Feb 9, 2014
✟905,075.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
I don't think it has a place in schools personally as it marginalises minority belief systems in particular areas.

Not everyone is Christian.

If it were an area of high migrant population from Somalia and the majority of students were Muslims, I doubt many would be happy with school prayers being Islamic prayers.

But yeah, so long as Muslims, Hindus, Buddhists, Taoists, Satanists etc are all entitled to equal prayers of their own, that's the main thing.

Upvote 0

Hammster

Psalm 144:1
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,728,699.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
I don't think it has a place in schools personally as it marginalises minority belief systems in particular areas.

If it were an area of high migrant population from Somalia and the majority of students were Muslims, I doubt many would be happy with school prayers being Islamic prayers.

But yeah, so long as Muslims, Hindus, Buddhists, Taoists, Satanists etc are all entitled to equal prayers of their own, that's the main thing.
Just wondering if you read the article. ;)

Upvote 0

timothyu

Dec 31, 2018
up there
✟307,281.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Fail to see how funding schools puts a government in danger of being controlled by religion. There should be no partnership between church and state as we should have learned when the church once teamed up with Rome, blindsiding the Kingdom of God in favour of kingdoms of man. But funding is funding for education. The school is not teaching religion, but perhaps about religion, just like they teach about war without going to war. Silly people.

However before Trump goes about seeking votes by appealing to Christians (as he would no doubt do with any religion if he thought it beneficial) I would like to see him recite the Lord's prayer without a prompter.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

A high school coach praying after a game is not an agent of the U.S. Congress.

• Agree
Reactions: redleghunter
Upvote 0

jgarden

Senior Veteran
Jan 1, 2004
✟106,405.00
Faith
Methodist
President Trump defends prayer in schools

There were Republican presidential candidates in 2016 who actually claimed to be practicing Christians, but American Evangelicals, in their infinite wisdom, chose not to support them to abandon them but voted for this President instead!

II I was an American Evangelical I would be becoming concerned as to how history will judge this alliance and its long term impact on their faith - I suspect it won't be charitable!

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Fantine
Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married

What you are describing is not the issue. Here is the most critical paragraph in the article--

The U.S. Supreme Court banned school-sponsored prayer in public schools in a 1962 decision...But students are allowed to meet and pray on school grounds as long as they do so privately and don't try to force others to do the same.

Examples of students prevented from having a purely personal expression of their faith was cited. One was about a Christian and another was a Muslim.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,728,699.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
I’m not sure why some are having issues with this, unless it’s just because Trump is associated with it. He isn’t defending Christian prayer. He’s defending freedom of religion as practiced by the individual students.

That should be obvious if the article was read.

Upvote 0

jgarden

Senior Veteran
Jan 1, 2004
✟106,405.00
Faith
Methodist
I’m not sure why some are having issues with this, unless it’s just because Trump is associated with it. He isn’t defending Christian prayer. He’s defending freedom of religion as practiced by the individual students.

Prior to becoming a presidential candidate, when did Donald Trump voice any interest in defending Christian prayer, or embrace any of the issues that motivate American Evangelicals?

Upvote 0

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,728,699.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Prior to becoming a presidential candidate, when did Donald Trump voice any interest in defending Christian prayer, or embrace any of the issues that motivate American Evangelicals?
That’s not relevant.

Upvote 0

jgarden

Senior Veteran
Jan 1, 2004
✟106,405.00
Faith
Methodist
That’s not relevant.
Its only irrelevant because "Hammster" is trying to evade answering the question - if Trump had a past history of supporting conservative Christian issues for the first 70 years of his life, he would have only been too glad to make that fact known!

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,669,566.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

You nailed it.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

timothyu

Dec 31, 2018
up there
✟307,281.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
We have freedom of speech. But is there not a time and a place for it, preferably not a movie theatre?

We are not talking Christians having egotistical pride parades through schools hopefully, but simple personal expressions of their faith (regardless of faith) that impose upon no one else.

I had a friend in high school who crossed himself before shooting a basket (and he wasn't even Catholic). No one cared. Yet the 'authorities' suspended us for combing our hair over our foreheads. So go figure what sets people off.

Upvote 0

jgarden

Senior Veteran
Jan 1, 2004
✟106,405.00
Faith
Methodist
President Trump defends prayer in schools

This President didn't appoint Betsy DeVos as Education Secretary `because of any commitment to improve public education, she was tasked with eroding the separation of Church and State whereby the goal is the diversion of government funds to finance private religious schools!

Upvote 0

jgarden

Senior Veteran
Jan 1, 2004
✟106,405.00
Faith
Methodist

GIven that one of this President's first acts was to ban Muslims from entering the country, until it ran afoul of the courts, does anyone seriously believe that Trump has any interest in upholding the rights of individual Muslim students to worship in public schools?

Upvote 0

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,728,699.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Its only irrelevant because "Hammster" is trying to evade answering the question - if Trump had a past history of supporting conservative Christian issues for the first 70 years of his life, he would have only been too glad to make that fact known!
It’s not relevant because he wasn’t president then. I wasn’t a Trump supporter during the campaign simply because he seemed to flip flop on a lot of things. I said that repeatedly.

However, that’s all irrelevant at this point. It’s what he does now that matters.

• Winner
Reactions: Michie
Upvote 0