Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Representative Tim Murphy, a Pro-life Republican from Pennsylvania, apparently urged his mistress to have an abortion when she thought she was pregnant.

I guess Representative Murphy is anti-abortion in the third person - "her abortion, their abortions" but is totally pro-choice in the first person possessive - "my mistress's abortion."

The story can be found here: Rep. Tim Murphy, popular with pro-life movement, urged abortion in affair, texts suggest

SPF

Feb 7, 2017
ATL
✟142,081.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
lol... Congratulations Archivist on pointing out how a man without integrity and character who was willing to commit adultery on his wife is also inconsistent on other moral issues.

Can you let me know what the point of this topic is other than to show that a man without character and integrity is inconsistent and has a real sin issue in his life? Would you like us to pray for him? It sure seems like he could really use it.

Upvote 0

High Fidelity

Site Supporter
Feb 9, 2014
✟904,775.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
A lot of politicians change their tune to fit their agenda. No one is a better example of that than Trump and, well, a lot of Republicans that are 'do as I say, not as I do'.

Upvote 0

SPF

Feb 7, 2017
ATL
✟142,081.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Considering that the majority of those who seek abortions are Christian
Can you cite the source for this?

I'm not sure how this topic fits into the "debates on Abortion" section. All I see is a story about a man who needs prayer. Whether Christian or not, having an affair is a sure-fire way to destroy your marriage and family. And this man has done that. He clearly was living a lie, trying to keep something secret, it blew up in his face, and so he tried to cover it through more sin and more deceit.

I read that and think it's sad. I think this man needs to find another way. This man needs to find Christ. Instead of people looking at this story as Archivist has, and flaunting it on the forum as some additional example of human sin and hypocrisy (which we are all guilty of), we should look at this story and stop and spend some time praying for this man, his wife who I'm sure is devastated, and any children he has who now may end up growing up in a broken home.

Upvote 0

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
Morgantown, West Virginia, USA
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
lol... Congratulations Archivist on pointing out how a man without integrity and character who was willing to commit adultery on his wife is also inconsistent on other moral issues.

Can you let me know what the point of this topic is other than to show that a man without character and integrity is inconsistent and has a real sin issue in his life? Would you like us to pray for him? It sure seems like he could really use it.

I am simply proving a news story about a man who, until this came to light, was viewed by many in the pro-life movement as a man of integrity and character. Mjj27 is correct, the view among some Christians who called themselves pro-life is that "the only good abortion is MY abortion".

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Armoured

So is America great again yet?
Site Supporter
Aug 31, 2013
✟234,967.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Considering that the majority of those who seek abortions are Christian, the guiding principle seems to be "The only good abortion is MY abortion".
Somewhere there's an article about abortion providers' interactions with pro life activists who have abortions. It's an interesting read. I'll try to find it if you like.

Upvote 0

SPF

Feb 7, 2017
ATL
✟142,081.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
I am simply proving a news story about a man who, until this came to light, was viewed by many in the pro-life movement and a man of integrity and character.
Congratulations Archivist, you have provided us with a really sad story about a man who lacks character and integrity and who destroyed his marriage, and made life harder for any children he may have. Should we all go and find stories about people who are inconsistent in life, make terrible decisions and ruin lives? Yea, that sounds like a great idea.

Or, as the Christian you claim to be, you can pause and take a moment and pray for this man that Christ will convict him of his sin, and that he will fight to restore his relationship with his wife and children and that somehow through his terrible choices God will somehow be glorified.

Bottom line, this particular thread has absolutely nothing to do with the morality of abortion, and everything to do with a sinful man who needs accountability, prayer, and Christ. That man's actions have zero relevance on abortion itself and whether or not it is moral.

• Agree
Reactions: redleghunter
Upvote 0

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Congratulations Archivist, you have provided us with a really sad story about a man who lacks character and integrity and who destroyed his marriage, and made life harder for any children he may have. Should we all go and find stories about people who are inconsistent in life, make terrible decisions and ruin lives? Yea, that sounds like a great idea.

