-
✟38,345.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Protestant are cool to form their denomination by following different leaders and still call themselves Christian. I think this model make sense as the early Christian didn't submit to one and only authority. For instance the church in the locality A didn't submit to the church in locality B. So does Paul didn't regard Peter above him.

Contrary to the roman Catholic which claim the authority belongs to the pope, or the orthodox christian teach hierarchy of patriarch, protestant choose their leaders and form their own congregation.

Is my articulation right about protestantism right?

Reactions: Mark Quayle

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟324,300.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Protestant are cool to form their denomination by following different leaders and still call themselves Christian. I think this model make sense as the early Christian didn't submit to one and only authority. For instance the church in the locality A didn't submit to the church in locality B. So does Paul didn't regard Peter above him.

Contrary to the roman Catholic which claim the authority belongs to the pope, or the orthodox christian teach hierarchy of patriarch, protestant choose their leaders and form their own congregation.

It's not so much that protestants choose their own leaders but that they choose their own beliefs. If you look at the early reformers like Luther and Zwingli, they didn't simply separate themselves from the Roman Church, but redefined their core beliefs. And neither of them agreed as to what those beliefs were.

Upvote 0

Jesusthekingofking

Jun 16, 2019
-
✟38,345.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
It's not so much that protestants choose their own leaders but that they choose their own beliefs. If you look at the early reformers like Luther and Zwingli, they didn't simply separate themselves from the Roman Church, but redefined their core beliefs. And neither of them agreed as to what those beliefs were.
They choose their leaders who have the same belief system as them, that's what I mean.

Upvote 0

TheWhat?

Ate all the treats
Jul 3, 2021
SoCal
✟38,935.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
I think this model make sense as the early Christian didn't submit to one and only authority. For instance the church in the locality A didn't submit to the church in locality B. So does Paul didn't regard Peter above him.

I wouldn't agree with that assumption. A rigid hierarchy isn't something articulated very well by scripture, and the church in Jerusalem may have very well been non-hierarchichal, as in the council at Jerusalem in Acts 15, but that doesn't imply an absence of authority. Rather, think in terms of an apostolic tradition with a similar stance on unity and authority, but on another level. If the united body had all authority, there's no need for hierarchy.

So, a protestant denomination forming to model this is probably missing a major component. In all likelihood it's not the real thing.

Upvote 0

FutureAndAHope

Just me
Site Supporter
Aug 30, 2008
Australia
Visit site
✟734,719.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
As a protestant, I don't follow any specific leader, I read the Bible and follow that. I do attend church, I find the church I attend based upon scripture.

There are very few churches that follow the bible to the letter. As an example, our church allows women preachers, a thing that was not in the early church. I see this as a problem in our church, but not big enough to leave. However, I could never become a member of the Catholic Church, due to what I see as a number of big deviances from the Bible, like the teaching of Purgatory, and prayer to saints.

Upvote 0

Jesusthekingofking

Jun 16, 2019
-
✟38,345.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I wouldn't agree with that assumption. A rigid hierarchy isn't something articulated very well by scripture, and the church in Jerusalem may have very well been non-hierarchichal, as in the council at Jerusalem in Acts 15, but that doesn't imply an absence of authority. Rather, think in terms of an apostolic tradition with a similar stance on unity and authority, but on another level. If the united body had all authority, there's no need for hierarchy.

So, a protestant denomination forming to model this is probably missing a major component. In all likelihood it's not the real thing.
What is missing? Take anglican church for instance, the Bishop is the leader to the congregation, and the church members still worship God not blind follower of the Bishop.

Upvote 0

Jesusthekingofking

Jun 16, 2019
-
✟38,345.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
As a protestant, I don't follow any specific leader, I read the Bible and follow that. I do attend church, I find the church I attend based upon scripture.

There are very few churches that follow the bible to the letter. As an example, our church allows women preachers, a thing that was not in the early church. I see this as a problem in our church, but not big enough to leave. However, I could never become a member of the Catholic Church, due to what I see as a number of big deviances from the Bible, like the teaching of Purgatory, and prayer to saints.

You follow a leadership for sure. Your interpretation is influenced by leaders of your tradition or denomination, or which theologian of the past you ascribe to. If you didn't read any of them, then your own understanding of the bible is your own leader.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul.
Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,192,685.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
You follow a leadership for sure. Your interpretation is influenced by leaders of your tradition or denomination, or which theologian of the past you ascribe to. If you didn't read any of them, then your own understanding of the bible is your own leader.

The Bible talks about studying to show yourself approved and not just being spoon fed.

“Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.” (2 Timothy 2:15).

Then there is also 1 John 2:27 whereby these believers had the Anointing of the Spirit whereby they did not need any man to teach them, too.

“But the anointing which ye have received of him abideth in you, and ye need not that any man teach you: but as the same anointing teacheth you of all things, and is truth, and is no lie, and even as it hath taught you, ye shall abide in him.” (1 John 2:27).

