Boston
✟16,275.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Why is it so widespread within the Catholic Church? It seems as though that many of the Catholic Priests who knew about the sexual abuses of children swept it under the rug. Like many of you, I do not believe those Priests adequately reflect the denomination of worship. In fact, there are many Catholic Priests and members of the Catholic Church who do not advocate for sexual abuse of children, etc. However, I do not understand the hypocrisy. Why did no one report this behavior? Why did the Diocese's ignore the problems and complaints that has happened for a very long time? I would expect the Church to be the last place to hide such things. It seems the only action now is for the government to become involved, considering no action is being taken by a higher authority. According to further reports, the Pope may have been aware that one of the Cardinal Members had a past history of sexual abuse, but the Pope ignored those reports and did not take any action.

I believe there are corrupt people everywhere, but I would expect the Church to take a better stand.

Please refrain from arguing, etc. This thread is meant to raise consciousness about an ongoing issue that remains within the Catholic Church, and if emerging circumstances warrant for the removal of abusive Bishops, Priests, and members of higher authority, then it must be done so without prejudice.

It just angers me how this is still and issue and still prevalent. The Church needs to do a much more effective job on resolving the matter.

• Agree
Reactions: John Bowen

RaymondG

Nov 15, 2016
USA
✟268,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The reasons it is widespread in the church is the same as for outside the church : Sin. The church just gets a spotlight because people assume it's members arent as susceptible to sin as those outside. But they are.....so let us transition from pointing and blaming to prayer and resolution.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟720,990.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Why is it so widespread within the Catholic Church? It seems as though that many of the Catholic Priests who knew about the sexual abuses of children swept it under the rug. Like many of you, I do not believe those Priests adequately reflect the denomination of worship. In fact, there are many Catholic Priests and members of the Catholic Church who do not advocate for sexual abuse of children, etc. However, I do not understand the hypocrisy. Why did no one report this behavior? Why did the Diocese's ignore the problems and complaints that has happened for a very long time? I would expect the Church to be the last place to hide such things. It seems the only action now is for the government to become involved, considering no action is being taken by a higher authority. According to further reports, the Pope may have been aware that one of the Cardinal Members had a past history of sexual abuse, but the Pope ignored those reports and did not take any action.

I believe there are corrupt people everywhere, but I would expect the Church to take a better stand.

Please refrain from arguing, etc. This thread is meant to raise consciousness about an ongoing issue that remains within the Catholic Church, and if emerging circumstances warrant for the removal of abusive Bishops, Priests, and members of higher authority, then it must be done so without prejudice.

It just angers me how this is still and issue and still prevalent. The Church needs to do a much more effective job on resolving the matter.

Churches, their leaders and the congregation are not exempt from sin. Sin abounds everywhere.

Upvote 0

paul1149

that your faith might rest in the power of God
Site Supporter
Mar 22, 2011
NY
✟674,964.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Why did no one report this behavior?
I think the authoritarian nature of the Roman hierarchy, both doctrinal and disciplinary, fortified with the teaching that there is no salvation outside of Rome, lends itself to a great fear of bucking the system and a resulting abundance of "company men".

Upvote 0

John Bowen

Site Supporter
Aug 16, 2018
dueba
✟48,940.00
Country
Fiji
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Because of church members turning a blind eye and their reluctance to speak out and question authority because of the programming that we are just miserable sinners and who are we to question the church . Well any institution that abuses children the Holy Innocents while claiming to represent Jesus Christ is clearly broken and Catholics need to speak out and demand the Pope and the church authority get the Catholic religion back on track because you can't serve two masters.

Upvote 0

Phil 1:21

Apr 3, 2017
United States
✟144,842.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
APNewsBreak: Church covered up priest's abuse of 50 boys

"FORT DODGE, Iowa (AP) — A Roman Catholic diocese acknowledged Wednesday that it concealed for decades a priest's admission that he sexually abused dozens of Iowa boys — a silence that may have put other children in danger."

