Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
You are believing a tripart humanity as the image of God. That notion implies divine complexity. That is the point I made that you missed. I am not ignorant of the simplicity of God. You should read my posts more carefully before you respond.
It's fascinating that a debate about abortion has veered so persistently to the Trinity. This is from Wikipedia under the heading One God in Three Persons:

"The Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit" are not names for different parts of God, but one name for God[77] because three persons exist in God as one entity.[78]"

77. Barth, Karl, and Geoffrey William Bromiley. 1975. The doctrine of the word of God prolegomena to church dogmatics, being volume I, 1. Edinburgh: T. & T. Clark. Pages 348–9.

78. Thomas, and Anton Charles Pegis. 1997. Basic writings of Saint Thomas Aquinas. Indianapolis, Indiana: Hackett Pub. Pages 307–9.

Upvote 0

Eloy Craft

Myth only points, Truth happened!
Site Supporter
Jan 9, 2018
Chandler
✟386,808.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The Trinity is not "parts". That is polytheism. I am not a polytheist. It would appear you are, unwittingly.
Please explain the belief I hold that makes me a polytheist.

Upvote 0

Eloy Craft

Site Supporter
Jan 9, 2018
Chandler
✟386,808.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
It's fascinating that a debate about abortion has veered so persistently to the Trinity. This is from Wikipedia under the heading One God in Three Persons:

"The Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit" are not names for different parts of God, but one name for God[77] because three persons exist in God as one entity.[78]"

77. Barth, Karl, and Geoffrey William Bromiley. 1975. The doctrine of the word of God prolegomena to church dogmatics, being volume I, 1. Edinburgh: T. & T. Clark. Pages 348–9.

78. Thomas, and Anton Charles Pegis. 1997. Basic writings of Saint Thomas Aquinas. Indianapolis, Indiana: Hackett Pub. Pages 307–9.
It's even more fascinating that you think I don't know that.

Upvote 0

Fascinated With God

Traditional Apostolic Methodist
Aug 30, 2012
NY
✟16,259.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
Please explain the belief I hold that makes me a polytheist.
The one that I quoted. Do you need me to quote it again? You called God tripartite. The Trinity is not 3 parts, that is a violation of the Nicene Creed. This is getting very repetitive.

Upvote 0

Fascinated With God

Aug 30, 2012
NY
✟16,259.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
It's even more fascinating that you think I don't know that.
Well, then I'm going to just assume that you understand that your original statements about the Trinity being separate parts or tripart (not a word) are false. Just as our body, soul, and spirits are aspects of our consciousness but still one being.

Mat 22:37
Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind.​

The soul must be conscious to love.

Here is one of Strong's definition of the word psyche/soul:

the (human) soul in so far as it is constituted that by the right use of the aids offered it by God it can attain its highest end and secure eternal blessedness, the soul regarded as a moral being designed for everlasting life
On the other extreme is psychikos. the beastly greedy carnal nature of the soul that exists in all of us and is what makes every soul a battlefield.

Mat 10:20
For it is not ye that speak, but the Spirit of your Father which speaketh in you.​

I think that speaks for itself about the spirit having a consciousness.

If you don't believe the soul and spirit are aspects of our conscious then what do you think happens in the afterlife?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Eloy Craft

Site Supporter
Jan 9, 2018
Chandler
✟386,808.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The one that I quoted. Do you need me to quote it again? You called God tripartite. The Trinity is not 3 parts, that is a violation of the Nicene Creed. This is getting very repetitive.
no. I wrote that YOU believe HUMANS are tripart and that to YOU is the image of God in man.

Upvote 0

Fascinated With God

Aug 30, 2012
NY
✟16,259.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
no. I wrote that YOU believe HUMANS are tripart and that to YOU is the image of God in man.
Since you are the one who used the word "parts" to describe the Trinity that is a confusing accusation. Are you saying you were incorrect when you described the Trinity as parts?

Upvote 0

Fascinated With God

Aug 30, 2012
NY
✟16,259.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
I didn't describe the Trinity.
Ugh, now you are being flat out dishonest:

It is most theological. Which of the Divine Persons is three parts? The Father or the Son or the Holy Spirit?
That's when I jumped on you about the Trinity not being made of parts. Now you rhetorically claim you are making the same accusation to me?

