Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
No it isn’t. A cut is a cut. A cut is less than before. See how that works?

Let’s talk about how inflation works. This year, $1 buys a coffee. If I get govt benefits intended to buy me one coffee, then this year, I’d get $1. Next year, inflation makes a coffee cost $1.10, but if my benefits only go up to $1.05, then the government is now providing less than one coffee. That’s a cut.

Every year, the country’s population grows, the number of people who need benefits grows, inflation grows both tax revenues and the costs borne by the people who need these benefits. If the government is providing less value one year to the next, then it’s cutting benefits even if the actual dollar value is still climbing.

Upvote 0

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,108,968.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
yeah, it is what I personally appreciate about him, unlike Hillary, he doesn’t take anyone for granted.
When evaluating the actions of a narcessist it's hard to tell when they are doing something for good reasons or just to draw attention to themselves.

• Agree
Reactions: GoldenBoy89
Upvote 0

AvilaSurfer

Site Supporter
May 14, 2015
NO
✟936,196.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Let’s talk about how inflation works. This year, $1 buys a coffee. If I get govt benefits intended to buy me one coffee, then this year, I’d get $1. Next year, inflation makes a coffee cost $1.10, but if my benefits only go up to $1.05, then the government is now providing less than one coffee. That’s a cut.

Every year, the country’s population grows, the number of people who need benefits grows, inflation grows both tax revenues and the costs borne by the people who need these benefits. If the government is providing less value one year to the next, then it’s cutting benefits even if the actual dollar value is still climbing.
Zzzzzzzz. He’s not cutting anything.

Upvote 0

KCfromNC

Apr 18, 2007
✟486,683.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Upvote 0

AvilaSurfer

Site Supporter
May 14, 2015
NO
✟936,196.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
From the last few threads on these polls, I think people writing about them need to understand that results like them with error ranges of nearly +/- 10% should be taken with a grain of salt.
I saw a black guy yesterday on HLN predict Trump will get 20% of the Black vote this time.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

KCfromNC

Apr 18, 2007
✟486,683.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
I saw a black guy yesterday on HLN predict Trump will get 20% of the Black vote this time.
Was it Donald's "African American over here"?

Oh, probably not, that guy stopped supporting Donald - Man Trump Called “My African American” Ditches Him Over Whole Racism Thing

Speaking to PBS’s Yamiche Alcindor, Cheadle, a 62-year-old real estate broker, said that he’s ditching Trump, as well as the entire Republican Party, after coming to the realization that the GOP is all about a “pro-white agenda” that uses black people like himself as “political pawns.” According to Alcindor, the straw that broke the camel’s back for Cheadle was watching Republicans line up to defend Trump’s racist attacks on four freshman congresswoman of color who he told to “go back” to “the crime-infested places from which they came,” as well has his attacks on Representative Elijah Cummings, whose Baltimore district Trump described in a series of rants as “disgusting, rat and rodent infested” where “no human being would want to live.”
Again, I think it would be a bad idea to generalize from the opinions of one person to anything about a larger group. But for those who are inclined to cherry-pick single examples to back up their preconceptions stories like this should be a cautionary tale.

Upvote 0

hislegacy

Memories pre 2021
Site Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟701,661.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
We will obviously have to bombard them with facts.

like rising wages, lowest unemployment ever, 7,000,000 off food stamps and Opportunity Zones pouring money into minority communities?

Upvote 0

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Site Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,089,808.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Too often I have seen opportunity zone money usurped by suburbs wanting bigger malls. Mist of the people off food stamps came from tightening standards, not lower need. As for the jobs and wages, you would have to show me from an objective news site. Trump often tries to take credit for the years of economic growth created by his predecessor.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Site Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,089,808.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
The news from Fact Check:
Black unemployment has gone down, along with all unemployment. A seven year trend which began in the Obama administration, and for which the Obama administration deserves most of the credit (jobs are still growing under Trump, but more slowly than under Obama.)
Trump Takes Undue Credit on Black Unemployment
Meanwhile, however, the gap between white and black unemployment remains largely unchanged under Trump. While black unemployment fell to 6.8 percent in December, the white unemployment rate that month was 3.7 percent. So the white rate is 46 percent lower than the black rate, about the same as the gap in December 2016.

In terms of wage growth, there are lots of factors to consider. There has been inflation in the past few years. Wage contracts tied to the rate of inflation will increase, but that doesn't mean that workers are doing better.

To read about it, look here:

Are Wages Rising or Flat?

Generally, "real" wages plummeted from the 1970's through about 1996 and have been rising since then. This can be interpreted in many different ways. Trump, as usual, is trying to take all the credit for trends he inherited, and "real" wages after inflation are about the same as they were in the 1970's.

Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

I've already read the books you want burned.
Apr 15, 2012
Behind the 8-ball, but ahead of the curve.
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
First Presidential pace car.

looks like it was fun.

video shows the warm reception from Indy fans and the motorcades as the pace car.

Once again we've reached the point where POTUS not getting booed by a crowd is newsworthy.

• Haha
Reactions: KCfromNC
Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

I've already read the books you want burned.
Apr 15, 2012
Behind the 8-ball, but ahead of the curve.
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
That made me laugh!

Thanks for the chuckle

Anytime... I figured after the World Series and UFC, and Melania getting booed at the B'More Youth Summit, he could use a chuckle more...

Upvote 0