• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Promise to God

NoahSK

Apr 25, 2019
Sarasota
✟32,651.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
So a while back I was in a really bad OCD moment of doubting my salvation and I think I might have promised God that I would never play video games again or something because I thought He wouldn't save me unless I gave them up or something. So for a while I didn't play games because I thought if I did it would mean I would lose salvation or that it would mean I wasn't truly saved. After a while, I figured that what I was doing was works based and legalistic, and I noticed that I began to return to inappropriate content again after giving up the games, I figured I could start playing again so as not to be legalistic and I thought it might help distract me from the inappropriate content. So I decided to start playing again. Anyways, right now I'm worried because I promised I would never play again (I think, it might have been for just a while at least, I don't really remember) and I'm playing again. Does that mean I'm breaking a promise to God whenever I play? I remember before I started playing again I kind of did some weird prayer talking to God about it, and I came to the conclusion that I could play again. But now I'm worried. Is that vow still in effect? Am I sinning by playing video games because of it?

• Prayers
Reactions: A Gerbil

NoahSK

Apr 25, 2019
Sarasota
✟32,651.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0

God is good

Oct 4, 2016
Michigan
✟201,885.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
How does this answer my question? It's not about the compulsions and stuff, it's the vow I'm asking about.
Just remember brother that God knows your heart and we probably shouldn't keep promises to God because as fallen humans we can easily break them. Jesus really loves you and if you feel like you made a vow then just repent and ask for Jesus to forgive you. God loves you more than you will know. God bless you and Jesus is Lord.

Upvote 0

NoahSK

Apr 25, 2019
Sarasota
✟32,651.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Just remember brother that God knows your heart and we probably shouldn't keep promises to God because as fallen humans we can easily break them. Jesus really loves you and if you feel like you made a vow then just repent and ask for Jesus to forgive you. God loves you more than you will know. God bless you and Jesus is Lord.
What I'm asking though is if the vow is still in effect and if I'm sinning every time I play the games because of it.

Upvote 0

Sabertooth

Repartee Animal: Quipping the Saints!
Site Supporter
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟960,456.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
How does this answer my question? It's not about the compulsions and stuff, it's the vow I'm asking about.
Your "vows" are a manifestation of your compulsions. Treat the compulsiveness, first. Then
  1. you won't make vows that you cannot honor (and feel so condemned as a result), and
  2. your racing mind might slow down long enough so you can hear where God wants you to concentrate your efforts. Constantly fretting over your "broken" promises is actually causing you to ignore God in your life. That is your bigger problem.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

God is good

Oct 4, 2016
Michigan
✟201,885.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
What I'm asking though is if the vow is still in effect and if I'm sinning every time I play the games because of it.
No because you made that vow under ocd not your own will. As long as you repent brother you can be forgiven by God.

Upvote 0

Sabertooth

Site Supporter
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟960,456.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
  • Agree
Upvote 0

NoahSK

Apr 25, 2019
Sarasota
✟32,651.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I have made promises to God out of desperation and then broken them. I have learned not to do that. I believe God is loving and He is gracious, repent and you shall be forgiven.
So is the vow still in effect?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Sabertooth

Site Supporter
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟960,456.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Jesus said (and says now),
Again you have heard that it was said to those of old, ‘You shall not swear falsely, but shall perform your oaths to the Lord.’ But I say to you, do not swear at all: neither by heaven, for it is God’s throne; nor by the earth, for it is His footstool; nor by Jerusalem, for it is the city of the great King. Nor shall you swear by your head, because you cannot make one hair white or black. But let your ‘Yes’ be ‘Yes,’ and your ‘No,’ ‘No.’ For whatever is more than these is from the evil one." Matthew 5:33-37 NKJV

Upvote 0

dl_17

Jan 12, 2021
Jakarta
✟13,587.00
Country
Indonesia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Just want to point out that with OCD, we often feel like we think/want/promise things that we really didn't. It's because we're so good at over-analyzing every little bit of our thoughts and feelings. :)

Hello there! I'm really sorry for bothering you, but I've noticed that you reply to a lot of threads regarding OCD and vows. If you don't mind, is it possible for you to check my thread too? I have a similar problem. Thank you so much! God bless you!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Mari17

Jun 17, 2017
Newport
✟143,112.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hello there! I'm really sorry for bothering you, but I've noticed that you reply to a lot of threads regarding OCD and vows. If you don't mind, is it possible for you to check my thread too? I have a similar problem. Thank you so much! God bless you!
Done! :)

Upvote 0