Prophecy as a sign of receiving the baptism of the Holy Spirit?

TruthSeek3r

Jan 18, 2020
Capital
✟128,643.00
Country
Chile
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I think everybody is aware of the existence of charismatic denominations that overemphasize tongues as a sign of being baptized in the Holy Spirit. But what about prophecy? There are examples in both the New Testament and the Old Testament of this happening. For instance:

5 On hearing this, they were baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus. 6 And when Paul had laid his hands on them, the Holy Spirit came on them, and they began speaking in tongues and prophesying. 7 There were about twelve men in all. [Acts 19:5-7 ESV]​

24 So Moses went out and told the people the words of the Lord. And he gathered seventy men of the elders of the people and placed them around the tent. 25 Then the Lord came down in the cloud and spoke to him, and took some of the Spirit that was on him and put it on the seventy elders. And as soon as the Spirit rested on them, they prophesied. But they did not continue doing it. 26 Now two men remained in the camp, one named Eldad, and the other named Medad, and the Spirit rested on them. They were among those registered, but they had not gone out to the tent, and so they prophesied in the camp. 27 And a young man ran and told Moses, “Eldad and Medad are prophesying in the camp.” 28 And Joshua the son of Nun, the assistant of Moses from his youth, said, “My lord Moses, stop them.” 29 But Moses said to him, “Are you jealous for my sake? Would that all the Lord's people were prophets, that the Lord would put his Spirit on them!” 30 And Moses and the elders of Israel returned to the camp. [Numbers 11:24-30 ESV]​

Does anyone know Christian groups/denominations that expect prophecy to manifest when someone is baptized in the Holy Spirit?

spiritfilledjm

Site Supporter
Apr 15, 2007
Indianapolis, Indiana
✟225,404.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I think everybody is aware of the existence of charismatic denominations that overemphasize tongues as a sign of being baptized in the Holy Spirit. But what about prophecy? There are examples in both the New Testament and the Old Testament of this happening. For instance:

5 On hearing this, they were baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus. 6 And when Paul had laid his hands on them, the Holy Spirit came on them, and they began speaking in tongues and prophesying. 7 There were about twelve men in all. [Acts 19:5-7 ESV]​

24 So Moses went out and told the people the words of the Lord. And he gathered seventy men of the elders of the people and placed them around the tent. 25 Then the Lord came down in the cloud and spoke to him, and took some of the Spirit that was on him and put it on the seventy elders. And as soon as the Spirit rested on them, they prophesied. But they did not continue doing it. 26 Now two men remained in the camp, one named Eldad, and the other named Medad, and the Spirit rested on them. They were among those registered, but they had not gone out to the tent, and so they prophesied in the camp. 27 And a young man ran and told Moses, “Eldad and Medad are prophesying in the camp.” 28 And Joshua the son of Nun, the assistant of Moses from his youth, said, “My lord Moses, stop them.” 29 But Moses said to him, “Are you jealous for my sake? Would that all the Lord's people were prophets, that the Lord would put his Spirit on them!” 30 And Moses and the elders of Israel returned to the camp. [Numbers 11:24-30 ESV]​

Does anyone know Christian groups/denominations that expect prophecy to manifest when someone is baptized in the Holy Spirit?

While tongues is the most common sign of it, I've seen other gifts manifesting when one receives the baptism of the Holy Spirit. I've seen people be prayed over to receive and they start prophecying, giving words of knowledge, hear someone else speaking in tongues and gives the interpretation. I have not, however, heard of a sect that expects prophecy or any other gift to manifest instead of tongues.

Upvote 0

Saint JOHN

May 5, 2017
Adelaide
✟20,848.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Tongues is "THE" 1st sign of receiving the Holy Spirit !!! the others are used mainly to edify the church (people not a building) you learn to use the gifts as you grow in the Lord, its a package deal.

Joh 4:24 God [is] a Spirit: and they that worship him MUST worship [him] in spirit and in truth.

Joh 17:17 Sanctify them through thy truth: thy word is truth ... so according to the word, how to worship Gods way;...
1Co 14:14 For if I pray in an [unknown] tongue, my spirit prayeth, but my understanding is unfruitful.

1Co 14:2 For he that speaketh in an [unknown] tongue speaketh not unto men, but unto God: for no man understandeth [him]; howbeit in the spirit he speaketh mysteries.

Read the book of Acts ,as examples for today as they recieved.
eg, Acts 2v4 ; acts 10v46 (your) acts 19v6 .. etc (how many times does God have to give examples !!??

In Acts 8v18+ here is a con artist/trickster saw something happen ! to the extent he is willing to pay money ! if it was just a nice feeling or something he could have coned that ( as most do today) without paying.

1Co 14:18 I thank my God, I speak with tongues more than ye all: (they ALL could and do still; BUT in THE CHURCH max 3 ...)

Jesus said : (to warn his disciples against religious types {which crucified him as they do today with there religious speak}not filled with Gods Spirit at all..)

Mark16v16 He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned.
17 And these signs shall follow them that believe; In my name shall they cast out devils; they shall speak with new tongues;
18 They shall take up serpents; and if they drink any deadly thing, it shall not hurt them; they shall lay hands on the sick, and they shall recover.

these follow true believers ,Gods way, you can try to change his words or even tear pages out to suit yourself; but this is how you KNOW someone is a TRUE CHRISTIAN (anointed one)

yes there was nice people in the time of Jesus ,waving hands saying Hallelujah etc etc but who is this carpenters son to tell us we are way off the mark !!

Ro 8:9 But ye are not in the flesh, but in the Spirit, "if" so be that the Spirit of God dwell in you. Now if any man have not the Spirit of Christ, he is none of his.

Lots of confusion otherwise and who do you think wants that !!!? any way but Gods way.
Get the real in your face response and let God himself do the teaching by his spirit he is big enough..

Lu 6:46 And why call ye me, Lord, Lord, and do not the things which I say?

Upvote 0