Murray
✟113,072.00
Country
United States
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
The LDS Priesthoods are not found anywhere in scripture or church history. This is a strange doctrine indeed.
Are you asking about priests, high priests, deacons, bishops, apostles, teachers elders, and prophets? All of these are mentioned in the Bible.

Upvote 0

Gifts From Above

Oct 23, 2020
Washington
✟8,217.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Are you asking about priests, high priests, deacons, bishops, apostles, teachers elders, and prophets? All of these are mentioned in the Bible.

No, I’m talking about the Aaronic and Melchizedek Priesthoods which are found nowhere in the New Testament scriptures or early church history.

Upvote 0

He is the way

Apr 17, 2018
Murray
✟113,072.00
Country
United States
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
No, I’m talking about the Aaronic and Melchizedek Priesthoods which are found nowhere in the New Testament scriptures or early church history.
(New Testament | Hebrews 7:11 - 17)

11 If therefore perfection were by the Levitical priesthood, (for under it the people received the law,) what further need was there that another priest should rise after the order of Melchisedec, and not be called after the order of Aaron?
12 For the priesthood being changed, there is made of necessity a change also of the law.
13 For he of whom these things are spoken pertaineth to another tribe, of which no man gave attendance at the altar.
14 For it is evident that our Lord sprang out of Juda; of which tribe Moses spake nothing concerning priesthood.
15 And it is yet far more evident: for that after the similitude of Melchisedec there ariseth another priest,
16 Who is made, not after the law of a carnal commandment, but after the power of an endless life.
17 For he testifieth, Thou art a priest for ever after the order of Melchisedec.

(New Testament | Hebrews 6:20)

20 Whither the forerunner is for us entered, even Jesus, made an high priest for ever after the order of Melchisedec.

Upvote 0

Gifts From Above

Oct 23, 2020
Washington
✟8,217.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
(New Testament | Hebrews 7:11 - 17)

11 If therefore perfection were by the Levitical priesthood, (for under it the people received the law,) what further need was there that another priest should rise after the order of Melchisedec, and not be called after the order of Aaron?
12 For the priesthood being changed, there is made of necessity a change also of the law.
13 For he of whom these things are spoken pertaineth to another tribe, of which no man gave attendance at the altar.
14 For it is evident that our Lord sprang out of Juda; of which tribe Moses spake nothing concerning priesthood.
15 And it is yet far more evident: for that after the similitude of Melchisedec there ariseth another priest,
16 Who is made, not after the law of a carnal commandment, but after the power of an endless life.
17 For he testifieth, Thou art a priest for ever after the order of Melchisedec.

(New Testament | Hebrews 6:20)

20 Whither the forerunner is for us entered, even Jesus, made an high priest for ever after the order of Melchisedec.

That passage says Christ was ordained after the order of Melchizedek it speaks nothing concerning members of the Church being ordained.

Upvote 0

He is the way

Apr 17, 2018
Murray
✟113,072.00
Country
United States
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
That passage says Christ was ordained after the order of Melchizedek it speaks nothing concerning members of the Church being ordained.
There were high priests even in the Old Testament:

(Old Testament | 2 Kings 22:4)

4 Go up to Hilkiah the high priest, that he may sum the silver which is brought into the house of the LORD, which the keepers of the door have gathered of the people:

(Old Testament | Nehemiah 3:1)

1 THEN Eliashib the high priest rose up with his brethren the priests, and they builded the sheep gate; they sanctified it, and set up the doors of it; even unto the tower of Meah they sanctified it, unto the tower of Hananeel.

Jesus was not the only high priest in the New Testament:

(New Testament | Matthew 26:57)

57 ¶ And they that had laid hold on Jesus led him away to Caiaphas the high priest, where the scribes and the elders were assembled.

These high priests must have been ordained to their office:

(New Testament | Hebrews 8:3)

3 For every high priest is ordained to offer gifts and sacrifices: wherefore it is of necessity that this man have somewhat also to offer.

Upvote 0

Gifts From Above

Oct 23, 2020
Washington
✟8,217.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
There were high priests even in the Old Testament:

(Old Testament | 2 Kings 22:4)

4 Go up to Hilkiah the high priest, that he may sum the silver which is brought into the house of the LORD, which the keepers of the door have gathered of the people:

(Old Testament | Nehemiah 3:1)

1 THEN Eliashib the high priest rose up with his brethren the priests, and they builded the sheep gate; they sanctified it, and set up the doors of it; even unto the tower of Meah they sanctified it, unto the tower of Hananeel.

