Preferred dress code for church

What is your preferred dress code for church?

• Looking my Sunday best

Votes: 10 17.5%
  • Modest clothing or business casual

Votes: 39 68.4%
  • Completely casual - shorts, flipflops, etc.

Votes: 8 14.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

PoppyB

Apr 5, 2019
Bolton
✟30,915.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
But church is never meant to be a business. Of course it has to be run and administered properly but it is supposed to be inclusive and not exclusive. Those churches with strict dress codes seem to prefer to be social clubs which exclude outsiders who don't fit into their snobbish ways. Jesus would never turn anybody away or make them feel small or shamed because they weren't wearing the 'right' clothes.
Inclusive // exclusive

each when properly accomplished.

Include all members in Christ Jesus' Body, Ekklesia from anywhere.

Exclude all who are supposed to be excluded. (according to Yahuweh's Word).

In the assemblies of Ekklesia living properly as Yahuweh says to, if someone shows up

without sufficient 'dress' or simply they are embarrassed and need more clothing,

the assembly supplies all that is needed without charge and with no shame at all attached.

Upvote 0

PoppyB

Apr 5, 2019
Bolton
✟30,915.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I voted the second option myself. "Modest"
I didn't vote as I don't like any of the options. Obviously it would be modest, but then that should be the norm at all times. Business casual I don't understand. Modest shorts and flips flops ok sometimes in extreme weather coz it's hard to keep focused on God when you are sweltering in a suit and tie. And unlike the poorer working classes back in the days most people today have more than just work clothes and Sunday best clothes. Back then they had no choice, it had to be Sunday best or work gear. My option would be decent everyday clothes so that nobody stands out.

Upvote 0

RaymondG

Nov 15, 2016
USA
✟268,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I don't know any men who wear suits apart from to weddings and then they are mostly hired. Most ordinary men don't even own suits these days. Men in suits are usually only to be found in business or at the wealthier end of society.
Growing up, I was forced to wear suits and tie to church....could not participate in anything unless you had it on.....But I was a child....so I did not judge and condemn like we older folks are accustomed to doing.....I just obeyed.

Now, Im use to wearing them, and feel comfortable doing so, and it is a habit that isnt evil...therefore I feel no strong desire to break it......it is just clothes.

Now, should I stop, because there are a few people who would call me snubbish or think that I think im better, when it is, in fact, an ingrained habit? Wouldnt the one assuming the other is a snub, be exactly the same as the one who dress up to appear great, looking down on the poor who cant get the right clothes?

Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟947,218.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
I don't know any men who wear suits apart from to weddings and then they are mostly hired. Most ordinary men don't even own suits these days. Men in suits are usually only to be found in business or at the wealthier end of society.

The absence of a suit doesn’t make a man ordinary. Today’s culture is more casual. That wasn’t always the case. Many men are reacquainting themselves with gentlemanly behavior and attributes. That includes a different style of dress.

• Informative
Reactions: ChicanaRose
Upvote 0

PoppyB

Apr 5, 2019
Bolton
✟30,915.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Inclusive // exclusive

each when properly accomplished.

Include all members in Christ Jesus' Body, Ekklesia from anywhere.

Exclude all who are supposed to be excluded. (according to Yahuweh's Word).

In the assemblies of Ekklesia living properly as Yahuweh says to, if someone shows up

without sufficient 'dress' or simply they are embarrassed and need more clothing,

the assembly supplies all that is needed without charge and with no shame at all attached.
Church is supposed to include and welcome all those who come regardless of status or wealth but to insist on a dress code is to make some people who may be genuinely seeking God feel excluded if they can't live up to the standards required of them in the wardrobe department.

Upvote 0

RaymondG

Nov 15, 2016
USA
✟268,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Church is supposed to include and welcome all those who come regardless of status or wealth but to insist on a dress code is to make some people who may be genuinely seeking God feel excluded if they can't live up to the standards required of them in the wardrobe department.
Not too many churches demand that visitor dress a certain way.....it is when you join that a gradual change is expected......and most that I know are willing to finance that change......buy clothes and give it to the one who arent able to get it for themselves.

Upvote 0

Go Braves

I miss Senator McCain
May 18, 2017
Atlanta
✟15,568.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
Depends on the church I'm attending that Sunday. I was raised Baptist. I went to a Catholic HS. Fell in love with a Catholic gal, so now going with her. At both the Catholic church & the Baptist church in Atlanta, it's common for folks to wear jeans, usually with a nice shirt. Lots of the ladies wear casual dresses. They're not in panty hose & heels, but they look nice. My grandparents retired to a rural farming area. A lot of folks there don't have the occasion to dress up during the week, so dressing up on Sunday has always been a big deal for them. When I'm there, I wear full slacks, a short sleeve shirt in the summer, and a tie. Ladies wear panty hose even in the blazing hot summer. God be with them. They do this out of choice. They really enjoy getting dressed up. So I say go for it. If they can handle it, well all the respect in the world to them.

