San Diego, CA, USA
✟20,180.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
Sometimes when i mention my background to other Christians and how I attended a Presbyterian Church for several years, i find im met with many negative a reactions to Presbyterians. Ive heard people say they have gone to different Presbyterian churches that most Presbyterians the have met are very unfriendly and cold, and any presbyterian churches they have gone to have been very unwelcoming. Ive even met many Presbyterians they left for other denominations for these same reason. These people see most if all Presbyterians like this and for these reason refuse to consider going to a Presbyterian Church ever again.

My own experiences have been quite the opposite and id go back to my old church easily if i was in the same city, but my question is as Presbyterians do you find similar reactions by people, how true do you find what they say to be true. What makes you think cause them to have this opinion about Presbyterians?

kenrapoza

I Like Ice Cream
Aug 20, 2006
Massachusetts
✟11,878.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
That's interesting. Like yourself, my experiences in the Presbyterian church have been the exact opposite. In fact, the PCA church that I am at now is much more welcoming than the large, non-denomenational evangelical church that I came from. I also haven't found much of that reaction from other people that I talk to, so I'm surprised that you've found it so much.

I'm not sure why people would have that perception. The first thing that comes to my mind is that the Reformed are known for their emphasis on the correct understanding of doctrine and Scripture. This obviously extends to confessional Presbyterians as well. We aren't as emotive as other Christians because we don't believe that emotional manipulation by a Pastor or worship team is evidence of the moving of the Holy Spirit. We are more objective than the emotive evangelicals, placing our emphasis on God's external Word and means of grace.

However, with all that being said, it's not as if we aren't passionate about our faith. In fact we are, but we express it differently than many other Christians because we don't believe passion gives us a license to worship God in any way we want, ignoring the guidelines He has set down for us in Scripture. The Regulative Principle of Worship plays in real big here, and affects how other Christians see us. They don't normally understsand the idea. They are not used to being instructed on what is appropriate and what is inappropriate, but are used to just having their own way.

• Winner
Reactions: Heavenhome
Upvote 0
M

mannysee

If you attend the majority of churches with the label of presbyterian here in Oz, you will find a degree of reserve in the majority of people.
I don't know why this is.
It is quite frustrating to me, being Australian (as Aussies are generally known for their friendly / open ways), and coming across this.

In fact, I think this is why you will be hard pressed to find many young caucasian Australians at presbyterian churches. They have moved to the contemporary-type baptist and the increasing Hillsong type churches, which have a majority of younger people make-up.

And I can't see this ever changing. More frustration.

Upvote 0

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,148,308.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
It would be interesting to see what people think of as being friendly. Presbyterian churches tend to put a higher priority on theology and proper worship than some churches. The Presbyterian churches that I know (PCUSA) are friendly, but maybe people are used to things we don't do. There's a kind of happiness in some churches that I think of as plastic smiles, but presumably some people like that.

Upvote 0

secret_vesper

Jan 10, 2011
✟15,111.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
In Relationship
I personally have to disagree with these stereotypes that you've been told. I have been raised in the Presbyterian Church my entire life and I personally have always found it very welcoming, at times, much more welcoming than other churches I have attended. Despite being known as the 'radical' side of the family from the other half of my mother's family (Who are very conservative Methodists) I have personally always believe that we are kind to all who come to our doors, no matter what the age, race, nationality or beliefs are. If anything, I believe we are one of the more welcoming churches.
Yes, my church personally doesn't have a contemporary 'youth' service, but our sermons are usually engaging and pretty funny at times without taking away from the meaning and purpose of it.

Upvote 0

MoreCoffee

Repentance works.
Jan 8, 2011
Near the flying spaghetti monster
✟57,848.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
I used to go to Westminster Presbyterian Church (WPC) in WA and the folk there were friendly - I wonder if maybe the folk who think Presbyterians are unfriendly think that way because they do not share Calvinist theological values and don't feel comfortable so they don't fit in very well.

My experience was that WPC was rather theological - wearing Calvinism on its sleeve.

Upvote 0

cajunhillbilly

Jul 4, 2004
Dallas, TX
✟16,522.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Politics
US-Republican
I would say that I have found most Presbyterian churches to be very welcoming. While attending Westminster Seminary I attended New Life Presbyterian in Jenkintown under Dr Miller. A very welcoming church. I am now a strange bird. I tell people theologically I am somewhere halfway between Presbyterian and Anglican.

Upvote 0

AngCath

Jul 7, 2005
✟12,588.00
Faith
Anglican
The one time I visited a Presbyterian church, my family and I were made to feel very welcome. An usher handed us the leaflet with worship information as well as described how the service would look. Before the service started the pastor came over and introduced himself as well. Following the service several members of the congregation came over and talked with us as well. All in all, one of the friendliest experiences I've ever had as a visitor was at a Presbyterian church.

