Preterism vs. Futurism

Status
Not open for further replies.

saltoearth

Jan 2, 2004
✟625.00
Faith
Christian
I've started this thread to understand and discuss views of preterism which are not allowed on other boards. Anyone who wishes to post PLEASE follow this verse:
2 Timothy 2:24
And the servant of the Lord must not strive; but be gentle unto all men, apt to teach, patient,

I understand that other people's views can be frustrating, but you must keep your tongue (in this case fingers) on a leash.

With Love Through Christ,

Salt

Justme

Senior Veteran
Jun 20, 2002
western prairies
Visit site
✟6,941.00
Faith
Christian
Hi Salt,

Great, thanks for posting here.

I'll mention that Salt is curious, among other things,
how preterists handle the day of the Lord statements.

I think Salt would want to see the true preterist explanation of the new heaven new earth situation. Par 70 and Stauron know that my personal opinion here is akinda off on it's own in this area, so maybe you guys could help Saltoearth out with this. I'll post my interpretation later if Salt wants me to.

Thanks guys and thanks again Salty for bringing it here.

Justme

Upvote 0

Justme

Senior Veteran
Jun 20, 2002
western prairies
Visit site
✟6,941.00
Faith
Christian
Hi Salt,

1 Thess 5
2for you know very well that the day of the Lord will come like a thief in the night. 3While people are saying, "Peace and safety," destruction will come on them suddenly, as labor pains on a pregnant woman, and they will not escape.

I consider that the Lord has more than one day.

There is mention of the Day of the Lord in the OT as well, but I'll just deal with the NT here.

Because I believe that the event of the Olivet discourse is a past event, it follows that I feel that the Day of the Lord as spoken of in connection with that is past.

I see the great tribulation as the start of all things new, I see the great tribulation as the pouring out of God's wrath on the disobedient as here:

EPH 5
No immoral, impure or greedy person--such a man is an idolater--has any inheritance in the kingdom of Christ and of God. 6Let no one deceive you with empty words, for because of such things God's wrath comes on those who are disobedient.

That is the great and mighty day of the Lord when the new heaven and the new earth of the new covenant is set up, in simpler words it is the establishment of the Kingdom of God, the time in history when mankind is finally eligible to inherit the eternal life that was promised since the beginning.

The wrath of God or the Day of the Lord being the destruction of those vipers who would not accept Jesus and His teaching during that first advent. Matthew 23.

As far as I know I would differ from full preterists in that I consider the day of the Lord of 2 Peter 3:10 to be the absolute final end of planet earth and everything that had lived upon it. This would naturally be a different Day of the Lord than that at the establishment of the kingdom of God or as it is more commonly called, the coming of the son of man.

This particular verse was the very one that convinced me the bible may have merit. The atmosphere destructing can be a very real possibility. How would any faker of biblical writing possibly know that the atmosphere protected the surface of the earth from being destroyed in intense heat-not burning because it can't burn in the absence of oxygen but being destroyed by intense heat.

Justme

Upvote 0

parousia70

Livin' in yesterday's tomorrow
Site Supporter
Feb 24, 2002
Oregon
✟799,154.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Hya Salt...
before we get started into the day of the lord, I'd like to address your signature:

"Who concerning the truth have erred, saying that the resurrection is PAST already; and overthrow the faith of some" 2 Timothy 2:18
Preterists have been around for awhile"
Just to be clear, in that verse Paul was addressing those who said the resurrection was a past event PRIOR to AD70, which was indeed false.

Since Not one single preterist asserts that the resurrection happened PRIOR to AD 70, Pauls exhortation above MUST not apply to modern biblical preterism.

Let me ask you, do you believe there will ever come a time that it will be OK to say "the resurrection is past", or will it always be wrong?

Upvote 0

Hidden Manna

Veteran
Feb 21, 2004
✟8,918.00
Faith
Christian
parousia70 said:
Hya Salt...
before we get started into the day of the lord, I'd like to address your signature:

Just to be clear, in that verse Paul was addressing those who said the resurrection was a past event PRIOR to AD70, which was indeed false.

Since Not one single preterist asserts that the resurrection happened PRIOR to AD 70, Pauls exhortation above MUST not apply to modern biblical preterism.

Let me ask you, do you believe there will ever come a time that it will be OK to say "the resurrection is past", or will it always be wrong?

Good point Parousia70
Everyone I run across try to use scriptures like that not realizing they do not understand what we are saying and using a text in that manner will not achive what they try to do. That is, trying to prove that preterism is wrong.

If the apostles would have been around long enough after 70 AD to write a book about the event, what would they have said about anyone rejecting the idea of Christ coming being spiritual, and being not what they were expecting.

This reminds me what everyone thought Christ's first coming was to be. They thought He would over throw the Roman Army and set Himself up as the King of Israel. James and John had wished for great postions in a worldly Kingdom. They wanted to call down fire from heaven to destroy their enemies as Elijah had none.

