Roswell NM
✟75,781.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Mark 11:24: " Therefore I tell you, whatever you ask for in prayer, believe that you have received it, and it will be yours. "

In John 14:12-14 we find the same thing:
" I tell you the truth, anyone who has faith in me will do what I have been doing. He will do even greater things than these, because I am going to the Father. And I will do whatever you ask in my name, so that the Son may bring glory to the Father. You may ask me for anything in my name, and I will do it. "

Jesus says, " I tell you the truth, anyone who has faith in me will do what I have been doing. He will do even greater things than these " yet believers and those who have faith cannot walk on water or do any of the things that Jesus was able to do, so this is a promise that has not come to pass .

And when Jesus says, "ask anything in my name, and I will do it," this also is not true. Jesus does not just say it once. He says the same thing several times ...

In Matthew 7:7: "Ask, and it will be given to you." In Matthew 17:20: "Nothing will be impossible for you." In Matthew 21:21: "If you believe, you will receive whatever you ask for in prayer."

we can not do the things that Jesus did or greater things , and we cannot receive whatever we ask for in prayer . His deciples could not then and neither can believers today. so i was just wondering what people thought about these promises that have over time proven to be untrue .

Also Jesus told His deciples that "For the Son of Man is going to come with his angels in the glory of his Father, and then he will repay each person according to what he has done. Assuredly, I say to you, there are some standing here who shall not taste death till they see the Son of Man coming in His kingdom." Matthew 16:27-28 , suggesting it seems that Gods Kingdom would come in their lifetime (for some of them) , which also did not come to pass.

I am in the process of learning why these many surprising statements are true and how to make them true in my life. It is really surprising how little is involved. One thing that can not be tolerated is unbelief, which is deliberate or willful doubt.

Upvote 0

anonymous person

Jul 21, 2015
✟67,894.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Mark 11:24: " Therefore I tell you, whatever you ask for in prayer, believe that you have received it, and it will be yours. "

" I tell you the truth, anyone who has faith in me will do what I have been doing. He will do even greater things than these, because I am going to the Father. And I will do whatever you ask in my name, so that the Son may bring glory to the Father. You may ask me for anything in my name, and I will do it. "

Jesus says, " I tell you the truth, anyone who has faith in me will do what I have been doing. He will do even greater things than these " yet believers and those who have faith cannot walk on water or do any of the things that Jesus was able to do, so this is a promise that has not come to pass .

And when Jesus says, "ask anything in my name, and I will do it," this also is not true. Jesus does not just say it once. He says the same thing several times ...

In Matthew 7:7: "Ask, and it will be given to you." In Matthew 17:20: "Nothing will be impossible for you." In Matthew 21:21: "If you believe, you will receive whatever you ask for in prayer."

we can not do the things that Jesus did or greater things , and we cannot receive whatever we ask for in prayer . His deciples could not then and neither can believers today. so i was just wondering what people thought about these promises that have over time proven to be untrue .

Also Jesus told His deciples that "For the Son of Man is going to come with his angels in the glory of his Father, and then he will repay each person according to what he has done. Assuredly, I say to you, there are some standing here who shall not taste death till they see the Son of Man coming in His kingdom." Matthew 16:27-28 , suggesting it seems that Gods Kingdom would come in their lifetime (for some of them) , which also did not come to pass.

I stand as one who renders your argument false. Jesus answers all of my prayers, and has kept all of His promises towards me.

Nice try.

Upvote 0

CGL1023

citizen of heaven
Jul 8, 2011
Roswell NM
✟75,781.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican

These promises are all true for the one who exercises unswerving faith and does not doubt. Even at that, one cannot place limitations on the timing of these promises fulfilled, for that is exclusively the domain of God.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

W2L

Jun 26, 2016
USA
✟213,573.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I wonder if there was anything that God did not give until after the cross, i.e. something that is greater than Christ himself did. What can any person do that is greater than Christ did? Christ knew the thoughts of people, he raised the dead, he turned water to wine, walked on water, turned a few fishes into enough to feed 5000 people. He also gave up his life for the world, because it was God will. What is greater than that?

