Michigan
✟13,465.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
You're right in the sense that the Incompleteness theorems are pure math. But everything in the universe is based on math. An excellent way to demonstrate a point of philosophy or religion is to use math, which is what this whole thread is about.
Is transcription mathematical? I certainly haven't seen any math associated with it. And all I need is one process to disprove you saying that everything is mathematical.
Reality is not Star Trek--I apply Godel's theorems to say that time machines, warp drivers, and worm holes will always be outside the capacity of human ingenuity. I will not be proven wrong on this. Abiogenesis isn't reality either. Why base an atheistic religion and philosophy on an idea that has no mathematical basis? [Though maybe someone out there has a mathematical basis they would like to share with the rest of us.]
You are the one who threw together a model that is complete and total garbage, refused to use it on an organic reaction (whether you like it or not, abiogenesis is chemistry and if you can't apply it to chemistry you have nothing), and have since changed the subject at least twice. You're running. You have nothing and you know it.
As for a model, here's a model. It's not my fault that you erroneously state that everything has to be driven by pure math and pure chance. You are no different that the people that pushed vitalism. Especially since it was disproven using the Wohler synthesis which isn't really mathematical either. Unless you somehow call this math:
ee78ef7044363afd7d837bd20f343cbe.png

Upvote 0

Vene

In memory of ChordatesLegacy
Oct 20, 2007
Michigan
✟13,465.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Honestly, what is being argued here? What is True_Blue trying to say?

He keeps on as if there's some "ineffible" quality about life such that he has declared some possible reactions "off limits" because they are a violation of the Second Law of Thermodynamics.
Maybe he really is a proponent of vitalism. I guess he's still mentally a child, they're the ones who jump to conclusions about life being some special force. (link)

Upvote 0

pgp_protector

Noted strange person
Dec 17, 2003
Earth For Now
Visit site
✟392,843.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Maybe he really is a proponent of vitalism. I guess he's still mentally a child, they're the ones who jump to conclusions about life being some special force. (link)

Goes googling vitalism.

Upvote 0

True_Blue

Non-denominational, literalist YEC Christian
Mar 4, 2004
California
✟2,444.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Honestly, what is being argued here? What is True_Blue trying to say?

He keeps on as if there's some "ineffible" quality about life such that he has declared some possible reactions "off limits" because they are a violation of the Second Law of Thermodynamics.

How many times must someone post this equation? I dunno, but I'll do it yet again in hopes that True_Blue will actually address the science rather than throw out more meaningless rhetoric:

DG = DH - TDS

So, True_Blue, what about it? You are obsessed on the linearity or non-linearlity of DS, who cares about that? Please tell me how biochemical systems cannot contain any negative DS terms? Because we know that some biochemical processes (like the attachment of a small molecule to a protein, for instance) result in a loss of rotational degrees of freedom and therefore a loss of entropy, but the key is that the larger overall system gains in entropy (ie water displaced from the surface of the protein).

You seem to be oversimplifying the system again. As if Entropy is somehow totally antithetical to natural life to the point that life cannot exist without some supernatural intervention. Is that your stance?

Because it is demonstrably wrong to assume all entropy is always and ever increasing at every point in every system.

I hope ultimately you will address details of your "hypothesis", but I also realize this is very hard for you, owing to your not knowing much chemistry.

But that is precisely why you need to be careful in telling chemists how they are mistaken.

Please, start with one simple aspect of biochemistry that you can provide quantities for that proves that life is impossible without supernatural intervention.

I dearly would love to better understand what you are on about here and how it provides you with some proof of God's intervention.

I suspect what you are claiming to be further "proof" of God is actually just a failure on your part to take into account all the balances of entropy.

(in other words if you think one reaction that results in a decrease in entropy is ipso facto proof that God must be in command, I would imagine a scientist could come along and point out that indeed this reaction does show a DECREASE in entropy but only because a linked, and perfectly natural process is showing a concommittant increase in entropy. You have merely opted for a "God of the Gaps" hypothesis in a place where most of the gaps are filled already. This is why it would really help if you would learn enough chemistry so you could more effectively express your hypothesis.)

Interestingly, Thaumaturgy, several months ago I went out looking for scientists and scientific articles on the thermodynamics of photosynthesis in order to find the answer to a very specific technical question. After weeks of searching, I was unable to find what I was looking for. Most scientists specialize in very narrow areas, which works well most of the time, and an interdisciplinary approach to science is rare.

Anyways, you're looking at thermodynamics through a soda straw. Life exists in the presence of entropy because once life comes into being, it's mechanical processes are sustained by the influx of far more exogenous energy (90-99.9%) from the outside than the work that the life form generates. But that's just one narrow aspect of thermodynamics. The other aspects relate to the organization construct of the life form itself, similar to information entropy and the other forms of entropy I linked to earlier. Information entropy is one of many facets of a larger law at work. Thus, you can keep pouring gasoline into a car engine to allow the engine to operate despite the large amount of heat lost to entropy, but over time, the car engine itself will inevitably break down because the orderliness of the information contained in the engine will lose cohesion.

