• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.
  6. We are no longer allowing posts or threads that deny the existence of Covid-19. Members have lost loved ones to this virus and are grieving. As a Christian site, we do not need to add to the pain of the loss by allowing posts that deny the existence of the virus that killed their loved one. Future post denying the Covid-19 existence, calling it a hoax, will be addressed via the warning system.

Presbyterian V.S. Catholic

Discussion in 'Friendship Court' started by sparkyZ kitt3n, Oct 6, 2003.

1. sparkyZ kitt3n

sparkyZ kitt3n New Member

+0
    I know this is a weird question, but what is the diff. between Presbyterian and Catholic? I'm trying to get me and my b/f more into church and things like that but he is Presbyterian and I am Catholic, we want to go to church together, and if it comes down to it I'll convert, but I'd first like to know all the pro's and con's of each. Thanxz!

We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. I can eat 50 eggs

I can eat 50 eggs what we have here is a failure to communicate

+16
    Christian
    whoa there!
    first, there are a TON of differences between the two churches. I would really really really suggest you NOT convert for a boyfriend, especially at age 15! I know it may not seem like it now, but, most likely, in 2 years you will no longer be a couple, but you will still have your relationship with God.

MAJOR differences (and I'm not an expert on presby's so help me out here)
    1. Sola Scriptura. Presby's, and all protestants believe in only the bible as the source of beliefs and doctorine, while the RCC (Roman Catholic Church) teaches that the Bible, and the teachings of the church are the guide for believers lifes.
    2. Sola Fide. Protestants believe that your salvation is based solely upon your faith in Christ, while the RCC believes that it starts with faith in christ, but is also dependent on how you live your life.
    3. the Eucharist. The RCC teaches that the body and blood is really and truly present in the Eucharist, while presby's see it as only a symbol used to remember Christ.
    4. Sacraments. Presby's don't have them....

would you like more info on any of these?

3. sparkyZ kitt3n

+0
    I know it seems stupid that I want to convert b/c of my b/f, but that is deff. one thing that I'm thinking about. But just by the sounds of your reply it soulds like the Catholic religion is deff. a lot better than the Presbyterian religion. Thanxz for the help!

4. Dawn Marie

Dawn Marie Soda for Wine

+124
    Canada
    Catholic
    Single
    CA-Greens
    Neither one is better than the other. They are not THAT different. Though I will admit there are a few small differences.

I have to agree with the person who can eat 50 eggs... do not convert for your boyfriend. You should only convert if you honestly disagree with Catholicism or whatever.

You can still go to church together. Christians are Christians.

5. Blessed-one

Blessed-one a long journey ahead

+172
    Protestant
    Single
    ... seems strange to convert just because of someone, after all, this is a personal relationship between you and God alone. I would suggest you to make a thread in the Interdenominational dialogue forum for more in depth insights, and pray about it more before making a decision.

6. sparkyZ kitt3n

+0
    I talked about it w/ one of mah friends that is presbyterian and he said that there is really no diff. other than Catholic's are more strict. He also said that we could get married in a Presbyterian church (if we were to get married) and our children could be baptised Catholic (if we one day do have children). Thanxz though.

7. Dawn Marie

Dawn Marie Soda for Wine

+124
    Canada
    Catholic
    Single
    CA-Greens
    Well, I don't think that's the difference. I'd take Blessed-one's advice - post about it in the interdenominational dialogue forum.

8. set free in Christ

set free in Christ New Member

+2
    Non-Denom
    You have the same situation that me and my wife had. I was Methodist, she Catholic. We both thought we were christians but we were not. We got married in the Catholic church.

My most important question is do you have a personal relationship with Jesus Christ. Do you know him personally thru the Holy Spirit. In some church terms..."are you saved". That is the most important question.

I don't quite agree that there are not that many diffenences. One day I was at church with her and I flipped out when I found out that the priest was going to go out to the parking lot and "bless the cars". I had never heard of doing such a thing. Going to the priest to confess your sins. Pergatory, praying for the dead. Like I said I was not a christian at the time, now I am. I even think at one time they refered to the pope as "God on earth".. correct me if I was wrong then or now. I figured every time the pope died they elected a new god. He (th pope) is no diffenent of a man than I am. Also I do not look to the "church" for guidance... I look to the holy spirit.