Jesus was not the only high priest in the New Testament:

(New Testament | Matthew 26:57)

57 ¶ And they that had laid hold on Jesus led him away to Caiaphas the high priest, where the scribes and the elders were assembled.

These high priests must have been ordained to their office:

(New Testament | Hebrews 8:3)

3 For every high priest is ordained to offer gifts and sacrifices: wherefore it is of necessity that this man have somewhat also to offer.

There is no indication whatsoever that the Priesthood continued into the early church.

Can you show any evidence whatsoever to support your theory?

Upvote 0

He is the way

Apr 17, 2018
Murray
✟113,072.00
Country
United States
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
There is no indication whatsoever that the Priesthood continued into the early church.

Can you show any evidence whatsoever to support your theory?
Are you talking about the early church at the time of Jesus Christ or before that?

Upvote 0

Gifts From Above

Oct 23, 2020
Washington
✟8,217.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Are you talking about the early church at the time of Jesus Christ or before that?

There was no Church before Jesus Christ.

I’m talking about the early church which was founded in the first few centuries.

I’m asking you what evidence can you provide that the early church had a Priesthood?

Upvote 0

He is the way

Apr 17, 2018
Murray
✟113,072.00
Country
United States
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
There was no Church before Jesus Christ.

I’m talking about the early church which was founded in the first few centuries.

I’m asking you what evidence can you provide that the early church had a Priesthood?
You said: "There was no Church before Jesus Christ."

That is debatable. There were certainly prophets and synagogues where people worshiped before Jesus Christ:

(New Testament | Matthew 4:23)

23 ¶ And Jesus went about all Galilee, teaching in their synagogues, and preaching the gospel of the kingdom, and healing all manner of sickness and all manner of disease among the people.

You said: "I’m talking about the early church which was founded in the first few centuries."

Jesus taught His gospel while He was on earth. His followers were organized at that time, but it wouldn't last long:

(New Testament | Acts 20:28 - 32)

28 ¶ Take heed therefore unto yourselves, and to all the flock, over the which the Holy Ghost hath made you overseers, to feed the church of God, which he hath purchased with his own blood.
29 For I know this, that after my departing shall grievous wolves enter in among you, not sparing the flock.
30 Also of your own selves shall men arise, speaking perverse things, to draw away disciples after them.
31 Therefore watch, and remember, that by the space of three years I ceased not to warn every one night and day with tears.
32 And now, brethren, I commend you to God, and to the word of his grace, which is able to build you up, and to give you an inheritance among all them which are sanctified.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Gifts From Above

Oct 23, 2020
Washington
✟8,217.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
You said: "There was no Church before Jesus Christ."

That is debatable. There were certainly prophets and synagogues where people worshiped before Jesus Christ:

(New Testament | Matthew 4:23)

23 ¶ And Jesus went about all Galilee, teaching in their synagogues, and preaching the gospel of the kingdom, and healing all manner of sickness and all manner of disease among the people.

You said: "I’m talking about the early church which was founded in the first few centuries."

Jesus taught His gospel while He was on earth. His followers were organized at that time, but it wouldn't last long:

(New Testament | Acts 20:28 - 32)

28 ¶ Take heed therefore unto yourselves, and to all the flock, over the which the Holy Ghost hath made you overseers, to feed the church of God, which he hath purchased with his own blood.
29 For I know this, that after my departing shall grievous wolves enter in among you, not sparing the flock.
30 Also of your own selves shall men arise, speaking perverse things, to draw away disciples after them.
31 Therefore watch, and remember, that by the space of three years I ceased not to warn every one night and day with tears.
32 And now, brethren, I commend you to God, and to the word of his grace, which is able to build you up, and to give you an inheritance among all them which are sanctified.

A couple of things:

1. First off the church was started by Jesus Christ and did not exist prior to his coming. The synagogues were meetings of Jews and not the church.

2. You didn’t address my point that there is no evidence of the Priesthood in the early church.

Upvote 0

He is the way

Apr 17, 2018
Murray
✟113,072.00
Country
United States
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
A couple of things:

1. First off the church was started by Jesus Christ and did not exist prior to his coming. The synagogues were meetings of Jews and not the church.

2. You didn’t address my point that there is no evidence of the Priesthood in the early church.
If there was no church on the earth before Jesus Christ, why was the priesthood on the earth among God's chosen people?