Is not the Church of today making mistakes also like James and John did in assuming Christ coming has not happened and that His Kingdom is still to come. That Christ still has to be anionted as King and that bringing in everlasting righeousness is not through the gospel alone but through making it immpossible for anyone to ever sin by doing something wrong. I wrote this because along with futurism goes the idea that the last week in Daniel 9:24 70 weeks is left out for some future point in time. And that would mean Christ has not been anionted, has not brought in everlasting righteousness and the prophesy and vision have not been sealed.

Whereas we preterist believe Jesus has been anionted as King and that His Kingdom has come and is ever increasing without end. That He has brought in everlasting righteousness through His shed blood and that the gospel as everlasting. That prophesy and vision were sealed in the book of Daniel, then opened to John and then not sealed in Revelation 22:10 because the things written were at hand, meaning about to happen. Then after the event of 70 AD all scripture became fulfilled as Jesus said it would in Luke 21:20-23.

Upvote 0

saltoearth

Jan 2, 2004
✟625.00
Faith
Christian
parousia70 said:
Hya Salt...

Yes I know the context of what Paul said to Timothy. The reason I used this verse as an example of early church preterism, is because present day preterists follow the same line of (past)thinking. When the resurrection and judgement happens not even the Devil will deny it.
Phi 2
10 That at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, of things in heaven, and things in earth, and things under the earth;

Upvote 0

saltoearth

Jan 2, 2004
✟625.00
Faith
Christian
If the apostles would have been around long enough after 70 AD to write a book about the event, what would they have said about anyone rejecting the idea of Christ coming being spiritual, and being not what they were expecting.
When did John die?

This reminds me what everyone thought Christ's first coming was to be. They thought He would over throw the Roman Army and set Himself up as the King of Israel. James and John had wished for great postions in a worldly Kingdom. They wanted to call down fire from heaven to destroy their enemies as Elijah had none.
I believe that Christ IS and WAS and SHALL BE the King of Israel

Isa 9
6 For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given: and the government shall be upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called Wonderful, Counsellor, The mighty God, The everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace. 7 Of the increase of his government and peace there shall be no end, upon the throne of David, and upon his kingdom, to order it, and to establish it with judgment and with justice from henceforth even for ever. The zeal of the LORD of hosts will perform this.

The apostate Jews at the time believed that Christ would be a LITERAL king, LIKE DAVID. However Israel is a spiritual seed and inheritance, so also is its true KING. Christ didn't set himself as KING of ISRAEL at 70 AD, He set himself as KING on the cross (the Romans soldiers inadvertantly nailed a plaque above Jesus' head which revealed the truth, when Chirst was "lifted up" and "glorified")

Is not the Church of today making mistakes also like James and John did in assuming Christ coming has not happened and that His Kingdom is still to come.

When did James or John assume that Jesus was not the Christ, (if they thought Messiah had not come, that is obvious denial of who Jesus was) Yes His disciples were living in the flesh before his resurrection (for example Peter weilding the sword, and all the others FLEEING when Christ was arrested) but they knew who he was. Peter, James and John were all on that mountain when Christ was transfigured, did they not believe that Jesus was the Christ? They misunderstood His kingdom before the resurrection, that's it.

Whereas we preterist believe Jesus has been anionted as King and that His Kingdom has come and is ever increasing without end.
When did that start, 70AD?

Then after the event of 70 AD all scripture became fulfilled as Jesus said it would in Luke 21:20-23.
Keep reading the Chapter

Luke
21:34
And take heed to yourselves, lest at any time your hearts be overcharged with surfeiting, and drunkenness, and cares of this life, and so that day come upon you unawares.

21:35
For as a snare shall it come on all them that dwell on the face of the whole earth.

Is Judea "the whole earth"?

Upvote 0

Justme

Senior Veteran
Jun 20, 2002
western prairies
Visit site
✟6,941.00
Faith
Christian
Hi Salt,

Yes I know the context of what Paul said to Timothy. The reason I used this verse as an example of early church preterism, is because present day preterists follow the same line of (past)thinking. When the resurrection and judgement happens not even the Devil will deny it.
The difference being SAlt, that when Hymen and Phil said it, the statement was false. When preterists today say it the statement is correct...the resurrection of those dead, is a past event. What in the bible would tell us that those dead denied what was told to them at the judgment day?

What would you call people who insist that the resurrection of those dead is still future? Would they also threaten the faith of many?

Parousia70 and Stauron are two that really know FP interpretation of scripture and occasionally a fella called GW stops by as well. There are others here who I don't know yet.
I find preterist articles to be very strong in their arguments. I don't personally agree 100% with everything, but there is none of it I can BIBLICALLY prove wrong. My diferences come from personal interpretations of certain biblical statements, statements of minor consequense I may add.

