Problems with Christianity (looking for answers)

TajDIN

May 29, 2017
Ljubljana
✟7,904.00
Country
Slovenia
Faith
Ignostic
Marital Status
Single
Hello!

So i have never considered myself to be a religious person. I was baptised so technically i am Christian, though i never gave religion much taught throughout my life.
Well at least not until recently. Only when i started studying psychology and sociology i
grasped the huge impact religion in fact has on society.

I am not by any means trying to disrespect any of you i just genuinely want some explanations. If you firmly believe in your faith you should be able to do that. Attacking the post without making any valid points will just let me know you feel threatened.

To start off, when individual is in prison perhaps on a death row, or going through very difficult time, i get it. »God is all i have« they often say and i understand it completely.

But when big religious institutions and corrupt individuals use religion to impact politics, morals and rights i start to have a problem with it.

You see so many nice people trying to make it about something good and yet it turns into not just corrupt, but, like, molesting little kids corrupt and burning people alive corrupt.
I mean, really evil [bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse].

Here comes my question about about sins and forgiveness.

“I promise you that any of the sinful things you say or do can be forgiven, no matter how terrible those things are. But if you speak against the Holy Spirit, you can never be forgiven. That sin will be held against you forever.” — Mark 3:28-29

So correct me if i am wrong but if you molest a child, confess and pray for redemption God will forgive you and you will go to heaven.
But if you deny the authority and power of God, but have never committed a major sin, Peter is just going to send you straight to hell?

You can be the most religious person ever, but does that really seem moral to you?
Based on that criteria for forgiving, God most definitely isn’t all-good, but in fact just freaking selfish.

Talking about selfish: Religious preachers(and i am not saying that for all of them).
They are financed by us while Christian church ramains to be one of the wealthiest institiutions. I do not get that. They preach about the almighty, all-good God and Christian morals while wearing 2000$ suit and gladly taking money from you. Which in my eyes is not something Jesus would stand by.
So what are your views on that?

You guys aren't dumb. You probably are smart people.
How can smart people believe in the talking snake, people living to 900 years old and the virgin birth?
You know, these things can't be true, people who are otherwise so rational about everything else, and then they believe that on Sunday they're drinking the blood of a 2,000 year old God.
That makes dissonance in my head.

And lastly the question that all non-believers like to ask.
If God is all-good and he can do anything, why doesn't he just obliterate the devil and therefore get rid of evil in the world?

Best regards,

T.

• Useful
Reactions: Serving Zion

Sam91

Child of the Living God
Supporter
Jul 10, 2016
United Kingdom
✟53,491.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Hi I don't have time to construct a decent reply but would like to share a bible verse I was reminded of today. I seem to be seeing a lot of instances where it applies today.

Isaiah 55:8-9
“For my thoughts are not your thoughts,

neither are your ways my ways,”

declares the Lord.

9“As the heavens are higher than the earth,

so are my ways higher than your ways

and my thoughts than your thoughts."

What you are looking at is sinful man. To understand who God is you must look to Him, even then we can't comprehend because our brains are limited by the sphere we have grown up in, constrained by the laws of physics that were created.

What I do know is that the examples you gave don't fit my beliefs or what I would expect from a true Christian. Hope this view helps :)

God bless

Last edited:
Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Hello!

So i have never considered myself to be a religious person. I was baptised so technically i am Christian, though i never gave religion much taught throughout my life.
Well at least not until recently. Only when i started studying psychology and sociology i

I am not by any means trying to disrespect any of you i just genuinely want some explanations. If you firmly believe in your faith you should be able to do that. Attacking the post without making any valid points will just let me know you feel threatened.

To start off, when individual is in prison perhaps on a death row, or going through very difficult time, i get it. »God is all i have« they often say and i understand it completely.

But when big religious institutions and corrupt individuals use religion to impact politics, morals and rights i start to have a problem with it.

You see so many nice people trying to make it about something good and yet it turns into not just corrupt, but, like, molesting little kids corrupt and burning people alive corrupt.
I mean, really evil [bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse].

“I promise you that any of the sinful things you say or do can be forgiven, no matter how terrible those things are. But if you speak against the Holy Spirit, you can never be forgiven. That sin will be held against you forever.” — Mark 3:28-29

So correct me if i am wrong but if you molest a child, confess and pray for redemption God will forgive you and you will go to heaven.
But if you deny the authority and power of God, but have never committed a major sin, Peter is just going to send you straight to hell?

You can be the most religious person ever, but does that really seem moral to you?
Based on that criteria for forgiving, God most definitely isn’t all-good, but in fact just freaking selfish.

Talking about selfish: Religious preachers(and i am not saying that for all of them).
They are financed by us while Christian church ramains to be one of the wealthiest institiutions. I do not get that. They preach about the almighty, all-good God and Christian morals while wearing 2000$ suit and gladly taking money from you. Which in my eyes is not something Jesus would stand by.

How can smart people believe in the talking snake, people living to 900 years old and the virgin birth?
You know, these things can't be true, people who are otherwise so rational about everything else, and then they believe that on Sunday they're drinking the blood of a 2,000 year old God.