(Old Testament | Nehemiah 13:28 - 31)

28 And one of the sons of Joiada, the son of Eliashib the high priest, was son in law to Sanballat the Horonite: therefore I chased him from me.
29 Remember them, O my God, because they have defiled the priesthood, and the covenant of the priesthood, and of the Levites.
30 Thus cleansed I them from all strangers, and appointed the wards of the priests and the Levites, every one in his business;
31 And for the wood offering, at times appointed, and for the firstfruits. Remember me, O my God, for good.

The priesthood did exist in the early church:

(New Testament | 1 Peter 2:4 - 9)

4 To whom coming, as unto a living stone, disallowed indeed of men, but chosen of God, and precious,
5 Ye also, as lively stones, are built up a spiritual house, an holy priesthood, to offer up spiritual sacrifices, acceptable to God by Jesus Christ.
6 Wherefore also it is contained in the scripture, Behold, I lay in Sion a chief corner stone, elect, precious: and he that believeth on him shall not be confounded.
7 Unto you therefore which believe he is precious: but unto them which be disobedient, the stone which the builders disallowed, the same is made the head of the corner,
8 And a stone of stumbling, and a rock of offence, even to them which stumble at the word, being disobedient: whereunto also they were appointed.
9 But ye are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, an holy nation, a peculiar people; that ye should shew forth the praises of him who hath called you out of darkness into his marvellous light:

Upvote 0

He is the way

Apr 17, 2018
Murray
✟113,072.00
Country
United States
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
(New Testament | Ephesians 4:11 - 15)

11 And he gave some, apostles; and some, prophets; and some, evangelists; and some, pastors and teachers;
12 For the perfecting of the saints, for the work of the ministry, for the edifying of the body of Christ:
13 Till we all come in the unity of the faith, and of the knowledge of the Son of God, unto a perfect man, unto the measure of the stature of the fulness of Christ:
14 That we henceforth be no more children, tossed to and fro, and carried about with every wind of doctrine, by the sleight of men, and cunning craftiness, whereby they lie in wait to deceive;
15 But speaking the truth in love, may grow up into him in all things, which is the head, even Christ:

Upvote 0

Gifts From Above

Oct 23, 2020
Washington
✟8,217.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
If there was no church on the earth before Jesus Christ, why was the priesthood on the earth among God's chosen people?

(Old Testament | Nehemiah 13:28 - 31)

28 And one of the sons of Joiada, the son of Eliashib the high priest, was son in law to Sanballat the Horonite: therefore I chased him from me.
29 Remember them, O my God, because they have defiled the priesthood, and the covenant of the priesthood, and of the Levites.
30 Thus cleansed I them from all strangers, and appointed the wards of the priests and the Levites, every one in his business;
31 And for the wood offering, at times appointed, and for the firstfruits. Remember me, O my God, for good.

The priesthood did exist in the early church:

(New Testament | 1 Peter 2:4 - 9)

4 To whom coming, as unto a living stone, disallowed indeed of men, but chosen of God, and precious,
5 Ye also, as lively stones, are built up a spiritual house, an holy priesthood, to offer up spiritual sacrifices, acceptable to God by Jesus Christ.
6 Wherefore also it is contained in the scripture, Behold, I lay in Sion a chief corner stone, elect, precious: and he that believeth on him shall not be confounded.
7 Unto you therefore which believe he is precious: but unto them which be disobedient, the stone which the builders disallowed, the same is made the head of the corner,
8 And a stone of stumbling, and a rock of offence, even to them which stumble at the word, being disobedient: whereunto also they were appointed.
9 But ye are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, an holy nation, a peculiar people; that ye should shew forth the praises of him who hath called you out of darkness into his marvellous light:

You are definitely a confused individual.

First off in the Old Testament the Priesthood that existed was Jewish.

Second to say that the church is a royal Priesthood says nothing of the existence of a Melchizedek Priesthood.

I ask you once again can you please show any evidence of your Mormon Priesthoods in early church history?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

He is the way

Apr 17, 2018
Murray
✟113,072.00
Country
United States
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
You are definitely a confused individual.

First off in the Old Testament the Priesthood that existed was Jewish.

Second to say that the church is a royal Priesthood says nothing of the existence of a Melchizedek Priesthood.

I ask you once again can you please show any evidence of your Mormon Priesthoods in early church history?
The Jewish people are God's people as are all of His children. They had the priesthood of God:

(Old Testament | Deuteronomy 7:6 - 8)

6 For thou art an holy people unto the LORD thy God: the LORD thy God hath chosen thee to be a special people unto himself, above all people that are upon the face of the earth.
7 The LORD did not set his love upon you, nor choose you, because ye were more in number than any people; for ye were the fewest of all people:
8 But because the LORD loved you, and because he would keep the oath which he had sworn unto your fathers, hath the LORD brought you out with a mighty hand, and redeemed you out of the house of bondmen, from the hand of Pharaoh king of Egypt.