Justme

Upvote 0

saltoearth

Jan 2, 2004
✟625.00
Faith
Christian
1 Thess 5
2for you know very well that the day of the Lord will come like a thief in the night. 3While people are saying, "Peace and safety," destruction will come on them suddenly, as labor pains on a pregnant woman, and they will not escape.

Jer ch 46
10 For this is the day of the Lord GOD of hosts, a day of vengeance, that he may avenge him of his adversaries: and the sword shall devour, and it shall be satiate and made drunk with their blood: for the Lord GOD of hosts hath a sacrifice in the north country by the river Euphrates.

This is the judgement of BABYLON the Harlot. The Lord's vengence on His adversaries is also described in

Isaiah 63:1-6
1 Who is this that cometh from Edom, with dyed garments from Bozrah? this that is glorious in his apparel, travelling in the greatness of his strength? I that speak in righteousness, mighty to save. 2 Wherefore art thou red in thine apparel, and thy garments like him that treadeth in the winefat? 3 I have trodden the winepress alone; and of the people there was none with me: for I will tread them in mine anger, and trample them in my fury; and their blood shall be sprinkled upon my garments, and I will stain all my raiment. 4 For the day of vengeance is in mine heart, and the year of my redeemed is come.

Who is doing the vengence? Does any nation, people or person "help" the Lord take vengence? The LORD himself will destroy ALL heathens. Has this ever happened in the entire history of man? Yes. The flood. And Christ told us that the times of Noah would be like the times when he returned.

I consider that the Lord has more than one day.

From the all the scriptures that I have read about The Day of The Lord, I see a common tread of God taking vengence on all his enemies, in a very real and scary way. The destruction of Jerusalam by the Babylonians and then again bby the Romans can hardly be called complete vengence on all sinners. Their examples to me are types and shaddows of the TRUE Day of The Lord.

I see the great tribulation as the start of all things new, I see the great tribulation as the pouring out of God's wrath on the disobedient as here:

EPH 5
No immoral, impure or greedy person--such a man is an idolater--has any inheritance in the kingdom of Christ and of God. 6Let no one deceive you with empty words, for because of such things God's wrath comes on those who are disobedient.

Tribulation Great or Small is a FACT of everday CHRISTIAN life. The children of Israel being led through the wilderness for 40 years is an awesome example of the chosen people of God undergoing tribulation. All the children of Israel went through tribulation, yet not all suffered the wrath of God (pert near but not all). There is clearly a difference because the Great Gribulation and The Day of The Lord.

That is the great and mighty day of the Lord when the new heaven and the new earth of the new covenant is set up, in simpler words it is the establishment of the Kingdom of God, the time in history when mankind is finally eligible to inherit the eternal life that was promised since the beginning.

Don't want to take you out of context or misunderstand you. Are you talking about 70 AD? The kingdom of God is where God reigns right? The TRUE temple, The TRUE body of Christ, is where God reigns. That was instituted at 33 AD.

The wrath of God or the Day of the Lord being the destruction of those vipers who would not accept Jesus and His teaching during that first advent. Matthew 23.

Wouldn't you say that most of those vipers already kicked of by 70 AD?

As far as I know I would differ from full preterists in that I consider the day of the Lord of 2 Peter 3:10 to be the absolute final end of planet earth and everything that had lived upon it. This would naturally be a different Day of the Lord than that at the establishment of the kingdom of God or as it is more commonly called, the coming of the son of man.

the passage in 2 Peter 3:10 mixes itself with other passages about The Day of The Lord, which some have claimed is PAST.

salt

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

saltoearth

Jan 2, 2004
✟625.00
Faith
Christian
This is the spiritual resurrection
Romans 6
3 Know ye not, that so many of us as were baptized into Jesus Christ were baptized into his death? 4 Therefore we are buried with him by baptism into death: that like as Christ was raised up from the dead by the glory of the Father, even so we also should walk in newness of life.
This is for all belivers from the time of Christ.

This is the spiritual death
Heb 10
10:39
But we are not of them who draw back unto perdition; but of them that believe to the saving of the soul.

This is the physical resurrection (1st)
Rev
20:4
And I saw thrones, and they sat upon them, and judgment was given unto them: and I saw the souls of them that were beheaded for the witness of Jesus, and for the word of God, and which had not worshipped the beast, neither his image, neither had received his mark upon their foreheads, or in their hands; and they lived and reigned with Christ a thousand years.
20:5
But the rest of the dead lived not again until the thousand years were finished. This is the first resurrection.

and this is the 2nd resurrection
Revelation 20:11-15
11 And I saw a great white throne, and him that sat on it, from whose face the earth and the heaven fled away; and there was found no place for them.
12 And I saw the dead, small and great, stand before God; and the books were opened: and another book was opened, which is the book of life: and the dead were judged out of those things which were written in the books, according to their works. 13 And the sea gave up the dead which were in it; and death and hell delivered up the dead which were in them: and they were judged every man according to their works.
14 And death and hell were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death.
15 And whosoever was not found written in the book of life was cast into the lake of fire.

salt

Upvote 0

parousia70

Site Supporter
Feb 24, 2002
Oregon
✟799,154.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
saltoearth said:
Yes I know the context of what Paul said to Timothy. The reason I used this verse as an example of early church preterism, is because present day preterists follow the same line of (past)thinking.
Modern Preterists have absolutely nothing in common with H&P. As Justme pointed out, H&P were wrong concerning the timing of the resurrection, while modern preterists are not.