-continued at above link-

Upvote 0

ilovejcsog

I am a Christian mutt. You can call me Rox
Jul 23, 2018
Phoenix
✟21,004.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution

The highest authority will have its say!! That is the very worst these predators have to look forward to in the future.

Upvote 0

John Bowen

Site Supporter
Aug 16, 2018
dueba
✟48,940.00
Country
Fiji
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
People say well thats just the way it is it happens everywhere .We aren't talking about some secular school or some small church we are talking about a institution that claims that it is the only true church of Jesus Christ that claims it has the moral authority , while systematically knowingly allowing child abuse trying to conceal it .A church with 1.5 billion members who aren't standing up to the authority demanding change. " If good people do nothing evil will eventually triumph ".

• Agree
Reactions: Phil 1:21
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,108,653.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
While not condoning the problem at all, it is false to say “so widespread.”
The problem is the problem, as in any organization. The numbers are the same as teachers, scout leaders, coaches, etc.
When a scout leader is caught he isn't just moved to a different troop where he can do it again and again and again. That is the big problem in this particular institution, the cover ups.

Upvote 0

Phil 1:21

Apr 3, 2017
United States
✟144,842.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
When a scout leader is caught he isn't just moved to a different troop where he can do it again and again and again. That is the big problem in this particular institution, the cover ups.
And the deflections. When I was still a Catholic the "party line" was to claim conspiracy against the church. Now I guess it's to say, "Yeah, but, lookie over there..."

Until Catholics, as a whole, hold the RCC accountable nothing will change. Unfortunately, too many believe that to leave the RCC means to burn in hell, so it's unlikely this problem will ever be resolved.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,108,653.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
And the deflections. When I was still a Catholic the "party line" was to claim conspiracy against the church. Now I guess it's to say, "Yeah, but, lookie over there..."

Until Catholics, as a whole, hold the RCC accountable nothing will change. Unfortunately, too many believe that to leave the RCC means to burn in hell, so it's unlikely this problem will ever be resolved.
I don't think they will leave either, but I think there are enough of the laity that are grieved, disgusted, and angry that they will start to make demands on the hierarchy. But they need to be supported by others in their church, people who will stop making excuses.
The 'look over there' is just another form of coverup.

Reactions: Phil 1:21
Upvote 0

Southernscotty

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2018
Arkansas
✟504,848.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Celibate
Consider the biblical approach here?
This is the scarlet sin that everyone hates of course as it is terrible, Yet it is sin and ALL sin leads to death. We all sin in various ways but we seem to diminish our personal failures and yet condemn those who do the biggies or sins that we feel are bigger or worse than ours.
1 Cor 6:1 -- They should be dealt with by the church first as it says "before outsiders" which is the unbelievers.
But we must remember and follow 1 Cor 5:5 knowing that this same man can repent and be saved. However he should never be returned to a position that is with a children's ministry for the childrens safty of course.

• Agree
Reactions: Hank77
Upvote 0

The Gryphon

Sep 26, 2018
Canyon Country
✟23,870.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Because men are human, power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely! Do Not put your faith in religion or men for they will, fail you every time! Rather put your faith in G_d for only He if FAITHFUL.

Religions are manmade and thus flawed. G_d (The Father, Jesus, and the Holy Spirit) are eternal, everlasting and never fail. Seek a personal relationship with G_d (The Father, Jesus, and the Holy Spirit) so your Salvation is assured. No one goes to the Father but through Jesus and the Holy Spirit is the action force that convicts you of your need for forgiveness. Read Matthew Chapter 7

Take note of versus 21-23
21“Not everyone who says to me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only the one who does the will of my Father who is in heaven. 22Many will say to me on that day, ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name and in your name drive out demons and in your name perform many miracles?’ 23Then I will tell them plainly, ‘I never knew you. Away from me, you evildoers!’

Upvote 0