Visit site
✟187,285.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I don't think the problem is communion being refused - or at least, it shouldn't be - but the fact that the priest didn't make this known clearly enough, therefore putting this woman in an awkward position during her mother's funeral.

I have no qualms with this priest refusing to give communion, but there are a lot of crazy stories surrounding him and I think it's part of his job to communicate well with the recently bereaved.

The problem is, we don't know what the priest said to the woman before the service or after.

Jim

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,665,258.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Holy Communion in the news, again...
One of the terms that journalists hear during many continuing education sessions at the Poynter Institute down in Florida is “stakeholder.” Basically, a stakeholder is someone whose life will be directly affected by the accuracy and fairness of a story. This stakeholder may be a source in a story. Then again...

Upvote 0

eastcoast_bsc

Veteran
Mar 29, 2005
Boston
✟394,442.00
Faith
Christian
Upvote 0

WarriorAngel

I close my eyes and see you smile
Site Supporter
Apr 11, 2005
United States Pennsylvania
Visit site
✟439,418.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Father Marcel Guarnizo, Maryland Priest, Denies Communion To Lesbian Parishioner At Her Mother's Funeral

A Maryland-based priest is garnering heat in the blogosphere today after allegedly denying communion to a lesbian parishioner attending her mother's funeral.

Continued- http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/02/27/maryland-priest-communion-lesbian-denial-_n_1304910.html

My FB post:

Here's the dish people... you either get with it and follow the teachings to receive Communion, OR you do not and therefore have already made the choice to not receive. You CANNOT sin and receive. That is the way it is. The EUCHARIST is the property of the Church and is not some object to receive just because of a Holiday or a time when we think we should just take it...when our soul is not in sync with the teachings of the SAME Church of which the Eucharist belongs.
CHASTITY or bust.

BTW - for those who know - the priest knows she lives with a lover. IT is in fact his duty to protect both the Eucharist - and the souls.

Upvote 0

JimR-OCDS

God Cannot Be Grasped, Except Through Love
Oct 28, 2008
The Kingdom of Heaven
Visit site
✟187,285.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
ALthough I don't agree with the priest refusing her communion, there appears to be an agenda by the woman here.

Otherwise, how did this make into the National News if she didn't make it known to a media outlet?

Jim

Upvote 0
Apr 11, 2011
✟2,974.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
That article is one of the dumbest things I've ever read. The writer is trying to write a novel rather than trying to find out the facts. Almost every sentence has a strong bias against the Church. It appeals to emotion and attempts to vilify the priest and the Catholic Church. The article is a total misrepresentation of the Catholic faith. The article is total trash. Besides the fact that Holy Communion is the body and blood of Christ (which the article completely misses), and how, according to the article, she believes in other religions besides her being a lesbian, nobody has a right to take something which doesn't belong to them.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

WarriorAngel

Site Supporter
Apr 11, 2005
Visit site
✟439,418.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
I don't understand this. So, if I incidentally expose something I am doing that is wrong in confession to my Catholic priest (were I Catholic) and I do it without the screen so he knows who I am and I know he knows who I am, and during confession I tell him that I see nothing wrong with this and do no intend to change and he knows this information from no other place apart from confession, he has to act like he knows nothing, even though I know that he does know? That doesn't make sense nor does it seem responsible. But I may very well be missing something. I can understand that he can't say "I am denying you this because you...." but don't understand how the act of denying it based on his knowledge gained from a recent confession is wrong. If he simply said, "You can't receive today, talk to me later." it seems like at times that's the only responsible thing to do. Please clarify what I am misunderstanding here.

Josh

According to a gay friendly article... she has a lover she lives with. Even if someone were to confess - if they did - the dilemma remains - they have not left the sinful way in order to change.

IF she moved out - and went to confession face to face with a contrite heart - then the priest would be wrong. If someone does not change their lifestyle after confession - we both know the priest CAN bind the sin on the sinner.

There are no rules stating they must be forgiven...since Christ gave them authority to forgive or not to forgive.
Because Jesus - He is tougher than we suspect.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

WarriorAngel

Site Supporter
Apr 11, 2005
Visit site
✟439,418.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
UPDATE III: Canon lawyer Ed Peters — a frequent commenter on this post — has weighed in on his own blog:
This is what happens when bizarre events (like an admitted practicing lesbian presenting herself for holy Communion in the first place), happen on the watch of priests whose love for the Eucharist probably exceeds their knowledge of the law on reception of holy Communion (through no fault of their own, doubtless), before a well-wired-world that can broadcast misinformation and even flatly wrong interpretations of an event with nary a care for correcting itself later. No matter who gets hurt along the way. And plenty of people have been hurt in this one.

