• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.
  6. We are no longer allowing posts or threads that deny the existence of Covid-19. Members have lost loved ones to this virus and are grieving. As a Christian site, we do not need to add to the pain of the loss by allowing posts that deny the existence of the virus that killed their loved one. Future post denying the Covid-19 existence, calling it a hoax, will be addressed via the warning system.

Pride

Discussion in 'Pentecostal & Assemblies of God' started by ChildofGod1977, Jun 18, 2015.

1. ChildofGod1977

ChildofGod1977 Well-Known Member

+394
    United States
    Pentecostal
    Married
    US-Republican
    My love language is "words of affirmation". My flesh loves to be told how awesome I am. Last night during Bible study, at church, God used me to bring out some truth from His Word. It hit a nerve with Pastor and he said that what God said through me was divine. One side of me loved hearing that, but the other side of me said "oh man be careful with that". I want to be humble and give God glory for it (and I do), but I'm also pretty excited that God used me. I know that God can humble me at any moment, but I'd like to keep myself humble so He won't have to.

I guess my question is this: If God uses us, and someone compliments us on it, how do we deflect the glory to God without being or sounding prideful?

I don't want to do or say anything that would elevate me in other people's eyes. I don't want them saying "oh brother ChildofGod1977 you were right on the money tonight in Bible study" and me say to them "God gets all the glory" to have them turn around and say "he's so spiritual".... I'd rather them say: "God you get all of the glory for using that pile of flesh over there".

Does this make any sense to anyone?

We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. dayhiker

dayhiker Mature veteran

+5,093
    Charismatic
    In Relationship
    US-Others
    I think its good to keep it simple. Just a praise God. Then in your time alone with God thank Him for giving you that word for people.

3. FutureAndAHope

FutureAndAHope Just me Supporter

+1,625
    Christian
    Married
    The bible says "Pray that you enter not into temptation" ... I believe that as we spend more time with God in prayer that he keeps us free from temptation and pride. He won't push us down, that is not being humble. Humility is the ability to not lift ourselves above others. As the bible says "Consider others as greater than yourself".

4. Gunny

Gunny Remnant Supporter

+88
    Christian
    Married
    David, asked of the Lord to remove any hurtful thing from him.

Over the years the Word of God and the work of the Holy Spirit has led me to thank the Lord for removing specific things from me.

The 1st item, Abba Father, I thank you that you have removed from me all vestiges of pride, arrogance and haughtiness.

5. Oscarr

Oscarr Senior Veteran Supporter

+8,559
    New Zealand
    Pentecostal
    Married
    If you are worried about pride, know this: God took your pride and crucified it with Jesus on the cross. He also took your worry and crucified that too. So, if you are being pre-occupied with them, Jesus will come to you and demand His stuff back because they belong to Him. He paid the price for it. That pride is no longer yours, nor is the worry. Give them back to Jesus. He owns them.

6. joshua 1 9

joshua 1 9 Well-Known Member Supporter

+3,546
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    To be used by God we have to honor our priesthood before God. Peter maybe good to read.

1 pet 2:9 Butye are a chosengeneration, a royalpriesthood, an holynation, a peculiar*people;that ye should shew forth the praises of him who hath calledyou out ofdarknessintohismarvellouslight:

James Bible
    Humble yourselves therefore under the mighty hand of God, that he may exalt you in due time: 1pet 5:6

Last edited: Jul 4, 2015
  7. quietbloke

quietbloke Brother in Christ Supporter

+48,674
    United Kingdom
    Pentecostal
    Married
    Someone once said'Pride is like an onion. There is always another layer underneath'.

8. dayhiker

dayhiker Mature veteran

+5,093
    Charismatic
    In Relationship
    US-Others
    If your like me, you will say or do something stupid before very long and reality will set in soon enough.
    So since we are complimented so few times and put down so often, enjoy the good words while you can.

9. quietbloke

+48,674
    United Kingdom
    Pentecostal
    Married
    'Forbid it God,that I should boast,save in the death of Christ,my LORD. All the vain things that charm me most,I sacrifice them to Thy Blood' (Isaac Watts)

10. quietbloke

+48,674
    United Kingdom
    Pentecostal
    Married
    'Were the whole realm of nature mine,that were an offering far too small. Love so amazing,so divine,demands my soul,my life,my all' (Isaac Watts)