Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Labour
So with the first debate hours away, I figured it would be a good idea to update my prediction of the race.
As the previous thread I started is now locked in OBOB Politics, I decided to take this opportunity to move to TLT(hope you folk don't mind):
2016 Presidential Prediction 26 9.png

This is actually a graphic of how I think the race is currently going, Trump just managing to pull ahead in Colorado. I would make a proper prediction, but the debates could change the dynamic of the race completely. So I decided against doing so.

With the drift towards Trump over the last month, Clinton needs to reverse the trend with these debates.

Though Trump being a showman, I feel he is more likely to excel in the debates. Clinton is the pseudo-incumbent, which will already put her at a slight disadvantage.
Even if the debates have little impact on the race, Trump already has a very slight edge.

The site I use to make my maps is: 270towin.com
Anyone else here have their own predictions?

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Site Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,087,135.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
In my heart of hearts I am hoping there is a terminally I'll hacker out there who will reveal Trump's tax returns. I understand the penalties are high so it would have to be someone with nothing to lose. He would be America's hero.

Reactions: Shiloh Raven
Upvote 0

Mountain_Girl406

Site Supporter
Jul 9, 2015
✟144,014.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
I think Clinton will will but it will be closer than I first thought. I think with good moderation, as I suspect Lester Holt will provide, that Clinton will get a debate bump. I also think that Johnson is losing his luster for Sanders supporters as it becomes more evident that he shares little in common with Sanders on most issues, but he'll remain a big draw for the Libertarian leaning right.

Upvote 0

Shiloh Raven

May 14, 2016
Texas
✟228,180.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
In my heart of hearts I am hoping there is a terminally I'll hacker out there who will reveal Trump's tax returns. I understand the penalties are high so it would have to be someone with nothing to lose. He would be America's hero.

I must say that I am a bit surprised the group Anonymous has not gone after Trump's tax returns yet.

• Agree
Reactions: Genersis
Upvote 0

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Site Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,087,135.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
This New Yorker article talks about how Clinton turned Trump into Romney (i.e. a vulture capitalist).

http://www.newyorker.com/news/benja...pJobID=1002208232&spReportId=MTAwMjIwODIzMgS2

When Clinton said that Trump’s career had been jump-started by a fourteen-million-dollar loan from his father, Trump called the amount “small” but didn’t challenge the sum. He called the six hundred and fifty million dollars he owed to banks “really not a lot of money.” He kept naming cities where he owned property, as if this meant he owned the cities themselves. He bragged about opening a private club in Palm Beach (“a tough community”) that included African-Americans and Latinos, as if that insulated him against all charges of racism. He seemed basically resistant to the notion that he had some obligation to contribute to the public good. The two years’ worth of Trump tax returns on the public record, Clinton noted, showed that he had not paid any taxes at all.

“That makes me smart,” Trump said.

Imagine if everyone in the country did as Trump did. I guess he assumes other taxpayers will pick up his slack because they aren't as "smart" as him. "I love the uneducated," he said after one primary.

It's not a question of intelligence, Mr. Trump. It's a question of character.

Let me add a seventh bankruptcy to your long list. You are morally bankrupt.

• Winner
Reactions: tadoflamb
Upvote 0

Genersis

Person of Disinterest
Sep 26, 2011
London
✟38,690.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Labour
As an update, it seems the general consensus is that Clinton did better in the first debate.
(I only caught the very last question on respecting the results)

But I think it also should be kept in mind that Trump just needed to not come off as too...Trump-y? To seem more presidential. Some people think he managed okay with that.

Would you guys disagree with this? I wouldn't mind more input.

The next batch of polls looks set to be quite interesting.
If I was to forced to make a prediction, I would say a small increase in support for Clinton could be likely.
Makes me wonder if this race is going to be very close till the end.

Upvote 0

Genersis

Person of Disinterest
Sep 26, 2011
London
✟38,690.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Labour
Perhaps that's a bit optimistic.
If such did leak, I'm doubtful it would go very far. It seems hard to get people to care about that kinda thing.

