Dublin
✟2,299.00
Country
Ireland
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
About 2 month ago I started to work in a talent/artist management company. When I introduced my self on local Christian parish , I got lots of negative comments after . many people told me , that I shouldn't work in entertainment industry , because behind that stands sins , devil , bad energy etc.
I consider that my job is not obstacle for my spiritual growth.
Would be glad to hear Your opinions :)
Thanks !

Sarah G

Pro-peace, anti-war, anti-violence.
Site Supporter
Jun 29, 2017
Netherlands
✟131,322.00
Country
Netherlands
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Nothing goes on in the showbiz industry that doesn't also go on in the finance industry. It's difficult to think of any profession that is 'karma free'. Even when I worked at a foodbank my colleagues were constantly stealing, gossiping and worse (one of my colleagues stabbed two people to death). Every situation is conducive to spiritual growth :twohearts:

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟731,303.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
About 2 month ago I started to work in a talent/artist management company. When I introduced my self on local Christian parish , I got lots of negative comments after . many people told me , that I shouldn't work in entertainment industry , because behind that stands sins , devil , bad energy etc.
I consider that my job is not obstacle for my spiritual growth.
Would be glad to hear Your opinions :)
Thanks !

The thing about the real world is that it's messy and complicated--and that means no matter where you go, what you do, or what vocation you have there's going to be messy and complicated factors--especially people, because we're incredibly messy and complicated creatures.

I mean, I suppose there's always the option to join a monastery or go live as a hermit. But that's not going to make the world any less messy and complicated, and it's not going to change the fact that human beings are problematic creatures.

In the Lutheran tradition we conceive of vocation as ministry. By this we don't mean what one often sees in modern American Evangelical culture where businesses plaster fish symbols or Bible passages on their signs or business cards; we mean that whatever one's station in life, whatever one does in their life--in relation to their fellow human beings--is an act of Christian service, of serving and loving others: as a mother, a husband, a brother, a friend, a daughter, a lawyer, a doctor, a ditch digger, a member of the clergy, or as a shoe cobbler. Of course no matter who we are, where we are, or what we do we're going to be interacting with sinful people, because people (all people, including you, me, everyone, Christians and non-Christians equally) are sinners. But it is precisely to this world of sinners that we are called to serve and love, by giving freely of ourselves to others as servants.

Whether your vocation is in the entertainment industry or as a monk on the mountain, we bear our Christian service to others in love, serving our fellow sinners in the ways which are available to us in life.

-CryptoLutheran

Reactions: Sarah G
Upvote 0

keith99

sola dosis facit venenum
Jan 16, 2008
✟320,844.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
The thing about the real world is that it's messy and complicated--and that means no matter where you go, what you do, or what vocation you have there's going to be messy and complicated factors--especially people, because we're incredibly messy and complicated creatures.

I mean, I suppose there's always the option to join a monastery or go live as a hermit. But that's not going to make the world any less messy and complicated, and it's not going to change the fact that human beings are problematic creatures.

In the Lutheran tradition we conceive of vocation as ministry. By this we don't mean what one often sees in modern American Evangelical culture where businesses plaster fish symbols or Bible passages on their signs or business cards; we mean that whatever one's station in life, whatever one does in their life--in relation to their fellow human beings--is an act of Christian service, of serving and loving others: as a mother, a husband, a brother, a friend, a daughter, a lawyer, a doctor, a ditch digger, a member of the clergy, or as a shoe cobbler. Of course no matter who we are, where we are, or what we do we're going to be interacting with sinful people, because people (all people, including you, me, everyone, Christians and non-Christians equally) are sinners. But it is precisely to this world of sinners that we are called to serve and love, by giving freely of ourselves to others as servants.

Whether your vocation is in the entertainment industry or as a monk on the mountain, we bear our Christian service to others in love, serving our fellow sinners in the ways which are available to us in life.

-CryptoLutheran

Speaking as a non Christian with a brain. Doesn't this argue that his choice of a vocation with plenty of sinners argue in favor of that choice? Of course it does, some of us atheists remember what Martin had to say about roses and lilies!

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟731,303.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Speaking as a non Christian with a brain. Doesn't this argue that his choice of a vocation with plenty of sinners argue in favor of that choice? Of course it does, some of us atheists remember what Martin had to say about roses and lilies!

Well, yeah. My point was that what the people were saying to him about his choice is ultimately irrelevant--it wouldn't matter what industry or vocation he was going into. As such the choice is his, and all the talk of "sin and devils" in the entertainment industry is moot.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0