"But, at a more philosophical level, connections can be made between thermodynamic and informational entropy, although it took many years in the development of the theories of statistical mechanics and information theory to make the relationship fully apparent. In fact, in the view of Jaynes (1957), thermodynamics should be seen as an application of Shannon's information theory: the thermodynamic entropy is interpreted as being an estimate of the amount of further Shannon information needed to define the detailed microscopic state of the system, that remains uncommunicated by a description solely in terms of the macroscopic variables of classical thermodynamics." http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Information_entropy

My intuition that entropy is nonlinear seems to have been proven out in Shannon entropy, or information entropy. I'm reasonably sure that all forms of entropy, once properly described, will be shown to be non-linear.

To answer your question about biochemistry, consider the coin toss chart on this link. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Information_entropy. When molecules react to form the 4 base units of DNA, the 4 units must organize themselves in specific ways to create a life form with functionality. Think of it as a four-sided coin. If you assume they have a 75% chance of creating a pattern condusive to organized life every time each base unit comes together, take .75 to the power of the minimum number of base pairs needed to make a functional life form. The probability of success follows the profile of the chart, and crashes rapidly and non-linearly to zero.

I recall many years ago seeing an interesting chart showing fitness over time for a healthy adult who eats right, exercises, and doesn't smoke. They are able to maintain a high level of fitness that decayed very slowly until the reached their early 80s, then their bodies would suddenly fall apart. Despite the constant addition of food, sunlight, and medical care, entropy catches up, and when it does, it catches up fast. I haven't been able to find that chart, but it models the nonlinearity of the information entropy implicit in the human body.

Upvote 0

thaumaturgy

Nov 17, 2006
✟12,333.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married

I have little doubt this is very much in line with many Fundamentalists view of life. I cannot say I wholly understand the terminology for this "causality", but indeed it seems that people who wish to imbue the human body with a "soul" are seeking some "vital essence" that is ineffible and unquantifiable. A special "otherness" that separates life from non-life.

It's definitely an attractive concept, especially when someone thinks that if you consider life part of a chemical continuum that it someone "makes life less special".

I can understand why someone would want to feel special. It's a perfectly human desire. We all want that. It's harder for the religious who are often wont to somehow parse humanity from 'animals'.

I'm not sure if True_Blue would go that far, but it is certainly a common attitude among Creationists.

In fact the thing I find most common among Creationists is often a disgust at thinking of humans as animals. But again I don't think True_Blue has made that comment.

But True_Blue is obviously kind of obsessed with life being somehow special in some ineffible way. I am still unsure if he is of the opinion that life is somehow special because it somehow "violates the Second Law" in such a way as to require a supernatural force to maintain it.

If that is the case then he needs to better explain what parts are in violation of the 2nd Law such that there isn't a larger system in play in which a given decrease in entropy is not somehow offset by a greater increase in the larger system.

True_Blue won't deal with the Gibbs Free energy expression so we can't get him to discuss entropic terms in detail.

Still nice link! Thanks.

Reactions: TheManeki
Upvote 0

True_Blue

Mar 4, 2004
California
✟2,444.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Ok here is another example of a very simple reaction that leads to a decrease of entropy in a chemical/molecular system. It's called a [2+2] cycloaddition...

When you add in the applicable UV radiation as part of the overall system, the entropy increases.

Upvote 0

True_Blue

Mar 4, 2004
California
✟2,444.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I have little doubt this is very much in line with many Fundamentalists view of life. I cannot say I wholly understand the terminology for this "causality", but indeed it seems that people who wish to imbue the human body with a "soul" are seeking some "vital essence" that is ineffible and unquantifiable. A special "otherness" that separates life from non-life.

It's definitely an attractive concept, especially when someone thinks that if you consider life part of a chemical continuum that it someone "makes life less special".

I can understand why someone would want to feel special. It's a perfectly human desire. We all want that. It's harder for the religious who are often wont to somehow parse humanity from 'animals'.

I'm not sure if True_Blue would go that far, but it is certainly a common attitude among Creationists.

In fact the thing I find most common among Creationists is often a disgust at thinking of humans as animals. But again I don't think True_Blue has made that comment.

But True_Blue is obviously kind of obsessed with life being somehow special in some ineffible way. I am still unsure if he is of the opinion that life is somehow special because it somehow "violates the Second Law" in such a way as to require a supernatural force to maintain it.

If that is the case then he needs to better explain what parts are in violation of the 2nd Law such that there isn't a larger system in play in which a given decrease in entropy is not somehow offset by a greater increase in the larger system.

True_Blue won't deal with the Gibbs Free energy expression so we can't get him to discuss entropic terms in detail.

Still nice link! Thanks.