I have expended no little effort over many years (like about 22) trying to get Canon 915 correctly understood and properly applied in ecclesiastical life. In the last few years, some signs of progress have appeared. Now, out of nowhere, Canon 915 is being invoked by some as justification for an action that, reading the facts as alleged in the light most favorable to the minister, would not have justified his withholding holy Communion from the woman in question. Specifically, a few minutes conversation (if that’s what happened), mostly with a third party (if that’s what happened), would not suffice, in the face of numerous canons protecting the right of the faithful to receive the sacraments, to verify either the notoriety of the (objectively) sinful situation, or to verify the obstinacy of the would-be recipient, both of which elements, among others in Canon 915, mustbe demonstrated before withholding holy Communion.
RELATED:In the e-mail: “I wanted you to know there is more to this story…”

Archdiocese of Washington sends apology to lesbian who was denied communion

Is this guy clergy?
It doesnt seem so.

Canon 915 is fairly clear.

Can. 915 Those upon whom the penalty of excommunication or interdict has been imposed or declared, and others who obstinately persist in manifest grave sin, are not to be admitted to holy communion.

Wow, how do the rest of us dolts not get that? We are so obtuse that we cannot comprehend this language?

Does anyone else here understand 'NOT to be admitted to' means?

The Eucharist is not a right, it is a privilege.
NOW, who makes the choice to NOT admit someone?
Obviously it is not the lay person going to receive.

Seriously? Illogical arguments bother me. Sorry.:o

Upvote 0

WarriorAngel

Site Supporter
Apr 11, 2005
Visit site
✟439,418.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Canon 914
Can. 914 It is primarily the duty of parents and of those who take their place, as it is the duty of the parish priest, to ensure that children who have reached the use of reason are properly prepared and, having made their sacramental confession, are nourished by this divine food as soon as possible. It is also the duty of the parish priest to see that children who have not reached the use of reason, or whom he has judged to be insufficiently disposed, do not come to holy communion.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

WarriorAngel

Site Supporter
Apr 11, 2005
Visit site
✟439,418.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
In breaking the seal of confession, a priest self-excommunicates.

Sent from my iPhone using CF
DID she go to confession?
Or is it just a known fact she is living with a lover - and willfully not going to change this choice.

Upvote 0
Apr 11, 2011
✟2,974.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
DID she go to confession?
Or is it just a known fact she is living with a lover - and willfully not going to change this choice.
According to the article she said she believes in other religions and can't understand why she is being denied communion. The writer of the article said "when it came time to hand out bread and wine." This shows a total ignorance of the Catholic faith.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

WarriorAngel

Site Supporter
Apr 11, 2005
Visit site
✟439,418.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Did you not read Michie's post?
Barbara went into the sacristy before the mass and introduced herself as a lesbian in an active lesbian relationship… introducing her partner as “her lover” (her words). She left the sacristy before Fr. could have the “private discussion” you talk about. Barbaras “Lover” blocked his way out of the sacristy when he attempted to speak with her further.

If this is so, it answers your post.

So it may have been her doing.

IF this is the fact - then i give kudos to the priest.
Seems like she had her lover try to bully him and if that didnt work - she is using the blogosphere - gay community/media to hurt him.
She deserved rebuking.

Upvote 0

WarriorAngel

Site Supporter
Apr 11, 2005
Visit site
✟439,418.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
According to the article she said she believes in other religions and can't understand why she is being denied communion. The writer of the article said "when it came time to hand out bread and wine." This shows a total ignorance of the Catholic faith.

With everything i am finding out - no way could she receive.
Not only living in a grave sin, but Unitarianism is against Catholicism too.
She had no rights to receive.
MAY the Lord have mercy on her....and change her heart.:crossrc:

Reactions: Foundthelight
Upvote 0
Apr 11, 2011
✟2,974.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
I was going to post the parts of the article that show a bias, but I would have to post the entire article to do that. The article is entirely one-sided. Every part of it blatantly tries to get people to feel sorry for the lesbian and to hate the priest and the Catholic Church. It shows a picture of the lesbian in question. Why do most lesbians try to dress and look like men? Just wondering.

Upvote 0