Pro-life leaders from 13 countries accuse Pope Francis of failing to uphold Church teaching

LivingWordUnity

Unchanging Deposit of Faith, Traditional Catholic
May 10, 2007
✟213,086.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
GettyImages-886819752-800x500.jpg

"Pope Francis speaks during a weekly general audience at the Paul VI audience hall" (Getty Images)
One signatory accused the Pope and other members of the hierarchy of spreading errors

Leaders of pro-life organisations from across the world have signed a letter accusing Church leaders, including Pope Francis, of undermining their movement through ambiguous statements and actions contrary to Catholic teaching.

The letter says that over the past 50 years the pro-life movement has “relied in a particular way on the immutable teaching of the Catholic Church, which affirms the moral law with the greatest clarity.”

However, the signatories say that in recent years that teaching has increasingly been replaced by “ambiguity, and even by doctrines directly contrary to the teaching of Christ and the precepts of the natural law”. More

Source:
Catholic Herald - 12 Dec 2017

• Informative
Reactions: brinny

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,668,300.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
This is just my impression and like all impressions it can be wrong.

But I feel Pope Francis cares entirely too much about his worldly and political presence and not nearly enough about his presence within the Church. I don't find him to be a solid leader or a very caring shepherd of the flock.

The people that love him are those that love their labels and politics. See things in a strictly liberal/ conservative mindset. It is more a cult of personality from my pov. Little substance behind it. I read the other day where someone stated the Lord's Prayers as archaic. An empty statement if I ever saw one. No reason behind it other than the thought was Pope Francis was changing the prayer from the headlines. :rolleyes:

Those that care about growing in the Faith and little about virtue signaling seem to just keep their heads down and trudging through this difficult period in the Church.

As I said, just my impression. I'm not stating it as gospel.

• Agree
Reactions: MoonlessNight
Upvote 0

LivingWordUnity

Unchanging Deposit of Faith, Traditional Catholic
May 10, 2007
✟213,086.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I was telling my wife just this morning that whatever victory the Pro-Life side has recently won in the U.S. is being cancelled out by the actions of the Vatican. And then I saw this news story this afternoon.

• Prayers
Reactions: Michie
Upvote 0

Christie insb

Sep 3, 2015
Santa Barbara, California
✟60,196.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
This is just my impression and like all impressions it can be wrong.

But I feel Pope Francis cares entirely too much about his worldly and political presence and not nearly enough about his presence within the Church. I don't find him to be a solid leader or a very caring shepherd of the flock.

The people that love him are those that love their labels and politics. See things in a strictly liberal/ conservative mindset. It is more a cult of personality from my pov. Little substance behind it. I read the other day where someone stated the Lord's Prayers as archaic. An empty statement if I ever saw one. No reason behind it other than the thought was Pope Francis was changing the prayer from the headlines. :rolleyes:

Those that care about growing in the Faith and little about virtue signaling seem to just keep their heads down and trudging through this difficult period in the Church.

As I said, just my impression. I'm not stating it as gospel.
I hope I can ask this humbly as a request for education since I am not Catholic. I have never understood how the church's position was to not offer absolution to women who have had abortions. If someone can be forgiven for murdering their born infant, why should they not be forgiven for having an abortion if they are repentant? This and divorce getting people unable to receive Holy Communion confuse me.

Upvote 0

Charles in Ky

Roman Catholic
Dec 8, 2017
Louisville Ky
✟24,556.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Hi Christie, this may help understand the Church's position.
In 1995 Pope John Paul II declared that the Church’s teaching on abortion "..is unchanged and unchangeable. Therefore, by the authority which Christ conferred upon Peter and his successors . . . I declare that direct abortion, that is, abortion willed as an end or as a means, always constitutes a grave moral disorder, since it is the deliberate killing of an innocent human being. This doctrine is based upon the natural law and upon the written word of God, is transmitted by the Church’s tradition and taught by the ordinary and universal magisterium. No circumstance, no purpose, no law whatsoever can ever make licit an act which is intrinsically illicit, since it is contrary to the law of God which is written in every human heart, knowable by reason itself, and proclaimed by the Church" (Evangelium Vitae 62).

