Principal fired for showing Michelangelo's David in class about renaissance art.

Goonie

Not so Mystic Mog.
Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2015
UK
✟1,147,798.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟324,290.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0

Goonie

Not so Mystic Mog.
Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2015
UK
✟1,147,798.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
How do you know the principle was fired for showing art?
Fair question, and the article does make clear it is the principals belief that this was the case. The governor's have not refuted this belief on being asked, so its not unreasonable to think it so.

Upvote 0

Goonie

Not so Mystic Mog.
Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2015
UK
✟1,147,798.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0

Whyayeman

Dec 8, 2018
Worcestershire
✟161,315.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
How do you know the principle was fired for showing art?
If it was some other reason - why so coy about it?

Stupid laws like this one will always throw up idiotic decisions. Shakepeare's Romeo and Juliet; innumerable portraits of the Virgin Mary breast-feeding (a popular Renaissance subject), the Venus de Milo, the Discobolus of Myron - all unsuitable for sixth formers?

Upvote 0

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟324,290.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
If it was some other reason - why so coy about it?

Stupid laws like this one will always throw up idiotic decisions. Shakepeare's Romeo and Juliet; innumerable portraits of the Virgin Mary breast-feeding (a popular Renaissance subject), the Venus de Milo, the Discobolus of Myron - all unsuitable for sixth formers?

The only one being coy about it is the writer of the article. They write a false headline hoping to get a reaction out of people who aren't going to read the article. And it worked. And far too many people fall for it.

All that aside, if I had an eleven year old daughter and some teacher showed David to her I would probably recommend they stick with the Mona Lisa. But google the fate of Mark Twain among grade school literary classes.

Reactions: BPPLEE
Upvote 0

Whyayeman

Dec 8, 2018
Worcestershire
✟161,315.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
-​

She was teaching a lesson on Renaissance art. Ok but what was she doing, was she using Renaissance art to promote some current political belief, or was she simply teaching renaissance art history...
I saw nothing to suggest a hidden agenda. (MSM appear to have deleted the story.)

From the Independent:
Two of the three parents who complained about the Renaissance art lesson said they wished they'd been notified before it was taught. The third parent complained the lesson was p*rnographic, despite being taught to 11 and 12-year-olds who almost certainly have phones and access to fullness of the internet's depravities.

Michelangelo's work is sensuous stuff. If his David is p*rnographic his Pieta is too. As for the Sistine Chapel - never take your little darlings there! Too many bare bottoms...

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: RDKirk
Upvote 0

Whyayeman

Dec 8, 2018
Worcestershire
✟161,315.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
All that aside, if I had an eleven year old daughter and some teacher showed David to her I would probably recommend they stick with the Mona Lisa. But google the fate of Mark Twain among grade school literary classes.
Why?

Upvote 0

d taylor

Oct 16, 2018
Mississippi
✟250,702.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
I saw nothing to suggest a hidden agenda. (MSM appear to have deleted the story.)

From the Independent:
Two of the three parents who complained about the Renaissance art lesson said they wished they'd been notified before it was taught. The third parent complained the lesson was p*rnographic, despite being taught to 11 and 12-year-olds who almost certainly have phones and access to fullness of the internet's depravities.

Michelangelo's work is sensuous stuff. If his David is p*rnographic his Pieta is too. As for the Sistine Chapel - never take your little darlings there! Too many bare bottoms...
-

I have drawn in more nude figure drawing groups than i can remember. So i understand in relation of art and the depiction of the nude. But school classes in today's american political environment, often have a political agenda especially in public schools.

But to many parents (depending on their beliefs) will have that belief about art, even well established works of art. They really could care less about what Michelangelo did, classical art in many of American families has no value. American's citizens just are not exposed to classical art in many cases, most are limited to larger cities were museums may house classical works. America is lacking in much aesthetic learning.

• Agree
Reactions: RDKirk
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟324,290.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Why? Why what? Why would I not recommend showing David to an eleven year old girl? For the same reason I wouldn't want a man exposing himself to an eleven year old girl. It is harmful to her, she is confused by it, and she should be allowed to be a child during her childhood without the intrusion of adult matter.

Upvote 0

comana

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Jan 19, 2005
Colorado
✟906,882.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Why? Why what? Why would I not recommend showing David to an eleven year old girl? For the same reason I wouldn't want a man exposing himself to an eleven year old girl. It is harmful to her, she is confused by it, and she should be allowed to be a child during her childhood without the intrusion of adult matter.
You of course parent as you see fit, but I would give an eleven year old more credit. Nudity in a non sexual co should be able to be viewed without harm. Marble nudes are hardly titillating.

Upvote 0

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟324,290.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
You of course parent as you see fit, but I would give an eleven year old more credit. Nudity in a non sexual co should be able to be viewed without harm. Marble nudes are hardly titillating.

And I will parent as I see fit. But the State shouldn't be making those decisions in the place of the parents.

Upvote 0

comana

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Jan 19, 2005
Colorado
✟906,882.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
And I will parent as I see fit. But the State shouldn't be making those decisions in the place of the parents.
I guess, but it gets tough to cater to the minority of parents when most wouldn’t think anything of it.

Upvote 0

Brihaha

May 6, 2021
Virginia
✟151,162.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
It seems like the parents are the confused ones these days. Driven by impulsive fear about everything. Why are Americans so uptight about natural nudity, especially depicted in renowned artwork? I can allow that school officials should inform parents and allow their children to be excluded. Those excluded kids will likely feel marginalized by their parents overprotective reactions. But the emotions of parents often supercede the needs of their children.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟827,582.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
The superintendent says it's not about the kids 'David', but it does involve (among other undescribed things) the failure of the principal to send a letter to the parents warning them about their children viewing David (as they had done last year). To me, the requirement to warn the parents is plenty absurd enough.

Upvote 0

Bradskii

Can you tell a green field from a cold steel rail?
Aug 19, 2018
Bondi
✟253,170.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
But to many parents (depending on their beliefs) will have that belief about art, even well established works of art. They really could care less about what Michelangelo did, classical art in many of American families has no value. American's citizens just are not exposed to classical art in many cases, most are limited to larger cities were museums may house classical works. America is lacking in much aesthetic learning.
All the more reason to to teach children about it.

Reactions: john23237
Upvote 0

DaisyDay

I Did Nothing Wrong!! ~~Team Deep State
Jan 7, 2003
Finger Lakes
✟11,287.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The only one being coy about it is the writer of the article. They write a false headline hoping to get a reaction out of people who aren't going to read the article. And it worked. And far too many people fall for it.

Headline writing is a specialty - don't blame the article's author for it.

Upvote 0