Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
There is a connection between the Covenant of Abraham and the Covenant of Moses' Law that is tenuous and temporary. Paul called the Abrahamic Covenant a "promise," and he called the Law "temporary." He saw Christ as the eternal fulfillment of that promise, leading to the fulfillment of the Abrahamic Covenant. The Law, initially connected to that Covenant, was a temporary fill-in.

Rom 4.13 It was not through the law that Abraham and his offspring received the promise that he would be heir of the world, but through the righteousness that comes by faith. 14 For if those who depend on the law are heirs, faith means nothing and the promise is worthless, 15 because the law brings wrath. And where there is no law there is no transgression.

Gal 3.14 He redeemed us in order that the blessing given to Abraham might come to the Gentiles through Christ Jesus, so that by faith we might receive the promise of the Spirit. 15 Brothers and sisters, let me take an example from everyday life. Just as no one can set aside or add to a human covenant that has been duly established, so it is in this case. 16 The promises were spoken to Abraham and to his seed. Scripture does not say “and to seeds,” meaning many people, but “and to your seed,” meaning one person, who is Christ. 17 What I mean is this: The law, introduced 430 years later, does not set aside the covenant previously established by God and thus do away with the promise. 18 For if the inheritance depends on the law, then it no longer depends on the promise; but God in his grace gave it to Abraham through a promise.

Abraham was promised the salvation of Israel and of many nations of faith. But this covenant was made with Abraham, as well as with Christ, on the basis of circumcision, and it was made with Israel on the basis of the Law of Moses.

Christ did not immediately come to bring final redemption for those under the Law, who remained hindered from access to the Tree of Life. And this was the purpose of the Law, to confirm that access to the Tree of Life was hindered by the guilt of human sin, and to show that the promises of God could not be fulfilled until guilt was completely and finally dealt with.

Gen 3. 23 So the Lord God banished him from the Garden of Eden to work the ground from which he had been taken. 24 After he drove the man out, he placed on the east side of the Garden of Eden cherubim and a flaming sword flashing back and forth to guard the way to the tree of life.

But God provided hope, through the Messiah, a descendant of Eve, of a means back to the Tree of Life.

Gen 3.14 14 So the Lord God said to the serpent,... 15 And I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and hers; he will crush your head, and you will strike his heel.”

God's plan of redemption of humanity after the Fall continued with Abraham, and this is what Paul referred to as the "promise"...

Gen 17.1 When Abram was ninety-nine years old, the Lord appeared to him and said, “I am God Almighty; walk before me faithfully and be blameless. 2 Then I will make my covenant between me and you and will greatly increase your numbers.”
3 Abram fell facedown, and God said to him, 4 “As for me, this is my covenant with you: You will be the father of many nations. 5 No longer will you be called Abram; your name will be Abraham, for I have made you a father of many nations. 6 I will make you very fruitful; I will make nations of you, and kings will come from you. 7 I will establish my covenant as an everlasting covenant between me and you and your descendants after you for the generations to come, to be your God and the God of your descendants after you. 8 The whole land of Canaan, where you now reside as a foreigner, I will give as an everlasting possession to you and your descendants after you; and I will be their God.”
9 Then God said to Abraham, “As for you, you must keep my covenant, you and your descendants after you for the generations to come. 10 This is my covenant with you and your descendants after you, the covenant you are to keep: Every male among you shall be circumcised."

The problem was, the Law was given to restrict access to the Tree of Life, while at the same time providing a basis for a relationship between God and Israel. Since the Law restricted access to the Tree of Life, its practice was strictly temporary, until Christ could come and establish both a relationship with God and access to the Tree of Life.

The Law therefore had to be detached, along with circumcision, from the covenant God made with Abraham and with Christ, Abraham's seed. As long as the Law was connected to this covenant, the promise of international salvation could not take place. Relationship between God and Israel would only be temporary.

As I said, the Law established a relationship between God and Israel, but it was a tenuous relationship, conditioned on replacing this temporary enablement of the Law with something permanent. Therefore, the Law had to be detached as a limiting element of this covenant, to enable man to have access to Christ, the source of eternal life.

In what way did the Law inform Israel of the limitations placed on their relationship with God? It set up barriers, including veils and walls, between God and Israel. A priesthood separated God from the people in some respects. And all were unable to approach God without carrying out certain rituals of purification.

