✟285,092.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
some feel that they are the worst of sinners

I am so interested in attending a workshop if I can, bc I'm interested in working with women if possible.

I am inspired by the many stories I hear on the street about how rough it is to get a job or housing as a felon, and the many women who get involved with a violent partner for economic reasons ...

It is complex at times

Upvote 0

teresa

Site Supporter
Dec 15, 2015
united states
✟285,092.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
"The Gospel of grace lifts burdens off people

they feel very heavily burdened with what they did, especially with how they let their fathers down/families down

We are not here to put burdens on people"
-Institutional Ministries

Come to me all ye who are weary, and burdened, and I will give you rest

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Dave G.

May 22, 2017
Sandiwich
✟324,679.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
I had a chance to hook up with our local county prisons chaplain. I prayed on it for a couple of months and God did not answer so I never did it. I've been active in churches, doing as pastors have required of me and I've prayed on various kinds of ministries with equal results ( one church I was involved in even closed it's doors). I'm reasonably convinced at this point that God has no big call on my life like an official ministry but to just speak the gospel message here and there to individuals as He leads me at a given time, I don't think I passed His testing. I'm a little disappointed in that but it's His will not mine. All the ideas of ministry were mine not His in the end. So I hope/pray He meets you in your endeavour ! It must be His will, His calling you, or it will never work out, the Holy Spirit has to be in it..

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Southernscotty

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2018
Arkansas
✟504,848.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Celibate
Take time for personal reflection on prison ministry, especially if you are not accustomed to setting aside your own agendas. Consider the following questions carefully, both individually and with your group, BEFORE starting to form a prison ministry:

1. How well do I really understand prison systems and culture? Have I already made assumptions and judgments that I may need to question?
  2. Do I understand how important it is to be covered appropriately in prayer before entering a prison?
  3. How willing am I to ask for help and power from the Holy Spirit to avoid the pitfalls of flaunting my own agenda?
  4. When was the last time I truly confessed my own sins to God and others?
  5. Am I willing and able to ask for forgiveness for those sins, thoughts, and past judgments; and am I humble and teachable enough to allow God to remove my defects?
  6. How well do I let go and let God in most situations?
  7. Can I truly listen to and love all inmates unconditionally — even child molesters, murderers, or rapists?
  8. Will I have difficulty refraining from asking details about an inmate’s particular crimes, especially when driven by assumptions about him/her or negative feelings?
  9. Am I able to help a rapist, murderer or any other type of sinner (in prison or not) feel as special as my other church brothers and sisters?
  10. Can I look a prisoner in the eye and truly smile at him or her?
  11. When speaking one-on-one with an inmate, can I listen to him or her as if s/he is the most important one in the room?
  12. How willing am I to allow an inmate to pray God’s will over me?
  13. Am I truly ready to love the prisoner through God’s love in me?
  14. In what ways am I unprepared for this ministry, and how will I get ready?
Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly, teaching and admonishing one another in all wisdom, singing psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, with thankfulness in your hearts to God. And whatever you do, in word or deed, do everything in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him. (Colossians 3:16-17, English Standard Version)2

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Southernscotty

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2018
Arkansas
✟504,848.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Celibate
I had a chance to hook up with our local county prisons chaplain. I prayed on it for a couple of months and God did not answer so I never did it. I've been active in churches, doing as pastors have required of me and I've prayed on various kinds of ministries with equal results ( one church I was involved in even closed it's doors). I'm reasonably convinced at this point that God has no big call on my life like an official ministry but to just speak the gospel message here and there to individuals as He leads me at a given time, I don't think I passed His testing. I'm a little disappointed in that but it's His will not mine. All the ideas of ministry were mine not His in the end. So I hope/pray He meets you in your endeavour ! It must be His will, His calling you, or it will never work out, the Holy Spirit has to be in it..
Hello Brother, I commend you in "waiting on the Lord" Too many people jump the gun and rush into this only to be broken. These inmates are like animals in a pound, [I know this sounds mean, But I mean well] The last thing they need is someone to come in, show them some love and then disappear from their lives again. Many of them have been left by people all of their lives and they do not give out trust easily, So when they do and you have earned their trust, The last thing that you want to do is run off on them.
It breaks them down with depression and robs them of whatever faith they have started to put into you and others.

Upvote 0

Southernscotty

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2018
Arkansas
✟504,848.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Celibate
There are around around 7 billion people on earth God can call on to fulfill ministries. But the question is has He called you into this ministry ?
Amen. That is the truth.

Upvote 0

Southernscotty

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2018
Arkansas
✟504,848.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Celibate
Amen. That is the truth.
This is not a ministry for the weak and timid as you will see and hear things that make your skin crawl. However we are commanded to visit the sick and those incarcerated and God has instilled certain people with "gifts' to reach these guys and girls.
As Paul says I am the chief of sinners, So am I. I understand these people, because I once was no different than most of them, In fact I am not any different necessary now except for God's grace.

Upvote 0

Dave G.

