JenniferLW

Mar 4, 2015
✟11,259.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi,
I wasn't sure where to post my question so I thought I'd ask here first. Have any of you written letters to prisoners? I haven't had much success finding an organization online to help me get started.
I'm hoping someone here may have some experience doing this. My next idea was to contact our state prison and talk to the Chaplin to see what I could find out. Any and all information about this would be super helpful!
Thanks!

• Useful
Reactions: Christie insb

God is good

Oct 4, 2016
Michigan
✟201,885.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hi,
I wasn't sure where to post my question so I thought I'd ask here first. Have any of you written letters to prisoners? I haven't had much success finding an organization online to help me get started.
I'm hoping someone here may have some experience doing this. My next idea was to contact our state prison and talk to the Chaplin to see what I could find out. Any and all information about this would be super helpful!
Thanks!
Got some information for you from a guy I used to work with, he gave it to me when I still worked there. www.crossroadbibleinstitute.org, he has been writing to them for 3 years I believe, it could be more, it's completely anonymous and the people have no idea who you are, that way you feel safe. Hope this helps. God bless you and Jesus is Lord.

Upvote 0

JenniferLW

Mar 4, 2015
✟11,259.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I hate to alarm you, but a teenager in our area wrote to a prisoner and when he got out they married. Then he murdered her parents and sister when she was at work. It was so sad.

Oh wow!! That's horrible! It sounds like this person was looking for romance rather than ministering to them.

My purpose isn't in meeting the person but would like to write to a woman prisoner who is seeking Christ and may need encouragement. I'd like to be there to say that your time in prison doesn't need to define you forever. You can be made new! I was made new by the grace of God and even though my story may be different than hers, I was and still am a sinner in need of a savior and my life was and is continuing to be transformed by Him. Jesus' words tell me how important it is to reach out to those who need it most.

I was in prison and you came to visit me … I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me.”
(Matthew 25:36, 40)

Upvote 0

Tom 1

Optimistic sceptic
Supporter
Nov 13, 2017
Tarnaveni
✟818,769.00
Country
Romania
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I hate to alarm you, but a teenager in our area wrote to a prisoner and when he got out they married. Then he murdered her parents and sister when she was at work. It was so sad.

Hopefully that’s a fairly unusual outcome

Upvote 0

JenniferLW

Mar 4, 2015
✟11,259.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Got some information for you from a guy I used to work with, he gave it to me when I still worked there. www.crossroadbibleinstitute.org, he has been writing to them for 3 years I believe, it could be more, it's completely anonymous and the people have no idea who you are, that way you feel safe. Hope this helps. God bless you and Jesus is Lord.

Thank you! That sounds like what I'm looking for.

Upvote 0

R. Hartono

Feb 2, 2018
Depok
✟22,935.00
Country
Indonesia
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
My purpose isn't in meeting the person but would like to write to a woman prisoner who is seeking Christ and may need encouragement.
Its good to console abandoned people, just contact the jail administration and explain your intention to give a Biblical counseling.

• Useful
Reactions: Inhocsigno
Upvote 0

Southernscotty

Angels Team
Supporter
Mar 5, 2018
Arkansas
✟504,848.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Celibate
The laws vary from prison to prison and state to state, They will make you sign release forms and also NEVER give ANY personal information to ANYONE other than the prison of course as you will be background checked etc:
I suggest us a PO box and a name like we use here.
Never reveal personal info to these men and women because there is always that off chance of something going astray. This is a wonderful thing you seek to do, but use great caution. Most of the people you will have contact with will send you artwork they do and show great appreciation to you for helping them. I think that keeping the relationship purely on Jesus and not discussing other things is the best way to do things, that way you will not be caught up in some of the crazy antics they get involved in.
Many inmates play a game that is called "Downing a duck" it is a game to see how many people they can get to do things for them. So never do any favors outside of what is in the scripture. Bless you

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

JenniferLW

Mar 4, 2015
✟11,259.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The laws vary from prison to prison and state to state, They will make you sign release forms and also NEVER give ANY personal information to ANYONE other than the prison of course as you will be background checked etc:
Never reveal personal info to these men and women because there is always that off chance of something going astray. This is a wonderful thing you seek to do, but use great caution. Most of the people you will have contact with will send you artwork they do and show great appreciation to you for helping them. I think that keeping the relationship purely on Jesus and not discussing other things is the best way to do things, that way you will not be caught up in some of the crazy antics they get involved in.
Many inmates play a game that is called "Downing a duck" it is a game to see how many people they can get to do things for them. So never do any favors outside of what is in the scripture. Bless you

You've given some excellent advice. Thank you! We currently us a PO box but it may be worth it to get a new another one just for this so it can't be linked with my name.
I really appreciate your reply and warning of not being manipulated. Thank you.

Upvote 0

Southernscotty

Angels Team
Supporter
Mar 5, 2018
Arkansas
✟504,848.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Celibate
You've given some excellent advice. Thank you! We currently us a PO box but it may be worth it to get a new another one just for this so it can't be linked with my name.
I really appreciate your reply and warning of not being manipulated. Thank you.
No problem Sister, Anything that I can ever do to help ya just feel free to ask :]

• Friendly
Reactions: Inhocsigno
Upvote 0

rhawk

I'm a CAT-HOLIC, proud cat parent & Catholic.
Supporter
Mar 25, 2015
Montana
✟420,361.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
I pursued it on my own. I'm in the northeast, so I've tried to correspond with jails int that area. I have 2 responses from Riker's Island.
I would love to know how it has worked out so far. I have started to write some in different states as well.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Inhocsigno

Dec 20, 2007
✟26,227.00
Faith
Lutheran

Greetings Southernscotty,
Thank you for this helpful information on the process and the important considerations to keep in mind. Several in our flock have been interested in such efforts, and have been hindered in part out of concerns over the very things you have addressed. It is indeed important to approach such efforts both with genuine passion but also with caution and good judgment. It is indeed of importance to heed proper precautions, and your discussion of the topic provides a good guide-post for those with questions.

Upvote 0

Dave Darling

Jan 10, 2016
Harrisburg, PA
✟114,179.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Hi,
Thanks!

I have considered doing this myself, may do it someday. I have heard from several people who have been in prison that getting a letter means alot, helps alot!

Upvote 0