If I'm saying that body/soul/spirit is a reflection of the Trinity then they cannot be parts either. Your accusation is that comparison to the Trinity means parts. You are associating the Trinty with parts again.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Eloy Craft

Site Supporter
Jan 9, 2018
Chandler
✟386,808.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Ugh, now you are being flat out dishonest:

That's when I jumped on you about the Trinity not being made of parts. Now you rhetorically claim you are making the same accusation to me?

If I'm saying that body/soul/spirit is a reflection of the Trinity then they cannot be parts either. Your accusation is that comparison to the Trinity means parts. You are associating the Trinty with parts again.
Man is a composite of matter and spirit. No two ways around that.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Fascinated With God

Aug 30, 2012
NY
✟16,259.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
Man is a composite of matter and spirit. No two ways around that.
There are two orthodox views, trichotomy and dichotomy. Monism is a new rising unorthodox view that I see frequently.

Constitution or nature of the person
Christian theologians have historically differed over the issue of how many distinct components constitute the human being.

Two parts (Dichotomism)
Main articles: Bipartite (theology) and Dualism (philosophy of mind)
The most popular view, affirmed by a large number of lay faithful and theologians from many Christian traditions, is that the human being is formed of two components: material (body/flesh) and spiritual (soul/spirit). The soul or spirit departs from the body at death, and will be reunited with the body at the resurrection.

Three parts (Trichotomism)
Main article: Tripartite (theology)
A significant minority of theologians across the denominational and theological spectrum, in both the East and the West, have held that human beings are made up of three distinct components: body or flesh, soul, and spirit. This is known technically as trichotomism. The biblical texts typically used to support this position are 1 Thessalonians 5:23 and Hebrews 4:12.

One part (Monism)
Modern theologians increasingly hold to the view that the human being is an indissoluble unity. This is known as holism or monism. The body and soul are not considered separate components of a person, but rather as two facets of a united whole. It is argued that this more accurately represents Hebrew thought, whereas body-soul dualism is more characteristic of classical Greek Platonist and Cartesian thought. Monism is the official position of the Seventh-day Adventist Church, which adheres to the doctrine of "soul sleep".

Christian anthropology - Wikipedia

Upvote 0

Eloy Craft

Site Supporter
Jan 9, 2018
Chandler
✟386,808.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
There are two orthodox views, trichotomy and dichotomy. Monism is a new rising unorthodox view that I see frequently.

Constitution or nature of the person
Christian theologians have historically differed over the issue of how many distinct components constitute the human being.

Two parts (Dichotomism)
Main articles: Bipartite (theology) and Dualism (philosophy of mind)
The most popular view, affirmed by a large number of lay faithful and theologians from many Christian traditions, is that the human being is formed of two components: material (body/flesh) and spiritual (soul/spirit). The soul or spirit departs from the body at death, and will be reunited with the body at the resurrection.

Three parts (Trichotomism)
Main article: Tripartite (theology)
A significant minority of theologians across the denominational and theological spectrum, in both the East and the West, have held that human beings are made up of three distinct components: body or flesh, soul, and spirit. This is known technically as trichotomism. The biblical texts typically used to support this position are 1 Thessalonians 5:23 and Hebrews 4:12.

One part (Monism)
Modern theologians increasingly hold to the view that the human being is an indissoluble unity. This is known as holism or monism. The body and soul are not considered separate components of a person, but rather as two facets of a united whole. It is argued that this more accurately represents Hebrew thought, whereas body-soul dualism is more characteristic of classical Greek Platonist and Cartesian thought. Monism is the official position of the Seventh-day Adventist Church, which adheres to the doctrine of "soul sleep".

Christian anthropology - Wikipedia
Is there a point to all this?

Upvote 0

Fascinated With God

Aug 30, 2012
NY
✟16,259.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
Is there a point to all this?
That ensoulment at conception is a materialist belief. Atheists agree that life begins at conception for reasons that aren't so dissimilar. Ensoulment at conception ties ensoulment to a material act rather than God or any kind of explicit spiritual action.

Upvote 0