Thaumaturgy, recommend you watch I, Robot, if you haven't already. It's a good movie starring Will Smith, and it demonstrates that people can readily distinguish between a sentient robot and a mundane robot. If people can ever create a sentient robot, or even a sentient computer program, then creationists will have been proved completely wrong. Until then, I am quite confident that the Creationist notion of the ineffable Breath of Life is precisely on target.

Upvote 0

pgp_protector

Noted strange person
Dec 17, 2003
Earth For Now
Visit site
✟392,843.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Thaumaturgy, recommend you watch I, Robot, if you haven't already. It's a good movie starring Will Smith, and it demonstrates that people can readily distinguish between a sentient robot and a mundane robot. If people can ever create a sentient robot, or even a sentient computer program, then creationists will have been proved completely wrong. Until then, I am quite confident that the Creationist notion of the ineffable Breath of Life is precisely on target.

Please tell me this is a joke.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

LewisWildermuth

Senior Veteran
May 17, 2002
Bloomington, Illinois
✟11,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
When you add in the applicable UV radiation as part of the overall system, the entropy increases.

Actually you have decreased entropy in your argument. The introduction of UV is adding available energy to work with, thus decreasing entropy.

You really should learn something about what you are arguing against. You claim to have a "Super Degree" in science but you constantly spout falsehoods that even a first year science student should be able to see.

Did you sleep through all your science classes? Did you even any at all?

Upvote 0

TheManeki

Christian Humanist
Jun 5, 2007
Visit site
✟21,334.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Somewhere Isaac Asimov and Alan Turing are spinning in their graves, and somewhere else Harlan Ellison is is struck with a sudden yearning to rend someone limb from shining limb... :D

Upvote 0

LewisWildermuth

Senior Veteran
May 17, 2002
Bloomington, Illinois
✟11,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

You do realise that there were no real robots in that movie don't you?

That the robot was played by the same guy that played Wash in Serenity/Firefly?

By your logic he is now dead since he took a harpoon to the chest when landing on Mr. Universes planet I guess...

Argument by fantasy... I guess when you reject God's reality that is what one is reduced to.

Reactions: Wiccan_Child
Upvote 0

TemperateSeaIsland

Mae hen wlad fy nhadau yn annwyl i mi
Aug 7, 2005
Wales, UK
✟21,785.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single

No it doesn't, a photon is absorbed by one of the molecules which makes it go into an excited state allowing it react with the other molecule. Once the reaction takes place the new cyclobutene will have a very high vibrational state but that will dissipate to its surroundings extremely quickly (about a billionth of a second). Once that has happened the new cyclobutene ring will have less entropy than the two alkenes.

Upvote 0

thaumaturgy

Nov 17, 2006
✟12,333.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married

Do you or do you not believe there are some reactions that can carry a negative entropy term.

In other words: DO YOU BELIEVE THERE ARE SOME REACTIONS FOR WHICH THE ENTROPY OF THE REACTION DECREASES?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

TemperateSeaIsland

Mae hen wlad fy nhadau yn annwyl i mi
Aug 7, 2005
Wales, UK
✟21,785.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single

I, Robot is a fictional movie and cant demonstrate anything as it's subject to whatever the writers wanted it to demonstrate. If the writers wanted to they could have made Will Smith explode when the robot winked at him if they wanted to "demonstrate" winking robots make people explode. Although that would have cut the movie (mercifully) short.

Upvote 0

thaumaturgy

Nov 17, 2006
✟12,333.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Somewhere Isaac Asimov and Alan Turing are spinning in their graves, and somewhere else Harlan Ellison is is struck with a sudden yearning to rend someone limb from shining limb... :D

Ya know, I think if True_Blue could dig up Turing, Asimov, Fermi, Gibbs, Boltzman, and Clausius their corpses would be in for a brutalizing.

Based on what has already been done to Boltzmann, Gibbs and Clausius in this thread, I suspect Turing might have enjoyed it while still alive. If you catch my drift.

Reactions: Cabal
Upvote 0

thaumaturgy

Nov 17, 2006
✟12,333.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
I, Robot is a fictional movie and cant demonstrate anything as it's subject to whatever the writers wanted it to demonstrate.

Are you kidding? "I, Robot" is a work of fiction? I saw it in the bookstore! They couldn't publish it if it weren't based on actual events, could they? Let alone make a movie of it!

Would Will Smith act in a movie that was fiction???

If the writers wanted to they could have made Will Smith explode when the robot winked at him if they wanted to "demonstrate" winking robots make people explode.

Oh now that's just silly! Will Smith exploded on the scene when his video "Parents Just Don't Understand" dropped on MTV back in tha day. No Robots were needed. (Not like that Herbie Hancock video...that about made my brain explode after about the billionth showing).

Upvote 0

Wiccan_Child

Contributor
Mar 21, 2005
Bristol, UK
✟31,731.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
OK, that's it, I'm calling POE on this insanity.

[/unsubscribe]

Last edited:
Upvote 0

pgp_protector

Noted strange person
Dec 17, 2003
Earth For Now
Visit site
✟392,843.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics