Prison Ministry? Juvenile Delinquency Ministry?

ZACTAK

Contributor
Feb 12, 2005
Missouri
✟16,157.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Hey guys! I am currently a social work major at Southwest Missouri State University, and I know that God is calling me to help people. I really believe he is pulling me to help those that are in prison or a juvenile detention center. God has really impacted my life a lot, and I am wondering if there is anyone out there who works in a ministry that reaches out to prisoners or juvenile delinquents? And what it is like, what type of training you went through, and any information you might have for someone considering it. Thanks, I might have more questions! But thanks in advance and God Bless.

kidsminister

Mar 8, 2004
✟8,419.00
Faith
Pentecostal
I don't know about specifically training for that type of ministry...I think you're on the right track with a social work degree (it'll open tons of doors for you to minister!)

With a ministry like that, it's experience more than anything else that will get you the training you need. Call your local juvenile detention centers and see how you could get in to meet with the kids. Maybe teach them a skill that you know - give them hope that they ARE good at something other than committing crimes!

You don't need to go in and "preach the gospel" in order to impact a lot of the kids there. My brother spent time in a couple of juvenile centers and he was most impacted by the teachers/volunteers/whoever who took the time to get to know him, to build a relationship with him.

Whatever you do, the kids WILL show up...it's a break in routine and sometimes a way to get out of their chores for the day.

It's a tough mission field, but it's wide open! I don't know if you ever watched the show "Oz" on HBO when it was on, but there's a great quote by Augustus Hill (the narrator):

"One of the ways the church can show mercy is to visit the imprisoned. So...COME ON DOWN!"

Upvote 0

Unofficial Reverand Alex

Pray in silence...God speaks softly
Supporter
Dec 22, 2017
The Mystical Lands of Rural Indiana
Visit site
✟526,763.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
Not sure. I'm feeling called in that direction, too, and I'm currently a freshman psychology major.
You don't need to go in and "preach the gospel" in order to impact a lot of the kids there. My brother spent time in a couple of juvenile centers and he was most impacted by the teachers/volunteers/whoever who took the time to get to know him, to build a relationship with him.
This helps, thank you.

Upvote 0