Discussion Prophecy does happen today

Gregory Thompson

Change is inevitable, feel free to spare some.
Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟721,286.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
To affirm, there are prophets of God today. Furthermore, God still speaks to us, we need to learn how to listen.

Following the biblical convention, there are also false prophets and people who do not know how to listen.

One way of knowing a prophet is false, is that they lie, and then twist their words to save face.

Falsehood, doubled down with pride does not represent the living God.

To state, "falsehood = God speaking," is to call God a liar - so the message does not follow.

However, human error or intentional deceit does not negate the fact that God still speaks to us directly today.

You can discuss the above, or about how to listen for God's voice , and provide scriptures to encourage others to do the same.

My encouraging message today for those who have been given the opportunity to humble themselves is from 2 Corinthians 12:9.

"I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ's power may rest on me"

So you were wrong, so what? humble yourself in the sight of the Lord, and he will lift you up - higher and higher as the song goes.

Pavel Mosko

Arch-Dude of the Apostolic
Supporter
Oct 4, 2016
Boyertown, PA.
✟768,575.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
It might surprise some people that one of the biggest influencers on prophets today and a controversial figure as far as NAR, Bill Hamon actually had a decent teaching on this going back decades.. (even before I was in the movement before the 90s).

inJesus.com - The Ten M's of Ministry, by Bill Hamon

Upvote 0

topher694

Go Turtle!
Jan 29, 2019
St. Cloud, MN
✟186,760.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
It might surprise some people that one of the biggest influencers on prophets today and a controversial figure as far as NAR, Bill Hamon actually had a decent teaching on this going back decades.. (even before I was in the movement before the 90s).

inJesus.com - The Ten M's of Ministry, by Bill Hamon
Bill Hamon is definitely a great voice to listen to when it comes to the prophetic. His focus centers on integrity over gifting.

Upvote 0

Jesse Dornfeld

Slave to Christ
Supporter
Oct 11, 2020
Twin Cities
Visit site
✟176,263.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Yes, prophecy is possible in today's day and age. However, the main thrust of prophecy is not "telling the future" and I think this is where a lot of people go wildly wrong. The main part of prophecy, IMO, is to remind God's people of His promises for them by the use of scripture. Isaiah didn't JUST tell the future, but mainly reminded the Israelites what God's promises for them was. Much of it actually worked LIKE the Law. What I mean is that in the Law, you see a bunch of "If, then" statement. "If you beat your slave and he dies, you will also die as punishment." That was how the Law functioned. The same is true in some sense with prophecy. For example, I recently felt I had a prophecy for one of the elders at my church, which was basically that I felt he had been faithful and generous and responsible with his finances and so God was going to bless him financially. No one actually told me that he had been generous, but I had the impression he was and so I relayed the message to him. You can find this in scripture in many places, even in the NT where God gives more to people who are responsible with what they have. That's an example.

Further, anyone has the potential to prophecy. It's not that God only uses X people to prophecy and Y people not to prophecy. Rather, it is far more fluid. Some people have the Gift of Prophecy, but that doesn't mean if you don't have that specific Spiritual Gift that you can never prophecy.

Upvote 0

topher694

Go Turtle!
Jan 29, 2019
St. Cloud, MN
✟186,760.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Prophecy is not foretelling it is forthtelling. It is God expressing what he wants to bring forth in your life. This is far more powerful than simply making accurate predictions. As such it has the power to propel us forward into God's plan and purpose for our life which is why he exhorts us to earnestly desire it. Every believer has the potential to prophesy, far to many believers never find it or even seek it.

Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Change is inevitable, feel free to spare some.
Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟721,286.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Prophecy is not foretelling it is forthtelling. It is God expressing what he wants to bring forth in your life. This is far more powerful than simply making accurate predictions. As such it has the power to propel us forward into God's plan and purpose for our life which is why he exhorts us to earnestly desire it. Every believer has the potential to prophesy, far to many believers never find it or even seek it.
Good post.

If making accurate predictions was the only criteria to be a prophet, then every medium and psychic that meets the same criteria would be a prophet too.

The woman who followed the apostles around endorsing their gospel, but she was demon possessed. Paul eventually exorcised the demon, but there was a lot of controversy since her owners used her accurate predictions to make money.

In addition to the "creation" element you brought up, the character of God needs to be apparent in the prophecy.

If someone says "true things" but basically sounds like a screamin' demon, no need to pay heed.

Upvote 0

topher694

Go Turtle!
Jan 29, 2019
St. Cloud, MN
✟186,760.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
In addition to the "creation" element you brought up, the character of God needs to be apparent in the prophecy.

If someone says "true things" but basically sounds like a screamin' demon, no need to pay heed.
Agreed. The heart of the Father must be at the core of every prophetic utterance. This is why the "love" chapter 13 of 1 Corinthians is sandwiched between chapters 12 & 14.

Upvote 0

hislegacy

Memories pre 2021
Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟689,334.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Agreed - well said

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Pioneer3mm

Supporter
Aug 12, 2018
North America
✟541,526.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
To have the gift of prophesying does not mean you automatically have the office of a prophet. Too many folks nowadays think they do, hence why they are always wrong.
Good post/comment..
---
You said,
"Too many folks nowadays think they do.."
- I agree.

Reactions: ARBITER01
Upvote 0

spiritfilledjm

Supporter
Apr 15, 2007
Indianapolis, Indiana
✟225,404.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
There are so many out there right now who prophesied incorrectly. Very few have apologized and owned up to their mistake. The false prophets who are refusing to repent are attacking them for repenting...sad world we live in.

• Informative
Reactions: lismore
Upvote 0

ARBITER01

Legend
Aug 12, 2007
✟161,231.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
This is how they have all been wrong,...

Act 21:8 And on the morrow we departed, and came unto Caesarea: and entering into the house of Philip the evangelist, who was one of the seven, we abode with him.
Act 21:9 Now this man had four daughters, virgins, which did prophesy.
Act 21:10 And as we tarried there many days, there came down from Judaea a certain prophet, named Agabus.

Act 21:11 And coming to us, and taking Paul's girdle, he bound his own feet and hands, and said, Thus saith the Holy Ghost, So shall the Jews at Jerusalem bind the man that owneth this girdle, and shall deliver him into the hands of the Gentiles.

Notice that the virtuous virgin daughters were not used by GOD to speak forth what was going to happen to Paul, GOD used an actual prophet.

Why is this????

Because of this,...

1Co 14:3 But he that prophesieth speaketh unto men to edification, and exhortation, and comfort.

The gift of prophesying was never a revelation gift. Their efforts to try and use the gift in that way have failed, and will always fail.

In reality, this should be a huge realization for the church, but it won't be.

Upvote 0

topher694

Go Turtle!
Jan 29, 2019
St. Cloud, MN
✟186,760.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Study the reasons why God wants Biden to be President. Understand His higher ways and lean not on your own understanding. His will be done.
This is not really in the spirit of this thread or this forum.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Collum Cille of Iona

Jun 28, 2005
✟2,015.00
Faith
Catholic
We can learn much from the attitude of the Blessed Virgin Mary:

“Behold, I am the servant of the Lord; let it be done to me according to your word,”

Submit ourselves to God and to his will. If many with so called 'gifts' would learn from the Blessed Virgin and submit to God's will they would not talk so much waffle!

Last edited:
Upvote 0