Heb 9.6 When everything had been arranged like this, the priests entered regularly into the outer room to carry on their ministry. 7 But only the high priest entered the inner room, and that only once a year, and never without blood, which he offered for himself and for the sins the people had committed in ignorance. 8 The Holy Spirit was showing by this that the way into the Most Holy Place had not yet been disclosed as long as the first tabernacle was still functioning. 9 This is an illustration for the present time, indicating that the gifts and sacrifices being offered were not able to clear the conscience of the worshiper. 10 They are only a matter of food and drink and various ceremonial washings—external regulations applying until the time of the new order.

Good works were required of men by God, while at the same time the Law exposed human sin as preventing them from accessing eternal life. As long as the Law was in effect and connected to Abraham's covenant, eternal life could not be had, and unfettered access to God's salvation could not be had.

Good works, though they be good, would be mixed with bad works, and denial of access to the Tree of Life would continue to be enforced by angels. The best of the saints would be denied, despite their faith in God, the ultimate fulfillment of God's promises, at least until Christ could come and complete their hope.

Gal 2.16 know that a person is not justified by the works of the law, but by faith in Jesus Christ. So we, too, have put our faith in Christ Jesus that we may be justified by faith in Christ and not by the works of the law, because by the works of the law no one will be justified.

The limitations of the Law are removed when it is recognized that Christ provided final purification for Israel and for the world. Faith in Christ allows us to follow him, the source of eternal life. And following him enables us to live like him and have our flaws atoned for in the process.

Christ alone is the way to the Tree of Life, and the only way to have a blessed and an eternal relationship with God. The Law was temporary, and had to be stripped from the promises contained in Abraham's Covenant.

When Christ died on the cross, he gave up any need for Israel to participate, under the Law, in self-atonement. All the guilt of human sin died with Christ on behalf of those who choose to put their faith in him and to follow him.

Living by his Spirit enables us to both be like him and to be atoned by him. It is the fulfillment of God's promise of redemption. It is the only way back to the Tree of Life. Any return to the Law of Moses condemns us forever.

Clare73

Blood-bought
Jun 12, 2012
North Carolina
✟273,674.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
There is a connection between the Covenant of Abraham and the Covenant of Moses' Law that is tenuous and temporary. Paul called the Abrahamic Covenant a "promise," and he called the Law "temporary." He saw Christ as the eternal fulfillment of that promise, leading to the fulfillment of the Abrahamic Covenant. The Law, initially connected to that Covenant, was a temporary fill-in.
Actually, the law was a temporary add-on (Galatians 3:19; Romans 5:20) to the Abrahamic Covenant, not a fill-in taking its place (Galatians 3:17).
Rom 4.13 It was not through the law that Abraham and his offspring received the promise that he would be heir of the world, but through the righteousness that comes by faith. 14 For if those who depend on the law are heirs, faith means nothing and the promise is worthless, 15 because the law brings wrath. And where there is no law there is no transgression.

Gal 3.14 He redeemed us in order that the blessing given to Abraham might come to the Gentiles through Christ Jesus, so that by faith we might receive the promise of the Spirit. 15 Brothers and sisters, let me take an example from everyday life. Just as no one can set aside or add to a human covenant that has been duly established, so it is in this case. 16 The promises were spoken to Abraham and to his seed. Scripture does not say “and to seeds,” meaning many people, but “and to your seed,” meaning one person, who is Christ. 17 What I mean is this: The law, introduced 430 years later, does not set aside the covenant previously established by God and thus do away with the promise. 18 For if the inheritance depends on the law, then it no longer depends on the promise; but God in his grace gave it to Abraham through a promise.
Abraham was promised the salvation of Israel and of many nations of faith. But this covenant was made with Abraham, as well as with Christ, on the basis of circumcision,
Abraham was uncondtionally promised land (Genesis 17:8) which he did not receive (Hebrews 11:13) but was spiritually fulfilled in a heavenly city (Hebrews 11:16),
and conditionally promised that God would be his God and the God of his descendants (Genesis 17:7, the condition being total consecration (faithfulness) to the Lord (Genesis 17:9), and its sign being circumcision (Genesis 17:10).
Abraham was not promised the "salvation of Israel."
and it was made with Israel on the basis of the Law of Moses.
The Covenant of Abraham was made with his descendants based on their total consecreation to God.
The Covenant of Moses was added to the Covenant of Abraham.
Two separate covenants, one temporary (Mosaic) and one permanent (Abrahamic).
Christ did not immediately come to bring final redemption for those under the Law, who remained hindered from access to the Tree of Life. And this was the purpose of the Law, to confirm that access to the Tree of Life was hindered by the guilt of human sin,
Actually, there is only one purpose of the law given in Scripture, to reveal sin (Romans 3:20, Romans 7:7). No other purpose is given for the law. It is not related to the promise of the Abrahamic Covenant.
and to show that the promises of God could not be fulfilled until guilt was completely and finally dealt with.
The promise of the land to Abraham was unconditional, sin had no effect on it.
The unconditional promise of the land to Abraham was spiritually fulfilled in a heavenly city (Hebrews 13:16).