I have a hard time understanding that scripture, and I have often wondered if it has a hidden meaning of some kind.

Upvote 0

lesliedellow

Sep 20, 2010
United Kingdom
Visit site
✟104,175.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
I have a hard time understanding that scripture, and I have often wondered if it has a hidden meaning of some kind.

The greater work lies in transforming a tiny Jewish sect into a religion which encompasses a third of the world's population.

Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟952,787.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
When I had questions that I posed to the lord about the narrow road even seeming getting more and more difficult to stay on or perform due to the truths that he was showing me, that I felt like it was impossible, he told me that it was only difficult or seemingly impossible because I thought and believed it was difficult or impossible, I had a simple message about truth that he gave to me about a thing, but I complained to him that I did not feel (or believed, he told me) that I could practice what I had preached...

He said to me, that I said to him that I thought it was simple, so it should be easy, right? He said to me... I answered him and said "yes, Lord, it is a simple message, but difficult for us/me to do..." He answered me and said "It is as you believe it is, or it is as you deem it to be" and said that it was a "lack of faith" in both him and myself, and denying him and his power in me, to work through me according to what I believed that made it so..."

I asked him if he was trying to show me how we are made like him especially through the power that is his and can be ours, our power to "create" out of nothing, to "make" even the impossible happen and become so, if we would only believe it was possible, to happen, through our belief? And he said "Yes!, Yes!, Yes!, now your catching on..."

I replied "impossible!" He said "It is only that way cause you "think" it that way..." Then He said to me, "As man thinketh, so he is, or can, or will become..." I asked "How?, Show me!" He said "In due time..." Then he said, for now, be paitent, learn paitience, and stay with me, and think about these things, talk to me about it as you dwell and think on these things and I will show you in due time...

God Bless!

Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟952,787.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
When I had questions that I posed to the lord about the narrow road even seeming getting more and more difficult to stay on or perform due to the truths that he was showing me, that I felt like it was impossible, he told me that it was only difficult or seemingly impossible because I thought and believed it was difficult or impossible, I had a simple message about truth that he gave to me about a thing, but I complained to him that I did not feel (or believed, he told me) that I could practice what I had preached...

He said to me, that I said to him that I thought it was simple, so it should be easy, right? He said to me... I answered him and said "yes, Lord, it is a simple message, but difficult for us/me to do..." He answered me and said "It is as you believe it is, or it is as you deem it to be" and said that it was a "lack of faith" in both him and myself, and denying him and his power in me, to work through me according to what I believed that made it so..."

I asked him if he was trying to show me how we are made like him especially through the power that is his and can be ours, our power to "create" out of nothing, to "make" even the impossible happen and become so, if we would only believe it was possible, to happen, through our belief? And he said "Yes!, Yes!, Yes!, now your catching on..."

I replied "impossible!" He said "It is only that way cause you "think" it that way..." Then He said to me, "As man thinketh, so he is, or can, or will become..." I asked "How?, Show me!" He said "In due time..." Then he said, for now, be paitent, learn paitience, and stay with me, and think about these things, talk to me about it as you dwell and think on these things and I will show you in due time...

God Bless!
He just told me, to tell you, and my own self, "I have ALL, ALL THINGS in my hand, anything, ANYTHING AT ALL, anyone would and could ever wish for or want, and I wish to give them to someone, or multiple someones, if only you would "believe"..."

God Bless!

Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟952,787.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
He just told me, to tell you, and my own self, "I have ALL, ALL THINGS in my hand, anything, ANYTHING AT ALL, anyone would and could ever wish for or want, and I wish to give them to someone, or multiple someones, if only you would "believe"..."

God Bless!
I had a question for him about this, I asked him if there were any conditions? He said simply "His will" was the only condition...

