Contributor
May 22, 2005
3rd pebble from the shiny star
✟6,146.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
19 Behold, I give you the authority to trample on serpents and scorpions, and over all the power of the enemy, and nothing shall by any means hurt you.
-Luke 10:19

what does this verse mean to you? plz explain it to me.

Because I have had alot of death in my life, people, who are Christians, and that i am close with have died from diseases, cancer, murder, and random causes. i dont understand y sometimes it seems what the Bible says is a contradiction. I mean He promised us this.

I must not understand fully, cuz i know that the Bible is truth. i hate having these wacky questions stirring in me, its causing some bitterness, which i hate. so i just need some plp to explain this to me. thanks so much. :)

Wisdom's Child

Seek Wisdom and Understanding
Dec 30, 2003
Trenton, Florida
Visit site
✟9,563.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Candid...
I see that nobody has ventured to tackle this difficult topic as yet.
I therefore will attempt to do so.

First, let me comfort you in your time of confusion with the knowledge that your not alone in how you are feeling. I have lost many dearly loved friends and family members as well. Most reciently my wife's mother succumbed to lung cancer. It was at least some relief that before she passed, she accepted Christ and tearfully repented of the life she had led. The knowledge of this and our faith that we will be reunited with her in the future has helped my wife's grieving process immensely. So I honestly know what it must be like for you.

Death is a difficult topic for many to touch upon, I believe mostly because it's a hurdle that we all must face eventually, and like many of those "mile markers" of life it is very intimate and profoundly personal. It represents how very corporeal and temporary our physical existance truely is.

Coming to grips with our own immenent Death is part of what the experience of living is all about. The question of what is there if anything after we die, lies at the very heart of man's hunger for religious belief.
We seek answers that can only be found in the study of the supernatural because science can only answer questions about that which is coporeal and natural. It cannot measure that which is beyond natural existance.

I phrase this in this manner mainly in the hopes of sparking a discussion on death that can break the ice so to speak, and possibly loosen a few of those that sit silently by and read.

As for your OP...

"Trampling upon serpents and scorpions" in my view is being able to repel and stomp out the attacks of demonic spirits. It is not a reference towards real vermin. Remember that our struggles are against principalities and powers, not flesh. "The powers of the enemy" is in reference to the same and verifies that we strive against the spiritual, not the natural.

"Nothing shall by any means hurt you" is a profound concept. If you have faith that beyond the death of the physical body there is an eternal life or quickening of that which is spiritual, you come to the understanding of how unimportant clinging fanatically to this physical existance truely is.

Not that you should be eager to prematurely end the physical, but that in knowing that the physical is no more than an illusion or a dream when compared to the eternal spirit, facing Death and what pain that may come becomes no more than an accepted inconvenience or discomfort.

This physical existance is a temporary time of trials, in which choices are made which determine the very character of who you are.

when you look at our life from God's perspective you will find that if 1 day is like 1000 years in God's view, your total existance in this creation adds up to about 2.75 hours in which to experience all that life has to offer and to determine where you will spend the rest of eternity after you "awaken" from your sleep.

I hope this is a help for you.

Upvote 0

candid_chick007

Contributor
May 22, 2005
3rd pebble from the shiny star
✟6,146.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
wisdom's child, thanks soooo much to responding to my post. im really having a hard time understanding this all and it is kinda disapointing that no one but u responded. so thanks so much. ur right that this is a very difficult question. thanks for trying to help,

but im still pretty confused. like i know what u mean by those verse referring more to spritual protection from satan and stuff. but there r so many pastors and churches that teach u can receive healing in ur body cuz of that promise. like what about that verse in mark 11:22-24? receiving w/e u ask for in faith?
what about by His stripes we r the healed? what about how nowadays we r supposed to be doing greater miracals than when Jesus was on the earth?
can u guys plz try and help me understand?
and if u urself dont understand either can u plz state so, so that i dont feel like im so alone in this confusion. :) thanks

Upvote 0

Wisdom's Child

Seek Wisdom and Understanding
Dec 30, 2003
Trenton, Florida
Visit site
✟9,563.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
I know that it can be quite confusing, and I know that many pastors do teach faith healing and other so called "deliverance" doctrines. It is also quite prevalent in the Word Faith (name it and claim it) churches.

Both only teach part of the truth and not the whole truth.
Yes, through true devout faith one can work miracles, but only if and this is a big IF you are fully within the Will of God for this to happen.

If you are praying for a miracle out of your own desires, and not because God has indicated to you that He wishes to use you in that present situation to manifest His Glory, it will probably not happen.

God has a plan and a purpose for everything. He is an "on time" God, and always one with our best intentions at heart. God does work in mysterious ways.

How much faith must you have to preform miracles? As much as a grain of mustard seed. Look at Peter...

He had enough faith to get out of the boat, and walk upon the water, but only while he was fully focused upon the smiling face of Jesus. The moment he lost sight of that he began to sink. Therefore, if you desire the kind of faith that can work miracles, you need to continually be focused upon Jesus. You must disconnect yourself from personal desires and fully and unconditionally trust and stand in the Will of God. Later on, in the Book of Acts, Peter was walking around and healing people in the faith that he had.

Some things can be healed, some things cannot, it is totally up to God.
Paul had a "thorn in the flesh" that he could not recieve healing for. God's answer was simply "My Grace is sufficient for thee".

We all experience physical death. The carnal flesh is totally corrupt and something we should reject, not desire. All men die, and are then judged.
God is Spirit, we Worship in Spirit, and we live eternally in Spirit. That's what is ultimately important. How we die in the flesh, be it accident or disease, is not as important as how we live, and where we shall spend eternity.

If God decides it's time to come home, we go home to Him. No amount of prayer for healing can change that. That is why it is so very important to be secure in your salvation, for you can be "gathered home" by God at any moment. It is the carnal man that places so much emphasis upon the physical flesh, the spiritual man recognises that he must die and then bury the flesh, and separate himself from his carnal nature in order to grow spiritually.

Upvote 0

mysparrow

Oct 13, 2005
Indiana
✟16,337.00
Faith
Christian
by his stripes we ARE healed . That scripture is truth , just as all scripture is . But the problem we have , is we take it literally, and try to wrap our finite little minds around it , and then assume because we or a loved one isnt healed then our faith wasnt strong enough , or there are contradictions., I once felt that way, until .................... I watched my mom go through emphysema , and we prayed for healing, annointed her , etc. she was one of the most faithful , believing women i have ever seen, and God didnt heal her. .........HERE............ when i was crying and seeki ng God on it after her passing, i was angry and frustrated and miserable, cause that was my mom and i wanted her back. I said Lord , you PROMISED................to which a small still voice spoke back to me , "Yes I did , and I kept it . She is healed , she has perfect healing , she is with ME." That is all i can say to you on the subject , sometimes he chooses to heal us miracuously , so that all see him working to his glory, and sometimes he chooses to instead take us home to achieve perfect healing , and by our walk and testimony of how we still praised him and witnessed for him even in the sight of our illness , gives him glory. Three nurses came to know Jesus after my moms passing just because of her love for Jesus in spite of her struggling to breath , still she would lay in bed and praise him , and witness to everyone that came in, write down there names , and they would hear her praying for them in the wee hours of the morning. Shes perfectly healed , shes with the Master whom she loved .

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.