Nov 11, 2010
✟22,581.00
Faith
Buddhist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
You need to raise the national minimum for this to even be remotely feasible, or at least the neighboring states.

What do you think the long-term effects of the $15 minimum wage will be on the Seattle area? I think that jobs will be moving to the other side of the state.

Upvote 0

Vylo

Stick with the King!
Aug 3, 2003
New Jersey
✟203,465.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
What do you think the long-term effects of the $15 minimum wage will be on the Seattle area? I think that jobs will be moving to the other side of the state.

When they are so localized and severe? It will drive up prices locally. You are also likely to have industrial manufacturers fold up factories, and it will be hell to bring in anyone new.

Upvote 0

abdAlSalam

Bearded Marxist
Sep 14, 2012
✟11,120.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Washington state already has the highest minimum wage in the country. Advocates of a $15 minimum wage refuse to consider the impact it will have on small businesses like independently-owned restaurants and convenience stores, etc.

Yes, Washington State already has the highest minimum wage in the country. We also have one of the highest growth rates re: small businesses.

Now, you can definitely attribute that to any number of other factors. Our economy in general has fared quite well. We have a great tech sector, shipping, agriculture, and a bit of heavy industry still.

We're also home to Costco which pays an amazing wage (non-supervisory wages range from $11 to $21) as well as paying healthcare benefits. All this is a worker's dream in comparison to places like Wal-Mart, and yet Costco are still doing great.

All this being said, I also doubt the idea that $15/hr proponents don't consider the impact that the higher wage will have; that's why they advocated for a phase-in period for small businesses. They just believe that the costs will be outweighed by the benefits.

Upvote 0

[serious]

'As we treat the least of our brothers...' RIP GA
Site Supporter
Aug 29, 2006
✟72,846.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
With all these convoluted charts of who has to pay what minimum wage in Seattle, is it possible this group is exempt from those laws?

I think you are joking, but in case you have trouble with reading charts and graphs, the $15 minimum wage is phased in. It's a series of scheduled increases followed by indexing to inflation. The first year that $15 will be the minimum wage will be 2017, with an additional year for companies that provide health benefits. Small companies (under 500 people) get some extra time too.

The minimum wage there right now is $11, meaning that they are paying above minimum wage.

Upvote 0

abdAlSalam

Bearded Marxist
Sep 14, 2012
✟11,120.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
[serious];66495814 said:
I think you are joking, but in case you have trouble with reading charts and graphs, the $15 minimum wage is phased in. It's a series of scheduled increases followed by indexing to inflation. The first year that $15 will be the minimum wage will be 2017, with an additional year for companies that provide health benefits. Small companies (under 500 people) get some extra time too.

The minimum wage there right now is $11, meaning that they are paying above minimum wage.
The phase in doesn't actually start until April of next year, so as of now the minimum wage in Seattle is still the state minimum wage.

Upvote 0