• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.

Priest will wash my feet, despite my being a woman

Discussion in 'Egalitarian Christians' started by joymercy, Apr 16, 2019 at 1:55 AM.

1. joymercy

joymercy you deserve to be loved Supporter

+699
    United States
    Christian
    Private
    No woman was one of the 12 disciples at the last supper, but this Thursday, the priests will gather for the Holy Thursday service, and I have been chosen to represent my rcia class, and to be among the 12 who will get their feet washed.

I'm told that this is something new, that the church would allow a woman to be up on the alter, among the 12.

I am honored and also so humbled, scared, nervous and weepy too.

I think I will wear a skirt to represent my gender, with footless tights and a slip on shoe.

Do you think Mary Magdalene was at the last supper? Was she a disciple too?

What do you think of this new strategy of allowing women to be represented?

Anyone else, male or female have this done and how did you feel about it?

John 13:1-17
    Having loved his own who were in the world, he loved them to the end.:heart:

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • List
    We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. Paidiske

Paidiske Clara bonam audax Staff Member Supporter Staff on LOA

+11,289
    Australia
    Anglican
    Married
    Well... none of the gospels tell us who was in the room. I mean, they give us a few names; Peter, Judas, the disciple whom Jesus loved. But they don't give us a roll call, and we don't know how many were there, or who they all were.

I've been on both sides of the liturgy; having my feet washed and washing others' feet. My emotions about it are really complex. The last couple of years I've found myself struggling with our hypocrisy; we will undertake a ritual action, but how often have we failed to bend to meet the needs of the hurting and vulnerable; especially those hurt by the church?

3. Lucian Hodoboc

Lucian Hodoboc Active Member

+332
    Romania
    Eastern Orthodox
    Single
    May the Lord guide you! I am not familiar with this practice. What is an egalitarian Christian? :openmouth:

4. MariaJLM

MariaJLM Crazy Cat Lady

+1,171
    Canada
    Eastern Orthodox
    Celibate
    CA-Others
    It's a Western Christian tradition that occasionally pops up around Easter/Pascha time. It's meant to emulate Jesus' compassion for the poor as it's something he did. I know the Catholic Pope has done it to homeless people in Rome.

5. joymercy

+699
    United States
    Christian
    Private
    I put it here to reflect the change from allowing only men to get their feet washed to allowing women as well. I like the change in the rules. I almost want to wash my priests feet with my long hair, but that would not be the time.

We are celebrating the last supper.....

Can you just imagine the humility of God himself, washing your feet?

6. Paidiske

+11,289
    Australia
    Anglican
    Married
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  7. joymercy

+699
    United States
    Christian
    Private
    good point paidiski

I've been very scared about actually joining and the headlines cause me to fear much.
    But I think seeing my priests kneeling down before me and washing my foot will be very deeply moving as well as reassuring to me, as they have not done anything.

8. joymercy

+699
    United States
    Christian
    Private
    Judas was there, and I wonder if this was after he betrayed him? did jesus then wash the feet of the one who betrayed him?

9. Paidiske

+11,289
    Australia
    Anglican
    Married
    Yes; Judas left after the washing of the feet.

What that moment between them must have been like; what Jesus felt; what Judas felt; I can't imagine.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  10. joymercy

+699
    United States
    Christian
    Private
    when we look at da vinci's painting, there is a huge space seen no where else at that table at the right hand of jesus. Was Mary there, but removed?

Who was at jesus right hands side?!

71U4WPakgqL._SX425_.jpg

11. joymercy

+699
    United States
    Christian
    Private
    so jesus knew as he was washing judas feet what he was about to go and do?

do you happen to know why this was called the upper room? or do I have that name incorrect?

12. joymercy

+699
    United States
    Christian
    Private
    do you think that I should wear a long skirt like the women of the day? I have a lovely plain black skirt I wanted to wear, but also black trousers too.

I am going to feel a little bit intimidated surrounded by men: priests, deacon, seminarian, and other men getting feet washed.

I want to represent woman, yet be dressed humbly too, as I look down and imagine its jesus at my feet

13. joymercy

+699
    United States
    Christian
    Private
    my feet are also ugly and full of arthritic nubs and swollen areas from dance. the toe nails are not all there either....

the priest will see my painful and ugly feet :-(

14. Paidiske

+11,289
    Australia
    Anglican
    Married
    It seems Jesus knew, because if you read that chapter, you can see the foot washing, then he predicts that one of them will betray him, then Judas leaves.

You can see it called the upper room in Mark 14:15.

I think just be practical; don't wear things that are fiddly to get on and off (lots of buckles, or stockings).

Don't be ashamed of your feet. The point is not whether your feet are ugly, but whether you deserve to be loved. And you do. :)

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  15. joymercy

+699
    United States
    Christian
    Private
    isnt that the bomb? to realize you deserve to be loved! it will be mind blowing, as these Holy Week experiences all are slowly telling the passion story.

(thank you for the reference to the scriptures)

16. joymercy

+699
    United States
    Christian
    Private
    I have a serious interest in the empty or negative space on jesus right hand side in da vinvi!

I am in love with the idea that Mary was there.

Who else do you guys think was in the room?

Last edited: Apr 16, 2019 at 3:21 AM
  17. joymercy

+699
    United States
    Christian
    Private
    @paidiski, yes wonder what the human part of jesus was going thru....was he in the garden later that evening? he asked that if it be gods will for this cup to be taken away.....

so he was struggling too with accepting his death....

yet before being sacrificed on the cross

he washed our feet

18. joymercy

+699
    United States
    Christian
    Private
  19. joymercy

+699
    United States
    Christian
    Private
    Jesus life is the ultimate story of humility and love

feet-washing.jpg

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  20. MariaJLM

MariaJLM Crazy Cat Lady

+1,171
    Canada
    Eastern Orthodox
    Celibate
    CA-Others
    It's even more impressive when you consider the fact that God literally could have been incarnated as anybody, yet he chose the lowest and poorest levels of society.