The promise to Abraham's descendants to be their God was not conditioned on their "guilt of sin being completely and finally dealt with," but simply on their faithfulness to God (no idolatry).

And the promise to Israel in the Mosaic Covenant was the same promise as the covenant with Abraham's descendants, with the same condition--to be their God conditioned on their faithfulness to God (no idolatry).

Israel was not faithful, and broke the covenant (Jeremiah 11:10) for which God would inflict the maledictory oath of the covenant upon them (Jeremiah 34:18), and would make a New Covenant with a new people (Hebrews 8:7-13), of which covenant Christ would be the mediator (Hebrews 8:6, 9:15, 12:24), and the Old (Mosiac) Covenant woud be made obsolete (Hebrews 8:13).

Nowhere in Scripture do we find "the promises of God could not be fulfilled until guilt was completely and finally dealt with."
That has nothing to do with the promises of God.
The unconditional promise of the land to Abraham, who never possessed a foot of ground there (Acts 7:5; Hebrews 11:13) was spiritually fulfilled in the heavenly city (Hebrews 11:16).

And Israel broke the conditions of the covenants, thereby nullifying their promises to them.
There are no covenant promises remaining to Israel.
Israel is on the same footing as all mankind--salvation only by faith in Jesus Christ.
All the covenant promises were made to Christ (Galatians 3:16), and only those in Christ are heirs according to the promise (Galatians 3:29).

Israel's destiny is to be grafted back into the one olive tree of God's people, the Church of both NT and OT saints (Hebrews 12:22-23), IF they do not persist in unbelief. Meanwhile, God's irrevocable gifts and calling to Israel are being fulfilled in a believing remnant.

Israel's rejection of the Messiah cut them out of God's people, where everyone remains until they believe in and trust on the atoning work (blood--Romans 3:25) of the Messiah, Jesus of Nazareth, for the remission of their sin and right standing with God's justice; i.e., "not guilty," righteous, sanctified.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Soyeong

Mar 10, 2015
Hudson
✟281,635.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single

The Bible often uses the same terms to describe the nature of God as it does to describe the nature of God's law, which is because it is God's instructions for how to testify about His nature, such as with it being holy, righteous, and good (Romans 7:12), or with justice, mercy, and faithfulness being weightier matters of the law (Matthew 23:23). Walking in the way of the Lord also refers to expressing aspects of God's nature, and there are many verses that describe God's law as being instructions for how to walk in God's ways, such as Deuteronomy 10:12-13, Isaiah 2:2-3, Joshua 22:5, Psalms 103:7, and many others.

For example, God is righteous and His righteous laws teach us how to testify about His righteousness, so when we do what is righteous in obedience to them we are representing nature of who God and are expressing what we believe about the nature of who God is, or in other words, we are believing in Him, which is why there are many verses that associate our belief in God with our obedience to His law, such as John 3:36 and Revelation 14:12. Furthermore, we are growing in a relationship with God through gaining experiential knowledge of His nature, so God's laws are his instructions for how to know Him and Christ, who is the exact expression of God's nature (Hebrew 1:3). In 1 John 2:4, those who say that they know Christ, but don't obey his commands are liars and the truth is not in them, in 1 John 3:4-6, sin is the transgression of God's law, and those who continue to practice sin have neither seen nor known him, and in Matthew 7:23, Jesus said that he would tell those who are workers of lawlessness to depart from him because he never knew them. God's righteousness is eternal, so any instructions that God has ever given for how to testify about His righteousness are eternally valid regardless of which covenant someone is under, if any, and the only way those instructions can be temporary is if God's eternal righteousness is temporary, and the same goes for other aspects of God's nature.

