✟10,858.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hi Christian Forums,

I wonder if you guys have any thoughts on what types of music to listen to. I like quite a range of music, from classical to popular to new wave and many other genres besides. I used to listen to heavy metal when I was an adolescent, but not so much any more. I'm 28. I find that popular music today is very explicit about sex, and some of the big stars, particularly of hip hop, idolise money, and have super-sized egos, and also seem to be quite angry. Question is, if we like the tune, but dislike the lyrics, should we continue to listen, or skip to the next song? Will our tastes mature as we do?

salt-n-light

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2017
Rosedale
✟165,859.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Welcome to CF! :D

Music has a profound way of influencing us on a spiritual level.Even without lyrics, certain beats can invoke certain moods, attitude, and reasoning. There's a lot of history of how music industries have basically weaponized music by placing subliminal messaging, to incorporating beats from demonic practices. So it's not even a matter of if I like the tune, but more so of is it even safe spiritually to listen to it. I think the more we understand God and His word, the more we test things out and research, the better we can discern what we should and shouldn't listen in general.

In the bible, music for believers has been used as an outlet for worship for God.Worship is done in Spirit and truth (John 4:24). So, the music should reflect that. Yes, it would be limiting, and sometimes you can't escape music that is profane, but guard your heart.

Upvote 0

Swaying Fern

Aug 12, 2017
Essex
✟10,858.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Welcome to CF! :D

Music has a profound way of influencing us on a spiritual level.Even without lyrics, certain beats can invoke certain moods, attitude, and reasoning. There's a lot of history of how music industries have basically weaponized music by placing subliminal messaging, to incorporating beats from demonic practices. So it's not even a matter of if I like the tune, but more so of is it even safe spiritually to listen to it. I think the more we understand God and His word, the more we test things out and research, the better we can discern what we should and shouldn't listen in general.

In the bible, music for believers has been used as an outlet for worship for God.Worship is done in Spirit and truth (John 4:24). So, the music should reflect that. Yes, it would be limiting, and sometimes you can't escape music that is profane, but guard your heart.

Great reply. Thank you. It seems that we are somewhat exposed through the radio etc, but we can always discern by changing the channel. I guess when music is profane it becomes ungodly.

Upvote 0

salt-n-light

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2017
Rosedale
✟165,859.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Great reply. Thank you. It seems that we are somewhat exposed through the radio etc, but we can always discern by changing the channel. I guess when music is profane it becomes ungodly.

Very true. Its a struggle, some songs I don't know whether to listen to or not. Or I end up enjoying something and realizing that the message behind it wasn't edifying. I think it's also important to remember that we are all growing in grace, no one is gonna perfectly know what to listen or what not to listen. As long as our hearts are towards edifying God in Spirit and truth, He will honor it.

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,475,516.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Question is, if we like the tune, but dislike the lyrics, should we continue to listen, or skip to the next song? Will our tastes mature as we do?

If your spirit is strengthening its connection to the Holy Spirit, you will more and more often feel the Spirit saying, "Umm...no."

Heed him. That's why He abides within you.

Upvote 0

Lazarus Short

Apr 6, 2016
Independence, Missouri, USA
✟294,142.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
My experience after becoming a Christian was as follows. I had been a listener of hard rock and heavy metal rock for some time. Then I found that that sort of music held less and less interest for me. I didn't enjoy it anymore. One day, I decided there was nothing else to do, so I separated the sheep from the goats of my LP collection, tore up the goat covers and scratched both sides of the records with a sharp awl. Some of them were highly collectible too.

Since those days, I find some music that is good, some that is not so good. Classical is fine, overall. Jazz is OK mostly. Folk, good. I did find the Ventures to be not good. Herb Alpert was OK, a surprise, so I collected his LP's. Yeah, I still spin vinyl. Oh, and I HATE guitar rock.

Upvote 0

CoolDude68

Site Supporter
May 29, 2013
Budapest
✟127,545.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Spotify! Explore it.

I've found so much value in the multitude of music out there. Radio music is all about money, nothing more and play the same songs over and over. I can't even listen to radio anymore.

Once you come to know the Lord your music choices change, just like other things in your life. I still can't listen to a lot of Christian music some of it is "ok". Yes, the message is good but honestly, some of the music talent and instrumental just isn't good to me. Maybe I'm just picky. It seems like anyone can be a Christian artist just singing about God, no matter how talented they are. That's fine, but it doesn't mean I'm going to like it.

I can't listen to heavy metal anymore or most rap because it's vile now to me. Filth. Especially modern rap that condones sex, money, vulgarity and more. I'm sorry, but a true man or woman of God would never find that pleasing to the ear. Would God?

As one grows in their walk with God, their music choices will naturally fall in place. It's not complicated.

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,475,516.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I still can't listen to a lot of Christian music some of it is "ok". Yes, the message is good but honestly, some of the music talent and instrumental just isn't good to me. Maybe I'm just picky. It seems like anyone can be a Christian artist just singing about God, no matter how talented they are. That's fine, but it doesn't mean I'm going to like it.

"She ain't purty, but she's right smart."
"He ain't a looker, but he's kind and he's a hard worker."

My wife and I spent several years as members of a small rural congregation in Maryland, about 30 retired farmers and their wives. Not only were we the only black family, but besides the pastor I was the only one still below retirement age. How we got there was a "long, strange journey." Lovely folk in that congregation, though.

I'm still not a fan of their style of country gospel music. However, I did learn that the Holy Spirit is a lot less picky about musical genre than most of us.

Upvote 0