When the resurrection and judgement happens not even the Devil will deny it.
Phi 2
10 That at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, of things in heaven, and things in earth, and things under the earth;
Please explain how Philippians 2 is contextually bound to the resurrection.

Also, please show one person today who is exempt from Christ's authority.

Upvote 0

parousia70

Site Supporter
Feb 24, 2002
Oregon
✟799,154.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
saltoearth said:
Isaiah 63:1-6
1 Who is this that cometh from Edom, with dyed garments from Bozrah? this that is glorious in his apparel, travelling in the greatness of his strength? I that speak in righteousness, mighty to save. 2 Wherefore art thou red in thine apparel, and thy garments like him that treadeth in the winefat? 3 I have trodden the winepress alone; and of the people there was none with me: for I will tread them in mine anger, and trample them in my fury; and their blood shall be sprinkled upon my garments, and I will stain all my raiment. 4 For the day of vengeance is in mine heart, and the year of my redeemed is come.

Who is doing the vengence? Does any nation, people or person "help" the Lord take vengence? The LORD himself will destroy ALL heathens. Has this ever happened in the entire history of man? Yes. The flood. And Christ told us that the times of Noah would be like the times when he returned.
In order to understand the nature of the "Day of Christ", one must first understand the nature of the various "Day of the Lord" events that preceded it.

Jehovah's comings were always described as personal and visible (see: Isa 19:1-2; Isa 31 all; Deut 33:2, Zech 9:13; etc.). Jesus was to come "in the glory of the Father." Christ's coming was to be a Day of Yahweh event, which reveals to us the precise nature of that event.

The desolation of Jerusalem by the Babylonians was a past "Day of the Lord." After it happened, the prophet Jeremiah tells us:

Lamentations 1:12
behold, and see if there be any sorrow like unto my sorrow, which is done unto me, wherewith the LORD hath afflicted me in the day of his fierce anger.

Lamentations 2:1
How hath the Lord covered the daughter of Zion with a cloud in his anger, and cast down from heaven unto the earth the beauty of Israel, and remembered not his footstool in the day of his anger

Lamentations 2:21
The young and the old lie on the ground in the streets: my virgins and my young men are fallen by the sword; thou hast slain them in the day of thine anger; thou hast killed, and not pitied.

Lamentations 2:22
Thou hast called as in a solemn day my terrors round about, so that in the day of the LORD'S anger none escaped nor remained

Note also that it was God who did the killing! Did anyone SEE Jehovah kill people? Was the prophet lying? Of course not. This is how the prophets spoke.

Furthermore, Ezekiel had foretold of this same Day of the Lord against Jerusalem which took place in the 500s BC, saying:

Ezekiel 7:19
They shall cast their silver in the streets, and their gold shall be removed: their silver and their gold shall not be able to deliver them in the day of the wrath of Jehovah: they shall not satisfy their souls, neither fill their bowels: because it is the stumblingblock of their iniquity.

And again, Ezekiel says of this same past Day of the Lord...

Ezekiel 13:2-5
Son of man, prophesy against the prophets of Israel that prophesy, and say thou unto them that prophesy out of their own hearts, Hear ye the word of the LORD; Thus saith the Lord GOD; Woe unto the foolish prophets, that follow their own spirit, and have seen nothing! O Israel, thy prophets are like the foxes in the deserts. Ye have not gone up into the gaps, neither made up the hedge for the house of Israel to stand in the battle in the day of Jehovah.

The prophet Zephaniah also calls the destruction of Jerusalem by the Babylonians "the Day of the Lord."

Zephaniah 1:1 - 1:7

The word of Yahweh which came to Zephaniah, the son of Cushi, the son of Gedaliah, the son of Amariah, the son of Hezekiah, in the days of Josiah, the son of Amon, king of Judah. I will utterly sweep away everything off of the surface of the earth, says Yahweh. I will sweep away man and animal. I will sweep away the birds of the sky, the fish of the sea, and the heaps of rubble with the wicked. I will cut off man from the surface of the earth, says Yahweh. I will stretch out my hand against Judah, and against all the inhabitants of Jerusalem. I will cut off the remnant of Baal from this place: the name of the idolatrous and pagan priests, those who worship the host of the sky on the housetops, those who worship and swear by Yahweh and also swear by Malcam, those who have turned back from following Yahweh, and those who haven't sought Yahweh nor inquired after him. Be silent at the presence of the Lord Yahweh, for the day of Yahweh is at hand. For Yahweh has prepared a sacrifice. He has consecrated his guests.