God Bless!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟952,787.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate

God Bless!

God Bless!

I had a question for him about this, I asked him if there were any conditions? He said simply "His will" was the only condition...

God Bless!

I had more questions for him, when he said to me:

"You cannot speak or even think or say to yourself a thing over and over again, trying to convince yourself... Then you would rely on your own self and not in me... But, "Believe" in me and what I say and have said... "Believe" and you shall receive...

I said to him, "Lord, I still have questions, I still doubt..." He said to me, "Lack of faith..." Then he said again, "BELIEVE... "Trust" that all I have said is true... "Believe"... Know my will... and you will do well...

I didn't question him further, after that time, but, later on, I felt more questions, more "doubts" come up in my mind, and the Lord stopped me and interrupted me, before I could even form, know, or come up with the question, and said to me: "When I asked someone, if they had the faith that I could do this or that, and they said "Yes, Lord"... Did they have to rehearse or repeat or convince themselves of it? I thought about it, when he said "No, they didn't, did they?" They just simply "Believed"... And when I spoke a word to them, like "Your child lives" for example... Did they stop to question me or doubt me/it at all?" I said, "No." Then he said "No, they did not question or doubt me at all..." I was speechless... Then he said to me "You be doing the same..."

I wanted to say, "But, But, But?" But he already knew what I was going to say and said "They have plenty of "evidence" to able to believe, and you, most of all... Why do you not believe...? This is a faithless generation... I have told you how to have faith, and told you to tell them how, yet, you still do not believe... "Believe", "Believe", "Believe" in me and what I have said and you will do well... Mind what I have just said... Believe, not in yourselves alone, soley, by yourselves, but, "me" in and through you, by what I have already said...

More questions came, in the nature of, "But, what if's, this or that...?"

When he said "If you receive ANYTHING that is not from you, but was a "free gift", REMEMBER that fact ALWAYS... REMEMBER where it came from always and continually... Be sure to do this with ANY "free gift" that did not come from you... DO NOT take personal credit so as to glory and honor, in yourself with ANY "free gift" that did not come from you, but, ALWAYS give praise and honor and glory and credit to God alone, and NOT in yourself... This is the nature of the responsibility of the "care" you must remember and have with ANY free gift that came/comes from God, and NOT yourself... Or, you will "lose it"... It will be taken away from you... and you should be glad in that moment that you had it from God and yet lost it, that God took it away from you, for NOT giving glory and honor and credit to God, but forgot to, or didn't care to... For, if you did not lose it due to this, God will say to you in the judgement and afterlife, "I never knew you, depart from me... God to the place reserved for the Devil and his angels"

After this he stopped speaking, and I was afraid to question him any further about this...

God Bless!

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
After this he stopped speaking, and I was afraid to question him any further about this...
All of the questions you have or had or ever have are answered when you are born again and reading His Word and seeking His Kingdom continually. This is according to His Word, which I think you have already read and seen and know in part.
Trust and Rely on the Father to teach you (do not look to man/ flesh/ any such thing),
in Spirit, as you read His Word (not man's books or pamphlets or "how to" instructions by anyone).
He will teach you, train you, show you, lead you, guide you, and answer all your prayers perfectly if you are willing.

Keep reading His Word Daily , praying always, asking Him for HIS Revelation(same as Peter and all the apostles and all the ekklesia received) . John 17.

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
I wonder if there was anything that God did not give until after the cross, i.e. something that is greater than Christ himself did. What can any person do that is greater than Christ did? Christ knew the thoughts of people, he raised the dead, he turned water to wine, walked on water, turned a few fishes into enough to feed 5000 people. He also gave up his life for the world, because it was God will. What is greater than that?

Hidden. Open secret. Written right before our eyes. Requiring the Father to grant understanding, as we trust Him.

