East of Manchester
✟2,622,609.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Jesus said,'I am the true vine and my Father is the gardener' (John 15:1) How do we abide in Him and He in us?
This was my question when I first became a Christian many years ago...different versions of the Bible said...if you remain in me....if you dwell in me, ...if you live in me...it was all so confusing!
Now I know that it is a living relationship, it is spending time with the Lord, praying, reading the Bible, spending precious time with the Lord...it is so good.

Upvote 0

quietbloke

Brother in Christ
Site Supporter
Jun 30, 2006
England
✟807,383.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
This was my question when I first became a Christian many years ago...different versions of the Bible said...if you remain in me....if you dwell in me, ...if you live in me...it was all so confusing!
Now I know that it is a living relationship, it is spending time with the Lord, praying, reading the Bible, spending precious time with the Lord...it is so good.
Amen! It is a living relationship!

Upvote 0

rocknanchor

Continue Well 2 John 9
Site Supporter
Jan 27, 2009
Notre Dame, IN
✟986,160.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
I like that Pilgrim, "living". They summed mine up with a little different twist back in those early days within those Baptist circles, , a “personal” relationship. I’m not so sure anymore. Personal could be a sight worse off than “living” I think. If our personal isn’t in line with the living God, we just may be called on it, like the rich man who became little boy blue. Matthew 19:22.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

quietbloke

Brother in Christ
Site Supporter
Jun 30, 2006
England
✟807,383.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
I like that Pilgrim, "living". They summed mine up with a little different twist back in those early days within those Baptist circles, , a “personal” relationship. I’m not so sure anymore. Personal could be a sight worse off than “living” I think. If our personal isn’t in line with the living God, we just may be called on it, like the rich man who became little boy blue. Matthew 19:22.
I sense your caution 'rock',but am so glad that we have a personal,living Saviour in our LORD Jesus Christ,based on God's Word. Amen

Upvote 0

rocknanchor

Continue Well 2 John 9
Site Supporter
Jan 27, 2009
Notre Dame, IN
✟986,160.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Yes entirely in that sense QB, it is for the Christian by being supported with so much in the word starting with Galatians 2:20. But the days of permissiveness are upon us with corruptible teaching upon the convert that is in no shape to deal with. The young are coming out of Bible colleges with the old "lighten up, everyone has faults", thinking, because God is love will somehow excuse us from His holiness.

It's this type I am referring, and this type that steers full-clear of the Holy Spirit's conviction.

Upvote 0

quietbloke

Brother in Christ
Site Supporter
Jun 30, 2006
England
✟807,383.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Yes entirely in that sense QB, it is for the Christian by being supported with so much in the word starting with Galatians 2:20. But the days of permissiveness are upon us with corruptible teaching upon the convert that is in no shape to deal with. The young are coming out of Bible colleges with the old "lighten up, everyone has faults", thinking, because God is love will somehow excuse us from His holiness.

It's this type I am referring, and this type that steers full-clear of the Holy Spirit's conviction.
Yes,I understand your caution,'rock' People need to 'abide in Him and He in us'.

Upvote 0

musicalpilgrim

pilgrim on the sacred music pathway
Angels Team
Site Supporter
Jan 11, 2012
East of Manchester
✟2,622,609.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
I have been praying with the desire to 'abide in him' and to that end, praying consistantly and at all times...
this reading from biblegateway came through this morning and I found it so relevant...
Today's Reading
Good things as well as bad, you know, are caught by a kind of infection. If you want to get warm you must stand near the fire: if you want to be wet you must get into the water. If you want joy, power, peace, eternal life, you must get close to, or even into, the thing that has them. They are not a sort of prize which God could, if He chose, just hand out to anyone. They are a great fountain of energy and beauty spurting up at the very centre of reality. If you are close to it, the spray will wet you: if you are not, you will remain dry. Once a man is united to God, how could he not live forever?

From Mere Christianity
Compiled in Words to Live By
Mere Christianity
. Copyright © 1952, C. S. Lewis Pte. Ltd. Copyright renewed © 1980, C. S. Lewis Pte. Ltd. All rights reserved. Used with permission of HarperCollins Publishers. Words to Live By: A Guide for the Merely Christian. Copyright © 2007 by C. S. Lewis Pte. Ltd. All rights reserved. Used with permission of HarperCollins Publishers.

isn't it amazing...
If you want to get warm you must stand near the fire: if you want to be wet you must get into the water. If you want joy, power, peace, eternal life, you must get close to, or even into, the thing that has them.
well, I want to abide in him, so I must come close to ...

