Iowa
✟7,850.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Hi my name is Jake and I have been dating my girlfriend for 6 months now. This past month, we were sent home from college, and we have been apart for multiple weeks. We live far apart so seeing each other often is not an option, and the time away has been really hard. We are both deeply rooted in our faith, and we have known we are going to eventually marry each other for a while now. This time away has made me consider marrying her sooner, and I know that we are both ready, its just it'll be hard discussing with my parents because they will think that it is too early.

Jake1688120

Apr 13, 2020
Iowa
✟7,850.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
God rules, jake1688120.

If it is His will, follow it.
Thanks man. I strongly believe that its God's will we get married, but I don't know yet what His will is for when. I just gotta keep praying about it.

Upvote 0

E.C.

Jan 12, 2007
✟135,721.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Keep the communication up, be open and honest, and, take it slow. As someone who's in the military and had plenty of long-distance relationships, that's the best advice I can give. As someone who's seen a lot of bad, toxic relationships of others while in the military, don't be in a rush! Take your time.

And from my friends who've been through college: get married after you both graduate. In their words not mine, a lot can happen between now and graduation.

Reactions: NerdGirl
Upvote 0

NerdGirl

The untamed daughter
Apr 14, 2020
USA
✟65,654.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Hi my name is Jake and I have been dating my girlfriend for 6 months now. This past month, we were sent home from college, and we have been apart for multiple weeks. We live far apart so seeing each other often is not an option, and the time away has been really hard. We are both deeply rooted in our faith, and we have known we are going to eventually marry each other for a while now. This time away has made me consider marrying her sooner, and I know that we are both ready, its just it'll be hard discussing with my parents because they will think that it is too early.

It *is* too early. Six months may seem like an eternity right now, but it's a drop in the bucket when you look at the bigger picture. A good rule of thumb is not to even consider marriage until you've dated at least one year. Especially if you live far apart for a portion of that time. You need to see the other person in a variety of situations and settings. You need to see how they handle stress, anger, money, a job, relationships. It takes time for flaws and vices to show up, as we always want to present our shiniest, most appealing selves to the person we're dating.

You should absolutely wait. Your parents will be correct in thinking it's too early.

Upvote 0

NerdGirl

The untamed daughter
Apr 14, 2020
USA
✟65,654.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Thanks man. I strongly believe that its God's will we get married, but I don't know yet what His will is for when. I just gotta keep praying about it.

If it's His will today, it will still be His will in a year, or five years, or ten years. There's absolutely no reason to rush.

Upvote 0