Being a mom is God's gift 2 me
Sep 27, 2007
Texas
✟16,881.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
My son is autistic and he truly is awesome :)

My son will pee in the potty, he doesn't wear diapers at night, BUT my son has this phobia about doing number 2 in the potty.

He done it once and he just doesn't like it for some reason. He is a thick boy so putting diapers on him just so he can go number 2 is getting difficult.

I do not know what to do, I tried not giving him the option of not giving him the diaper and he will try to hold in his movements for awhile (end up not turning out so great)

Please pray that this fear of doing number 2 in the potty will break.

He can't be 4ft, 80lbs, giant five year old wearing diapers to poo because frankly I do not want to change big man child's diapers lol:doh::groupray::bow:

Pink Spider

EUROPEAN ANGLICAN
Site Supporter
May 26, 2013
Sweden
✟38,072.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Jesusinthegarden_zps0311a0bd.jpg

PRAYING!

Upvote 0

LoricaLady

YHWH's
Site Supporter
Jul 27, 2009
Ohio
✟1,083,486.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
There is a therapy technique for training new skills which is called "backward chaining." I do not know if it will help you son or not, but here is how it goes.

Start with the end of the potty process, like wiping himself, and when he does that, give him some kind of small reward - blowing some bubbles, a tiny treat, whatever he likes. You can even have a puppet model what you want him to do if he will tolerate that. You could make little "bowel movements" out of peanut butter and flour or something and have that to drop from the bottom of the puppet into the toilet bowl.

Break the steps of going number 2 down on paper and gradually train him to do them. If that doesn't work you can try "forward chaining", like if he simply goes toward the potty for number 2, or signals he is about to do it, he gets a reward. Later require a bit more compliance, and so on. Again, maybe use a puppet, who also gets a reward for correct behavior, to show him what you want him to do at each stage.

Autistic children can have sensory issues of various kinds. I am wondering, also, if something about a splashing bowel movement might upset him. Just a thought.

Again, I don't know if that will work. Just a thought. Praying you will be guided in what to do.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums