United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Forgive me.

I think this is the first time I've ever copy/pasted from a Wiki. But I just found this. What do you think? It sums it up pretty good for me...

A Wiki said:
Prima scriptura is the Christian doctrine that canonized scripture is "first" or "above all" other sources of divine revelation. Implicitly, this view acknowledges that, besides canonical scripture, there are other guides for what a believer should believe and how he should live, such as the created order, traditions, charismatic gifts, mysticalinsight, angelic visitations, conscience, common sense, the views of experts, the spirit of the times or something else. Prima scriptura suggests that ways of knowing or understanding God and his will that do not originate from canonized scripture are perhaps helpful in interpreting that scripture, but testable by the canon and correctable by it, if they seem to contradict the scriptures.

Alicia Schout

Aug 17, 2017
Netherlands
✟52,769.00
Country
Netherlands
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Forgive me.

I think this is the first time I've ever copy/pasted from a Wiki. But I just found this. What do you think? It sums it up pretty good for me...
Please let us stay at what the Holy Bible says.
Everything outside the Holy Bible is man's work.
The Holy Bible and guided by the Holy Spirit is my path.

Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟585,752.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
We need how God has us living His word. How God in us works is the correct meaning >

"for it is God who works in you both to will and to do for His good pleasure." (Philippians 2:13)

Especially important is the love meaning which we can get through any scripture :) And God's meaning can be deeper than words. Love has deeper-than-words communication > I can see this, through Romans 8:26.

Also, our Apostle Paul says we are "an epistle of Christ", in 2 Corinthians 3:1-3. This is not only on paper, but in our hearts. So, if we are the Holy Spirit's epistle, we are Canon Scripture, I consider . . . the living meaning of God's word . . . His examples who help one another.

Upvote 0

Noxot

anarchist personalist
Site Supporter
Aug 6, 2007
dallas, texas
Visit site
✟231,339.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
for babes it is a good rule but the mature make scriptures if called by God. people are more fundamental than the things they write. God is more fundamental than the few things he said.

there is no division in God, it is the carnal man that makes sects. many humans in this world are authoritarians and so accept truth via the methods of caesar. the Spirit found creative ways to function within the confines of what mankind is willing to play in. the kingdom only comes when both God and man are both willing.

scriptures are very good because they are one of the best methods of preserving other peoples divine revelations but only God can make us know himself. so the carnal man must be reached in his prison. what a loss we would have had if the disciples did not write the gospels down.

Jesus apparently found no need to write anything down, which was always a bit perplexing. but the symbol makes sense to me now.

Last edited:
Reactions: Alicia Schout
Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟585,752.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
so the carnal man must be reached in his prison.
There is indeed the issue of how well one understands the scriptures, whether one says only scriptures or scriptures plus help. Our own character can have a lot to do with how well we understand God's word.

Reactions: Christie insb
Upvote 0

Noxot

anarchist personalist
Site Supporter
Aug 6, 2007
dallas, texas
Visit site
✟231,339.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
There is indeed the issue of how well one understands the scriptures, whether one says only scriptures or scriptures plus help. Our own character can have a lot to do with how well we understand God's word.

it does seem more about accepting Gods grace and also being something proper in order to give God a good reply.

Luke 19:37-40 (YLT)
and as he is coming nigh now, at the descent of the mount of the Olives, the whole multitude of the disciples began rejoicing to praise God with a great voice for all the mighty works they had seen, saying, `blessed is he who is coming, a king in the name of the Lord; peace in heaven, and glory in the highest.' And certain of the Pharisees from the multitude said unto him, `Teacher, rebuke thy disciples;' and he answering said to them, `I say to you, that, if these shall be silent, the stones will cry out!'

• Agree
Reactions: Alicia Schout
Upvote 0

SummaScriptura

Forever Newbie
May 30, 2007
Scam Francisco
Visit site
✟49,219.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
I have two foundational hermeneutics toward the world of space an time in which we live:

1. ALL truth is God's truth
2. Prima Scriptura

It might seem 2 should be first but practically we all have to begin with the first one to get to the second.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Alicia Schout

Aug 17, 2017
Netherlands
✟52,769.00
Country
Netherlands
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I have two foundational hermeneutics toward the world of space an time in which we live:

1. ALL truth is God's truth
2. Prima Scriptura

It might seem 2 should be first but practically we all have to begin with the first one to get to the second.
Remember, it's the Holy Spirit that reveals God word to us. So the more we are empowered by the Holy Spirit, we will understand his word.
Also God has given some the gift of the Holy Spirit to prophecy, some to teach, preach, to have the spirit of wisdow, of knowledge, some to discern the spirits, some to speak in tongues. All these gifts is for our edifying. So we need one another, not to dispute but to learn from one another.
For the book of Timothy warns us not to have any dispute over the word, because God in His own time will make it known to us. Some of us will see the interpretation of a passage of the scripture not in the same manner. But we must bear with one another and God himself will reveal the answer to us.

Upvote 0

Ignatius the Kiwi

Dissident
Mar 2, 2013
✟290,134.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I don't mind this definition of Prima Scriptura since it seems to recognise there are times when we must listen to voices other than our own concerning the scripture. That's the biggest problem with sola scriptura, the individual is the king of interpretation regarding the bible and their will cannot be thwarted or submitted to anyone or any other thing.

Please let us stay at what the Holy Bible says.
Everything outside the Holy Bible is man's work.
The Holy Bible and guided by the Holy Spirit is my path.

The bold text is not biblical and therefore man's work, which cannot be trusted.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Alicia Schout

Aug 17, 2017
Netherlands
✟52,769.00
Country
Netherlands
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I don't mind this definition of Prima Scriptura since it seems to recognise there are times when we must listen to voices other than our own concerning the scripture. That's the biggest problem with sola scriptura, the individual is the king of interpretation regarding the bible and their will cannot be thwarted or submitted to anyone or any other thing.

The bold text is not biblical and therefore man's work, which cannot be trusted.
Unless a man is guided by the Holy Spirit he cannot understand God's word. It's sharper than a two-edged sword.

Upvote 0