Upvote 0

quietbloke

Brother in Christ
Site Supporter
Jun 30, 2006
England
✟807,383.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
I have been praying with the desire to 'abide in him' and to that end, praying consistantly and at all times...
this reading from biblegateway came through this morning and I found it so relevant...
Today's Reading
Good things as well as bad, you know, are caught by a kind of infection. If you want to get warm you must stand near the fire: if you want to be wet you must get into the water. If you want joy, power, peace, eternal life, you must get close to, or even into, the thing that has them. They are not a sort of prize which God could, if He chose, just hand out to anyone. They are a great fountain of energy and beauty spurting up at the very centre of reality. If you are close to it, the spray will wet you: if you are not, you will remain dry. Once a man is united to God, how could he not live forever?

From Mere Christianity
Compiled in Words to Live By
Mere Christianity
. Copyright © 1952, C. S. Lewis Pte. Ltd. Copyright renewed © 1980, C. S. Lewis Pte. Ltd. All rights reserved. Used with permission of HarperCollins Publishers. Words to Live By: A Guide for the Merely Christian. Copyright © 2007 by C. S. Lewis Pte. Ltd. All rights reserved. Used with permission of HarperCollins Publishers.

isn't it amazing...
If you want to get warm you must stand near the fire: if you want to be wet you must get into the water. If you want joy, power, peace, eternal life, you must get close to, or even into, the thing that has them.
well, I want to abide in him, so I must come close to ...
This thought is precious,'musicalpilgrim'Thankyou for sharing here about 'abiding in Christ'. 'He is nearer than hands and feet'. He is not only with us but in us. What sweet communion!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

musicalpilgrim

pilgrim on the sacred music pathway
Angels Team
Site Supporter
Jan 11, 2012
East of Manchester
✟2,622,609.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
I found a quote from Brother Lawrence in a book I am reading (The Vine Life by Colleen Townsend Evans) on John 15.
Brother Lawrence would endeavour 'to walk in his presence'
First applying himself to prayer, Brother Lawrence would go to the kitchen to begin his duties at the appointed time praying, 'O my God, since thou art with me, and I must now, in obedience to Thy commands, apply my mind to these outward things, I beseech Thee to grant me the grace to continue in Thy presence, and to this end do Thou prosper me with Thy assistance....'

Now I understand more, he asked for God's assistance...so that is how he did it...by God's enabling...
So Brother Lawrence
'in the noise and clatter of the kitchen, while several persons are at the same time calling for different things, I posses God in a great tranquillity as if I were on my knees at the blessed sacrement.'

To abide in the presence of God amidst all the kitchen clatter...

Lord I pray that you will grant me too, the grace to continue to abide in you without interuption, as I deal with the frustrations of daily life.

Upvote 0

quietbloke

Brother in Christ
Site Supporter
Jun 30, 2006
England
✟807,383.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
I found a quote from Brother Lawrence in a book I am reading (The Vine Life by Colleen Townsend Evans) on John 15.
Brother Lawrence would endeavour 'to walk in his presence'
First applying himself to prayer, Brother Lawrence would go to the kitchen to begin his duties at the appointed time praying, 'O my God, since thou art with me, and I must now, in obedience to Thy commands, apply my mind to these outward things, I beseech Thee to grant me the grace to continue in Thy presence, and to this end do Thou prosper me with Thy assistance....'

Now I understand more, he asked for God's assistance...so that is how he did it...by God's enabling...
So Brother Lawrence
'in the noise and clatter of the kitchen, while several persons are at the same time calling for different things, I posses God in a great tranquillity as if I were on my knees at the blessed sacrement.'

To abide in the presence of God amidst all the kitchen clatter...

Lord I pray that you will grant me too, the grace to continue to abide in you without interuption, as I deal with the frustrations of daily life.
I love this story from Brother Lawrance and the thought that 'even among the 'pots and pans' we can enjoy the presence of God. Abiding in Him and He in us'. Thankyou 'musicalpilgrim'

Upvote 0