Upvote 0

trientje

May 23, 2012
✟8,577.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I can't speak for the people in the video, but to me those arguments are not convincing.

The experience of a fetus (not a "baby" or a "child", a fetus) is qualitatively different from that of an adult, a child, or even that of a neonate. Depending on the stage of development, they cannot breathe on their own. They cannot see, cannot hear, cannot even think. Qualitatively in terms of function and existence, it isn't really any more a human being than a teratoma.

In addition, the question "when does it become a human being" is misguided, because it implies the answer is a dichotomy - one day it isn't, the next day it is. Just like how the definitions of adulthood, or adolescence, or maturity are continuously defined and depend on context and the measures employed, so too is the definition of humanity.

Furthermore, the developing organism is completely dependent on the mother to survive. This is really a unique situation in a 'normal' human lifetime, where even the function of carrying oxygen to the body's tissues is dependent on another apparatus. However, a fetus shares several parallels with people in persistent vegetative states. The major difference is that the natural history of the fetus tends toward greater function, whereas the natural history of a person in a persistent vegetative state is generally neutral. Even so, the fact that a decision can be made to end the life of an adult in this state means that such a decision can also be made for a fetus. Assuming the concern is on the individual's experience rather than their future potential, I do not see any qualitative difference between the experience of "coma guy" (so to speak) and the fetus. The assumption is that the individual in a vegetative state will not consciously perceive the act of killing them, and I see no reason why this assumption should not be extended to the fetus. Both have reflexes to stimuli, but in neither case is that taken for a sign of consciousness or self-awareness.

thank you for watching the film and thanks for your opinion. It does seem like you have it all figured out.

Upvote 0

Mr. Pedantic

Jul 13, 2011
Auckland
✟9,178.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0

Belk

Site Supporter
Dec 21, 2005
Seattle
✟905,276.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
The whole war argument is flawed in two ways. One, it is a straw man argument because war is in no way analogous to abortion

That would not be a straw man, it could be a bad analogy. A Straw man is a very specific type of logical fallacy not just a badly constructed argument.

Straw man - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And since it is not intended as an analogy but to demonstrate a single point it is in no way a bad analogy.

and two you assume war is never justified which is not true. Surely you would not make the argument that we should not have gone to war with hitler?

I in no way hinted that I believe war is unjustified. The sole reason that war is brought up, in point of fact, is to counter the claim of unjustified killing. It points out the very real fact that most people believe killing is justified under some circumstances. Even when that killing results in dead women and children.

Upvote 0

IzzyPop

I wear my sunglasses at night...
Jun 2, 2007
✟22,709.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
It seems to me the burden to demonstrate rationality falls on the one trying to justify killing an unborn baby for the convenience of the mother.
Yeah. See 'unborn baby' and 'convenience of the mother'? Those are phrases designed to stir an emotional appeal and not place the discussion into a realm of facts.

Thanks for watching the movie and expressing your opinion. Could you explain rational in regards to this movie?
Comfort is deliberately using words and phrases to elicit an emotional reaction. When the respondents pause for a moment so they can choose their words he jumps in aggressively with an even harsher question, virtually guaranteeing that the responder will be placed on the defensive. Notice the white supremacist and how much time is spent talking to him? Why even include this yahoo unless it is to make a pro-choice person uncomfortable? And the comparison to the Holocaust is wrong on multiple levels and is included merely as a tool to make the pro-choice person squirm on an emotional level.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

chilipepper

Aug 15, 2012
✟15,210.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
when a woman is in a crisis they aren't thinking clearly and are unable to make good choices without guidance. that is true with anyone in a crisis situation. And what we try to do is present to them logical alternatives. It has nothing to do with a person's intelligence. when you say you do not want to be forced to continue a pregnancy, who are you thinking of? Just yourself. You are not thinking of the life that is within you. Actions have consequences. Your chose to have sex, but by not wanting to give the life inside of you a chance to also live you are committing a very selfish act.

So it all comes down to poor hysterical women not being able to think clearly. Of course. I am not denying that actions have consequences. But in no other situation do we force people to just deal with the consequences, without any options.
Indeed it is selfish. When it comes to my body I will absolutely be selfish.

Upvote 0

Jeffwhosoever

Faithful Servant & Seminary Student
Christian Forums Staff
Chaplain
Angels Team
Site Supporter
Sep 21, 2009
Southern US
✟393,489.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
So it all comes down to poor hysterical women not being able to think clearly. Of course. I am not denying that actions have consequences. But in no other situation do we force people to just deal with the consequences, without any options.

At what point does it become murder, in your view?

Upvote 0

chilipepper

Aug 15, 2012
✟15,210.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
At what point does it become murder, in your view?

Past the point when the fetus/baby/whatever you want to call it can exist outside of the mother's body.

Edit to add: And at that point I wouldn't even call it murder. Murder implies malicious intent. I would call it ethically wrong, but murder...no.

Upvote 0

trientje

May 23, 2012
✟8,577.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

No, in a crisis situation we all have trouble making good decisions because emotion takes over. To have someone by their side to help them is a good thing. When a woman finds herself with an unwanted pregnancy she certainly does have options. You have options. You have decided to be selfish.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

chilipepper

Aug 15, 2012
✟15,210.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
No, in a crisis situation we all have trouble making good decisions because emotion takes over. To have someone by their side to help them is a good thing. When a woman finds herself with an unwanted pregnancy she certainly does have options. You have options. You have decided to be selfish.

Yes, and people like yourself would like to limit what options I have. I've never had an abortion but if I got pregnant right now I would. And yes it would be selfish. Sometimes people need to be selfish.

Upvote 0

mathetes123

Dec 26, 2011
✟10,634.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
chilipepper said:
Past the point when the fetus/baby/whatever you want to call it can exist outside of the mother's body.

Edit to add: And at that point I wouldn't even call it murder. Murder implies malicious intent. I would call it ethically wrong, but murder...no.

If dependence on the mother is the criterion a baby cannot survive on its own after birth. Would you support infanticide?

Upvote 0

Skaloop

Agnostic atheist, pro-choice anti-abortion
May 10, 2006
Burnaby
Visit site
✟29,046.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-NDP
If dependence on the mother is the criterion a baby cannot survive on its own after birth. Would you support infanticide?

A baby is not dependent on the mother; it's dependent on someone, but that need not be the mother.

The difference is that a baby can survive under the care of someone other than its mother. A fetus cannot.

Upvote 0

mathetes123

Dec 26, 2011
✟10,634.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Skaloop said:
A baby is not dependent on the mother; it's dependent on someone, but that need not be the mother.

The difference is that a baby can survive under the care of someone other than its mother. A fetus cannot.

Premature babies less than 2 lbs have survived outside the womb.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.