Priest will wash my feet, despite my being a woman

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
so jesus knew as he was washing judas feet what he was about to go and do?
Absolutely He did. Foot washing was a hospitality practice usually done by the servant(s) in the house where someone visits. It is the mark of humbly serving someone. It is also the mark of welcoming someone into your home.

Our Lord knew Judas was going to betray Him long before He ever called Judas to be a disciple.
do you happen to know why this was called the upper room? or do I have that name incorrect?
Jerusalem was a very crowded city with very narrow streets. So the only way to expand a home was to add a 2nd floor. So the house that our Lord chose to have His final Passover Seder was this kind of upper (2nd floor) addition to the main house.

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
when we look at da vinci's painting, there is a huge space seen no where else at that table at the right hand of jesus. Was Mary there, but removed?

Who was at jesus right hands side?!

View attachment 254771
Please do NOT take Da Vinci's painting as anything more than a Renaissance era Italian artist's idea of what it might have looked like. It is filled with inaccuracies.

Upvote 0

bekkilyn

Contemplative Christian
Site Supporter
Apr 27, 2017
USA
✟677,608.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Others
I don't really like people touching my feet, so foot washing isn't exactly my favorite experience, but I have participated when I have visited SDA services when they were having communion. Most men's feet aren't very pretty, so yours still might look better than theirs despite all those things you mentioned. :)

Let us know how it goes!

I believe a number of people were in the room besides just the twelve, and those people would have included women as Jesus had a large following of women and women were with him directly and/or in the vicinity on practically all occasions.

Upvote 0

MariaJLM

Crazy Cat Lady
Aug 1, 2018
Calgary
✟50,815.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
CA-Others
Please do NOT take Da Vinci's painting as anything more than a Renaissance era Italian artist's idea of what it might have looked like. It is filled with inaccuracies.

Heavily romanticized as well as Renaissance art usually was.

• Agree
Reactions: Dave-W
Upvote 0

joymercy

Site Supporter
Feb 26, 2017
study
✟250,647.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
I don't really like people touching my feet, so foot washing isn't exactly my favorite experience, but I have participated when I have visited SDA services when they were having communion. Most men's feet aren't very pretty, so yours still might look better than theirs despite all those things you mentioned. :)

Let us know how it goes!

I believe a number of people were in the room besides just the twelve, and those people would have included women as Jesus had a large following of women and women were with him directly and/or in the vicinity on practically all occasions.

It was nice to see a mix of women and men and children too. It was for those who were invited and then if anyone else was interested they could come up.

The 12 didn't include women and children, but the gesture is to represent how Christ would treat you and anyone of us with his tender love and mercy. He would humble himself, becoming a servant.

And the last supper is the first mass for us, and so the mass represents his body and blood for all.

Reactions: bekkilyn
Upvote 0