At the Baptist church in Atlanta, it's much more casual. It's right near a big park, they want to encourage folks who are just at that park enjoying their Sunday to feel welcome to walk right on in. Same with the Catholic church. They keep their doors open. Want to welcome in all. On account of that you'll see some in shorts & a tee shirt. That's fine. Some dress up more, that's fine too.

• Informative
Upvote 0

PoppyB

Apr 5, 2019
Bolton
✟30,915.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Growing up, I was forced to wear suits and tie to church....could not participate in anything unless you had it on.....But I was a child....so I did not judge and condemn like we older folks are accustomed to doing.....I just obeyed.

Now, Im use to wearing them, and feel comfortable doing so, and it is a habit that isnt evil...therefore I feel no strong desire to break it......it is just clothes.

Now, should I stop, because there are a few people who would call me snubbish or think that I think im better, when it is, in fact, an ingrained habit? Wouldnt the one assuming the other is a snub, be exactly the same as the one who dress up to appear great, looking down on the poor who cant get the right clothes?
You are free to choose to wear a suit or not, that's not the issue. I have nothing against the wearing of suits per se. It's when you don't have a choice and you are forced into it that I'm objecting to. When I was a little girl I had to wear a hat and white gloves to go out on Sundays but soon kicked that into touch as it was pure snobbery on my dad's part. But again I have nothing against a person's choice of hat and gloves etc. Jesus said he came to make us free and so I am now free of all those restrictions and nobody should be forced into them.

Upvote 0

PoppyB

Apr 5, 2019
Bolton
✟30,915.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Not too many churches demand that visitor dress a certain way.....it is when you join that a gradual change is expected......and most that I know are willing to finance that change......buy clothes and give it to the one who arent able to get it for themselves.
I don't know why change should be expected. We should all be free to be ourselves and express our personalities in what we wear.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

PoppyB

Apr 5, 2019
Bolton
✟30,915.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The absence of a suit doesn’t make a man ordinary.
When I used the word 'ordinary' I meant the majority of working class men, especially younger men, as opposed to the wealthier end of society.

• Informative
Upvote 0

RaymondG

Nov 15, 2016
USA
✟268,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I don't know why change should be expected. We should all be free to be ourselves and express our personalities in what we wear.
If you own a house and installed carpets, that you do not wear shoes on..... Should other be free to come in out the rain and walk on your carpet? For they, too, feel that they should be free to wear what they desire, anywhere they go....and need not respect the wishes of the people that live in the house?

Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟947,218.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
When I used the word 'ordinary' I meant the majority of working class men, especially younger men, as opposed to the wealthier end of society.

I know what you meant. But it still comes down to choices. Some men prefer a shirt and tie and others don’t. That’s true for all socioeconomic levels.

• Informative
Upvote 0

PoppyB

Apr 5, 2019
Bolton
✟30,915.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If you own a house and installed carpets, that you do not wear shoes on..... Should other be free to come in out the rain and walk on your carpet? For they, too, feel that they should be free to wear what they desire, anywhere they go....and need not respect the wishes of the people that live in the house?
That is not the point mate. The point is we do not have to dress up to come into God's presence on one day of the week when we don't on the other six. And we are in his presence at all times, even in our pyjamas or naked in the shower. He loves us. He doesn't care what we wear. He leaves it to us.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

PoppyB

Apr 5, 2019
Bolton
✟30,915.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I know what you meant. But it still comes down to choices. Some men prefer a shirt and tie and others don’t. That’s true for all socioeconomic levels.
Like I said I don't know any who do.

• Informative
Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
He doesn't care what we wear. He leaves it to us.
Rather He cares enough to correct us, to chastise us, even to scourge us, as a perfect Father scourges His son. The one who is without discipline, without scourging, is not His child.

Upvote 0

PoppyB

Apr 5, 2019
Bolton
✟30,915.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Sorry, no. Loose and lascivious and immodest character or clothes or speech is common of the world,
but never of Christ or His disciples.
Who said anything about loose and lascivious and immodest. I don't know any Christian, male or female, to whom that would apply.

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Who said anything about loose and lascivious and immodest. I don't know any Christian, male or female, to whom that would apply.
If they "wore whatever they wanted" , as is the case for many who call themselves Christian, it would apply daily.

• Useful
Reactions: RaymondG
Upvote 0

PoppyB

Apr 5, 2019
Bolton
✟30,915.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Rather He cares enough to correct us, to chastise us, even to scourge us, as a perfect Father scourges His son. The one who is without discipline, without scourging, is not His child.
Really? Because we don't wear suits and ties? I think that's a bit far fetched.

• Agree
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.