I simply provided a current news story about a public figure who is a leading abortion opponent. I do suspect that the Representative will be looking for a new job after the next election.

Or, as the Christian you claim to be, you can pause and take a moment and pray for this man that Christ will convict him of his sin, and that he will fight to restore his relationship with his wife and children and that somehow through his terrible choices God will somehow be glorified.

How do you know that I have not prayed for this man? You are making an assumption.

Bottom line, this particular thread has absolutely nothing to do with the morality of abortion, and everything to do with a sinful man who needs accountability, prayer, and Christ. That man's actions have zero relevance on abortion itself and whether or not it is moral.

This particular section of CF is labeled "Debates on Abortion--Christian Philosophy & Ethics specific for the discussion/debate of abortion." I see nothing in there limiting discussion or debate to "the morality of abortion." If you want to start creating your own rules for posting here that is fine, but those rules do not apply to anyone other than yourself.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

SPF

Feb 7, 2017
ATL
✟142,081.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
I simply provided a current news story about a public figure who is a leading abortion opponent. I do suspect that the Representative will be looking for a new job after the next election.
I suspect he will be looking for a new job as well. For me, the takeaway from this is that it's another reminder of how important it is for us to have accountability in our lives, and to really seek to be honest, have integrity and character, and to honor Christ with our lives.

Sin never just affects us, it impacts those around us as well. This man tried to keep his sin a secret, and it blew up in his face. His selfishness has now resulted most likely in the ruin of his marriage and his career. My hope and prayer for this man will be that he will be able to face his sin head on, repent, and allow God to forgive and restore him.

Reactions: redleghunter
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Zoii

Oct 13, 2016
Australia
✟103,785.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
The OP was a good thread. In my opinion it was highlighting the hypocrasy that can be so very prevalent in our religion; whether it be a discussion on paedophilia, domestic violence or abortion. The OP was highlighting that when it occurs in a country's leadership its all the worse. Our leaders who annouce their christian credentials and who are vocal on issues such as abortion, and then who commit the sin themselves, stand before the community representing christians and expose hypocrasy. A leader who purports to be a bastion of christan morals, and then commits the very act he was decrying, makes all of christianity appear as an uneducated bunch of hypocrites.

This isnt an American issue either. In Australia the deputy Prime minister was a staunch defender of family values and was very vocal against same sex marriage based on the impact it had on the moral construct of a family. No sooner had the same sex marriage debate ended it was discovered that the Deputy PM was having an affair with a staff member, had gotten her pregnant, had given her a preferential position in his office, had left his wife and children...... and it went on and on - Outcome: A leader and bastion of christian morals highlighted to non-christians what a bunch of hypocrites christians can be.

IMO that was the point of this thread

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Mountainmanbob

Goat Whisperer
Site Supporter
Sep 6, 2016
✟1,096,353.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Considering that the majority of those who seek abortions are Christian, the guiding principle seems to be "The only good abortion is MY abortion".

Fake News I think.
M-Bob

Upvote 0

majj27

Mr. Owl has had quite enough
Jun 2, 2014
✟82,705.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Fake News I think.
M-Bob

"News I Don't Like" is not the same as "Fake News". If you have issues with the study in the link provided beyond "I don't like what they found because it conflicts with my opinion", feel free to list them.

Upvote 0

Mountainmanbob

Goat Whisperer
Site Supporter
Sep 6, 2016
✟1,096,353.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
"News I Don't Like" is not the same as "Fake News". If you have issues with the study in the link provided beyond "I don't like what they found because it conflicts with my opinion", feel free to list them.

I say that the majority that seek abortions are not Christians thus the statement made is fake news.

I see no one in our church getting abortions no one.

Where are all these people?

Fake news propaganda.

M-Bob

Upvote 0

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I say that the majority that seek abortions are not Christians thus the statement made is fake news.

I see no one in our church getting abortions no one.

Where are all these people?

Fake news propaganda.

M-Bob
How would you know? I doubt that a woman who had an abortion would stand up during the service and tell the congregation “Hi everyone, guess what I did this past week...”

Upvote 0