Priest Prevented From Returning to Nicaragua: It’s ‘Not a Crime’ to Criticize Government

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,656,090.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Father Blandón said that when the Church announces the Gospel, she assumes her role of being light in the world.

Father Guillermo Blandón, who was prohibited by the Nicaraguan dictatorship led by President Daniel Ortega and his wife, Vice President Rosario Murillo, from returning to the country, said that it’s not a crime to denounce the abuses of the government of the Central American country.

Before he could take the flight from Miami to Nicaragua, the priest was informed that the Nicaraguan government had prohibited him from returning and expressed his surprise, “because returning is a right that I have as a Nicaraguan and I don’t think I’ve committed any crime that would prevent me from returning to my country.”

The 60-year-old priest said that he has “always denounced the injustices, the abuses, like these trials where they don’t allow a lawyer or let a lawyer see the prisoners. That’s unjust and shouldn’t be done.”

Father Blandón was referring to the political prisoners who are in the El Chipote prison, which is known to torture opponents of the regime, where several priests are currently being held.

Continued below.
Priest Prevented From Returning to Nicaragua: It’s ‘Not a Crime’ to Criticize Government