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,192,685.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

Also, if one is simply spoon fed, they have to turn their brains off, and just blindly accept what their leaders say vs. knowing God’s Word like a good Berean for themselves. How would one know that their leaders are leading them into a ditch? My soul is too important to play games with to just blindly trust some guy alone to think for me. We have to study to show ourselves approved unto God.

Back in the day, there was a certain church that would just read the Word of God in Latin and the congregation did not understand Latin. They kept the Word of God from them by controlling them. See, that’s the real problem with just following the leader. There are so many ways a person can be deceived on what God’s Word says unless they simply read the Bible for themselves.

Upvote 0

TheWhat?

Ate all the treats
Jul 3, 2021
SoCal
✟38,935.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
What is missing? Take anglican church for instance, the Bishop is the leader to the congregation, and the church members still worship God not blind follower of the Bishop.

The apostolic traditions were probably founded as intended, so if you have a bishop it would be a good idea to follow him. A protestant congregation using scripture as their model is missing the gifts given to the Church at Jerusalem.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Jesusthekingofking

Jun 16, 2019
-
✟38,345.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The Bible talks about studying to show yourself approved and not just being spoon fed.

“Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.” (2 Timothy 2:15).

Then there is also 1 John 2:27 whereby these believers had the Anointing of the Spirit whereby they did not need any man to teach them, too.

“But the anointing which ye have received of him abideth in you, and ye need not that any man teach you: but as the same anointing teacheth you of all things, and is truth, and is no lie, and even as it hath taught you, ye shall abide in him.” (1 John 2:27).
So do you attend to any cell group to study the bible? Have you read any other book besides the bible?

Upvote 0

Jesusthekingofking

Jun 16, 2019
-
✟38,345.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The apostolic traditions were probably founded as intended, so if you have a bishop it would be a good idea to follow him. A protestant congregation using scripture as their model is missing the gifts given to the Church at Jerusalem.
What is the missing gifts?

Upvote 0

TheWhat?

Ate all the treats
Jul 3, 2021
SoCal
✟38,935.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
What is the missing gifts?

Primarily, prophets and apostles. The gift of prophecy is essential to the unity of the body, "speaking" in unison as moved by God, with authority that is from God. Hierarchies and authoritarianism of an earthly sort are a hindrance.

Upvote 0

SANTOSO

Jul 15, 2020
Jakarta
✟236,770.00
Country
Indonesia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Beloved one, where are written in the Holy Scriptures that the early Christians didn’t submit authority that comes from Christ?

For we heard:
“And Jesus came and spoke to them, saying, “All authority has been given to Me in heaven and on earth.”
‭‭Matthew‬ ‭28:18‬ ‭NKJV‬‬

Have you not heard what Christ have spoken:

"I still have many things to say to you, but you cannot bear them now. -John 16:12
When the Spirit of truth comes, he will guide you into all the truth, for he will not speak on his own authority, but whatever he hears he will speak, and he will declare to you the things that are to come. -John 16:13
He will glorify me, for he will take what is mine and declare it to you. -John 16:14
All that the Father has is mine; therefore I said that he will take what is mine and declare it to you. -John 16:15

Beloved one, we listen to the Holy Spirit’s authority, for Holy Spirit listens to Christ; and we listen to Holy Spirit who guides us into all the truth.

Beloved, are you concerned about Protestant forming their denomination by following different leaders and still call themselves Christian ? Have you not heard :

Now concerning spiritual gifts, brothers, I do not want you to be uninformed. -1 Corinthians 12:1
You know that when you were pagans you were led astray to mute idols, however you were led. -1 Corinthians 12:2
Therefore I want you to understand that no one speaking in the Spirit of God ever says "Jesus is accursed!" and no one can say "Jesus is Lord" except in the Holy Spirit. -1 Corinthians 12:3
Now there are varieties of gifts, but the same Spirit; -1 Corinthians 12:4
and there are varieties of service, but the same Lord; -1 Corinthians 12:5
and there are varieties of activities, but it is the same God who empowers them all in everyone. -1 Corinthians 12:6
To each is given the manifestation of the Spirit for the common good. -1 Corinthians 12:7

Beloved one, you are uninformed ! The variety of service, that Protestant have in their denominations, they serve the Lord Jesus Christ. There are different activities in the Protestant denominations, that God empowered. There are variety of gifts in Protestant denominations, that the Holy Spirit apportioned as He wills.

Beloved one, why you are calling Protestants who serve the Lord Jesus Christ, that God empowered and move with the variety gifts as Holy Spirit wills — that they are not Christians? What gospel have you heard ?