Upvote 0

Genersis

Person of Disinterest
Sep 26, 2011
London
✟38,690.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Labour
I think Clinton will will but it will be closer than I first thought. I think with good moderation, as I suspect Lester Holt will provide, that Clinton will get a debate bump. I also think that Johnson is losing his luster for Sanders supporters as it becomes more evident that he shares little in common with Sanders on most issues, but he'll remain a big draw for the Libertarian leaning right.
You may very well be right.
Though I'm not sure Johnson is getting enough attention, and ergo examination, to lose his luster.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Armoured

So is America great again yet?
Site Supporter
Aug 31, 2013
✟234,967.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
It will be Obama's or Hillary's fault according to the Usual Suspects.
Oh, I don't doubt it, but watching them trying to spin a coherent narrative is always good fun, and no matter how they tapdance, they're going to have a hard time excusing the absence of a border wall by claiming "Trump never said he'd build a wall"

Upvote 0

LoAmmi

Dispassionate
Mar 12, 2012
✟209,533.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married
Oh, I don't doubt it, but watching them trying to spin a coherent narrative is always good fun, and no matter how they tapdance, they're going to have a hard time excusing the absence of a border wall by claiming "Trump never said he'd build a wall"

I do love all the things that Trump didn't say when there's video of him saying it.

Reactions: Armoured
Upvote 0

Armoured

So is America great again yet?
Site Supporter
Aug 31, 2013
✟234,967.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I do love all the things that Trump didn't say when there's video of him saying it.
It's all the things he's suddenly not going to have said if he wins the election that I'm looking forward to. Not to mention some of the fantastic wish projection of his supporters

Starting with "i can fix crime in Chicago in a week" followed closely by "Trump will destroy ISIS in a month"

Upvote 0

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Site Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,087,135.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I thought Trump seemed about as un-presidential as you can get--even more so than usual.

I have never seen Kim Jung Un in action--that little Korean megalomaniac who attended posh schools in the U.S. and developed an addiction to Disney--but I do think that he probably could deal with foreign heads of state just as well as Trump (the megalomaniac who attended posh schools in the U.S. and developed an addiction to his own image).

He turned completely incoherent when attacked. When it was suggested he might be witholding his tax returns because his wealth was not as high as expected, he said, "Some of my friends say that my buildings along are worth $3.9 billion!" Who cares, you don't impress-a-me-much no matter what your buildings are worth. But he couldn't let go. He only has loans of $650 million (not much, really, according to him). The $14 million he inherited from his father was chickenfeed (Robert Reich said if he had put it into an index fund and didn't work a day he would have realized the same gains--without bilking the taxpayers for all those tax breaks). He thinks he can measure his self-worth by his billions (and that others will, too).

He thinks that smart people don't pay taxes--even when they have more than ample means to do so.

Obviously some people have missed all these clues up until now--but as he unravels they become more noticeable.

While I disagreed with some commentators who thought he was on cocaine, his erratic behavior was suggestive of some sort of severe disorder.

The groups he needs to bring on his side--college-educated men (college-educated people, period), suburbanites--cannot fail to be wary of voting for him.

Wall Street responded favorably to Trump's on-stage mad scene, BTW--Dow up 133.

Upvote 0

Vicomte13

Jan 6, 2016
Westport, Connecticut
✟93,837.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I'll be the minority report here and say that I think Trump will win.

The debate worked to his advantage, not because he "won" the debate on debating points or debating style, but because a huge audience of Independents and undecideds - which really means people who don't like Hillary Clinton (everybody already knows her) - saw Trump, and what they saw was enough to give them permission to vote for him.

Hillary has shot her bolt. There's nothing new to know of her. She tried really hard to get Trump to explode at the debate, and he didn't. She came across as a more skilled debater and politician...and the reason Trump has gotten as far as he has is because huge numbers of people are tired of politicians and don't believe them anymore.

This election is an American Brexit referendum, and the result will be the same: Americans have lost faith in their Establishment, and will turn them out of power. Had Trump gone berserk and unzipped his pants or something, Hillary would have won. But he didn't. So the polls will continue to melt in his direction in the Rust Belt states, and she will be unable to turn that around - because she has shot her bolt.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Genersis
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Fish and Bread

Dona nobis pacem
Jan 31, 2005
✟68,185.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I'll be the minority report here and say that I think Trump will win.

The debate worked to his advantage, not because he "won" the debate on debating points or debating style, but because a huge audience of Independents and undecideds - which really means people who don't like Hillary Clinton (everybody already knows her) - saw Trump, and what they saw was enough to give them permission to vote for him.

Hillary has shot her bolt. There's nothing new to know of her. She tried really hard to get Trump to explode at the debate, and he didn't. She came across as a more skilled debater and politician...and the reason Trump has gotten as far as he has is because huge numbers of people are tired of politicians and don't believe them anymore.

This election is an American Brexit referendum, and the result will be the same: Americans have lost faith in their Establishment, and will turn them out of power. Had Trump gone berserk and unzipped his pants or something, Hillary would have won. But he didn't. So the polls will continue to melt in his direction in the Rust Belt states, and she will be unable to turn that around - because she has shot her bolt.

When voters discount a candidate for a job because she has the type of skills that would be required of her if she got the job, and give a less experienced person kudos for not having "gone berserk and unzipped his pants or something" in front of a debate audience of tens of millions of people, it makes me wonder if my faith in democracy as the best available form of government is misplaced.

That Trump has gotten as far as he's gotten is an embarrassment and a concern for our nation and for the world. If the American electorate sobers up and elects Clinton, though, at least the Trump things will be held at simply having been embarrassing and concerning. If the American electorate has gone so far over the deep end that they actually elect Trump, though, I think we'll all be facing a very dangerous situation for the next four years, and there will be some things he does that our country will take decades or centuries to recover from, if it ever does.

People really need to understand that this election isn't a reality show. An earlier post compared it to the UK's vote to leave the EU, and I do see some similarities there- particularly in so far as I think some people will be voting for Trump as a protest and then wake up the next day, find out he's President and giving baffling interviews where they say they were just trying to send a message and didn't think he'd actually become President, or feel remorse once they really are faced with the prospect of the President they think they wanted as a definite reality (I base this on interviews with people in the UK who voted to leave the EU and within a day were giving those type of interviews to reporters). One difference, though, is that the UK government has been able to delay a formal declaration of an intent to leave the EU and may work out a bunch of treaties that amount to something similar to EU membership, negating some of the worst of the effects of leaving, whereas if the US electorate votes for Trump, he's going to be President January 20th. There is no constitutional way around awarding the Presidency to whomever gets the majority of the votes in the electoral college (Which are apportioned based on who gets the majority of votes in each state).

We may see some talk about electoral college electors flipping after a Trump victory to try to get Clinton in, but most are bound by state law not to switch, and most of the electors that are sent are handpicked by the winner's campaign. I don't view that as a realistic scenario. The winner of the electoral vote based on the popular vote in each state will become President as they always have.

There is a very slight possibility that the electoral vote will be close enough that a constitutional provision whereby the House of Representatives elects the President and the Senate elects the Vice-President will be triggered, but it would have to be razor sharp with neither candidate reaching 270 electoral votes, and I don't think it's ever happened. Anyone know if it's the *current* House and Senate that would vote on that, or the one that's elected in November that would vote on it?

In any event, the sad reality is that if Trump is elected on November 8, he will 99.9% take office as President on January 20th. The only way to realistically stop him is to vote for Clinton. I hope people do the responsible thing, even if they aren't particularly fans of Clinton or the Democratic Party.

Upvote 0

Vicomte13

Jan 6, 2016
Westport, Connecticut
✟93,837.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
People really need to understand that this election isn't a reality show.

Oh, I think they know that. The reality of huge numbers of Americans is that things are bad, and not getting better at all. The society has moved on, leaving them behind, and there is no prospect for them if things continue on the same road. With Clinton, they will be getting continuity, and that means perpetual suffering and diminution. With Trump, they get an abrupt change, a shakeup of things.

Trump has aimed right at them, focusing on the loss of jobs and the loss of job security for a whole class of Americans, while another class of Americans has gotten richer and more secure.

Obviously that second class of Americans will look after their interests, as they perceive them, and vote for the status quo, which is Hillary. Equally obviously, that first class of Americans will look after their interests, as they perceive them, and vote for Trump to break the status quo in their favor.

The reason Trump will win is that the class of Americans that is disfavored by the status quo now exceeds the numbers of those favored by it.

Hillary is well-qualified to preserve the status quo. Which means that she offers nothing but more misery to the other half plus 2. Trump will break the status quo, which means he is disadvantageous to the 48.

That's where the general election will probably break out: 52-48. Trump will win, and the Senate and House will remain Republican.

And then we will have gridlock again, as the Congress defends the status quo as Hillary would, versus a Trump who is pushing hard for change.

Upvote 0

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Site Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,087,135.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
There is "good change" and bad change.

And the last "agents of change" elected by Americans--the Tea Party--shut down government (at a cost of $29 billion to American taxpayers) and threatened to default on the nation's debts (which would trigger a global depression the likes of which we've never seen).

Trump wonders why we don't just "take Iraq's oil?" and trigger a world war. Why don't we just slap 50% tariffs on Chinese exports (raising costs of goods to consumers whose salaries won't go up by 50%).

I really don't think he would survive the four years (lawyers are already collecting grounds for impeachment). And then what would happen? We'd have a theocratic Tea Party president.

The "undecideds" are college educated white men and suburbanites. I've lived in the suburbs among the college-educated for almost my whole life--and, except here in the anomalous South, they are much, much too bright to be taken in by a crude vulgarian like Trump.

He says he's selling you the shining city on the hill--but believe me, it's the Brooklyn Bridge!

Upvote 0