Upvote 0
M

mannysee

I used to go to Westminster Presbyterian Church (WPC) in WA and the folk there were friendly - I wonder if maybe the folk who think Presbyterians are unfriendly think that way because they do not share Calvinist theological values and don't feel comfortable so they don't fit in very well.

My experience was that WPC was rather theological - wearing Calvinism on its sleeve.

WPC eh? hmmn. Which one?
Now you've crossed the Tiber, as they say.
That would be an interesting read in itself.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

MoreCoffee

Repentance works.
Jan 8, 2011
✟57,848.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
WPC eh? hmmn. Which one?
Now you've crossed the Tiber, as they say.
That would be an interesting read in itself.
For the sake of my personal privacy I won't mention that specific congregation. I was, however, not the only one to swim the Tiber. Several years earlier than myself one of the elders in Bull Creek swam the Tiber too. I didn't know him well, but I did know his a little.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,148,308.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
My guess is that when people claim Presbyterian churches are cold, they don't mean that people are personally unfriendly, but that they're looking for a more exciting service. While some of our kids might like that, our adults lead busy enough lives anyway. They like a structured, calm service that gives them something to think about.

Upvote 0

Calvinist Dark Lord

Apr 8, 2003
Near Pittsburgh, which is NOT in Scotland!
✟27,806.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
My guess is that when people claim Presbyterian churches are cold, they don't mean that people are personally unfriendly, but that they're looking for a more exciting service. While some of our kids might like that, our adults lead busy enough lives anyway. They like a structured, calm service that gives them something to think about.
Actually, the most recent surveys that i've seen indicate that our kids want Church, and not the neo-hippy, pseudo psychobabble encounter groups that their parents favoured, and that appears to be the norm among so-called "seeker sensitive" churches today.

As a result, some of the more traditional forms and more structured liturgical worship groups are seeing a resurgence of younger people.

Upvote 0

kenrapoza

I Like Ice Cream
Aug 20, 2006
Massachusetts
✟11,878.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Actually, the most recent surveys that i've seen indicate that our kids want Church, and not the neo-hippy, pseudo psychobabble encounter groups that their parents favoured, and that appears to be the norm among so-called "seeker sensitive" churches today.

As a result, some of the more traditional forms and more structured liturgical worship groups are seeing a resurgence of younger people.

I've been hearing similar things for quite a while. Many of the younger generation are turned off by what they perceive as the vacuous consumerism of their parents - they're not impressed by Powerpoint and pop music, which they can get anywhere. A lot of them actually want a reason to be there. Of course, there are also quite a few immature kids who just want the seeker sensitive "exciting" silliness.

Upvote 0
M

mannysee

For the sake of my personal privacy I won't mention that specific congregation. I was, however, not the only one to swim the Tiber. Several years earlier than myself one of the elders in Bull Creek swam the Tiber too. I didn't know him well, but I did know his a little.

That's fine. I thought you might say so.
We may have walked past each other.

Upvote 0

MoreCoffee

Repentance works.
Jan 8, 2011
✟57,848.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
That's fine. I thought you might say so.
We may have walked past each other.
That's possible. I was in WPC for about 12 years. I'd been in a Pentecostal congregation before that (for 1.5 years) and a Baptist congregation before that (for 3 years).
=====
PS: looking at your conversion date It isn't too likely that we've met. I left WPC in 1995.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

kenrapoza

I Like Ice Cream
Aug 20, 2006
Massachusetts
✟11,878.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
That's possible. I was in WPC for about 12 years. I'd been in a Pentecostal congregation before that (for 1.5 years) and a Baptist congregation before that (for 3 years).
=====
PS: looking at your conversion date It isn't too likely that we've met. I left WPC in 1995.

Wow - you've certainly been around the church block a couple times. Was the Pentecostal congregation affiliated with Hillsong?

Upvote 0

MoreCoffee

Repentance works.
Jan 8, 2011
✟57,848.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Wow - you've certainly been around the church block a couple times. Was the Pentecostal congregation affiliated with Hillsong?
No. It was Assemblies of God. I believe that in Australia the AOG has changed its name to something like "Australian Christian Church", I could check on the web but I am just about to go out so It'll have to wait.

Upvote 0

kenrapoza

I Like Ice Cream
Aug 20, 2006
Massachusetts
✟11,878.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
No. It was Assemblies of God. I believe that in Australia the AOG has changed its name to something like "Australian Christian Church", I could check on the web but I am just about to go out so It'll have to wait.

Oh it's no problem. I was wondering if there was any connection with Hillsong because they are the largest Assemblies of God congregation in Australia and tend to be hugely influential with their commercially produced music cd's.

Upvote 0

MoreCoffee

Repentance works.
Jan 8, 2011
✟57,848.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
I was never much of a Pentecostal; I never got around to miracles & tongues and stuff like that. When I left it was because the pastor of the AOG church I was going to had swapped from being fairly Calvinist to being fairly "word of faith" and I said to him that I was uncomfortable with the change. I left and joined WPC.

Upvote 0