Ohio
✟29,532.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Romans 1:22
    Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools,

I was just wondering about people who have reprobate minds. They claim to have wisdom, knowledge, understanding, but they seem to have so little in reality. Esp. when you hear some of the things they say about the Bible.

We know that the Bible is a wealth knowledge. I remember for one of my classes at the Bible collage, I was doing a study in the Bible on the Trees of Lebanon. I was amazed at all the information I found in the Bible on that subject. I could have easily written a book on the information I was finding.

Yet people with a reprobate mind do not seem to think there is anything in the Bible at all. If they had true wisdom, knowledge and understanding, then they would know the Bible was filled with the same. Yet as Paul says: They profess to be wise, when really, they have become fools. They have been turned over to a reprobate mind. You just have to wonder how people can be so stupid and yet be deceived into thinking they are wise.

As Pauls said, they have become corrupted. They seem to only have knowledge of corrupted things. It is as if they are not even aware of the glory of uncorrupted things in this world.

Romans 1:23
    and changed the glory of the incorruptible God into an image made like corruptible man--and birds and four-footed animals and creeping things.

They seem to have no understanding at all, of how man was created. They do not seem to know what God's plan, purpose and intention is for man. All they see is corruption, and their idea of God is that He is corrupted like man has become corrupted. When in fact God is not corrupted at all.

lucaspa

Legend
Oct 22, 2002
New York
✟32,309.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Private
John, where is the science in this post?  How is it relevant to this forum?

Today at 08:05 AM JohnR7 said this in Post #1

Romans 1:22
    Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools

We know that the Bible is a wealth knowledge. I remember for one of my classes at the Bible collage, I was doing a study in the Bible on the Trees of Lebanon. I was amazed at all the information I found in the Bible on that subject. I could have easily written a book on the information I was finding.

John, this isn't the first time you've misspelled "college" as "collage".  Or maybe it isn't misspelling at all.  Do you really mean collage?

Please summarize what the Bible told you about the Trees of Lebanon.  Now, even if the Bible were accurate there, since the Bible is a collection of 66 books, does it have to be accurate about the physical universe in all the other books?

Yet people with a reprobate mind

Please define "reprobate mind".

You just have to wonder how people can be so stupid and yet be deceived into thinking they are wise.

It seems that you are defining "fools" those who disagree with your interpretation of the Bible.  Is that a correct assessment?  If so, how many people agree with you that there were two creationis of humans: on day 6 and then again on day 8 of creation?

They seem to have no understanding at all, of how man was created.

And how was man created?

They do not seem to know what God's plan, purpose and intention is for man.

And what connection does that have to how man was created? It would seem that the how is separate from the purpose.

When in fact God is not corrupted at all.

Can you point to any physical evidence to back up this claim? All I have seen is assertions to in the Bible.  Is gambling "corruption"?   Is rape corruption?  Is adultery corruption?

Upvote 0

Nathan Poe

Sep 21, 2002
United States
✟41,319.00
Faith
Agnostic
Politics
US-Democrat
"True wisdom comes from knowing that you know nothing."

Socrates said it centuries before the book of Romans.

"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool." --As You Like It, V.i.

Shakespeare said it Centuries after Romans.

Tell me Johnny, what's the difference between claiming to have all the answers for oneself, and claiming to have direct and exclusive on-demand access to the source of all answers?

You see where I am going with this...

Upvote 0

lucaspa

Legend
Oct 22, 2002
New York
✟32,309.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Private
Today at 01:59 PM PhantomLlama said this in Post #6

It gets like that after a while, doesn't it?

:) Unfortunately, yes. John apparently wants to convert us all to his brand of Christianity but 1) he's not sure what brand that is and 2) he wants to use science but knows that doesn't work.  So he's left with these vague "please believe as I do even though I can't convince you.  If I insult you enough that you are reprobate and corrupt maybe you'll cave just so you won't be."

Upvote 0

lucaspa

Legend
Oct 22, 2002
New York
✟32,309.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Private
Today at 03:40 PM Arikay said this in Post #8

Anyway, his first title quote makes perfect sense

" Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools"

Lets see, how many creationists have professed to be wise and to know about evolution, but then showed they knew nothing about what they were talking about.

Yes. Perhaps we should remind John about St. Augustine of Hippo's response to Paul and John's type of argument.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

PhantomLlama

Prism Ranger
Feb 25, 2003
Birmingham
Visit site
✟9,758.00
Faith
Atheist
Today at 08:46 PM lucaspa said this in Post #9

Yes. Perhaps we should remind John about St. Augustine of Hippo's response to Paul and John's type of argument.

This sounds promising. What is it?

*powers up the Logic Cannon for John's inevitable reply*

Upvote 0

lucaspa

Legend
Oct 22, 2002
New York
✟32,309.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Private
Today at 03:48 PM Melchior said this in Post #10

JohnR7 is da man! He has done more to promote Atheism on these boards then any other poster here by far. Keep up the good work!