Remember what apostle Paul have said:
I am astonished that you are so quickly deserting him who called you in the grace of Christ and are turning to a different gospel' -Galatians 1:6
not that there is another one, but there are some who trouble you and want to distort the gospel of Christ. -Galatians 1:7
But even if we or an angel from heaven should preach to you a gospel contrary to the one we preached to you, let him be accursed. -Galatians 1:8
As we have said before, so now I say again: If anyone is preaching to you a gospel contrary to the one you received, let him be accursed. -Galatians 1:9
For am I now seeking the approval of man, or of God? Or am I trying to please man? If I were still trying to please man, I would not be a servant of Christ. -Galatians 1:10

Beloved one, there are some trouble you and want to distort the gospel of Jesus Christ.
Don’t listen to them !

Beloved one, have they not troubled you by saying “For instance the church in the locality A didn't submit to the church in locality B. So does Paul didn't regard Peter above him.” and also “Contrary to the roman Catholic which claim the authority belongs to the pope, or the orthodox christian teach hierarchy of patriarch, protestant choose their leaders and form their own congregation.”?

Have you not heard that apostle Peter also regard apostle Paul when we heard him said:

Therefore, beloved, since you are waiting for these, be diligent to be found by him without spot or blemish, and at peace. -2 Peter 3:14
And count the patience of our Lord as salvation, just as our beloved brother Paul also wrote to you according to the wisdom given him, -2 Peter 3:15
as he does in all his letters when he speaks in them of these matters. There are some things in them that are hard to understand, which the ignorant and unstable twist to their own destruction, as they do the other Scriptures. -2 Peter 3:16

Beloved one, don’t be like those twist what apostle Paul and Peter have spoken to their own destruction, and who are ignorant and unstable.

Repent, for the kingdom of God is at hand. Believe in the gospel of Jesus Christ.

To God be all glory, power and praise forever and ever. Amen

Reactions: dqhall
Upvote 0

Silverback

Feb 13, 2019
South East
✟66,766.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married

It was never Luther's intent to break away from the Catholic Church...but to reform it. Later he realized a split was inevitable, but did not want people calling themselves "Lutherans" but that was inevitable as well, but mostly happened after his death.

Every protestant tradition I know of would say that "we are saved by Gods grace through faith"

When you start to unpack that simple phrase is when you start to see the divisions rear their ugly head, and the more you try to figure it it all out, the more confused things get.

Some traditions accept one, or all of the Christian creeds, some accept none.

Some traditions have confessional writings that try to define their beliefs, but even within their own ranks these are not always truly or fully accepted.

And it steam rolls, the more you study, the more questions come up that no one can really answer.

When I was on my journey, this was what I ran into, and someone told me "look, you just have to pick something and stick to it".

My denomination, the Lutheran Church - Missouri Synod (LCMS) subscribes the the ancient creeds, and the confessional documents contained in the Book of Concord. However, some clergy are not really confessional, and never mention this book, so, what can a person do? sooner, or later, one must choose something, or be driven to despair.

I don't regret my decision

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,192,685.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
So do you attend to any cell group to study the bible?

How do you know that Jesus is King of Kings? How do you know that we are to have fellowship? The Bible tells us so.

Again, what do you make of the verses I brought to you before like 2 Timothy 2:15 KJB and 1 John 2:27?

You said:
Have you read any other book besides the bible?

But no other book gives you the faith.
No other book is God's Word.
Faith comes by hearing, and hearing the Word of God (Romans 10:17).

• Agree
Reactions: Silverback
Upvote 0

dqhall

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2015
Florida
Visit site
✟766,603.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

I use the scriptures and Bible commentary. People may pray seeking God’s advice in the name of Jesus and not pray to a pastor or priest.

I like Catholics and Protestants who preach against premarital sex. Lust caused populations to swell beyond the capacity of the workers to feed, clothe and shelter them.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married

As with other issues involving "Protestants," it depends on which church we're talking about.

• Agree
Reactions: dqhall
Upvote 0

Brian Mcnamee

Feb 2, 2017
usa
✟221,465.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

Hi there is an old gambling game called pachinko where steel balls are launched up into a field of pegs or nails and the balls can go on either side of every single nail so many possible paths are on the board and some paths lead to the mouth of an open flower and if your ball is on that path you win more balls the balls are like coins so it is a gambling machine. Now is the Bible every single doctrinal issue has at least two ways you can go and some definitely are more fruitful than others. So each church has chosen its distinct path based on their doctrinal beliefs based on their Biblical interpretation. There is a lot of latitude here and we can discuss our differences if we share the same gospel. We are united in Christ.

Upvote 0

Aussie Pete

Site Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟727,600.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced

Yes. I take it further than most denominations. Calling yourself Baptist or AOG or whatever is unbiblical. Then to have an oversight over what is supposed to the local church just adds to the problem. God has a stethoscope, not a doctrinal entrance exam. There is no Baptist heaven, even though some Baptists would argue the point. Some denominations are so exclusive even God can't get in. All God looks at is are you alive or dead? The born again are alive. Everyone else is dead in trespass and sin.

Upvote 0