In Genesis 18:19, it says that God experientially knew Abraham that he may command his children and his household after him to keep the way of the Lord by doing righteousness and justice, so that the Lord may bring to Abraham what he has promised him. In Genesis 26:3-5, God would establish the oath that He swore to Abraham that in his offspring all the nations of the earth shall be blessed because Abraham obeyed His voice and kept his charge, His commandments, His statutes, and His laws. In Exodus 33:13, Moses wanted God to be gracious to him by making known to him His ways that he may experientially know Him, and Israel too, so God was gracious to both Abraham and Moses by teaching them how to walk in His ways in obedience to His law. The Mosaic Law is how the offspring knew how to walk in God's ways and to be blessed (Psalms 119:1-3), so the fulfillment of the promise that God made to Abraham is through His offspring blessing the nations by teaching them to turn from their wicked ways and how to walk in God's ways in obedience to his law, which has its ultimate fulfillment in Jesus, who was sent to bless us by turning us from our wicked ways (Acts 3:25-26).

God's law straightforwardly does what it was given to do and does not do what it was not given to do, so we do not earn our inheritance of the promise by obeying it because it was never given for that purpose. While it is true Abraham believed God so he was declared righteous, it is also true that Abraham believed God, so he obeyed God's commands, so the same faith by which he was declared righteous was also expressed as obedience, but he did not earn his righteousness through his obedience as through it were a wage (Romans 4:4-5).

In Titus 2:14, it does not say that Jesus gave himself to redeem us from God's aw, but in order to redeem us from all lawlessness and to purity for himself a people of his own possession who are zealous for doing good works, so becoming zealous for doing good works in obedience to it through faith is how the blessings given to Abraham come to the Gentiles through and how we receive the promise of Spirit, which is given to those who obey God (Acts 5:32).

Christ did not immediately come to bring final redemption for those under the Law, who remained hindered from access to the Tree of Life. And this was the purpose of the Law, to confirm that access to the Tree of Life was hindered by the guilt of human sin, and to show that the promises of God could not be fulfilled until guilt was completely and finally dealt with.

Gen 3. 23 So the Lord God banished him from the Garden of Eden to work the ground from which he had been taken. 24 After he drove the man out, he placed on the east side of the Garden of Eden cherubim and a flaming sword flashing back and forth to guard the way to the tree of life.

But God provided hope, through the Messiah, a descendant of Eve, of a means back to the Tree of Life.

Gen 3.14 14 So the Lord God said to the serpent,... 15 And I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and hers; he will crush your head, and you will strike his heel.”

God's plan of redemption of humanity after the Fall continued with Abraham, and this is what Paul referred to as the "promise"...

The law of first mention is a principle where the first time a Hebrew word is used helps to give the context for how to correct understand it, and in this case the Hebrew word "derek" means "way" and is used first in Genesis 3:24 in regard to an angel guarding the way to the Tree of Life, so walking in God's ways is the way back to the Tree of Life, and indeed the Mosaic Law is a Tree of Life for all who take hold of her (Proverbs 3:18), and in regard to angels guarding the Ark of the Covenant. The angels being told to guard the Garden of Eden is also the same thing Adam was told to do in Genesis 2:14, and is the same word that is used repeatedly in regard to guarding the commandments of the Mosaic Law. In Matthew 7:14, narrow is the way that leads to life. In John 17:3, eternal life is experientially knowing God and Jesus. The Mosaic Law is the way (Jeremiah 6:16-19), the truth (Psalms 119:142), and the life (Deuteronomy 32:47), and Jesus is the living embodiment of the way, the truth, and the life by being the exact expression of God's nature expressed through living in sinless obedience to the Mosaic Law, which is the way to know him and the Father (John 14:6-7).

Gen 17.1 When Abram was ninety-nine years old, the Lord appeared to him and said, “I am God Almighty; walk before me faithfully and be blameless. 2 Then I will make my covenant between me and you and will greatly increase your numbers.”
3 Abram fell facedown, and God said to him, 4 “As for me, this is my covenant with you: You will be the father of many nations. 5 No longer will you be called Abram; your name will be Abraham, for I have made you a father of many nations. 6 I will make you very fruitful; I will make nations of you, and kings will come from you. 7 I will establish my covenant as an everlasting covenant between me and you and your descendants after you for the generations to come, to be your God and the God of your descendants after you. 8 The whole land of Canaan, where you now reside as a foreigner, I will give as an everlasting possession to you and your descendants after you; and I will be their God.”
9 Then God said to Abraham, “As for you, you must keep my covenant, you and your descendants after you for the generations to come. 10 This is my covenant with you and your descendants after you, the covenant you are to keep: Every male among you shall be circumcised."
The problem was, the Law was given to restrict access to the Tree of Life, while at the same time providing a basis for a relationship between God and Israel. Since the Law restricted access to the Tree of Life, its practice was strictly temporary, until Christ could come and establish both a relationship with God and access to the Tree of Life.

The Law therefore had to be detached, along with circumcision, from the covenant God made with Abraham and with Christ, Abraham's seed. As long as the Law was connected to this covenant, the promise of international salvation could not take place. Relationship between God and Israel would only be temporary.

As I said, the Law established a relationship between God and Israel, but it was a tenuous relationship, conditioned on replacing this temporary enablement of the Law with something permanent. Therefore, the Law had to be detached as a limiting element of this covenant, to enable man to have access to Christ, the source of eternal life.

In what way did the Law inform Israel of the limitations placed on their relationship with God? It set up barriers, including veils and walls, between God and Israel. A priesthood separated God from the people in some respects. And all were unable to approach God without carrying out certain rituals of purification.

Heb 9.6 When everything had been arranged like this, the priests entered regularly into the outer room to carry on their ministry. 7 But only the high priest entered the inner room, and that only once a year, and never without blood, which he offered for himself and for the sins the people had committed in ignorance. 8 The Holy Spirit was showing by this that the way into the Most Holy Place had not yet been disclosed as long as the first tabernacle was still functioning. 9 This is an illustration for the present time, indicating that the gifts and sacrifices being offered were not able to clear the conscience of the worshiper. 10 They are only a matter of food and drink and various ceremonial washings—external regulations applying until the time of the new order.

Good works were required of men by God, while at the same time the Law exposed human sin as preventing them from accessing eternal life. As long as the Law was in effect and connected to Abraham's covenant, eternal life could not be had, and unfettered access to God's salvation could not be had.

Good works, though they be good, would be mixed with bad works, and denial of access to the Tree of Life would continue to be enforced by angels. The best of the saints would be denied, despite their faith in God, the ultimate fulfillment of God's promises, at least until Christ could come and complete their hope.

An angel guarding the way to the Tree of Life can either block entry or be an escort. In Exodus 23:20, God sent an angel ahead to guard the way and to bring them to the palace that He has prepared. In Psalms 91:11, for he will command his angles concerning you to guard you in all of your ways.
In Matthew 19:17, the way to enter eternal life is by obeying God's commandments, so the Mosaic Law was given for the goal of showing the way to eternal life, not the way to block it.

Gal 2.16 know that a person is not justified by the works of the law, but by faith in Jesus Christ. So we, too, have put our faith in Christ Jesus that we may be justified by faith in Christ and not by the works of the law, because by the works of the law no one will be justified.

Again, we don't earn our justification by obeying the Mosaic Law because it was never given for that purpose, but that doesn't mean that we don't need to obey it for the purposes for which it was given, and this makes it that much more true for man-made works of the law.

The limitations of the Law are removed when it is recognized that Christ provided final purification for Israel and for the world. Faith in Christ allows us to follow him, the source of eternal life. And following him enables us to live like him and have our flaws atoned for in the process.

Christ alone is the way to the Tree of Life, and the only way to have a blessed and an eternal relationship with God. The Law was temporary, and had to be stripped from the promises contained in Abraham's Covenant.

When Christ died on the cross, he gave up any need for Israel to participate, under the Law, in self-atonement. All the guilt of human sin died with Christ on behalf of those who choose to put their faith in him and to follow him.

Living by his Spirit enables us to both be like him and to be atoned by him. It is the fulfillment of God's promise of redemption. It is the only way back to the Tree of Life. Any return to the Law of Moses condemns us forever.

Christ set a sinless example of how to walk in obedience to the Mosaic Law, and as his followers we are told to follow his example (1 Peter 2:21-22) and that those who are in Christ are obligated to walk in the same way he walked (1 John 3:4). Furthermore, Christ began his ministry with the Gospel message to repent for the Kingdom of God is at hand, which was a light to Gentiles (Matthew 4:15-23), and the Mosaic Law was how his audience knew what sin is, so repenting from our disobedience to it is an integral part of the Gospel message, which he prophesied would be proclaimed to all nations (Matthew 24:12-14). So Christ spent his ministry teaching his followers how to obey the Mosaic Law both by word and by example, so that is the way to follow him, to live like him, and to put our faith in him. The Mosaic Law was given to testify about the nature of who Christ is, so if it is temporary, then so is Christ. In Titus 2:14, it does not say that Jesus gave himself to free us from the Mosaic Law, but in order to redeem us from all lawlessness. The Spirit has the role of leading us in truth (John 16:13), the Spirit has the role of leading us to obey the Mosaic Law (Ezekiel 36:26-27), and the Mosaic Law is truth (Psalms 119:142). The rejection of the Mosaic Law is what condemns us forever.