Folks, there we have the classic "Day of the Lord" in scripture. The prophets speak of Jehovah who comes down and does a whole host of "physical" things. Yet did any one SEE [/b]Yahweh do these things? Was Zephaniah lying? This scripture goes on all the way to the end of Zephaniah chapter two, and be sure to note that the judgments that ensue upon the other surrounding nations are also a past Day of Yahweh event (1:14; 2:2-3).

So, the destruction of Jerusalem in the 500s BC is just one example of MANY past day of the LORD events.

The N.T. teaches that Christ's return was to be a "Day of Yahweh" event. This perfectly coincides with AD 67-70, which was the greatest Day of the Lord in history.

Jesus wielded Rome's powers as Jehovah had wielded the powers and kings of Babylon and Persia as his own anointed servants (Jer 25:9; Isa 44:28-45:13). That's how the Day of the Lord judgments work. Rome continued so that the Church would over take it as the stone of Daniel 2 that became a giant mountain over the whole earth. The pagan Roman Empire was destroyed.

John's own interpretation of Rev 1:7's cloud-coming is found in Rev 14:14-20! No one can deny that the Rev 14:14-20 passage shows a coming in the heavenly realms which brings disasters upon earth--it is not an incarnational event. Rather, this perfectly depicts the way the Father came in O.T. times--in power and great glory. As Jesus promised, he was to come "in the glory of the Father." Furthermore, Jesus said that when his future kingdom came, no one would be able to point to it and say "look here it is, or look there it is" (Luke 17:20-21). Since "the kingdom does not come in an observable fashion" (Luke 17:20-21), and since Christ was to come "in his kingdom" (Mt 16:27-28 ), it follows by logical necessity that Christ's coming was not observable. Rather, it was a "Day of the Lord event (i.e., in the heavenly realms with great disasters and wrath poured out upon nations and people).

The coming of Christ on the clouds that every eye would see (Rev 1:7) is actually shown us in Revelation 14:14-20. There can be no doubt that the Rev 14:14-20 passage makes clear that it is a coming in the heavenlies like unto the many O.T. Jehovah comings (cf. Isa 19:1-2; Deut 33:2; 2 Sam 22:7-16; Zech 9:13-16; Zeph 1:2-5; Isaiah 31, Neh 9:13-15; Hab 3:3-16; etc.). Jehovah came often in O.T. times, yet his presence, which always performed the desolations, was potent and invisible. Jesus had promised that he was to come "in the glory of the Father.

The great and terrible Day of the Lord struck at the headquarters of opposition. Apostate Jerusalem, a.k.a. the great city Mystery Babylon (Rev 14:8/11:8 ), was responsible for the persecution of Christ and the apostles and prophets. They used the power of Rome to persecute the Church worldwide after killing Christ himself. For that, all of the blood shed on the earth from Able unto the time of Christ was to be avenged upon their generation according to Matt 23:31-36. All torah-observant, Christ-rejecting Jews in the Roman Empire were destroyed in Jerusalem in that great wrath of AD 67-70. The judgment came at that time (1 Peter 4:17; cf Jn 12:31), for the end of all things was then at hand (1 Peter 4:7; 2 Tim 4:1)--the end of the age had come.

Furthermore, the vengeance of God in those last days (Heb 1:1-2; James 5:3; Acts 2:15-17) had worldwide impact. A last-days famine hit the whole empire (Acts 11:28 ), God was striking down kings (Acts 12:20-23) as well as the emperor-gods (Nero, Galba, etc), Rome burned, and the world Temple of Jupiter was destroyed in AD 69. That Day of the Lord, the greatest of all those before it, did come upon the whole world as prophesied. Christ's Church emerged victorious and has become the greatest empire known to mankind.

Let me say that if one understands what the Day of the Lord was, and if one is very familiar with the many historic Day-of-the-Lord judgments that transpired in Old Testament times, then one quickly understands that the second coming was, by nature, to be a Day of the Lord event just like those in O.T. times. The preterist view is entirely consistent with the Old Testament in understanding AD 67-70 as not only a "Day of the Lord," but the greatest of all those that had ever been.

From the all the scriptures that I have read about The Day of The Lord, I see a common tread of God taking vengence on all his enemies, in a very real and scary way. The destruction of Jerusalam by the Babylonians and then again bby the Romans can hardly be called complete vengence on all sinners. Their examples to me are types and shaddows of the TRUE Day of The Lord.
You correctly cite that The phrase "the day of the Lord" is used time and again by the prophets to describe local judgements of God upon his enemies yet it appears you are asserting that everything God promeised would happen during those particular "day of the Lord" events didn't happen as God promised they would.

Are you saying God deliberately misled those people into thinking all these earth shaking, universally cataclysmic events described would happen to them, when he really meant that they would happen thousands of years later in another "Day of the Lord" event not even under discussionat the time?

Where does the Bible teach you that all previous day of the lord events are not to be taken word for word as correct descriptions of those events?

the passage in 2 Peter 3:10 mixes itself with other passages about The Day of The Lord, which some have claimed is PAST.
The Bible itself cements the Day of the Lord spoken of in 2 Peter 3 to the 1st century.

Revelation 3:1-3
"1 "And to the angel of the church in Sardis write,'These things says He who has the seven Spirits of God and the seven stars: "I know your works, that you have a name that you are alive, but you are dead. 2 Be watchful, and strengthen the things which remain, that are ready to die, for I have not found your works perfect before God. 3 Remember therefore how you have received and heard; hold fast and repent. Therefore if you will not watch, I will come upon you as a thief, and you will not know what hour I will come upon you.

In 2 Peter 3 the Day of the Lord comes as a thief, and in revelation 3 Christ Promises to come upon the 1st century Church at Sardis "As a Thief". Much as you need it to, the Bible does not teach that Christ comes "as a thief" multiple times. The simple fact is that Christ's "coming as a thief" is the second coming, and The second coming of Christ is NOT A CONDITIONAL EVENT. According to scripture, the second coming of Christ was to take place irrespective of whether some repented and others did not -- in fact, the doctrine of the second coming fully and uniformly teaches that some would be faithful and others unfaithful (Romans 2:5-9; Mt 25:1-13; Lk 13:24-30; 1 Cor 3:12-15). As the angel also plainly states:

Revelation 22:10-11
And he said to me, "Do not seal up the words of the prophecy of this book, for the time is near. Let the one who does wrong, still do wrong; and the one who is filthy, still be filthy; and let the one who is righteous, still practice righteousness; and the one who is holy, still keep himself holy."

Did you catch that? Man's repentance or lack thereof has nothing to do with the timing of the coming of Christ. Nothing whatsoever. Note also that Jesus explicitly says that the Thyatria Prophetess movement chose not to repent, and that He was coming and would kill her and her "children." But to the rest at Thyatria (the faithful), they were to hold fast and had no additional burden placed upon them, for Jesus had rewards to give them as stated in Rev 2:26-28. We know that Christ came to them, for he came and killed the Prophetess and rewarded the faithful as he said. This is all first-century stuff here. No "Church Age," no "1948," no "21st century computer chips" -- the glorified Jesus knew of none of those modern speculative doctrines, and that makes them impossible doctrines, ones not found anywhere in scripture. Had any of those things been biblical doctrines, then Jesus would not be promising His second coming to first-century churches as we see him doing in Revelation 2-3, where He plainly applies the doctrine to first-century people. Jesus must be right, and therefore futurism must be wrong concerning the timing of the second coming of Christ.

Upvote 0

Justme

Senior Veteran
Jun 20, 2002
western prairies
Visit site
✟6,941.00
Faith
Christian
Hi Salt,

Don't want to take you out of context or misunderstand you. Are you talking about 70 AD? The kingdom of God is where God reigns right? The TRUE temple, The TRUE body of Christ, is where God reigns. That was instituted at 33 AD.
Was it? Could be, I tend to think there was a bit more to it. Like all the enemies had to be destroyed, I think before Heaven became fully operational for the common man that the parousia had to be over. I see the parousia as the establishment of the kingdom of God, I see the kingdom of God as being the same thing as the kingdom of Heaven. I see all of it as the coming of the son of man.

Here's why......
Matthew 16
28I tell you the truth, some who are standing here will not taste death before they see the Son of Man coming in his kingdom.

Mark 9

1And he said to them, "I tell you the truth, some who are standing here will not taste death before they see the kingdom of God come with power."

So what was that transfiguration anyway? Well, whatever you like, it is called both the coming of the son of man and the coming of the kingdom of God, hence they are the same thing. Have you ever read threads about, "what was the transfigutration?" People are drawing on verses from clear back to Genesis and the answer is told to us right there ...it is the son of man coming or the Kingdom of God coming and only three men ever see it while living, the rest of us are physically dead when we see the kingdom and none of us see it come. Yet another reason there is no tangible record of the coming of the son of man on the clouds. Dead people don't write stories, dead people don't even tell stories.

So how about this Kingdom of God/Kingdom of Heaven thing?

Matthew 11:11
I tell you the truth: Among those born of women there has not risen anyone greater than John the Baptist; yet he who is least in the kingdom of heaven is greater than he.

Luke 7:28

I tell you, among those born of women there is no one greater than John; yet the one who is least in the kingdom of God is greater than he."

That's why.

Wouldn't you say that most of those vipers already kicked of by 70 AD?
No, I would say it was the exact same generation that Jesus spoke of here:

Mark 13
30I tell you the truth, this generation will certainly not pass away until all these things have happened.

Another reason is here:

1 Cor 15
After that, he appeared to more than five hundred of the brothers at the same time, most of whom are still living, though some have fallen asleep.

Yes, I'm glad Par70 explained the preterist view there.

My view is different in that I see it in 2 Peter 3:10 to be about the end of the planet.
As I mentioned somewhere my interpretation concerning this and all verses that use the phrase "thief in the night" is a bit different...and probably confusing.

I see certain things as being the "come as a theif" things, such as the parousia, personal death and the end of the planet.

So when I read of the day of the Lord coming as a thief in the nite, the timing of it determines whether I'm thinking physical death of individuals, the parousia or the final end of earth. The new heaven and new earth fits in for me as well. The new heaven and earth is established at the 70 AD time, the new heaven and earth is all there is after the end of the planet and the new Heaven is where I may go after my death.

So that said, I still see the new Heaven and new earth as being established in 70 AD, I still see the parousia or the origonal second coming being in 70 AD. I see the invisible second coming for all others as being at the time of their personal death, until that time when the earth burns to a crisp and the second coming occurs for all those poor people unfortunate enough to inhabit this rock at that time.

I see it as totally possible to face God's wrath at my death, I am however, gonna smarten up here soon in case my time is earlier than expected. I want to be ready because no one knows the day or the hour and the thief can come when you least expect it. At that time heaven and earth will pass away ...or I will pass away from it. The time of the end...for me.

Justme

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

saltoearth

Jan 2, 2004
✟625.00
Faith
Christian
Zephaniah 1:1 - 1:7

The word of Yahweh which came to Zephaniah, the son of Cushi, the son of Gedaliah, the son of Amariah, the son of Hezekiah, in the days of Josiah, the son of Amon, king of Judah. I will utterly sweep away everything off of the surface of the earth, says Yahweh. I will sweep away man and animal. I will sweep away the birds of the sky, the fish of the sea, and the heaps of rubble with the wicked. I will cut off man from the surface of the earth, says Yahweh. I will stretch out my hand against Judah, and against all the inhabitants of Jerusalem. I will cut off the remnant of Baal from this place: the name of the idolatrous and pagan priests, those who worship the host of the sky on the housetops, those who worship and swear by Yahweh and also swear by Malcam, those who have turned back from following Yahweh, and those who haven't sought Yahweh nor inquired after him. Be silent at the presence of the Lord Yahweh, for the day of Yahweh is at hand. For Yahweh has prepared a sacrifice. He has consecrated his guests.

Folks, there we have the classic "Day of the Lord" in scripture. The prophets speak of Jehovah who comes down and does a whole host of "physical" things. Yet did any one SEE [/b]Yahweh do these things? Was Zephaniah lying? This scripture goes on all the way to the end of Zephaniah chapter two, and be sure to note that the judgments that ensue upon the other surrounding nations are also a past Day of Yahweh event (1:14; 2:2-3).

This prophecy in Zephaniah can only be fulfilled in the latter days

The N.T. teaches that Christ's return was to be a "Day of Yahweh" event. This perfectly coincides with AD 67-70, which was the greatest Day of the Lord in history.

If the second coming IS The Day of The Lord, it was something NOT to look forward to.

Amos 5:18
Woe unto you that desire the day of the LORD! to what end is it for you? the day of the LORD is darkness, and not light.

But the second coming is definately something to look forward to

1 Thess
4:16
For the Lord himself shall descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel, and with the trump of God: and the dead in Christ shall rise first:

The great and terrible Day of the Lord struck at the headquarters of opposition. Apostate Jerusalem, a.k.a. the great city Mystery Babylon (Rev 14:8/11:8 )

The texts say "that great city". No that is not Jerusalem. Jesus was not crusified in Jerusalem. The great city is Mystery Babylon. The Harlot