If God is all-good and he can do anything, why doesn't he just obliterate the devil and therefore get rid of evil in the world?

Best regards,

T.
Try reading John's Gospel - especially the first few chapters - to see what Christianity is all about.

Then figure that those who believe are likely to be a different set of people from those in the politics, etc., that you see as flawed, in any case.

Reactions: YesMe
Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Hi I don't have time to construct a decent reply but would like to share a bible verse I was reminded of today. I seem to be seeing a lot of instances where it applies today.

Isaiah 50:8-9
“For my thoughts are not your thoughts,

neither are your ways my ways,”

declares the Lord.

9“As the heavens are higher than the earth,

so are my ways higher than your ways

and my thoughts than your thoughts."

What you are looking at is sinful man. To understand who God is you must look to Him, even then we can't comprehend because our brains are limited by the sphere we have grown up in, constrained by the laws of physics that were created.

What I do know is that the examples you gave don't fit my beliefs or what I would expect from a true Christian. Hope this view helps :)

God bless
Isaiah 55 is a great chapter! :)

• Winner
Reactions: Sam91
Upvote 0

Sam91

Child of the Living God
Supporter
Jul 10, 2016
United Kingdom
✟53,491.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I hadn't even noticed the mistake! :) I just recognized the wording that you mentioned.
Well you have saved that mistake getting integrated into my brain as the wrong chapter. I had started believing already that it was 50 instead of 55. I only realised when I clicked yr link to read it and noticed that it was what I had meant. So thank you

Reactions: faroukfarouk
Upvote 0

TaigaGirl

May 28, 2017
Warman, Saskatchewan
Visit site
✟16,840.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Hello!

Best regards,

T.

Hi, TajDIN

Great questions, it's good to see that your thinking and trying make sense of these things. :)
I highly recommend checking out this website Perichoresis – C. Baxter Kruger, PhD And if you have any questions......I would love to talk more on this.

I grew up in a christian home, though it wasn't very religious, more laid back parents. If God was truly a angry and punitive being, then I would be an atheist. I don't often read the bible, because there is so much within it that turns my stomach. I more just focus on having a relationship with Papa, Michiko and Jesus. Dialoguing with them about anything and everything. They are my secure attachment in a world that can be so confusing and overwhelming. I adore them and they love me with all of their being. I hope this helps! :)

Upvote 0

Godlovesmetwo

Fringe Catholic
Mar 16, 2016
Antwerp
✟17,860.00
Country
Djibouti
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
God most definitely isn’t all-good, but in fact just freaking selfish.
Hey I take offence to such a comment. That just shows your ignorance. You have a lot to learn my friend about God, Christianity and eternal life. That's if you're interested. More humility on your part would be a good start.

Upvote 0
Jan 16, 2014
✟14,822.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Hey I take offence to such a comment. That just shows your ignorance. You have a lot to learn my friend about God, Christianity and eternal life. That's if you're interested. More humility on your part would be a good start.
They're litterally here asking to learn about God, Christianity, etc., already. You could try giving your own answers to those questions instead of scolding them. Here's a tip: don't expect piety from nonbelievers. Of it upsets you so much that it derails the conversation for you, maybe these aren't conversations you should participate in.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Godlovesmetwo

Fringe Catholic
Mar 16, 2016
Antwerp
✟17,860.00
Country
Djibouti
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
They're litterally here asking to learn about God, Christianity, etc., already. You could try giving your own answers to those questions instead of scolding them. Here's a tip: don't expect piety from nonbelievers. Of it upsets you so much that it derails the conversation for you, maybe these aren't conversations you should participate in.
and I don't need a lecture from you, Mr non-believer, thank you very much

• Haha
Reactions: Athée
Upvote 0

TajDIN

May 29, 2017
Ljubljana
✟7,904.00
Country
Slovenia
Faith
Ignostic
Marital Status
Single

I apologize for offending you, but you have taken my statement out of context. I was saying that IF God can forgive every sin no matter how terrible it is if you praise him, but not praising him is something he can not forgive, THAT is selfish. As he clearly cares more about his praise then basic human decency.

As i said, i am not religious, as i find religion doing more harm than good, but i can respect those who are.
And even though for me the idea of someone hearing everybody murmur to him at the same time, creating the world, the whole Adam and Eve with talking snake thing seems ridiculous to me, i am not dening God, as I DO NOT KNOW if he infact exsicts or not.

All i was trying to do with this post was see how true Christians look at thing i can not make sense of.

Upvote 0

Godlovesmetwo

Fringe Catholic
Mar 16, 2016
Antwerp
✟17,860.00
Country
Djibouti
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
I apologize for offending you, but you have taken my statement out of context. I was saying that IF God can forgive every sin no matter how terrible it is if you praise him, but not praising him is something he can not forgive, THAT is selfish. As he clearly cares more about his praise then basic human decency.

As i said, i am not religious, as i find religion doing more harm than good, but i can respect those who are.
And even though for me the idea of someone hearing everybody murmur to him at the same time, creating the world, the whole Adam and Eve with talking snake thing seems ridiculous to me, i am not dening God, as I DO NOT KNOW if he infact exsicts or not.

All i was trying to do with this post was see how true Christians look at thing i can not make sense of.
Ok well this post seems more agreeable I guess. I forgive you as God asks us to forgive our enemies.

• Haha
Reactions: Athée
Upvote 0

YesMe

Aug 18, 2016
Earth
✟29,560.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Jesus gave us His teachings, He who do not follows His teachings, that person is not from Jesus, if you understand His teachings, you will know who is with Him and who is against Him, even more, you will know Jesus, knowing Jesus you will know God's nature.

Matthew 21:14 "Many are called but few are chosen" So, there are many of us who say I am a christian, but that does it not mean that person is following Jesus teachings, I hope you see my point.

He came into the world the take the sins of the world on Him, He came into the world to write the law in our hearts, He came into the world to show us the way to live a life, to set us free by His truth, to give us eternal life.

Upvote 0

A_Thinker

Supporter
Apr 23, 2004
Midwest
✟931,284.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Everything on Earth is MISUSED by SOME, while others USE these things, including religion, for GOOD.

Would religion be, somehow, shielded from such MISUSE ... ???

Reactions: Strathos
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

A_Thinker

Supporter
Apr 23, 2004
Midwest
✟931,284.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

If you honestly look into the history of christianity, you will find it contains much GOOD, ... while not escaping the EVIL which comes with MISUSE.

A question ... was it according to the TEACHINGS/ETHIC/MORALITY of christianity that children were abused ... or that so-called heretics were burned ?

Or was it a VIOLATION of christian tenets ?

Reactions: Aladin01
Upvote 0

A_Thinker

Supporter
Apr 23, 2004
Midwest
✟931,284.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Christians believe that the Holy Spirit guides us to REPENT of our SINS/EVIL ... and COMMIT to a better way.

If those that have committed child abuse (or any other sins) RESIST the call of the Holy Spirit to REPENT of that sin, they cannot be saved. The Pharisees of Jesus' day, who were, in fact, the MOST RELIGIOUS of sinners, ... SPOKE AGAINST the Holy Spirit in their efforts to RESIST Him, thus prompting Jesus' words here.

Upvote 0

bekkilyn

Contemplative Christian
Supporter
Apr 27, 2017
USA
✟677,608.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Others
God is so perfect and pure that no one with even a trace of sin can be in his presence and live. Not because hates us...he loves the people he has created...but because it's the nature of his perfection. We are all guilty of sin, whether we have murdered or something we consider very small. Sin saturates us as humans and saturates the political and social structures that we have devised on this earth.

We cannot escape sin and become righteous on our own. We cannot work hard and earn our righteousness. We are guilty and eternal death is our penalty, and there is nothing we can do EXCEPT...

God recognized the issue and in his love for us, he decided to pay the penalty for our sins himself, through Jesus the Son. Jesus took all the sins of the earth onto himself and died for us on the cross so that we would not have to pay the penalty of sin on our own. God is just as well as loving so the penalty had to be paid somehow and this was his solution so that the creations he loves so dearly can be with him as was his original intent.

But God also gave us free will and so we also need to accept this gift that God has given us. We must repent, confess and ask for God's forgiveness for our sins and believe in Jesus and what he did for us, that he did rise from the dead and is with God as our Advocate so that we, through Jesus, can stand clean before God.

Even a murderer such as Paul was before his conversion.

I agree with the person above who suggested that reading John would be very helpful.

Upvote 0

TajDIN

May 29, 2017
Ljubljana
✟7,904.00
Country
Slovenia
Faith
Ignostic
Marital Status
Single
If you honestly look into the history of christianity, you will find it contains much GOOD, ... while not escaping the EVIL which comes with MISUSE.

A question ... was it according to the TEACHINGS/ETHIC/MORALITY of christianity that children were abused ... or that so-called heretics were burned ?

Or was it a VIOLATION of christian tenets ?

I was referring to both.

But I am not trying to bash any religion as such. All religions basically teach good and I agree with you there are good and bad interpretations of everything.

What people made of religion is what bothers me and I find it doing more harm than good.

Aren’t you ever bothered by many things that are in Christianity that are not in the Bible? Like original sin, immaculate conception. The virgin birth is only in two of the Gospels.
Are you worried that these things came not from the founders, the people that wrote this book, but from men who came after. All of It is basically fiction, also people who wrote about Jesus never met him.

I mean you Christians could be right. I don't think it's very likely, but, yes, you could be right, because my big thing is I don't know.

The only appropriate attitude for man to have about the big questions
is not the arrogant certitude that is the hallmark of religion, but doubt. Doubt is humble, and that's what man needs to be, considering that human history is just a litany of getting s*** dead wrong.

Upvote 0

A_Thinker

Supporter
Apr 23, 2004
Midwest
✟931,284.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
They are financed by us while Christian church remains to be one of the wealthiest institutions. I do not get that. They preach about the almighty, all-good God and Christian morals while wearing 2000$ suit and gladly taking money from you. Which in my eyes is not something Jesus would stand by.

Again, ... MISUSE by SOME ...

Upvote 0