Prosperity gospel, the wrong motivation?

Kenny'sID

Site Supporter
Feb 28, 2016
USA
✟585,394.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Most Christians don't fully understand what prosperity is. Remember that Joseph was a prosperous man yet he was in prison. Prosperity involves spirit soul and body. Prosperity is not about having masses of material wealth...

I think the subject is money prosperity.

Upvote 0

Pethesedzao

Dec 29, 2018
Bristol
✟24,854.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
But godliness is not about financial gain, as Paul said, so what gain is he referring to? Also, the prosperity doctrine doesnt seem to be about financial contentment but rather financial gain.
Godliness is profitable for all things

Upvote 0

Pavel Mosko

Arch-Dude of the Apostolic
Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2016
Boyertown, PA.
✟768,575.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Why is it that prosperity preachers dont teach us to give out of love rather than material gain? Why is our motivation for giving so that we may receive material blessing rather than for sharing love with others? Is love not our motivation in these churches?

I will take the Faith / Prosperity preachers word for it on the matter. Back in the early 90s, I was in that movement. According to Hagin, and Copeland etc. they saw many poor Christians and they believed they were in poverty unnecessarily (That Christ had paid for them to have material blessings as well as health besides having their sins paid for according to their understanding and reading of various passages of the Bible). So in their mind this was an act of love for the folks they ministered too. (Of course in time you can also easily make an argument that this also is a very self serving message that enriches the people who preach it!)

My biggest beef with these people is they have a narrow theology and generally cherry pick the Bible paying attention only to passages that fit their preconceptions, and ignore or easily dismiss passages that go against them. In particular the need for suffering, "taking up our cross", "thorns in the flesh" is a large theme in the Bible that goes against their theology. God uses suffering, trials and tribulations to shape and perfect us, and he also uses them to bring forward his long term plans for the Earth and His people. But they have trouble understanding and dealing with that. (They acknowledge that problems come because Satan gets to tempt us, but seem to imply this is something that is allowed only for a short duration) But if you are Christian and find that your life does not fit their little Faith formulas (problems often exist as long term realities that we are forced to cope with) and you will find that you have no choice in realizing that truth and speaking of that I recommend this article. Failure | Reasonable Faith

Last edited:
Upvote 0

W2L

Jun 26, 2016
USA
✟213,573.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Being prosperous regarding money is having more than enough than you need and having a need to bless those who need it.
2 Corinthians 8:13 Our desire is not that others might be relieved while you are hard pressed, but that there might be equality. 14 At the present time your plenty will supply what they need, so that in turn their plenty will supply what you need. The goal is equality, 15 as it is written: “The one who gathered much did not have too much, and the one who gathered little did not have too little.”

Upvote 0

topher694

Go Turtle!
Jan 29, 2019
St. Cloud, MN
✟186,960.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
2 Corinthians 8:13 Our desire is not that others might be relieved while you are hard pressed, but that there might be equality. 14 At the present time your plenty will supply what they need, so that in turn their plenty will supply what you need. The goal is equality, 15 as it is written: “The one who gathered much did not have too much, and the one who gathered little did not have too little.”

What are trying to say with this?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

topher694

Go Turtle!
Jan 29, 2019
St. Cloud, MN
✟186,960.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
No. Where did i or that scripture say that?
That's what I'm asking.

You still haven't described what your point was. I could see people taking what you posted 3 or 4 different ways. I'm just trying to figure that out.

Upvote 0

W2L

Jun 26, 2016
USA
✟213,573.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
That's what I'm asking.

You still haven't described what your point was. I could see people taking what you posted 3 or 4 different ways. I'm just trying to figure that out.
He who gathered much had nothing left over because he gave his excess to the poor

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

W2L

Jun 26, 2016
USA
✟213,573.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Let me ask it this way... Are you saying he who gathered much was right or wrong?
He was right to gather more for those who didnt gather enough. He didnt gather more than he needed so he had more for himself, but gathered to give to others.

Upvote 0

Kenny'sID

Site Supporter
Feb 28, 2016
USA
✟585,394.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Being prosperous regarding money is having more than enough than you need and having a need to bless those who need it.

You keep misunderstanding, I think the op is talking about mainstream prosperity gospel, that's the only claim I'm making. Or are you saying no matter what, it cannot be defined as a bad thing?

If so, others would certainly differ on that opinion. Do you have a particular preacher you subscribe to in that area. And may I ask how much your prosperity has cost you?

Upvote 0