The priesthood has been on the earth from Old Testament times and and was on the earth when Jesus Christ was on the earth:

"The Hebrew people since their escape from Egypt had a priesthood as commanded them by God where certain families were set apart from birth as ancestral priests (Aaron’s line) and Levites. Yet, well before this the Holy Scriptures describe a priest, a high priest called Melchizedek.

“For this Melchizedek, king of Salem, priest of the Most High God, met Abraham returning from the slaughter of kings and blessed him; and to him Abraham apportioned a tenth part of everything. He is first, by translation of his name, king of righteousness, and then he is king of Salem, that is king of peace. He is without father or mother or genealogy, and has neither beginning of days nor end of life, but resembling the Son of God he continues a priest forever.” (Heb 7:1-3)

This mysterious High Priest was a prefigurement of Jesus Christ who Himself is “priest forever according to the order of Melchizedek.” As the “priest for ever,” Jesus offers the very perfect sacrifice, the perfect offering, and that offering is himself; it’s his own body, his own blood, his own flesh and blood, which he offers “for the life of the world.” (John 6:51)."

Christ had the priesthood of God. There is a belief that Christ made His apostles priests:

"When John and Luke’s Last Supper narratives are taken together, we have a total of three details that support the conclusion that Jesus made the apostles his New Covenant ministerial priests:

• Jesus commands the apostles to “do this in remembrance of me,” which suggests they are to offer the Last Supper as a sacrifice.
  • Jesus washes their feet.
  • The apostles are said to take part in Jesus through the ritual washing.
Did Jesus make the apostles priests at the Last Supper? I think these exegetical points give us sufficient reason to answer yes."

From: Did Jesus Make the Apostles Priests at the Last Supper?

Upvote 0

Gifts From Above

Oct 23, 2020
Washington
✟8,217.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
The Jewish people are God's people as are all of His children. They had the priesthood of God:

(Old Testament | Deuteronomy 7:6 - 8)

6 For thou art an holy people unto the LORD thy God: the LORD thy God hath chosen thee to be a special people unto himself, above all people that are upon the face of the earth.
7 The LORD did not set his love upon you, nor choose you, because ye were more in number than any people; for ye were the fewest of all people:
8 But because the LORD loved you, and because he would keep the oath which he had sworn unto your fathers, hath the LORD brought you out with a mighty hand, and redeemed you out of the house of bondmen, from the hand of Pharaoh king of Egypt.

The priesthood has been on the earth from Old Testament times and and was on the earth when Jesus Christ was on the earth:

"The Hebrew people since their escape from Egypt had a priesthood as commanded them by God where certain families were set apart from birth as ancestral priests (Aaron’s line) and Levites. Yet, well before this the Holy Scriptures describe a priest, a high priest called Melchizedek.

“For this Melchizedek, king of Salem, priest of the Most High God, met Abraham returning from the slaughter of kings and blessed him; and to him Abraham apportioned a tenth part of everything. He is first, by translation of his name, king of righteousness, and then he is king of Salem, that is king of peace. He is without father or mother or genealogy, and has neither beginning of days nor end of life, but resembling the Son of God he continues a priest forever.” (Heb 7:1-3)

This mysterious High Priest was a prefigurement of Jesus Christ who Himself is “priest forever according to the order of Melchizedek.” As the “priest for ever,” Jesus offers the very perfect sacrifice, the perfect offering, and that offering is himself; it’s his own body, his own blood, his own flesh and blood, which he offers “for the life of the world.” (John 6:51)."

Christ had the priesthood of God. There is a belief that Christ made His apostles priests:

"When John and Luke’s Last Supper narratives are taken together, we have a total of three details that support the conclusion that Jesus made the apostles his New Covenant ministerial priests:

• Jesus commands the apostles to “do this in remembrance of me,” which suggests they are to offer the Last Supper as a sacrifice.
  • Jesus washes their feet.
  • The apostles are said to take part in Jesus through the ritual washing.
Did Jesus make the apostles priests at the Last Supper? I think these exegetical points give us sufficient reason to answer yes."

From: Did Jesus Make the Apostles Priests at the Last Supper?

No Jesus didn’t make the apostles priests at the last supper. There is absolutely zero evidence of that.

• Agree
Reactions: mmksparbud
Upvote 0