Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
What is the difference between Prima Scriptura and Sola Scriptura?
Depends on what they mean by each of those terms. Not all of the people who say they follow those things even agree with each other on what they think they mean.

Upvote 0

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟721,719.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
What is the difference between Prima Scriptura and Sola Scriptura?

Prima Scriptura

Among the sources available to followers of Jesus today for guidance on questions of faith and practice, Scripture stands in primacy of place, being supplemented by creeds, the Traditions of the Church, experience, and plain (human) reason.

Prims Scriptura - allows for creeds & tradition(s) .... Sola scriptura does not ... it is the Bible and Bible only.

Colossians 2:8
See to it that no one takes you captive by philosophy and empty deceit, according to human tradition, according to the elemental spirits of the world, and not according to Christ.

If the tradition is taught in His word then fine .... outside of that ... no ... and that is Sola scriptura

Upvote 0

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

BBAS 64

Contributor
Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
New England
✟512,371.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Prims Scriptura - allows for creeds & tradition(s) .... Sola scriptura does not ... it is the Bible and Bible only.

That is totally incorrect, because the Reformers who declared Sola Scriptura did in fact have creeds and catechisms.

Prima Scriptura is a new term, and I don't think it adds anything useful to the debate.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
both mean different things to different people, and they all think they are right.
Exactly the same way that terms such as Baptism, Hell, Transubstantiation, "the Church," and Apostolic do.

Are we all agreed, then, that none of these actually has any particular meaning?

• Agree
Reactions: Athanasius377
Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,237,462.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Exactly the same way that terms such as Baptism, Hell, Transubstantiation, "the Church," and Apostolic do.

Are we all agreed, then, that none of these actually has any particular meaning?
Take a poll right here about what Protestants mean by Sola Scriptura and you will get a variety of answers even from knowlegable folks. Ask a knowlegable Catholic about anything on your list above and the definitions will be relatively tight.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Take a poll right here about what Protestants mean by Sola Scriptura and you will get a variety of answers even from knowlegable folks. Ask a knowlegable Catholic about anything on your list above and the definitions will be relatively tight.

Take a poll right here about what Catholics mean about anything on the list above and you will get answers all over the shop even from knowledgeable folks. Ask a knowledgeable Protestant about Sola Scriptura and the definition will be tight.

... but that isn't germane to the point that @Albion was making.

• Agree
Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Take a poll right here about what Protestants mean by Sola Scriptura and you will get a variety of answers even from knowlegable folks.
The fact is that if we simply ask Protestants--or Catholics--to define the meaning of all sorts of doctrines, we will get the variety of answers you are referring to.

However, all of us here should be able to agree that it's ridiculous to talk as though none of those terms has a definite meaning, but rather that each of them means whatever each individual thinks they mean. :doh:

• Agree
Reactions: Radagast
Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,237,462.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Take a poll right here about what Catholics mean about anything on the list above and you will get answers all over the shop even from knowledgeable folks. Ask a knowledgeable Protestant about Sola Scriptura and the definition will be tight.
Whatever. I just don't believe it. Particularly not the tight definitions of Sola Scriptura.

• Winner
Reactions: RushMAN
Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,237,462.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
However, all of us here should be able to agree that it's ridiculous to talk as though none of those terms has a definite meaning, but rather that each of them means whatever each individual thinks they mean. :doh:
OK. So until there is an agreement on what Sola Scriptura means, how can it be at all meaningful to compare and contrast Sola Scriptura with this neologism called Prima Scriptura? I'd enjoy reading it. I'm just wondering how it's possible for you guys to do the compare and contrast.

• Agree
Reactions: RushMAN
Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Particularly not the tight definitions of Sola Scriptura.

Sola Scriptura is a Reformation doctrine. All knowledgeable Protestants will give you the Reformation definition.

• Agree
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,237,462.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Sola Scriptura is a Reformation doctrine. All knowledgeable Protestants will give you the Reformation definition.
THE Reformation definition or one of many definitions that are floating around out there? You have already disagreed with one Protestant in this very thread on the definition of Sola Scriptura. It would be good if you could all agree. Then we might learn something about the differences and similarities between Sola Scriptura and Prima Scriptura. I'm holding my breath. Actually not holding my breath, but wishing there was an actually agreed upon definition that you all actually held in common.

Upvote 0

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟721,719.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
That is totally incorrect, because the Reformers who declared Sola Scriptura did in fact have creeds and catechisms.

Prima Scriptura is a new term, and I don't think it adds anything useful to the debate.

Doctrine and dogma are the same as a creed, (they are actually all synonyms for one another -different words with the same meanings-

Doctrine (teachings) and there are many.

No doubt the Bible has an very extensive history .... people can do their own research on the matter ... very extensive.

Sola scriptura is a simple phrase. But contained in it, are three critical truths: the Bible is the supreme authority, sufficient, and clear. All three are essential to the life of God’s people.

Perhaps not but it is the OP in this thread by the poster.

Throughout history and onward the Lord reveals more light as time passes.

Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Sola scriptura is a simple phrase. But contained in it, are three critical truths: the Bible is the supreme authority, sufficient, and clear. All three are essential to the life of God’s people.

Exactly. We may still have creeds, confessions, and catechisms, but they must be grounded in the Bible, and subordinate to it.

... which is why I think that "Prima Scriptura" is a pointless phrase that simply muddies the waters and confuses people about what Sola Scriptura means.

• Agree
Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
THE Reformation definition or one of many definitions that are floating around out there? You have already disagreed with one Protestant in this very thread on the definition of Sola Scriptura. It would be good if you could all agree. Then we might learn something about the differences and similarities between Sola Scriptura and Prima Scriptura. I'm holding my breath. Actually not holding my breath, but wishing there was an actually agreed upon definition that you all actually held in common.
Once again, there is a definition for Sola Scriptura, no matter how many people don't know it--just as there is a definition for Transubstantiation even though most people, including most Catholics don't know it.

The issue here is the meaning, not the number of people who aren't well-versed in theology.

Upvote 0

concretecamper

Member of His Church
Nov 23, 2013
PA
✟274,987.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
you may think that the way the Baptist teach SS doent have any meaning. But your thought highlights that everyone thinks they are right.

I couldnt have made it any clearer than your post did. Thank you

Upvote 0