As far as the Church not absolving the sin of abortion, that is not true. I don't know if that is a stance the Church holds post Second Vatican Council or if it has always been that way.

Someone more knowledgeable may chime in.

God bless

Upvote 0

Christie insb

Sep 3, 2015
✟60,196.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I don't know where you got the idea that the Church does not offer absolution to women that have had abortions because it certainly does.
What I heard was sort of expressed here: Pope extends priests’ special permission to absolve ‘grave sin’ of abortion | CatholicHerald.co.uk
I guess only bishops had the authority to grant absolution before the Year of Jubilee. I guess some bishops granted the permission to forgive it to priests. Anyway. This is why I asked for clarification. What about divorce? Rich people can get annulments, but hardworking people without much time or money would probably find it difficult to do so.

Upvote 0

Christie insb

Sep 3, 2015
✟60,196.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Hi Christie, this may help understand the Church's position.
In 1995 Pope John Paul II declared that the Church’s teaching on abortion "..is unchanged and unchangeable. Therefore, by the authority which Christ conferred upon Peter and his successors . . . I declare that direct abortion, that is, abortion willed as an end or as a means, always constitutes a grave moral disorder, since it is the deliberate killing of an innocent human being. This doctrine is based upon the natural law and upon the written word of God, is transmitted by the Church’s tradition and taught by the ordinary and universal magisterium. No circumstance, no purpose, no law whatsoever can ever make licit an act which is intrinsically illicit, since it is contrary to the law of God which is written in every human heart, knowable by reason itself, and proclaimed by the Church" (Evangelium Vitae 62).

As far as the Church not absolving the sin of abortion, that is not true. I don't know if that is a stance the Church holds post Second Vatican Council or if it has always been that way.

Someone more knowledgeable may chime in.

God bless
Thanks, Charles. Sometimes we don't get the full scoop out here in "we are not Catholic" land.

Reactions: Charles in Ky
Upvote 0

Christie insb

Sep 3, 2015
✟60,196.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Divorced people can and do receive communion. The issues come when a person remarries without annulment or marrys outside of the Church.
OK, thank you for your replies.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,668,300.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The Church absolves by a Bishop. The reason? Automatic excommunication. I heard that in the year of mercy priests were also allowed to absolve. How does this equate with denying absolution to a repentant soul? Absolution was never denied to those that sought it out and wanted to come back into communion with the Church.

This may help explain:
Why weren't all priests able to absolve the sin of abortion already?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,668,300.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
What I heard was sort of expressed here: Pope extends priests’ special permission to absolve ‘grave sin’ of abortion | CatholicHerald.co.uk
I guess only bishops had the authority to grant absolution before the Year of Jubilee. I guess some bishops granted the permission to forgive it to priests. Anyway. This is why I asked for clarification. What about divorce? Rich people can get annulments, but hardworking people without much time or money would probably find it difficult to do so.
Annulments do not cost a huge amount of money. Mine did not cost a dime. Annulments rarely take more than a year anymore and all it requires us sending the pertinent paperwork in. It is not time consuming in the part of the petitioner. The Church does the work as far as that is concerned.

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,668,300.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
How accessible are the bishops? I used to work for the Catholic church and the closest bishop I knew of was 100 miles away.
Well from my experience is that the priest can set up an appointment with the Bishop in your diocese. But usually, the Bishop will give the priest instruction and permission to handle the situation in most cases. My bishop is about 60 miles away. Sorry for the sporatic and out of order replies to your questions. I'm having signal issues.

Upvote 0

Christie insb

Sep 3, 2015
✟60,196.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Well from my experience is that the priest can set up an appointment with the Bishop in your diocese. But usually, the Bishop will give the priest instruction and permission to handle the situation in most cases. My bishop is about 60 miles away. Sorry for the sporatic and out of order replies to your questions. I'm having signal issues.
No problem. I am always a major information hog, so any info is welcome.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums