W2L

Jun 26, 2016
USA
✟213,573.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Im not sure where i implied it was a sin to be rich?
god said to Solomon, “Since this is your heart’s desire and you have not asked for wealth, possessions or honor, nor for the death of your enemies,
Its my opinion that God gave Solomon wealth to teach him about wisdom. All is vanity says the preacher. Solomon eventually found out that wealth was vanity. Now hes on the road to wisdom. Prosperity preachers like to use Solomon as an example of our faith, but they forget to preach the part where he says everything is vanity. Jesus and the apostles are our examples and they didnt live in luxury.

As far as Solomon's wisdom goes:

Matthew 13:16 But blessed are your eyes because they see, and your ears because they hear. 17 For truly I tell you, many prophets and righteous people longed to see what you see but did not see it, and to hear what you hear but did not hear it.

Reactions: messianist
Upvote 0

RaymondG

Nov 15, 2016
USA
✟268,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If prosperity preaching were truth, then the church could easily wipe out poverty by giving. This however hasnt happened. All i see is wealthy preachers getting rich selling prosperity doctrine and using that money to buy mansions while some poor are neglected. Im not judging, just observing and discussing the issue.
I have to admit...I know little of the prosperity preachers or doctrine. All I here is the verses from the bible they use...... Yet how can you quote the bible and say the Word is not truth?

I find little value in pointing out the wrong in others........I'd rather counter it with the Truth.

You have a strong desire to not be rich.....and this is to be commended unless you start to feel that you are holier than those who desire the opposite....

Last edited:
Upvote 0

W2L

Jun 26, 2016
USA
✟213,573.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
You are a in good favor.....for it is better to discover these things before the grave, as there is no repentance after it......where more discover the err in their ways.

Note I cannot judge the heart, nor wish to......I can only believe what you say is true of yourself...

I agree.....and the more you give, the more you will have to give...... so it you desire to have little or nothing....you must stop giving......
You see riches in worldly wealth while i see riches in heavenly wealth.

Note I cannot judge the heart, nor wish to......I can only believe what you say is true of yourself...

Where your treasure is so is your heart.

• Informative
Reactions: RaymondG
Upvote 0

1stcenturylady

Spirit-filled follower of Christ
Site Supporter
Feb 13, 2017
Tennessee
✟431,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
no problem thanks for addressing the question.

What I said in direct answer to you was your statement about some TV evangelists. I thought it was funny, but astute. I said, they were extortioners, and we are not to even have lunch with them. 1 Corintians 5:11 But now I have written to you not to keep company with anyone named a brother, who is sexually immoral, or covetous, or an idolater, or a reviler, or a drunkard, or an extortioner—not even to eat with such a person.

So I agreed with you. Some overlook "extortioner" and all it entails, and merely focus on the sexually immoral portion of the admonishment.

Reactions: messianist
Upvote 0

W2L

Jun 26, 2016
USA
✟213,573.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I have to admit...I no little of the prosperity preachers or doctrine. All I here is the verses from the bible they use...... Yet how can you quote the bible and say the Word is not truth?

I find little value in pointing out the wrong in others........I'd rather counter it with the Truth.

You have a strong desire to not be rich.....and this is to be commended unless you start to feel that you are holier than those who desire the opposite....
You are pointing out wrong in me (according to you ) but then act like you dont point out wrong in people? and then you warn about being holier than thou? Do you see a problem here brother?

Upvote 0

YeshuaFan

Oct 19, 2018
Macomb
✟56,324.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Prosperity preachers say God wants us to be rich, having an abundance of wealth. However Jesus said not to store money on earth but in heaven. How do prosperity proponents explain this? How can i have wealth if im not storing it on earth? If i build a luxurious mansion, am i following Jesus command that says not to store wealth on earth?
The financial blessings of God are not sinful, BUT, they are to be used to build up the Kingdom and bring glory to God, and for every rich person in the Kingdom, there will be many more poorer ones, for Jesus said that the poor shall always be with us!
I cannot see how one can be wealthy and harmonize having multiple big houses and expensive cars, jewelry etc, and yet are not supporting missions or church activities that much!

Upvote 0

dysert

Feb 29, 2012
USA
✟112,984.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
What's very interesting is that several months ago I conducted an unofficial poll among Christians right here on CF. Without exception (well, there might have been one), everyone said that they would like to be rich. So while I don't condone the false teachers, I can see how so many people would be swayed by them.

Upvote 0

W2L

Jun 26, 2016
USA
✟213,573.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
The financial blessings of God are not sinful, BUT, they are to be used to build up the Kingdom and bring glory to God, and for every rich person in the Kingdom, there will be many more poorer ones, for Jesus said that the poor shall always be with us!
I cannot see how one can be wealthy and harmonize having multiple big houses and expensive cars, jewelry etc, and yet are not supporting missions or church activities that much!
In my opinion, the man who builds a mansion while people live in shacks, and the man who dresses in expensive clothes while others dress in dirty rags, and while children dig in garbage dumps, this man lacks discernment.

Matthew 25:37 “Then the righteous will answer him, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink? 38 When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you? 39 When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?’

40 “The King will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.’

Revelation 3:17 You say, ‘I am rich; I have acquired wealth and do not need a thing.’ But you do not realize that you are wretched, pitiful, poor, blind and naked. 18 I counsel you to buy from me gold refined in the fire, so you can become rich; and white clothes to wear, so you can cover your shameful nakedness; and salve to put on your eyes, so you can see.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

W2L

Jun 26, 2016
USA
✟213,573.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
What's very interesting is that several months ago I conducted an unofficial poll among Christians right here on CF. Without exception (well, there might have been one), everyone said that they would like to be rich. So while I don't condone the false teachers, I can see how so many people would be swayed by them.
If one wishes to have wealth to build hospitals thats one thing, but to build a mansion thats another thing altogether.

1 Timothy 6:9 But those who want to get rich fall into temptation and a snare and many foolish and harmful desires which plunge men into ruin and destruction.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

W2L

Jun 26, 2016
USA
✟213,573.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Normally the Christian work ethic will line our pockets quite well. Also help keep us out of trouble.
In this country perhaps, but not other places. I see children digging in garbage dumps, living in shacks, dressed in filthy rags. Some of these children are christian some are not. I doubt their religion matters however, Jesus wants us to feed them all im sure. Right now a child is dying of malnutrition, while we Americans just bought the newest iphone. I wonder where all the churches and preachers are, as these kids suffer.

• Informative
Reactions: Dave L
Upvote 0

bcbsr

Mar 17, 2003
Visit site
✟201,456.00
Faith
Christian
Prosperity preachers say God wants us to be rich, having an abundance of wealth. However Jesus said not to store money on earth but in heaven. How do prosperity proponents explain this? How can i have wealth if im not storing it on earth? If i build a luxurious mansion, am i following Jesus command that says not to store wealth on earth?
Here's a prayer I recommend for such people:

Pr 30:7-9 Two things I ask of you, O LORD; do not refuse me before I die: Keep falsehood and lies far from me; give me neither poverty nor riches, but give me only my daily bread. Otherwise, I may have too much and disown you and say, ‘Who is the LORD?’ Or I may become poor and steal, and so dishonor the name of my God.

Watch out! Be on your guard against all kinds of greed; a man’s life does not consist in the abundance of his possessions. Lk 12:15

Upvote 0

food4thought

Loving truth
Site Supporter
Jul 9, 2002
Watervliet, MI
✟383,729.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I have to admit...I no little of the prosperity preachers or doctrine. All I here is the verses from the bible they use...... Yet how can you quote the bible and say the Word is not truth?

Hi Raymond. I agree with the general thrust of your post, but feel the need to point out what Paul said about desiring riches:

1 Timothy 6:6-11 NASB But godliness actually is a means of great gain when accompanied by contentment. (7) For we have brought nothing into the world, so we cannot take anything out of it either. (8) If we have food and covering, with these we shall be content. (9) But those who want to get rich fall into temptation and a snare and many foolish and harmful desires which plunge men into ruin and destruction. (10) For the love of money is a root of all sorts of evil, and some by longing for it have wandered away from the faith and pierced themselves with many griefs. (11) But flee from these things, you man of God, and pursue righteousness, godliness, faith, love, perseverance and gentleness.

Having money is no sin, but desiring riches is a path that leads many to "ruin and destruction", and they "pierce themselves with many griefs". Earlier in the same passage, he seems to say that those who hold to the prosperity doctrine of faith leading to material gain are of a "depraved mind" and "deprived of the truth". The prosperity "gospel" is no gospel at all to those without the means to earn a great deal of money. Think of all the faithful, godly saints in the 3rd world who live their entire lives in abject poverty! Think of the story of the rich man and Lazarus... who was the man of faith in that story? The prosperity "gospel" teaches that if one is holy enough and has enough faith, they will get whatever material blessing they desire. The teachers often fleece their flocks with the teaching that if the flock gives a certain amount of money to their "ministry" they will receive ten-fold (or more) in return.

