✟246,655.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Private
z9dzyv90npr31.jpg

Ok speaking of exercise I have to stop doing crunches before reading anything written by a member of the Trump family bc it makes me laugh so hard my stomach legit hurts. :D

In all seriousness though I wanted to discuss in a thoughtful, constructive, fact-based way how to promote healthy lifestyles!

This was presented elsewhere but the facts of it were immediately distracted from by the accompanying OP that was completely incongruent with the article itself:
The world will have more than 250 million obese kids by 2030, a new report warns

I agree with how the article ends:
He added that he thought a younger generation would take a more activist stance towards obesity -- as they have done toward climate change.

"Most people don't want to have excess weight but there shouldn't be a stigma against the individual. It's a social problem not a private problem." he said.

Let's as the youngest generation here actually discuss such activism!

I know @Stanfordella has worked with a Cali state senator who is also a dr. in researching effective policies to help reduce the rate of childhood obesity so kids can be happier & healthier. She has kind of been MIA bc of school and stuff but I'm tagging hope she will share here if she does come back!

ChristianGirl_96

Jan 13, 2019
Epsom
✟131,109.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Make exercise fun and appealing. That is the first step to take! Offer incentives for people to exercise too.
Money is a good motivation tool to get people healthy so use that. Do you live near a leisure centre or not? If so contact them to see if they need new staff members. Keep exercise classes short. Advertise your class properly as well. I think this is a really good idea.

Reactions: Cimorene
Upvote 0

Cimorene

Site Supporter
Jan 7, 2016
Toronto
✟246,655.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Private
Make exercise fun and appealing. That is the first step to take! Offer incentives for people to exercise too.
Money is a good motivation tool to get people healthy so use that. Do you live near a leisure centre or not? If so contact them to see if they need new staff members. Keep exercise classes short. Advertise your class properly as well. I think this is a really good idea.

Definitely a really good idea!

Upvote 0

Zoii

Oct 13, 2016
Australia
✟103,785.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Great topic - though it is not just Americans that have this issue, though admittedly, the USA has an obesity rate and lack of exercise levels that are the highest of all OECD nations.

Still, no other OECD need feel comfortable - the levels in my country are not that far behind the USA.

Its not just exercise, its also a diet that is not energy dense. The obesity rates in children of OECD nations, rises every year. If you don't exercise and have a high calorie diet - you become obese. The more you put on weight, the lower the tendency to exercise because it becomes harder.

A lot of the issue comes down to the parents. There's some very solid research demonstrating that patterns of eating and exercise are set by parents for their children in their very early years of life. Literally those first eight years. Parents have to set the pattern of limiting access to electronic devices and encouragement of physical play - the ol' get outside and play with your friends.

The issue predominates most heavily in lower socioeconomic areas where diet and exercise are at their poorest.

So as teens the best thing we can do is to fix ourselves if you already have bad habits, and when we become parents, do NOT let our children fall into negative habits. No sugar drinks ever!!! Maximum of two hours/day on electronic devices - and no usage in the two hours before bed (it disturbs sleep - lots of research on that one). Exercise everyday and as you go out the door its like - OK kids - you ready? - you're coming too.

Upvote 0