• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.

Programming

Discussion in 'Technology' started by Alenci, Feb 20, 2003.

1. Alenci

Alenci To God be the glory

+65
    Christian
    Single
    US-Republican
    Anybody here program? What language(s)?

We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. DNAunion

DNAunion Active Member

+0
    DNAunion: I program a lot in Visual FoxPro 6. I have also programmed in C/C++, Java, Visual Basic (and earlier forms, such as Quick Basic, QBasic, and GW Basic), COBOL, RPG, and assembly, as well as having read up some on PHP.

3. bryan25

bryan25 Captive Set Free

+0
    Christian
    Hi Alenci

I've had commercial experience in RBasic, VBasic, C/C++, Pascal, Delphi, Perl, Java - oh and HTML - if u call that programming :)

I've studied COBOL, Modula 2, Prolog and assembly but have never written anything commercially yet in them.

Regards,
    Bryan

4. OLDoMiNiON

OLDoMiNiON Senior Member

+1
    Christian
    Single
    Pascal (lol), C(++), VB (and QBasic), PHP...

yeh, and if you count HTML, then i've done that 2!

5. AngelAmidala

AngelAmidala Legend

+617
    Methodist
    Single
    I've done HTML, and I remember just small bits of Turbo Pascal and C++.

I'm terrible at it (programming in general) though. :(

6. sandyb

sandyb Junior Member

+0
    Presbyterian
    I have programmed in about several variants of BASIC (including VB, COMAL, BBC Basic, and when my Amiga still worked, BlitzBasic and Amos), Java, Pascal (and Delphi), Assembly, scripting in Perl, PHP and Javascript. And I've done HTML and a couple of flavours of SQL if you'd count them.

7. Jon

Jon <marquee behavior=scroll direction=left scrollamou

+3
    Christian
    I'm begging Visual Basic .NET and I know a bit of QuickBASIC.

8. Alenci

Alenci To God be the glory

+65
    Christian
    Single
    US-Republican
    ASSEMBLY?!!!

Ugh!

9. seebs

seebs God Made Me A Skeptic

+1,462
    Seeker
    Married
    US-Republican
    C, sh, perl. I do *NOT* do C++; I can, a bit, but it's a loathesome monstrosity, and should be taken out and shot. C is a much better language.

As of Tuesday, I started learning Java. My first program, a fractal editor and viewer, is now reasonably usable, but only works on 1.4 JRE's.

I can read and write most scripting languages a little, but my strongest are perl and sh. C is sort of my default native language, although I do a lot more in perl these days, just for string handling.

I am liking Java, although the lack of an easy way to make self-executing Java executables on Unix is annoying.

I have also done some stuff in Icon. I *love* that language.

10. Pete Harcoff

Pete Harcoff PeteAce - In memory of WinAce

+65
    Other Religion
    I majored in programming, although I now mainly do web/graphics design.

Past experience with: Basic (lots of different versions on various platforms), Assembly, Pascal, COBOL, C/C++, Java, Visual Basic

Currently, I tend to use (for web development): PHP, HTML (not really a programming language), JavaScript, VBScript (for ASP pages), Perl

What I should learn for the future: ColdFusion, Visual Studio .NET (mainly C#, Microsoft's answer to Java)

11. seebs

+1,462
    Seeker
    Married
    US-Republican
    Java is worth learning, even if you don't use it for everything. I'm utterly unimpressed with C#.

12. paulewog

paulewog Father of Insanity; Child of Music.

+369
    Baptist
    Married
    US-Republican
    blah, I like C++ :)

Perl is fun too.

13. seebs

+1,462
    Seeker
    Married
    US-Republican
    I think C++ was an experiment which failed. Java is a good C-like language which supports OO. C++ is neither a good C-like language nor a good OO language.

14. S Walch

S Walch -

+162
    Seeker
    Single
    Don't diss pascal Oldo :p

*sighs* I can only program in pascal - But if you want to add the web languages then:

HTML, XHTML, Javascript, CSS (is learning) php (will also start to learn) ASP.

All this whilst dong AS levels.........

AS levels suck.

15. seebs

+1,462
    Seeker
    Married
    US-Republican
    If you can do pascal, it's worth picking up some of the more modern languages. Java and C are both good choices. C is smaller, but perhaps more error-prone.

16. S Walch

S Walch -

+162
    Seeker
    Single
    maybe during the Summer Holidays I will - But not got enough time ATM.

17. pinPoint

pinPoint Member

+1
    Christian
    I do couple languages. I did C++ for 2 years in high school. Tried Java, im doing php and mysql with html right now for my sites. I have also done Visual Basic. I was helping my mom with her school work while she was taking VB. so i learned a little here and there from that. Thats pretty much ppl. Thank you.

pin

18. unitedistand

unitedistand Crying for the Bridegroom

+0
    Non-Denom

Perl would be nice if MY WEBSERVER SUPPORTED IT! :cry: I need a free server on the net for webspace that will let me do pearl so I can run a message board for the band i'm in.&nbsp; :mad: communists at adelphia won't let me run the webserver on my linux&nbsp;box at my house.&nbsp; Oh well, what can&nbsp;one do?

history in programming:

BASIC (3 months)

HTML (going on a couple years)

Perl (two days)

c++ (two days, then the compiler went outta whack along with my harddrive, had to reformat. It's a shame since BCB 5&nbsp;is such a nice compiler/editor)

19. Zipporah

Zipporah Member

+0
    Played about with BASIC and learned COMAL years ago, did nothing for years for want of a computer - any computer!, just started learning C++.

Have also programmed spreadsheet macros (but then that's not quite what you'd call real programming, LOL)

20. DNAunion

DNAunion Active Member

+0
    DNAUnion: Writing spreadsheet macros is real programming if you are using VBA, are actually writing the code (instead of creating a macro and copying the self-generated code and using it), and your code uses the typical programming constructs (iteration, conditional branching, etc.).

And writing spreadsheet macros is a lot more real programming than creating a web page in HTML is.