Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
If man were examined in the light of science, he makes no sense whatsoever.

But in the light of the bible, as a creature created to do exactly as he does, man makes perfect sense.

And this isn't going to change anytime soon. :kiss:

chaoschristian

Dec 22, 2005
✟9,379.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
oldwiseguy said:

But in the light of the bible, as a creature created to do exactly as he does, man makes perfect sense.

If I recall correctly scripture indicates that we were created to be in relationship with God and to be the stewards of His Creation.

What does our physiology (assuming that's what your talking about) have to do with our divine purpose?

Upvote 0

Late_Cretaceous

<font color="#880000" ></font&g
Apr 4, 2002
Visit site
✟18,025.00
Faith
Catholic
YOu seem to think that describing man in terms of the material (as opposed to the miraculous) somehow degrades us. Yet our bodies are made of molecules, and even our thoughts and emtions of electrical impulses in our brains. For many people saying stuff like that is tantamount to blasphemy. Anaxamander was banned from Athens for stating that the sun was a material object for similar reasons.

Other people, however, recognize that since God created the material world any thing that happens in it is devine. there is no separation between the two.

Upvote 0

Dannager

Back in Town
May 5, 2005
✟11,819.00
Faith
Catholic
Politics
US-Democrat
oldwiseguy said:

Argument from personal sense? Is this what you're reduced to?

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Mallon said:
What do you mean by this?

Man is an unfit organism on planet earth. His best efforts are destroying the earth as well as himself. And of this he is constant denial.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
chaoschristian said:
If I recall correctly scripture indicates that we were created to be in relationship with God and to be the stewards of His Creation.

What does our physiology (assuming that's what your talking about) have to do with our divine purpose?

God created most of mankind as 'vessels of dishonor', and they are acting accordingly. Just look around.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Late_Cretaceous said:
YOu seem to think that describing man in terms of the material (as opposed to the miraculous) somehow degrades us. Yet our bodies are made of molecules, and even our thoughts and emtions of electrical impulses in our brains. For many people saying stuff like that is tantamount to blasphemy. Anaxamander was banned from Athens for stating that the sun was a material object for similar reasons.

Other people, however, recognize that since God created the material world any thing that happens in it is devine. there is no separation between the two.

What I mean is that as an organism on planet earth, we are a screwed up mess.

And from a biblical history point of view we are doing everything that God said we would do. And we are a screwed up mess in that regard as well.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Dannager said:
Argument from personal sense? Is this what you're reduced to?

Not at all. For example when I drive on the interstate I am virtually the only one going the speed limit. Everyone else, christians included, are speeding. I know I'm different in this, but has that reduced me to something?

Upvote 0

Assyrian

Basically pulling an Obama (Thanks Calminian!)
Mar 31, 2006
Wales
✟27,286.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
oldwiseguy said:
Prima face creation, or evolution?

It is not a question of creationism versus evolution but creation versus materialism. How God created man is not the issue, but that he did make us in his image using whatever means he saw fit. It is materialism that denies the spiritual dimension in man, the science of evolution simply makes no comment.

Assyrian

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Assyrian said:
It is not a question of creationism versus evolution but creation versus materialism. How God created man is not the issue, but that he did make us in his image using whatever means he saw fit. It is materialism that denies the spiritual dimension in man, the science of evolution simply makes no comment.

Assyrian

What I'm saying is that no matter your point of view, man is screwed up.

Evolution has produced an unfit organism, or, God has created an organism that has become unfit. Samesame.

Upvote 0

random_guy

Senior Veteran
Jan 30, 2005
✟3,457.00
Faith
Christian
oldwiseguy said:
What I'm saying is that no matter your point of view, man is screwed up.

Evolution has produced an unfit organism, or, God has created an organism that has become unfit. Samesame.

There's nothing in evolutionary theory that says it can't produce an unfit organism. It'll cull itself out eventually. It just happens that if it comes to that, only cockroaches will be left. I think the problem is you keep thinking that evolution has a purpose or is purposeless. Evolution is purposefull or purposeless as gravity. It's description of what we observe.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
random_guy said:
There's nothing in evolutionary theory that says it can't produce an unfit organism. It'll cull itself out eventually. It just happens that if it comes to that, only cockroaches will be left. I think the problem is you keep thinking that evolution has a purpose or is purposeless. Evolution is purposefull or purposeless as gravity. It's description of what we observe.

I agree somewhat. But I wonder if all those evolved folks would agree that they are indeed an unfit organism?

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Assyrian said:
Not 'fearfully and wonderfully made'?

Ironic isn't it? A creature so perfectly formed, that doesn't know enough to come in out of the rain. Tsk tsk.

Upvote 0

Willtor

Not just any Willtor... The Mighty Willtor
Apr 23, 2005
Cambridge
Visit site
✟32,287.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
oldwiseguy said:
I agree somewhat. But I wonder if all those evolved folks would agree that they are indeed an unfit organism?

I must have missed it, but how exactly are we not fit?

Upvote 0

Dannager

Back in Town
May 5, 2005
✟11,819.00
Faith
Catholic
Politics
US-Democrat
oldwiseguy said:
Not at all. For example when I drive on the interstate I am virtually the only one going the speed limit. Everyone else, christians included, are speeding. I know I'm different in this, but has that reduced me to something?
Not as long as you have something besides "This makes sense to me because!" to support it. For instance, your spedometer and the speed limit signs gracing the side of the road support your claim. However, if you have no spedometer and the road lacks speed limit signs, there's no way of telling who is traveling within the speed limit.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.