• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.

Prosecutors drop all charges against Jussie Smollett

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by jkjk, Mar 26, 2019.

1. bhsmte

bhsmte Newbie

+11,450
    Atheist
    Single
    US-Others
    That could be.

2. Ana the Ist

Ana the Ist Aggressively serene!

+5,025
    United States
    Atheist
    Married
    No offense...but two people admitted to perpetrating the alleged hate crime on his behalf. He can claim anything he wants...I don't think it's unreasonable to believe he got away with perpetrating a hoax.

He's the OJ Simpson of hate crimes.

• Winner Winner x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  3. JosephZ

JosephZ Well-Known Member

+661
    Philippines
    Non-Denom
    Private
    US-Others
    Keep in mind that this testimony came from two people who have major financial problems, have both filled bankruptcy in the past, and one has a violent history including being found guilty of aggravated assault. Whose to say that they weren't just looking out for their best interest when they claimed they were playing a part in Smollett's alleged hoax?

I agree that things don't look good for Smollett and he appears to be guilty of staging a hoax based on what has been reported.

4. CRAZY_CAT_WOMAN

CRAZY_CAT_WOMAN .

+2,286
    United States
    Seeker
    Single
    US-Others
    Not really. Usually courts try to make deals. Instead of going to trial. This is a non violence act. Where the prisons are loaded with the worst criminals.

5. Ana the Ist

+5,025
    United States
    Atheist
    Married
    The evidence. The hat, the rope, the bleach, the Uber driver who dropped them off near the crime scene. The sheer ridiculousness and unbelievable nature of the story. The magazines with letters cut out for the fake hate mail.

It doesn't seem likely that their confessions were fabricated. It seems extremely unlikely.

I can understand the impulse to look at this dismissal as justification for believing Smollett originally. It's probably worth keeping in mind that not being charged doesn't mean he didn't do it...and unless the police reopen the investigation into who perpetrated the "attack" against Smollett, they probably figure they had the right suspect.

I'm just curious about the reaction he's going to get from this.

6. Ana the Ist

+5,025
    United States
    Atheist
    Married
    It's got to be an odd position for Smollett...because I don't think anyone in his industry is obligated to believe in his innocence. It's taken far far less suspicion to ruin the careers of some celebrities who never even got charged with a crime.

The way forward for those celebrities was typically an apology, some time out of the public eye, and then a low-profile project or two. In Smollett's case, he can't really apologize for anything without an admission of guilt. The charges were dropped...but if he admits to what he's done, he could very well face charges again...and prosecutors wouldn't need much more than his admission of guilt. I suppose he could wait until the statute of limitations runs out...but I don't know if his career can wait that long.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  7. CRAZY_CAT_WOMAN

CRAZY_CAT_WOMAN .

+2,286
    United States
    Seeker
    Single
    US-Others
    I have a family member, that got an ID .Under someone else's name. The judge had him plead not guilty. Then the next time he went to court for it. Lawyers set up a deal for him . They had him pay $400, and do community. And it's not on his record anymore.It happens all the time. A slap on the hand.

8. SummerMadness

SummerMadness Senior Veteran

+7,490
    Christian
    He's been exonerated and some people are still arguing as if he's guilty of something.

9. bhsmte

bhsmte Newbie

+11,450
    Atheist
    Single
    US-Others
    I wish life was that simple, with traditional black and white thinking.

10. jkjk

jkjk 초능력을 쓴다

+179
    Kenya
    Christian
    Married
  11. Tutorman

Tutorman Charismatic Episcopalian

+1,291
    United States
    Episcopalian
    Married
    US-Republican
  12. MyOwnSockPuppet

MyOwnSockPuppet Regeneration of myself after computer failure

+234
    Atheist
    Married
    He's neither been exonerated or convicted. In Scots law it would probably be recorded as "not proven" absence of evidence isn't the same as evidence of absence.

The net result is that people will carry on thinking what they were thinking before, double jeopardy doesn't apply, and we can all go on with our lives.

13. Rion

Rion Annuit Cœptis Supporter

+6,188
    United States
    Lutheran
    Single
    Even Obama’s former senior advisor is calling this out for being complete bull squeeze. 784BD15D-1742-4C37-B6A4-9DA70EA3F687.png

14. SummerMadness

SummerMadness Senior Veteran

+7,490
    Christian
    It is rather clear, it was a complete and total exoneration.

15. Rion

Rion Annuit Cœptis Supporter

+6,188
    United States
    Lutheran
    Single
    LoL, no.

16. Goonie

Goonie Not so Mystic Mog. Supporter

+5,928
    United Kingdom
    Atheist
    Single
    And did Mueller completely exonerate Donald?

17. variant

variant Happy Cat

+3,677
    Agnostic
    Single
    Not really no.

Exoneration would mean we could prove he didn't commit the crime. When they drop charges it generally means they don't think they can demonstrate guilt.

I don't think we know why the charges were dropped yet.

18. Chesterton

Chesterton Whats So Funny bout Peace Love and Understanding Supporter

+14,940
    Eastern Orthodox
    Single
    Forfeit the bond. "Give us some money and you're free to go". Reminds me of that time when I was in Mexico and...oh, never mind.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • List
  19. Moral Orel

Moral Orel Proud Citizen of Moralton

+1,669
    United States
    Agnostic
    Married
    I think I'm the only one that gets it...

20. CRAZY_CAT_WOMAN

CRAZY_CAT_WOMAN .

+2,286
    United States
    Seeker
    Single
    US-Others
    He still plays on Empire. I'm not sure they care about an arrest record. Even if this whole thing was to get more money. When they fire him. He's done. Unless he finds a show, that doesn't care about his morals.