The prosperity "gospel" flies in the face of so much of what Jesus and the Apostles taught, and it makes a mockery of the righteous poor in our country and around the world. Not to mention those who are unbelievers looking on and seeing the blatant greed and deceit of these teachers, and rejecting Jesus because of them. These false teachers will one day face the Lord, and woe to them! Remember all that Jesus, Paul, and Jude had to say about false teachers. I suggest you watch some of these "preachers" on CBN... they are absolute charlatans getting rich off the back of the gullible, and I fear for the souls of those who buy into this false teaching that makes God into an ATM.

Alright... /rant

To be fair, Jesus makes many promises for answered prayer, but one must always take into account the context of the entire Bible. What does James say?

James 4:3 NASB You ask and do not receive, because you ask with wrong motives, so that you may spend it on your pleasures.

That mistake is at the heart of the prosperity "gospel" as I have seen it taught. Name it and claim it. Blab it and grab it. It is a disgrace to God who desires to give us good things so that we can be a blessing to others, not so we can get a Mercedes! Again, I'll say it: The prosperity "gospel" is the most widely held heresy in the US.

• Informative
Reactions: RaymondG
Upvote 0

W2L

Jun 26, 2016
USA
✟213,573.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Here's a prayer I recommend for such people:

Pr 30:7-9 Two things I ask of you, O LORD; do not refuse me before I die: Keep falsehood and lies far from me; give me neither poverty nor riches, but give me only my daily bread. Otherwise, I may have too much and disown you and say, ‘Who is the LORD?’ Or I may become poor and steal, and so dishonor the name of my God.

Watch out! Be on your guard against all kinds of greed; a man’s life does not consist in the abundance of his possessions. Lk 12:15
Thank you. That proverb has shaped my thinking.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

LovebirdsFlying

My husband drew this cartoon of me.
Christian Forums Staff
Red Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Aug 13, 2007
Washington (the state)
✟839,648.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I think where a lot of the prosperity crowd goes wrong is in misunderstanding and/or misapplying the Scriptures they quote.

"My God shall supply all your needs" is one they like to take out of context. Some people ignore that the key word here is "needs." Not "wants." Do I need transportation? If He points me to a charity that helps people with bus passes, He's done His part. Do I need food? If I've had a sandwich today, He's met my need. He never promised me I'd be driving a new Rolls Royce to the country club to dine on steak and lobster.

Upvote 0

W2L

Jun 26, 2016
USA
✟213,573.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I think where a lot of the prosperity crowd goes wrong is in misunderstanding and/or misapplying the Scriptures they quote.

"My God shall supply all your needs" is one they like to take out of context. Some people ignore that the key word here is "needs." Not "wants." Do I need transportation? If He points me to a charity that helps people with bus passes, He's done His part. Do I need food? If I've had a sandwich today, He's met my need. He never promised me I'd be driving a new Rolls Royce to the country club to dine on steak and lobster.
Yes i agree. Jesus promised that God would supply our food and clothing. He never promised a multi million dollar mansion.

Upvote 0

YeshuaFan

Oct 19, 2018
Macomb
✟56,324.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
In my opinion, the man who builds a mansion while people live in shacks, and the man who dresses in expensive clothes while others dress in dirty rags, and while children dig in garbage dumps, this man lacks discernment.

Matthew 25:37 “Then the righteous will answer him, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink? 38 When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you? 39 When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?’

40 “The King will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.’

Revelation 3:17 You say, ‘I am rich; I have acquired wealth and do not need a thing.’ But you do not realize that you are wretched, pitiful, poor, blind and naked. 18 I counsel you to buy from me gold refined in the fire, so you can become rich; and white clothes to wear, so you can cover your shameful nakedness; and salve to put on your eyes, so you can see.
God gives just to SOME financial blessings, but that is to have them support and pay for His kingdom to be built up, as in missions, training, providing food and clothing and care etc!

Upvote 0

W2L

Jun 26, 2016
USA
✟213,573.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
God gives just to SOME financial blessings, but that is to have them support and pay for His kingdom to be built up, as in missions, training, providing food and clothing and care etc!
Some men build upon a Rock and others on a rock.

Upvote 0

Kenny'sID

Site Supporter
Feb 28, 2016
USA
✟585,394.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
How do prosperity proponents explain this?

Of they'll find something in the bible they can twist into the nonsense the greedy/lazy will believe. Wonder how long those in their congregation generally take to realize they have/are being duped?

God has no problem with us being rich, many a good man in the bible was, but he doesn't just grant it. Work hard, be smart, and do well, don't and don't.

Upvote 0