United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
I guess the Mormons have zero evidence.
The absence of a response does not indicate a response of absent evidence.

That said, I wish I could see how the LDS grapple with the ECF. For example, do they dismiss the Fathers simply as corrupt Catholics or do they try to show how they are in accord with the ECF.

I'll wait for a while to see if anyone bites on your original post.

Upvote 0

Gifts From Above

Oct 23, 2020
Washington
✟8,217.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
The absence of a response does not indicate a response of absent evidence.

That said, I wish I could see how the LDS grapple with the ECF. For example, do they dismiss the Fathers simply as corrupt Catholics or do they try to show how they are in accord with the ECF.

I'll wait for a while to see if anyone bites on your original post.

Since many of the ECF were disciples of the original apostles I can hardly see how one could say that they were corrupt. They had the faith handed down to them in it’s original form.

The LDS will probably handle this the same way they do the other threads that refute their beliefs and that is by believing in fables and making stuff up that suits their agenda.

• Friendly
Reactions: Daniel Marsh
Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,236,760.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Since many of the ECF were disciples of the original apostles I can hardly see how one could say that they were corrupt. They had the faith handed down to them in it’s original form.
Yes indeed. The LDS do consider that the Church went off the rails at an exceptionally early date. They might thus have to reject the ECF. I donno.
The LDS will probably handle this the same way they do the other threads that refute their beliefs and that is by believing in fables and making stuff up that suits their agenda.
But so far ... silence.

• Optimistic
Upvote 0

Gifts From Above

Oct 23, 2020
Washington
✟8,217.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Yes indeed. The LDS do consider that the Church went off the rails at an exceptionally early date. They might thus have to reject the ECF. I donno.

How soon do they believe that the church defected? Surely it endured for the first few centuries?

• Winner
Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,236,760.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
How soon do they believe that the church defected? Surely it endured for the first few centuries?
I thought that they thought it was basically sunk by the death of John the apostle somewhere around 100 AD. But if they want to clarify that I'm willing to hear it.

• Friendly
Upvote 0

He is the way

Apr 17, 2018
Murray
✟113,072.00
Country
United States
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
I thought that they thought it was basically sunk by the death of John the apostle somewhere around 100 AD. But if they want to clarify that I'm willing to hear it.
We believe Paul when he said:

(New Testament | Acts 20:28 - 31)

28 ¶ Take heed therefore unto yourselves, and to all the flock, over the which the Holy Ghost hath made you overseers, to feed the church of God, which he hath purchased with his own blood.
29 For I know this, that after my departing shall grievous wolves enter in among you, not sparing the flock.
30 Also of your own selves shall men arise, speaking perverse things, to draw away disciples after them.
31 Therefore watch, and remember, that by the space of three years I ceased not to warn every one night and day with tears.

• Winner
Upvote 0

Gifts From Above

Oct 23, 2020
Washington
✟8,217.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
We believe Paul when he said:

28 ¶ Take heed therefore unto yourselves, and to all the flock, over the which the Holy Ghost hath made you overseers, to feed the church of God, which he hath purchased with his own blood.
29 For I know this, that after my departing shall grievous wolves enter in among you, not sparing the flock.
30 Also of your own selves shall men arise, speaking perverse things, to draw away disciples after them.
31 Therefore watch, and remember, that by the space of three years I ceased not to warn every one night and day with tears.

That doesn’t answer the question.

Are the writings of the ECF reliable?

And can you provide any evidence from their writings for the doctrine of the LDS Priesthoods?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

He is the way

Apr 17, 2018
Murray
✟113,072.00
Country
United States
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
That doesn’t answer the question.

Are the writings of the ECF reliable?

And can you provide any evidence from their writings for the doctrine of the LDS Priesthoods?
You have been given the evidence, but you refuse to believe it.

• Friendly
Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,236,760.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
You have been given the evidence, but you refuse to believe it.
So you don't accept anything from the ECF? Is that Mormon policy, or just yours?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,236,760.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
According to Paul they were the leaders shortly after him.
Since you did not specify which of the early Church Fathers you thought were "speaking perverse things to lead the disciples away" am I accurate in assuming you would mean ALL of the early Church Fathers in that?

Upvote 0

He is the way

Apr 17, 2018
Murray
✟113,072.00
Country
United States
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
Since you did not specify which of the early Church Fathers you thought were "speaking perverse things to lead the disciples away" am I accurate in assuming you would mean ALL of the early Church Fathers in that?
No. That is not what I said. And no I don't know which ones.

• Friendly
Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,236,760.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
No. That is not what I said. And no I don't know which ones.
OK. The topic of this thread is about the LDS priesthoods and whether they are found in the ECF. Do you have any information on that?

• Friendly
Upvote 0

He is the way

Apr 17, 2018
Murray
✟113,072.00
Country
United States
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
OK. The topic of this thread is about the LDS priesthoods and whether they are found in the ECF. Do you have any information on that?
Only what Paul said about them:

• Winner
Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,236,760.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Only what Paul said about them:

So you have nothing at all specific about any of the early Church Fathers. They sort of don't exist for you.

Don't think that singles you out. Most Protestants don't have a clue about them. Functionally, for them Christianity went from the apostles straight to their current congregation in about two seconds, MAYBE stopping at the Refomation or maybe not.

• Winner
Upvote 0