Visit site
✟831,404.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
This is because they are boasting in their own works of holiness and are judging others according to the standard of their self-righteousness. They may have started in the Spirit but are now continuing in the flesh. They have rejected the righteousness of Christ for their own righteous works. Paul says that those who trust in their own self-righteousness have no further interest in Christ, and Christ is no longer effective for them. In essence they have rejected Christ and therefore their own salvation. They have trodden Christ and the shedding of His blood underfoot and unless they repent of their "holier than thou" legalistic and judgmental attitude toward other Christian believers then they cannot be restored to grace and faith.

We are all equal in Christ. Before we were converted to Christ, we were all equal under the judgment and wrath of God because of our sinfulness. No one is born again better than anyone else. We follow the same Saviour, are baptised with the same baptism, and drink from the same Spirit, and have received the same righteousness of Christ as a free gift from God. In this we are all equal in our complete trust in Christ and the work of the Holy Spirit to develop holiness in us. We have nothing that we have not received from God. Therefore our boast is in Him, because there is nothing in us to boast about.

But for those who think that they are more equal than others because they have achieved a higher standard of morals, unless they repent and come back to Christ, all they can look forward to is judgment and hell.

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟831,404.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
It is quite scary to know that there are many professing Christians in churches all over the country who have this "holier than thou" attitude and are walking in the flesh and not the Spirit. Also, whole churches, especially some Pentecostal, Charismatic and Exclusive type churches that have this attitude toward other churches, although most of their members are saved, the leaders of those churches are not aware that the Holy Spirit is not working with them, and if they say that He is working with them, they are just pretending.

The Scripture says that God resists the proud but gives grace to the humble.

Upvote 0

mothcorrupteth

Old Whig Monarchist, Classically Realpolitik
Jun 3, 2017
Huntsville, AL
✟42,344.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
I agree. People who are judgmental will all go to Hell. Gosh, why are they like that? I mean, it's pretty clear what the Bible says--can't they read??? I mean, what's up with these weak-sauce Christians who feel they have to write long diatribes about how much better they are than everybody else? Why can't they be more like me? I'm so humble, I always flush twice without looking because I assume my crap's the messiest. I'm so humble, I go out driving in my Mercedes instead of the Rolls-Royce. God, thank you for not making me like those Pharisaical types.

Upvote 0

Neostarwcc

We are saved purely by the work and grace of God.
Site Supporter
Dec 13, 2015
US
✟918,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
I agree. People who are judgmental will all go to Hell. Gosh, why are they like that? I mean, it's pretty clear what the Bible says--can't they read??? I mean, what's up with these weak-sauce Christians who feel they have to write long diatribes about how much better they are than everybody else? Why can't they be more like me? I'm so humble, I always flush twice without looking because I assume my crap's the messiest. I'm so humble, I go out driving in my Mercedes instead of the Rolls-Royce. God, thank you for not making me like those Pharisaical types.

What's worse is Jesus even talked about those kinds of people in his teachings. He said they have no favor with God. But it seems they're so busy with their "right" interpretations of scripture that they cannot see the truth or read the verses that are actually talking about them.

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟831,404.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
We all have the right to have our opinion, and to share our insights with others, and to warn others who might be falling into error. But we do this with gentleness, kindness and humility, knowing that we are just as susceptible as anyone to fall into error and be deceived. Just recently, I had to amend my Pentecostal theology because many things I believed in and defended in I found not to be in the New Testament!

The parable about the Pharisee and the Publican is good for showing the difference between a proud, "holier than thou" religious person, and a humble man who comes to God and says just. "Lord forgive me, a sinner." Jesus asks, "Which one of those were truly justified?" He leaves the obvious answer to the reader.

Upvote 0

Stabat Mater dolorosa

Jesus Christ today, yesterday and forever!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Somewhere up North
✟294,001.00
Country
Norway
Faith
Traditional. Cath.
Marital Status
Single
Lol, this post is so full of presumptions that its comical. For example, you dont define what constitutes a so called "hollier than thou " attitude or how they're selfrighteous according to you.
It seems as if you're hunting strawmen to be honest.

The least you should do is to explain what you mean by these descriptions and to be more concrete about what you like to address in particular.

Upvote 0

mothcorrupteth

Jun 3, 2017
Huntsville, AL
✟42,344.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
We all have the right to have our opinion, and to share our insights with others, and to warn others who might be falling into error. But we do this with gentleness, kindness and humility, knowing that we are just as susceptible as anyone to fall into error and be deceived. Just recently, I had to amend my Pentecostal theology because many things I believed in and defended in I found not to be in the New Testament!

The parable about the Pharisee and the Publican is good for showing the difference between a proud, "holier than thou" religious person, and a humble man who comes to God and says just. "Lord forgive me, a sinner." Jesus asks, "Which one of those were truly justified?" He leaves the obvious answer to the reader.
Friend, forgive me the mockery, but... I don't know who ain't saved, much less if judgmental folk ain't. I just know where to direct people to find they's own salvation. There's a time for judgin', and that's when my Church is under threat. Which is all fine in theory, but I know I'm just as judgmental as the Calvinist sumguns I left for Orthodoxy. So am I gonna sit here and badmouth "Truly Reformed" folk for being nitpicky? Am I gonna call Protestants non-Christians? I'll be lucky if I can get myself right, much less the other judgmental people.

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟831,404.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Lol, this post is so full of presumptions that its comical. For example, you dont define what constitutes a so called "hollier than thou " attitude or how they're selfrighteous according to you.
It seems as if you're hunting strawmen to be honest.

The least you should do is to explain what you mean by these descriptions and to be more concrete about what you like to address in particular.
As I said in my previous post, the parable of the Pharisee and the Publican gives a good definition, don't you think?