The greater work lies in transforming a tiny Jewish sect into a religion which encompasses a third of the world's population.
No, it wouldn't be a narrow road to life then, that few find. Yhwh saves for Himself a remnant, not a big chunk...
All that is true, everything that is true, must not and does not do violence to any other part of Yhwh's Word.
It is all true in perfect Harmony , orchestrated absolutely by Yhwh.

Upvote 0

Greg J.

Supporter
Mar 2, 2016
Southeast Michigan
✟233,164.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

All of these passages are true. The problem is not how true they are, it is whether a person understands them or not. The default of a lot of humans is to think Scripture is talking about them when they have some evidence it is about them.

... However, when the Son of Man comes, will he find faith on the earth?” (Luke 18:8b, 1984 NIV)

Jesus reveals that it is questionable whether he will find faith on earth. Do Christians assume that they have faith like Jesus was talking about in this verse? Could it be something slightly different?

There are a variety of phrases used in Scripture that we instantly convert to "all saved people" (e.g., "born of God"), but there is a lot more depth than that. Being saved is an attribute of one's relationship with God, but there is a lot more to a person's relationship to God than whether they are saved or not.

There are assertions in Scripture where the writer did not include some "obvious" words, such as, "as long as it is according to God's will," because the writer was writing to people who understood that was given. (One or more of the "ask anything" verses do include the phrase, however.)

Also, it is established that sometimes Scripture speaks about things that are true now, but do not appear to be true to a human onlooker.

...the God who gives life to the dead and calls things that are not as though they were. (Romans 4:17., 1984 NIV)

One way people think about these is to believe they are "spiritually true" or "true in some way" but not true in the physical realm. (I'm not addressing whether this is a good way to think about them or not.)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

South Bound

I stand with Israel.
Jan 3, 2014
✟31,159.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Your ignorance of the scriptures does not constitute a crisis on our part. If you want to believe your out of context snippets of Bible verses are untrue, that's your problem, not ours.

Upvote 0

roman2819

Supporter
Nov 22, 2012
Singapore
✟208,448.00
Country
Singapore
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
This probably needs to be in apologetics, not here....

@jenny1972

Such verses are NOT promises, they are words of encouragement. Jesus was telling us to persevere and have faith, faith is the beginning, but the Lord was not saying that prayer will be answered if we have faith ie these are not words of guarantee. As an analogy, a sports coach tell his trainee, "Focus, run a good race, and you will win." Is the coach giving a guarantee? No, he is trying to encourage the athlete.

When reading Scriptures, we tend to interpret words at surface level, we take everything literally because "God said so". But meaningful application entails understanding what Jesus was really saying, what He was trying to tell us.

It is difficult to explain everything here. I wrote about this in "Understanding Prayer, Faith and God's Will" (2016 Edition) if you are interested to take a look.

Upvote 0

Sanoy

Apr 27, 2017
America
✟118,024.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
When you turn this verse into a Jesus Vending Machine it creates all sorts of paradoxes.

I have been praying that none of your prayers get answered.
I prayed that only my prayers work.
I prayed that no prayers will be answered until 2 years from now.
I prayed that evil will win.
etc.

Upvote 0

Episaw

Always learning
Nov 12, 2010
Drouin, Victoria, Australia
✟38,829.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives

Just because you have not seen it happen does not mean that it has not happened.

A young man I know went to Bill Johnson meeting and stood in the prayer line next to a teenager with only one hand. During the time Bill was praying, he saw the young man grow another hand.

Some friends of mine who went overseas to care for the needs of orphans in Malawi prayed for a baby that had died. The parents said, "If your God can bring him back to life I will believe in your God."

They prayed for the baby over a period of two hours and he came back to life.

I prayed for a young man who was in a hospital with brain damage and who the doctors said would be a vegetable for the rest of hs life.

I and two others got permission from the doctors and parents to lay hands on him and pray. Two weeks after we did this he went home well.

Rather than say these things do not happen, better to say "God, whatever it takes, help me to be a vessel that can be used to make these things happen."

Upvote 0