Upvote 0

Clare73

Blood-bought
Jun 12, 2012
North Carolina
✟273,674.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
The Bible often uses the same terms to describe the nature of God as it does to describe the nature of God's law, which is because it is God's instructions for how to testify about His nature, such as with it being holy, righteous, and good (Romans 7:12), or with justice, mercy, and faithfulness being weightier matters of the law (Matthew 23:23). Walking in the way of the Lord also refers to expressing aspects of God's nature,
Where is that rule presented in Scripture?
and there are many verses that describe God's law as being instructions for how to walk in God's ways, such as Deuteronomy 10:12-13, Isaiah 2:2-3, Joshua 22:5, Psalms 103:7, and many others.
For example, God is righteous and His righteous laws teach us how to testify about His righteousness,
The law was not given "to testify about his righteousness," it was given to reveal sin (Romans 3:20, Romans 7:7).
so when we do what is righteous in obedience to them we are representing nature of who God and are expressing what we believe about the nature of who God is, or in other words, we are believing in Him, which is why there are many verses that associate our belief in God with our obedience to His law, such as John 3:36 and Revelation 14:12. Furthermore, we are growing in a relationship with God through gaining experiential knowledge of His nature, so
God's laws are his instructions for how to know Him and Christ, who is the exact expression of God's nature (Hebrew 1:3).
Where do we find that rule in Scripture?
In 1 John 2:4, those who say that they know Christ, but don't obey his commands are liars and the truth is not in them, in 1 John 3:4-6, sin is the transgression of God's law, and those who continue to practice sin have neither seen nor known him, and in Matthew 7:23, Jesus said that he would tell those who are workers of lawlessness to depart from him because he never knew them. God's righteousness is eternal, so any instructions that God has ever given for how to testify about His righteousness are eternally valid regardless of which covenant someone is under, if any,
Not according to the NT.

"For he himself is our peace. . .
abolishing in his flesh the law with its commandments and regulations." (Ephesians 2:15)
and the only way those instructions can be temporary is if God's eternal righteousness is temporary, and the same goes for other aspects of God's nature.
Where is that rule in Scripture?
In Genesis 18:19, it says that God experientially knew Abraham that he may command his children and his household after him to keep the way of the Lord by doing righteousness and justice, so that the Lord may bring to Abraham what he has promised him. In Genesis 26:3-5, God would establish the oath that He swore to Abraham that in his offspring all the nations of the earth shall be blessed because Abraham obeyed His voice and kept his charge, His commandments, His statutes, and His laws.
In Exodus 33:13, Moses wanted God to be gracious to him by making known to him His ways that he may experientially know Him, and Israel too, so God was gracious to both Abraham and Moses by teaching them how to walk in His ways in obedience to His law.
God answered Moses request by proclaiming his name to him (Exodus 34:5-7)
The Mosaic Law is how the offspring knew how to walk in God's ways and to be blessed (Psalms 119:1-3),
Actually the Mosaic law was given to reveal the nature of sin as spiritual defilement.
so the fulfillment of the promise that God made to Abraham is through His offspring blessing the nations
The "offspring" that blesses the nations is Jesus of Nazareth, in atoning for the sin of those who believe in him.
All the promises were made to Christ only (Galatians 3:16), and only those in Christ are heirs according to the promise (Galatians 3:29).
by teaching them to turn from their wicked ways and how to walk in God's ways in obedience to his law,
Israel was never commissioned to teach the nations.
Israel's defilement laws prevented Israel from going to the nations.
It was the Promise, Jesus Christ, who would bring God to the pagan nations.
which has its ultimate fulfillment in Jesus, who was sent to bless us by turning us from our wicked ways (Acts 3:25-26).
Jesus said he came to die as a ransom for the sins of many (Matthew 20:28).
God's law straightforwardly does what it was given to do and does not do what it was not given to do, so we do not earn our inheritance of the promise by obeying it because it was never given for that purpose. While it is true Abraham believed God so he was declared righteous, it is also true that Abraham believed God, so he obeyed God's commands, so the same faith by which he was declared righteous was also expressed as obedience, but he did not earn his righteousness through his obedience as through it were a wage (Romans 4:4-5).
In Titus 2:14, it does not say that Jesus gave himself to redeem us from God's aw,
So? . . .in Habkkuk 2:4, it does not say that the man who keeps the law shall live.
How does what they do not say have anything to do with anything?