God Bless.

Thank you, Melchior. That's certainly my conclusion.  Although Micaiah runs him a very strong second place.

Upvote 0

lucaspa

Legend
Oct 22, 2002
New York
✟32,309.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Private
Today at 04:04 PM PhantomLlama said this in Post #11

This sounds promising. What is it?

*powers up the Logic Cannon for John's inevitable reply*

"Even a non-Christian knows something about the earth, the heavens, and the other elements of this world, about the motion and orbit of the stars and even their size and relative positions, about the predictable eclipses of the sun and moon, the cycles of the years and the seasons, about the kinds of animals, shrubs, stones, and so forth, and this knowledge he holds to be certain from reason and experience.  Now it is a disgraceful and dangerous thing for an infidel to hear a Christian, presumably giving the meaning of Holy Scripture, talking nonsense on these topics; and we should take all means to prevent such an embarrassing situation, in which people show up vast ignorance in a Christian and laugh it to scorn.  The shame is not so much that an ignorant individual is derided, but that people outside the household of faith think our sacred writers held such opinions, and, to the great loss of those for whose  salvation we toil, the writers of our Scripture are criticized and rejected  as unlearned men. If they find a Christian mistaken in a field which they  themselves know well and hear him maintaining his foolish opinions about our  books, how are they going to believe those books in matters concerning the  resurrection of the dead, the hope of eternal life, and the kingdom of  heaven, when they think their pages are full of falsehoods and on facts  which they themselves have learnt from experience and the light of reason?  Reckless and incompetent expounders of Holy Scripture bring untold trouble  and sorrow on their wiser brethren when they are caught in one of their  mischievous false opinions and are taken to task by those who are not bound  by the authority of our sacred books. For then, to defend their utterly  foolish and obviously untrue statements, they will try to call upon Holy  Scripture for proof and even recite from memory many passages which they  think support their position, although they understand neither what they say  nor the things about which they make assertion. [1 Timothy 1.7]"
" Augustine, On the Literal Meaning of Genesis, Book 1, Chapter 19.

Upvote 0

Freodin

Devout believer in a theologically different God
Mar 9, 2002
Germany, Bavaria, Middle Franconia
Visit site
✟242,764.00
Faith
Atheist
No, why, he is right.

1. I cannot follow the logic of his argument. As he is right (he always states that), I must be a fool.

2. I cannot remember when I did profess myself to be wise, but, as I am a fool, I must have forgotten it.

3. Conclusion: I have a reprobate mind - which is proven by my Atheism.

See, John is right.

Upvote 0

PhantomLlama

Prism Ranger
Feb 25, 2003
Birmingham
Visit site
✟9,758.00
Faith
Atheist
Wow! His logic is impeccable! How can we possibly hope to defend against such strong argument?

:sigh:

BTW, Lucaspa, thanks for the quote. Very eye opening, to see that even a reprobate corrupted fool who denies the truth of the gospel of JohnR7 can become a saint. Shows how dead, harlot and apostate the church is, I suppose.

:sigh:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

lucaspa

Legend
Oct 22, 2002
New York
✟32,309.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Private
Today at 04:21 PM PhantomLlama said this in Post #15

BTW, Lucaspa, thanks for the quote. Very eye opening, to see that even a reprobate corrupted fool who denies the truth of the gospel of JohnR7 can become a saint. Shows how dead, harlot and apostate the church is, I suppose.

I think you missed it.  The eye opening part is how John is the reprobate and foolish Christian that Christians would like to disown.

Instead of being a good guy, St. Augustine clearly identifies John as a bad guy and enemy of Christianity.  "we should take all means to prevent such an embarrassing situation,"  Augustine is calling upon Christians to squelch John and people like him.

Upvote 0

lucaspa

Legend
Oct 22, 2002
New York
✟32,309.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Private
Today at 04:35 PM PhantomLlama said this in Post #17

While maybe 'squelching' is a little too far, something must be done. Even if I do not hold to a position, I hate to see it misrepresented.

Me too.  It may turn out that Christianity is wrong. But just like I don't want to see an innocent person convicted of a crime, I don't want to see Christianity rejected because it is misrepresented and wrongly set up to be falsified.

Upvote 0

Freodin

Devout believer in a theologically different God
Mar 9, 2002
Germany, Bavaria, Middle Franconia
Visit site
✟242,764.00
Faith
Atheist
Today at 10:40 PM lucaspa said this in Post #18

Me too.  It may turn out that Christianity is wrong. But just like I don't want to see an innocent person convicted of a crime, I don't want to see Christianity rejected because it is misrepresented and wrongly set up to be falsified.

But what if he is right?

Upvote 0