• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.

Privatize Marriage???

Discussion in 'Controversial Christian Theology' started by Aquila0121, Mar 22, 2012.

1. Conor B

Conor B Newbie

+7
    Messianic
    Married
    US-Constitution
    As far as I'm concerned "marriage" is a covenant made between a man, a woman, and God, typically with a spiritual overseer officiating. As far as I'm concerned the state has no part in marriage nor should they.

Considering the travesty that civil marriages have become and the abomination that some states have imposed on the citizenry under the guise of "marriage" my feeling is that Christians should opt out of the civil process altogether and return to covenant marriages alone.

2. Soulgazer

Soulgazer Christian Gnostic

+63
    Non-Denom
    Married
    I will second the feeling. I think "civil union" should replace the term "marriage" on all legal documents, which in the eyes of the state, "Marriage" is but a civil contract anyway, as by law,(in the USA) church and state should stay separate. Then a church could either endorse a marriage or not depending on it's particular custom. If one wishes to belong to a particular church, one should be willing to follow the rules of that church, or select one of the other 30,000 denominations.

3. LittleLambofJesus

LittleLambofJesus Hebrews 2:14.... Pesky Devil, git! Supporter

+28,465
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    US-Libertarian
    Hello Aquila. What is your view of this covenantle parable/story in Luke 16?

Luke 16 "Rich Man/Poor Man" parable.....The most misunderstood/misinterpreted Parable in the NT?

Luke 16 YLT
    14 And also the Pharisees, being lovers of money, were hearing all these things, and were deriding him, 15 and he said to them, ‘Ye are those declaring yourselves righteous before men, but God doth know your hearts; because that which among men is high, [is] abomination before God; 16 the law and the prophets [are] till John; since then the reign of God is proclaimed good news, and every one doth press into it; 17 and it is easier to the heaven and the earth to pass away, than of the law one tittle to fall.
    18 ‘Every one who is sending away his wife, and marrying another, doth commit adultery; and every one who is marrying her sent away from a husband doth commit adultery.

19 Yet a certain Man was rich and was clothed purple and fine-linen, making-merry down to a-day shiningly

4. SkyWriting

SkyWriting The Librarian Supporter

+6,076
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    US-Others

The law has always recognised "informal" marriages after some amount of time involved.

5. ~Zao~

~Zao~ Wisdom’s child Supporter

+912
    Canada
    Christian
    Private
    If, according to popular belief, that the downside of human nature is stepping on others to gain advantage, which the unjust steward points out, then Dives is guilty of nothing. But if indifference is a crime, which this parable seems to point to, then the guilt is justified.
    In a sense the ‘friend' Dives needs to gain admission into ‘the bosom of Abraham’ is letting go of flesh(lower nature) so that flesh in resurrection is obtainable.
    But Christ points out that Moses and the Prophets were until John so it places the parable as Jewish. The friends there that carry to Abrahams bosom are the angels.

6. ~Zao~

~Zao~ Wisdom’s child Supporter

+912
    Canada
    Christian
    Private
    Oops, wrong thread loll

7. LaBèlla

LaBèlla ❤️ Supporter

+5,847
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    Greetings,

I don’t view cohabitation or non ceremonial unions as ideal for myself. I’m not interested in a lavish event. But I would like to share that special day with friends and loved ones. While I understand the legal ramifications of marriage and the challenges many face, merging our resources is part of the agreement.

I’m not fond of the idea of circumventing a legal union. It leads to questions of trust and oneness I don’t want to bring into the relationship. Marriage is a risk and I’m okay with that. There’s nothing I’d lose that God can’t restore.

~Bella

8. AGJakeH

AGJakeH New Member

+27
    United States
    Pentecostal
    Married
    In my eyes, a marriage is between one man one woman and their God(s) or lack thereof. The government has no place in marriage, never has and never will. However they do have a place in upholding contracts and there’s nothing that should stop two (or more) informed, consenting adults from saying that what was once individually theirs is now collectively theirs.

I fully understand that my POV is much more nuanced than most in my area of the country and my denomination.