In Colossians 2:14, it does say that Jesus cancelled the written code that was against us (the curse), with its regulations.
In Ephesians 2:15, it does say that the law with its regulations was abolished on the cross.
In 2 Corinthians 9:20-21, it does day that Paul was not under the law, that he was under Christ's law (Matthew 22:37-40).
but in order to redeem us from all lawlessness and to purity for himself a people of his own possession who are zealous for doing good works, so becoming zealous for doing good works in obedience to it through faith is how the blessings given to Abraham come to the Gentiles through and how we receive the promise of Spirit, which is given to those who obey God (Acts 5:32).
The "blessing to the Gentiles" through Abraham's only seed, Jesus Christ (Galatians 3:16), is the gospel of salvation from God's condemnation (Romans 5:18) and wrath (Romans 5:9) on sin, through faith in him. . ."the blessing to the Gentiles" (salvation) is not by Israel's "good works."
Israel was never commissioned to take anything to the Gentiles, for Israel herself did not believe!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Soyeong

Mar 10, 2015
Hudson
✟281,635.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
Where is that rule presented in Scripture?

For example, God’s Ways are described as being righteous and just (Genesis 18:19), righteous, blameless, merciful, pure, humble, light, perfect, true, liberty, and gentleness (2 Samuel 22:21-37), delightful (Psalms 37:23), and everlasting (Habakkuk 3:6), merciful, gracious, slow to anger, abounding in steadfast love and faithfulness, forgiving, just (Exodus 34:6-7), love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control (Galatians 5:22-23), and these are all aspects of God's nature.

The law was not given "to testify about his righteousness," it was given to reveal sin (Romans 3:20, Romans 7:7).

Sin is what is against God's nature, so by the Mosaic Law revealing how to testify about God's nature, it also reveals what sin is. The mark is God's nature, sin is missing the mark, the Mosaic law was given to reveal God's nature, and sin is the transgression of the Mosaic Law (1 John 3:4). It is impossible to only have an understanding of coldness without also having an understanding of hotness, so in the same way the law can't just teach us what is means to sin without also teaching us how to testify about God's nature by contrast.

Where do we find that rule in Scripture?

Again, I showed spoke about how by expressing God's nature through our obedience to His law, we are growing in a relationship with Him through gaining experiential knowledge of Him. I also cited 1 John 2:4, 1 John 3:4-6, and Matthew 7:23 to show that God's laws are His instructions to know Christ. Likewise, in Exodus 33:13, Moses wanted God to be gracious to him by making known to His ways that he might know Him, and there are many verses that show that the Mosaic Law is God's instructions for how to walk in God's ways, such as Deuteronomy 10:12-13, Isaiah 2:2-3, Joshua 22:5, Psalms 103:7, and many others that I could cite.

The Mosaic Covenant is a marriage covenant between God and Israel, so the Israelites needed to be taught how to have a relationship with Him and what it means to yada Him, which is experientially knowing Him. In Jeremiah 9:3 and 9:6, they did not experientially know God and refused to know Him because in 9:13, they had forsaken the Mosaic Law, while in 9:24, those who know God know that he delights in practicing steadfast love, justice, and righteousness in all the earth, so delighting in practicing those and other aspects of God's nature through our obedience to the Mosaic Law is the way to experientially know God.

Not according to the NT.

"For he himself is our peace. . .abolishing in his flesh the law with its commandments and regulations." (Ephesians 2:15)

God's righteousness is eternal (Psalms 119:142), therefore all of God's righteous laws are also eternal (Psalms 119:160), and they did not become less eternal under the NT. The Psalms are the OT book that is quoted the most often in the NT, so the NT authors certainly saw them as still being authoritative, and they should not be interpreted as being against what they considered to be Scripture.

Ephesians 2:15 is referring to a law that was give to create a dividing wall of hostility, not to the holy, righteous, and good Law of God. If Ephesians 2:15 we referring to the Law of God, then God's righteousness would not be eternal, but it is eternal, therefore it is not referring to the Law of God.

Where is that rule in Scripture?

That's straightforwardly what it means for God's righteousness to be eternal in that any instructions that God has ever given for how to act in accordance with His righteousness are eternally valid. It is contradictory for God's righteousness to be eternal, but the way to act in accordance with His righteousness to change. For example, if God had commanded as part of the New Covenant that it was righteous to commit adultery and sinful to help the poor, then it would not be true that His righteousness is eternal.

