WS
✟278,556.00
Country
Brazil
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Based on an analysis of the results of the Program for International Student Assessment (PISA) tests, the OECD report, entitled Students, Computers and Learning: Making the Connection, concludes:
Countries that have invested heavily in information and communication technologies (ICT) for education have seen NO noticeable improvement in their performance in PISA results for reading, mathematics or science.

Education: Proliferation of screens making kids NO smarter

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: anna ~ grace

Jon Osterman

Jan 23, 2018
Glasgow
✟59,048.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Technology of this type is a tool for learning. But if they are being taught badly, or taught the wrong things, it is not going to help. My daughter is taught using iPads rather extensively. Every child in the school has one and I am very impressed with how well this aids her learning. She writes and submits reports on it, creates presentations, makes art, researches projects etc, all using the attachable keyboard. It is an excellent school and frankly she is way ahead of where I was at her age. Her presentations are really excellent. So I don't think technology hinders children if it is used correctly.

Upvote 0

Tomm

Christian
Site Supporter
Jan 30, 2007
WS
✟278,556.00
Country
Brazil
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Technology of this type is a tool for learning. But if they are being taught badly, or taught the wrong things, it is not going to help. My daughter is taught using iPads rather extensively. Every child in the school has one and I am very impressed with how well this aids her learning. She writes and submits reports on it, creates presentations, makes art, researches projects etc, all using the attachable keyboard. It is an excellent school and frankly she is way ahead of where I was at her age. Her presentations are really excellent. So I don't think technology hinders children if it is used correctly.

Please note that that's the conclusion from a research, any research conclusion typically is generalized.

I mean it applies to the whole population of students, NOT just your daughter.

Your daughter is smarter than others, but other students didn't benefit from the computerised learning aids.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Wookiee

Cool. Cool, cool, cool.
Jul 19, 2013
Australia
✟50,740.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
I run IT in a school and have had to compile a list of pros and cons and logistics of running a BYOD program for us, and have cited these sorts of concerns in particular.

I know the sorts of distractions students get up to on our current system; I can't imagine it being much better when everyone has a device that teachers can't keep a direct eye on.

Either way, whatever decision they go with I'm willing to respect it and keep up with it for as long as the job is enriching and engaging. At the very least, it will keep me in a job long term.

Upvote 0

jacks

Er Victus
Site Supporter
Jun 29, 2010
Northwest US
✟672,790.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It seems at least in higher ed, that allowing computers in classes consistently lowers test scores and retention of material. There are many studies on this. HERE is a recent one. I believe it is as others mentioned a distraction and the inability of people to successfully multi-task.

• Informative
Reactions: Tomm
Upvote 0

Wookiee

Cool. Cool, cool, cool.
Jul 19, 2013
Australia
✟50,740.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
It seems at least in higher ed, that allowing computers in classes consistently lowers test scores and retention of material. There are many studies on this. HERE is a recent one. I believe it is as others mentioned a distraction and the inability of people to successfully multi-task.

In the Australian Catholic education system there's a huge push for this across all grades. Almost every student at the primary (elementary) school I work at has a Chromebook; the sister high school I also work at (mentioned in my earlier post) is probably going to use Windows devices.

These sorts of things worry me; another point I brought up is none of these students are learning actual computer skills. They know how to use a Chrome web browser, and Google Apps, but that's about it, sadly.

Reactions: Tomm
Upvote 0

Tomm

Christian
Site Supporter
Jan 30, 2007
WS
✟278,556.00
Country
Brazil
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
In the Australian Catholic education system there's a huge push for this across all grades. Almost every student at the primary (elementary) school I work at has a Chromebook; the sister high school I also work at (mentioned in my earlier post) is probably going to use Windows devices.

These sorts of things worry me; another point I brought up is none of these students are learning actual computer skills. They know how to use a Chrome web browser, and Google Apps, but that's about it, sadly.

Yeah, the new devices make the school looks good and well-equipped, but are they worth it considering the huge amount of money poured into it???
(I doubt it)

Last edited:
Upvote 0