By the way, I am aware that the RCC believes it is the true church through Apostolic Succession. I don't intend anything that I have said as "Catholic bashing". My wife has a Catholic background and so I respect her and her particular faith.

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟831,404.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Friend, forgive me the mockery, but... I don't know who ain't saved, much less if judgmental folk ain't. I just know where to direct people to find they's own salvation. There's a time for judgin', and that's when my Church is under threat. Which is all fine in theory, but I know I'm just as judgmental as the Calvinist sumguns I left for Orthodoxy. So am I gonna sit here and badmouth "Truly Reformed" folk for being nitpicky? Am I gonna call Protestants non-Christians? I'll be lucky if I can get myself right, much less the other judgmental people.
You're showing the signs of true humility, because you recognise your own faults and shortcomings in these areas. Hey, I'm one of those Calvinist sumguns!! Hahahahaha! :)

Reactions: Mark Dohle
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

mothcorrupteth

Jun 3, 2017
Huntsville, AL
✟42,344.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
You're showing the signs of true humility, because you recognise your own faults and shortcomings in these areas. Hey, I'm one of those Calvinist sumguns!! Hahahahaha! :)
Then what's this "Pentycostal" business in your profile? (I actually think Charismatic Calvinists are a sight better than the Puritan breed.)

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟831,404.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Then what's this "Pentycostal" business in your profile? (I actually think Charismatic Calvinists are a sight better than the Puritan breed.)
I'm more of a a Reformed Pentecostal. I have maintained that ID even after leaving the Pentecostal church in 1978 and am presently a member of my local Presbyterian church, because it gives me the freedom to give my opinions and debate on the Charismatic forum.

Actually, as a side-note: The Eastern Orthodox church never adopted Cessationist views concerning the supernatural gifts of the Spirit and these gifts were in public use right through to the 12th Century. I think that Orthodox people are more careful in their use of the gifts than the mainstream Charismatics. (I may be wrong about this and am open to correction).

Also, another side-note: Calvin himself was intolerant of any person or group that did not totally agree with his theology, and he had people burned at the stake, and severely criticised those who went over to Arminian belief. It is also interesting that Armininus was totally tolerant of other groups, had a more righteous lifestyle than Calvin, and some have said had a better understanding of Scripture concerning predestination and election. I read the first volume of his works, and he said that many Calvinists told lies about him and muddied the waters concerning his theology.

Because I am the OP, you are free to respond to this and I welcome it.

Upvote 0

mothcorrupteth

Jun 3, 2017
Huntsville, AL
✟42,344.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
I'm more of a a Reformed Pentecostal. I have maintained that ID even after leaving the Pentecostal church in 1978 and am presently a member of my local Presbyterian church, because it gives me the freedom to give my opinions and debate on the Charismatic forum.
Not sure I understand the difference, but I'll respect your choice of words.

Actually, as a side-note: The Eastern Orthodox church never adopted Cessationist views concerning the supernatural gifts of the Spirit and these gifts were in public use right through to the 12th Century. I think that Orthodox people are more careful in their use of the gifts than the mainstream Charismatics. (I may be wrong about this and am open to correction).
Yes and no. It's kind of like when Western missionaries used to try to categorize Eastern religions under the different species of Greek philosophy; they don't quite understand that the Zen mind, for example, says things that sound similar to nominalism but is saying those things from a completely different frame of reference. By Western standards, yes, we are "Continuationist," but we never even had that debate amongst ourselves, we were ignored when the West had the debate, and to try to label us as "Continuationist" risks handing us baggage that we never registered with the airline, so to speak.

Also, another side-note: Calvin himself was intolerant of any person or group that did not totally agree with his theology, and he had people burned at the stake, and severely criticised those who went over to Arminian belief. It is also interesting that Armininus was totally tolerant of other groups, had a more righteous lifestyle than Calvin, and some have said had a better understanding of Scripture concerning predestination and election. I read the first volume of his works, and he said that many Calvinists told lies about him and muddied the waters concerning his theology.
I don't know about any of that regarding Arminius. I just know that what passes for Arminianism in Holiness Wesleyan circles is roughly what we Orthodox believe. And I know that Calvin didn't do anything that anybody else in the 16th century wasn't doing. Maybe some types of Anabaptists were doing better, but they were sometimes hard to tell apart from the Anabaptists who were forming town-wide murder cults.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

JackRT

Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2015
small town Ontario, Canada
✟767,295.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
all they can look forward to is judgment and hell.

That determination is well above my pay grade ----------- and yours.

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
This is because they are boasting in their own works of holiness and are judging others according to the standard of their self-righteousness.

But you are not judging?

• Agree
Reactions: anna ~ grace
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

JackRT

Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2015
small town Ontario, Canada
✟767,295.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married

I would be perfect if I could only overcome my excessive humility.

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
... all they can look forward to is judgment and hell.

James 4
11 Do not speak evil against one another, brothers. The one who speaks against a brother or judges his brother, speaks evil against the law and judges the law. But if you judge the law, you are not a doer of the law but a judge. There is only one lawgiver and judge, he who is able to save and to destroy. But who are you to judge your neighbor?

2 Corinthians 5
10 For we must all appear before the judgment seat of Christ, so that each one may receive what is due for what he has done in the body, whether good or evil.

Romans 14
As for the one who is weak in faith, welcome him, but not to quarrel over opinions. One person believes he may eat anything, while the weak person eats only vegetables. Let not the one who eats despise the one who abstains, and let not the one who abstains pass judgment on the one who eats, for God has welcomed him. Who are you to pass judgment on the servant of another? It is before his own master that he stands or falls. And he will be upheld, for the Lord is able to make him stand. One person esteems one day as better than another, while another esteems all days alike. Each one should be fully convinced in his own mind. ...

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.