May 22, 2017
Sandiwich
✟324,679.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Hello Brother, I commend you in "waiting on the Lord" Too many people jump the gun and rush into this only to be broken. These inmates are like animals in a pound, [I know this sounds mean, But I mean well] The last thing they need is someone to come in, show them some love and then disappear from their lives again. Many of them have been left by people all of their lives and they do not give out trust easily, So when they do and you have earned their trust, The last thing that you want to do is run off on them.
It breaks them down with depression and robs them of whatever faith they have started to put into you and others.
Well thank you. Um, it wasn't right and it was coming off the heals of working with someone in the sex related crimes, one who was first victimized and then the prowler, who bailed on our communication. I poured all I had into this one and I was not judging her, in fact stated I could not judge her only because she asked about a certain kind of sex act she didn't agree with the bible on. But the bible sure was pointing to some truths, LOL ! But in this prison ministry I'd have been going in under the guidance of the prison chaplain in this case, still after two months of prayer and waiting on the Lord, never heard from God on it. Or any other ministry except the one where the church closed and the pastor had me on minor 10-15 minute roles in service.. That church closing was awful but He knows best even though I felt very at home there. I thought I wanted to go to bible school, had two pastors encouraging me but the Lord seemed to be telling me no to that as well. I think He just wants me to live my life in Him period, forget ministry and maybe I can with His will just be a light to someone someday..

Incidentally, God revealed to me a demon on that girls face, she had been part of a gang and involved in voodoo along the way as well...

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Southernscotty

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2018
Arkansas
✟504,848.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Celibate
Well thank you. Um, it wasn't right and it was coming off the heals of working with someone in the sex related crimes, one who was first victimized and then the prowler, who bailed on our communication. I poured all I had into this one and I was not judging her, in fact stated I could not judge her only because she asked about a certain kind of sex act she didn't agree with the bible on. But the bible sure was pointing to some truths, LOL ! But in this prison ministry I'd have been going in under the guidance of the prison chaplain in this case, still after two months of prayer and waiting on the Lord, never heard from God on it. Or any other ministry except the one where the church closed and the pastor had me on minor 10-15 minute roles in service.. That church closing was awful but He knows best even though I felt very at home there. I thought I wanted to go to bible school, had two pastors encouraging me but the Lord seemed to be telling me no to that as well. I think He just wants me to live my life in Him period, forget ministry and maybe I can with His will just be a light to someone someday..

Incidentally, God revealed to me a demon on that girls face, she had been part of a gang and involved in voodoo along the way as well...
Sorry to hear of the church closing, I saw a demon manifest in a man in jail one day. I started praying out loud and he jumped up and yelled devil and started running into a concrete wall over and over and taking his clothes off. When he looked at me, His eyes looked like snake eyes. It startled me to say the least and I do not know why I said, this but it came out of my mouth, Just one loud word. JESUS and he put on his clothes and sat back down on the rack. The other guys that were in there, Their eyes were as big as moon pies and didn't utter peep. lol
I will always remember that day as long as I live, The look of his face all distorted and his eyes like slits.

Upvote 0

Dave G.

May 22, 2017
Sandiwich
✟324,679.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Sorry to hear of the church closing, I saw a demon manifest in a man in jail one day. I started praying out loud and he jumped up and yelled devil and started running into a concrete wall over and over and taking his clothes off. When he looked at me, His eyes looked like snake eyes. It startled me to say the least and I do not know why I said, this but it came out of my mouth, Just one loud word. JESUS and he put on his clothes and sat back down on the rack. The other guys that were in there, Their eyes were as big as moon pies and didn't utter peep. lol
I will always remember that day as long as I live, The look of his face all distorted and his eyes like slits.
Seeing a demon on someones face happened to me twice, no actually three times. That girl, she turned and looked up at me, in a flash I saw her rather pretty face turn demonic, reddish pink, pointed ears, fangs and strained facial features. It went away as fast as it started, it was a glimpse I was meant to see.

The second on a pastors face,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, as he spoke an untruth in the pulpit. This one went dark looking, the eyes lit up, same pointed ears and his words had a ringing sounds as he spoke that untruth.

The third another woman, a beautiful face contorted and her eyes went to really wide open pupils and all gray as she became convicted of her lifestyle in tears. I pray a seed was planted that day, but she has some demons to unload.

The first two were the Lord showing me this in their lives or words. The last was a real manifestation from within that woman.

Upvote 0

Kersh

Jan 23, 2016
Michigan
✟24,645.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Anyone here interested in starting prison ministry or gettng some tips and ideas about how to go about it/any problems or concerns?

Lets talk and share with each other here

I have been volunteering for Prison Fellowship for a little over a year. I enrolled in Seminary this past fall to start equipping myself for more full time prison and post-prison ministry. One of the needs that I see is for those who are being released. Many times people learn solid biblical and recovery principles on the inside, but don't know where to look for a stable support system on the outside. So, they go back to the dope house instead of the church. I'd really like to see the church proactively seek to welcome released prisoners into our body and into our community.

Upvote 0

Southernscotty

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2018
Arkansas
✟504,848.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Celibate
I have been volunteering for Prison Fellowship for a little over a year. I enrolled in Seminary this past fall to start equipping myself for more full time prison and post-prison ministry. One of the needs that I see is for those who are being released. Many times people learn solid biblical and recovery principles on the inside, but don't know where to look for a stable support system on the outside. So, they go back to the dope house instead of the church. I'd really like to see the church proactively seek to welcome released prisoners into our body and into our community.
Amen Brother, I have had the same problem here, Many of our guys have nowhere to go, so they return to the same old habits. I pray that more churches will get involved with this.

Upvote 0