Isaiah 2: 1 - 22 - Study This Chapter

1 The word that Isaiah the son of Amoz saw concerning Judah and Jerusalem.
2 And it shall come to pass in the last days, that the mountain of the LORD'S house shall be established in the top of the mountains, and shall be exalted above the hills; and all nations shall flow unto it.
3 And many people shall go and say, Come ye, and let us go up to the mountain of the LORD, to the house of the God of Jacob; and he will teach us of his ways, and we will walk in his paths: for out of Zion shall go forth the law, and the word of the LORD from Jerusalem.
4 And he shall judge among the nations, and shall rebuke many people: and they shall beat their swords into plowshares (becoming husbandmen of his vinyard), and their spears into pruninghooks: nation shall not lift up sword against nation, neither shall they learn war any more.
5 O house of Jacob, come ye, and let us walk in the light of the LORD.
6 Therefore thou hast forsaken thy people the house of Jacob, because they be replenished from the east, and are soothsayers like the Philistines, and they please themselves in the children of strangers.
7 Their land also is full of silver and gold, neither is there any end of their treasures; their land is also full of horses, neither is there any end of their chariots:
8 Their land also is full of idols; they worship the work of their own hands, that which their own fingers have made:
9 And the mean man boweth down, and the great man humbleth himself: therefore forgive them not.
10 Enter into the rock, and hide thee in the dust, for fear of the LORD, and for the glory of his majesty. 11 The lofty looks of man shall be humbled, and the haughtiness of men shall be bowed down, and the LORD alone shall be exalted in that day.
12 For the day of the LORD of hosts shall be upon every one that is proud and lofty, and upon every one that is lifted up; and he shall be brought low: 13 And upon all the cedars of Lebanon, that are high and lifted up, and upon all the oaks of Bashan,
14 And upon all the high mountains, and upon all the hills that are lifted up,
15 And upon every high tower, and upon every fenced wall,
16 And upon all the ships of Tarshish, and upon all pleasant pictures.
17 And the loftiness of man shall be bowed down, and the haughtiness of men shall be made low: and the LORD alone shall be exalted in that day.
18 And the idols he shall utterly abolish.
19 And they shall go into the holes of the rocks, and into the caves of the earth, for fear of the LORD, and for the glory of his majesty, when he ariseth to shake terribly the earth.
20 In that day a man shall cast his idols of silver, and his idols of gold, which they made each one for himself to worship, to the moles and to the bats;
21 To go into the clefts of the rocks, and into the tops of the ragged rocks, for fear of the LORD, and for the glory of his majesty, when he ariseth to shake terribly the earth.
22 Cease ye from man, whose breath is in his nostrils: for wherein is he to be accounted of?

So when was this day of the Lord? Isaiah speaks of it being in the last days, wouldn't it follow that the rest of the occurances(of the day of the Lord) in the book of Isa are speaking of THE SAME TIME?

Now look at Jeremiah 30:20-24

20 Their children also shall be as aforetime, and their congregation shall be established before me, and I will punish all that oppress them. 21 And their nobles shall be of themselves, and their governor shall proceed from the midst of them; and I will cause him to draw near, and he shall approach unto me: for who is this that engaged his heart to approach unto me? saith the LORD. 22 And ye shall be my people, and I will be your God. 23 Behold, the whirlwind of the LORD goeth forth with fury, a continuing whirlwind: it shall fall with pain upon the head of the wicked. 24 The fierce anger of the LORD shall not return, until he have done it, and until he have performed the intents of his heart: in the latter days ye shall consider it.

Again we see that the fierce anger of the LORD is reserved for the latter days.

Joel 2:11
And the LORD shall utter his voice before his army: for his camp is very great: for he is strong that executeth his word: for the day of the LORD is great and very terrible; and who can abide it?

Flesh and blood certainly can't stand in The Day of The Lord. If this is speaking of Rome destroying Jerusalem and natural disasters at that time, how did anyone survive? Who can abide it?

Upvote 0

parousia70

Site Supporter
Feb 24, 2002
Oregon
✟799,154.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
saltoearth said:
This prophecy in Zephaniah can only be fulfilled in the latter days
Did you have any scripture to support this claim, or is this just your personal opinion?

If the second coming IS The Day of The Lord, it was something NOT to look forward to.
Just so I'm clear, your assertion is that the "day of the Lord" in the NT is NOT the same event as the Parousia of Christ?

If so, What scripture teaches you this?

The texts say "that great city". No that is not Jerusalem. Jesus was not crusified in Jerusalem. The great city is Mystery Babylon. The Harlot
What City was Jesus Crucified in?

So when was this day of the Lord? Isaiah speaks of it being in the last days, wouldn't it follow that the rest of the occurances(of the day of the Lord) in the book of Isa are speaking of THE SAME TIME?
Why would it follow that? your assumption is arbitrary.

Immediate context determines which "Day of the Lord" Isaiah is speaking of each time He speaks of one.

BTW, according to scripture the "Last Days" were underway in Jesus Generation, not ours.

Again we see that the fierce anger of the LORD is reserved for the latter days.
Only If you ignore the verses in Lamentations I posted. (as I noticed you did)

Flesh and blood certainly can't stand in The Day of The Lord. If this is speaking of Rome destroying Jerusalem and natural disasters at that time, how did anyone survive? Who can abide it?
Christians in Jerusalem survived by heeding Christ's warning to "Flee to the mountains". I can't help but wonder about your understanding of why Christ would warn Christians to flee Jerusalem when they saw the signs that the 2nd coming was imminent if, in your view, fleeing Jerusalem would be pointless?

Anyway, As I previously posted, Revelation 3:3 PROVES preterism is correct, and Futurism is a lie.

All your other arguments have absolutely zero merit unless you can refute this.

Upvote 0

FreeinChrist

CF Advisory team
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2003
USA
✟1,749,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I have never gotten a satisfactory answer from a preterist as to who the two witnesses were.

I have a big problem with preterism, in that it makes the Christians before 70 AD different in status from present day Christians...and that is not true.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.