God answered Moses request by proclaiming his name to him (Exodus 34:5-7)

That is true, though it is also true that God answered Moses' request by teaching him the Mosaic Law because there are many verses that describe it as being instructions for how to walk in God's ways, such as Deuteronomy 10:12-13, Isaiah 2:2-3, Joshua 22:5, Psalms 103:7, and many others that I could cite. For example:

Deuteronomy 10:12-13 “And now, Israel, what does the Lord your God require of you, but to fear the Lord your God, to walk in all his ways, to love him, to serve the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul, 13 and to keep the commandments and statutes of the Lord, which I am commanding you today for your good?

God was requiring the Israelites to walk in His ways, so He must have given them instructions for how to do that. What do you think it means for us to walk in God's ways and how else do you think that the Israelites knew how to do that if not through the Mosaic Law? All of God's names are aspects of His nature, so Exodus 34:5-7 is not something different, especially because it is the basis for the renewal of the covenant in Exodus in the proceeding verses.

Actually the Mosaic law was given to reveal the nature of sin as spiritual defilement.

Again, that is true, but it is also true that the Mosaic Law was how the Israelites knew how to be blessed, and there are many verses that I could have cited that associated obedience to it with being blessed.

The "offspring" that blesses the nations is Jesus of Nazareth, in atoning for the sin of those who believe in him.
All the promises were made to Christ only (Galatians 3:16), and only those in Christ are heirs according to the promise (Galatians 3:29).

It is also the that Jesus is the ultimate fulfillment of that promise, though that does not negate that God chose Israel to be a blessing to the nations. In 1 John 2:6, those who are in Christ are obligated to walk in the same way he walked, and he walked in obedience to the Mosaic Law, so walking as he walked through faith is about being an heir to that promise where we too are a blessing to the nations by turning them from their wicked ways and how to walk in God's ways in obedience to His law.

Israel was never commissioned to teach the nations.
Israel's defilement laws prevented Israel from going to the nations.
It was the Promise, Jesus Christ, who would bring God to the pagan nations.

Isaiah 2:2-3 It shall come to pass in the latter days that the mountain of the house of the Lord shall be established as the highest of the mountains, and shall be lifted up above the hills; and all the nations shall flow to it, 3 and many peoples shall come, and say: “Come, let us go up to the mountain of the Lord, to the house of the God of Jacob, that he may teach us his ways and that we may walk in his paths.” For out of Zion shall go forth the law, and the word of the Lord from Jerusalem.

Israel has always had the God-given role of being a light to the nations (Isaiah 49:6) and non of God's laws prevented this. Why else do you think that God chose Israel if not to teach about Him? Is it not our role as Christians to teach about God?

Jesus said he came to die as a ransom for the sins of many (Matthew 20:28).

While that is true, it is also true that Acts 3:25-26 speaks about Christ being the fulfillment of the promise by blessing everyone one of us by turning us from our wickedness.

So? . . .in Habkkuk 2:4, it does not say that the man who keeps the law shall live.
How does what they do not say have anything to do with anything?

In Colossians 2:14, it does say that Jesus cancelled the written code that was against us (the curse), with its regulations.
In Ephesians 2:15, it does say that the law with its regulations was abolished on the cross.
In 2 Corinthians 9:20-21, it does day that Paul was not under the law, that he was under Christ's law (Matthew 22:37-40).

It is not so much that there is anything that Titus 2:14 could have not said, but that it specifically says the opposite. Neither Colossians 2:14 or Ephesians 2:15 are speaking about God's law. In 1 Corinthians 9:21, Paul said in a parallel statement that he was not outside the Law of God, but under the Law of Christ, so he equated the Law of Christ with the Law of Moses. None of those verses should be interpreted contradicting Titus 2:14.

The "blessing to the Gentiles" through Abraham's only seed, Jesus Christ (Galatians 3:16), is the gospel of salvation from God's condemnation (Romans 5:18) and wrath (Romans 5:9) on sin, through faith in him. . ."the blessing to the Gentiles" (salvation) is not by Israel's "good works."
Israel was never commissioned to take anything to the Gentiles, for Israel herself did not believe!

If the promise is only only about Christ to the exclusion of everyone else, then we can't be heirs to the promise, but rather us becoming a blessing to the nations is what it means for us to become heirs to the promise. The point of being counted as children of Abraham is to be a blessing to the nations and the children of the promise are those who are the fulfillment of that promise. The Great Commission is itself a commission for Israel to take the Gospel to the nations, and the reason why the Gospel was to the Jew first and then to the nations was so that Jews could fulfill that God-given role. Israel did believe and there has always been at least a remnant.

Upvote 0